Forums > Beginner Poi Moves > does anyone else think the poi forum has died?

Login/Join to Participate
Page:
[Nx?]BRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,749 posts

Posted:
or is at least on life support in a vegative state,

have we really so little left to say?

there were all thease bright hard new worlds of anti-spins and wibbles and atoms.....

anyone got anything concrete and cool to share?

like richee whom i have been badