• All Purchases made this month instantly go into the draw to win a USD $ 100.00 credit to your HoP account.

Forums > Beginner Poi Moves > does anyone else think the poi forum has died?

Login/Join to Participate
Page: 12
[Nx?]
BRONZE Member since Nov 2001

[Nx?]

Carpal \'Tunnel

Total posts: 3749
Posted:or is at least on life support in a vegative state,

have we really so little left to say?

there were all thease bright hard new worlds of anti-spins and wibbles and atoms.....

anyone got anything concrete and cool to share?

like richee whom i have been badgering ive posted a discussion thread in the moves forum.

sorry redface

T wave

This is a post by tom, all spelling is deleberate
-><- Kallisti

Delete Topic

Durbs
BRONZE Member since Sep 2001

Durbs

Classically British

Total posts: 5688
Posted:Perhaps, it's slowed down because recently people stopped coming up with moves and coming up with concepts/families?

e.g. Antispin - as a concept, gives you months of work to try and anti-spin every move you know, not to mention the anti-spin specific moves. Likewise to some extent hybirds which can be applied to loads of split/time moves...

Burner of Toast
Spinner of poi
Slacker of enormous magnitude

Delete

garthy
SILVER Member since Apr 2002

garthy

old hand

Total posts: 717
Posted:Don't forget Quarter time Hybrids wink tongue

"**grumble*spuriouswindmills*grumble**" - Coleman
"if poi was only for girls there wouldnt be many good poi spinners...." - Nx

Delete

87wt2gxq7

87wt2gxq7

veteran

Total posts: 1502
Posted: Written by: _khan_

I've only been around a couple of years -- both on HoP and spinning in general. In that time, it seems like a whole buttload of innovations have come along. A factor in the relative quiet on these boards could simply be people taking the time to fully assimilate all the new concepts and moves that have sprung up. And two years isn't really all that long a period of time.

I was going to say something similar. Poi is getting really big. That means there's a glut of people (myself included) who say they spin poi but have yet to learn how to isolate, antispin, hyperloop, wibble etc etc properly.

Personally speaking, only when I have a firm grasp of all those concepts (by which I mean: can do them in any way cleanly!) will I feel I have something to contribute to the Poi Moves forum.

In the meantime newbies like me hang out in the Social Chat/Discussion forums because one of the best aspects of spinning poi is the social scene that comes with it. I think people at my level use HoP thinking along the lines of "there's no way I'll ever be able to catch up with what The Ubers are doing, but in the meantime I'll spin a bit and hang out on HoP with like-minded people."

Surely that can't be a bad thing?

In the meantime the Poi Moves section is a fantastic resource for people like me who have plenty to learn but don't have anything useful to post.

Was that useful? wink

Delete

bluecat

bluecat

geek, level 1

Total posts: 5300
Posted:yes, muchly, thanks.

smile

makes social make much more sense...

Holistic Spinner (I hope)

Delete

Olive
GOLD Member since Jun 2004

Olive

enthusiast

Total posts: 286
Posted:I think poi (and any manipulation discipline in general) as never been up to the level that we currently have : thanks the internet, videos and various meets
and never before have I had so many ideas to combine
>>>
So the question is more:
- how many cards do you want in your play ?
- how many cards do you need to play

I dont think we need more concepts ... what we need is people that develop their own style, combos, sequence
simply PLAY
... and DANCE BADLY

Delete

Suibom

Suibom

addict

Total posts: 577
Posted:What I want to see is that crazy sect of semi-hidden sports that has already taken poi to an intense level and most of us just dont' really know about it. Kinda like when a contact staffer is introduced to baton twirling vids :P. Anyone have the links to open our eyes?

Peace,
- Sui

Definition of poi- A Hawaiian food made from the tuber of the taro that is cooked, pounded to a paste, and fermented.

Ahnold discussing poi - "It is naht a toober!"

Delete

Moloch
SILVER Member since Dec 2006

Moloch

Shirt-Cocker Extraordinaire

Total posts: 47
Posted:I will soon, im working on my own style, might be fresh, might be stupid, i cant wait to get crossers and flowers now smile

Delete

-sandy-
BRONZE Member since Jul 2004

-sandy-

old hand

Total posts: 716
Posted: Written by: bluecat

i'm waiting for the first negative space wibbler, myself wink

i have footage of oli doing just that at play, recon it will make the dvd biggrin

"Don't do it naked!"

Delete

Yakumo
SILVER Member since May 2006

Yakumo

veteran

Total posts: 1237
Posted: Written by: Suibom

What I want to see is that crazy sect of semi-hidden sports that has already taken poi to an intense level and most of us just dont' really know about it. Kinda like when a contact staffer is introduced to baton twirling vids :P. Anyone have the links to open our eyes?

Peace,
- Sui

Sadly, the only thing I currently know of remotely like that, the crowds go mental for a 3 beat weave, let alone repeat crossing.
though I'm the only person I've seen trying to bodyhop poi so far, but I can't do it, yet rolleyes
I'm sure I could have got there if it wasn't destroying MCP's appartment ubblol

Chinese paired 9 section whip is what I'm thinking about smile

Blinded by Hyperlights, please donate generously grin

Delete

87wt2gxq7

87wt2gxq7

veteran

Posted:bodyhop?

Delete

Yakumo

Yakumo

veteran

Posted:http://youtube.com/watch?v=iMZNAB9MeEc
br>

35 seconds in, is done with doubles too, same as a low wave , bar it being flat on your back smile

Delete

87wt2gxq7

87wt2gxq7

veteran

Posted:will watch when not at work.
sounds exciting though! wink

Delete

Yakumo

Yakumo

veteran

Posted:actually, thinking about it some more I've never seen anyone doing it with a windmill like trick, they just keeping one in front, and one underneath if doing it with two.

clearly I must work on this and tour china biggrin

though I'd get beaten up for dishonouring their martial arts by learning whip stuff without the martial art behind it ubblol

EDITED_BY: Yakumo (1168443406)

Delete

mcp
PLATINUM Member since May 2003

mcp

Flying Water Muppet

Total posts: 5276
Posted: Written by: Yakumo

though I'm the only person I've seen trying to bodyhop poi so far, but I can't do it, yet rolleyes

Here's my big fat pin for your cosy bubble:

2:18

sorry hug

"the now legendary" - Kaskade
"the still legendary" - Kaskade

I spunked in my friend's aquarium and the fish ate it. I love all fish. Especially the pink ones. They are my bitches. - Anon.

Delete

Yakumo

Yakumo

veteran

Posted:no, I have to watch it then my '*I* have not seen' comment stays smile

Delete

Yakumo

Yakumo

veteran

Posted:succumbed..

oo, what a bunch of drama queens smile
And I can't beleive they added fuel to the poi, live, with no unlit canned spin off with a crowd like that.

after all that, it's not a body hop, he's just rolling ubblol

ta tho, you've given me the motivation to work on it properly smile

Delete

TheWibbler
GOLD Member since Apr 2003

old hand

Total posts: 920
Posted:There definitely has been a slowing down in discussion recently.

I think that a lot of the main areas of poi have been mapped out, discussed, argued about, hypothesised about, played with, etc etc,

Perhaps this is just another chapter, one that doesn't rely on huge debate and conceptualisation, but perhaps is more to do with practice and understanding.

You know how when you spin there's times when you learn a heap of new ideas, and there's times when you learn nothing new, but concrete all that new stuff in place. AKA 'The Lull'

Well perhaps what we are seeing is this effect on the whole community.

I'm fairly confident that the majority of areas of poi have been discussed, sure there's lots more stuff to come up with but there's not so many completely new concepts to come up with. I mean we've taken a lot of inspiration from juggling, yoyo, meteor, contact things, club swinging and so on.

I know someones gonna disagree and think there's still heaps to do with poi, and there is, i just think that a large ammount of new stuff will fit into the structure we already have, i mean there's only so many ways to mathematically alter a sine wave. You can use lots of different modifiers together, like an isolated anti-spun inverted weave, but that doesn't make it a funamentally new weave.

ramble ramble

conclusion = new phase, no bad thing smile

m

Spherculism ~:~ The Act of becoming Spherculish.

Delete

NYC

NYC

NYC

Total posts: 9232
Posted:Duh.

It's winter.

It always slows down this time of year because of the weather.

Then in spring when it warms up everyone is outside trying crazy new tricks.

And don't give me that "Opposite Weather in Australia" crap again becuase that's obviously just urban legend.

Well, shall we go?
Yes, let's go.
[They do not move.]

Delete

NYC

NYC

NYC

Total posts: 9232
Posted:Or maybe it's the law of diminishing returns.

I think that's what did it for me.

The excitement of getting your 54th move just doesn't match the excitement of getting your first.

I wonder if that's what separates obsessive people? Are they still getting the same dose of dopamine that they got when they started?

*shrug*

Well, shall we go?
Yes, let's go.
[They do not move.]

Delete

Spanner
BRONZE Member since Feb 2003

Spanner

remembers when it was all fields round here

Total posts: 2790
Posted: Written by: 87wt2gxq7

I was going to say something similar. Poi is getting really big. That means there's a glut of people (myself included) who say they spin poi but have yet to learn how to isolate, antispin, hyperloop, wibble etc etc properly.

Personally speaking, only when I have a firm grasp of all those concepts (by which I mean: can do them in any way cleanly!) will I feel I have something to contribute to the Poi Moves forum.

In the meantime newbies like me hang out in the Social Chat/Discussion forums because one of the best aspects of spinning poi is the social scene that comes with it. I think people at my level use HoP thinking along the lines of "there's no way I'll ever be able to catch up with what The Ubers are doing, but in the meantime I'll spin a bit and hang out on HoP with like-minded people."

That's a good description of what I've been doing here for the past 4 years ubblol

"Do a search" to regulars just means "do a search" but "do a search" to a newbie - new to poi, HoP, forum "etiquette" or all 3 - can sound like "go and ask someone else" frown

I've also noticed that some technical/moves threads in general define moves well, but don't give much advice about how they're done. Of course solely text based discussion has its restrictions but not finding solutions to them renders the moves forums rather pointless for anything...

(...apart from maybe the more experienced of spinners continuing the technical discussions they had between themselves in person at a meet a couple of days ago biggrin That doesn't account for most of the forum content but I'm sure many can understand how it can seem that at times "you'd have to have been there" )

With regard to both of those points: I think many experienced spinners forget that it's easy when you know how and I think that at least trying out a newbie forum may be a good remedy for them smile

"I thought you are man, but
you are nice woman.

yay,

:R"

Delete

Rovo
GOLD Member since Jul 2003

Rovo

(the person actually known as Chris Bailey)

Total posts: 544
Posted: Written by: NYC

Or maybe it's the law of diminishing returns.

I think that's what did it for me.

The excitement of getting your 54th move just doesn't match the excitement of getting your first.

I wonder if that's what separates obsessive people? Are they still getting the same dose of dopamine that they got when they started?

*shrug*

I agree that learning your 54th new move is not anywheres near the same abount of excitement as say when you learned the 3-beat weave but I think as spinners progress other goals, like discovering new concepts and variations on existing moves, creating a unique performance style, or pushing one area of spinning to it's limits, take precedence and meeting these goals can be just as rewarding as learning those first few moves.

So I guess I wouldn't say these people (like me) are obsessive but are only finding the inspiration to continue practicing in other places.

Peace, Love, Circles

Delete

PK_
BRONZE Member since Dec 2001

PK_

Lambretta Fanatic

Total posts: 4991
Posted: Written by: NYC

Duh.

It's winter.

wink wear a coat... dont play outside naked nyc, you will catch your death. hug have a hug to keep yourself warm, then take yourself off to learn your 55th move. ubbidea then come back and tell me all about it cos it's probably some thing that i cant do... cos i've got poo! frown

PK.

"To be an angel, one need not have wings.
In giving love there is an equal grace.
Nor need one seek the aura in the face,
As love unveils the beauty of all things."

*Francois Couperin.

Delete

_Clare_
BRONZE Member since Oct 2002

_Clare_

Still wiggling

Total posts: 5967
Posted:Maybe cos it's winter, maybe because January is always a bit quiet...

Maybe because moves were discovered really fast for a couple of years, and now it's settling down so everyone can actually practice and learn them.

Maybe people are starting to dance bounce

But replying to a Durbsian comment a couple of pages back (and it was read really quickly, so sorry if I mis-interrpreted)... does body movement and presentation necessarily mean performance?

Isn't it possible to dance and present the object for manipulation in a nice and clean way without the final aim of the practice being performance? (since that word seems to be a bit socially unacceptable, occasionally)

shrug

smile

Getting to the other side smile

Delete

Durbs
BRONZE Member since Sep 2001

Durbs

Classically British

Total posts: 5688
Posted: Written by: _Clare_

does body movement and presentation necessarily mean performance?

Er, to me, body movement doesn't, presentation does - but I don't mean performance as in on-stage (or whatever) just in terms of being aware of how your spinning looks to other people.

Burner of Toast
Spinner of poi
Slacker of enormous magnitude

Delete

Page: 12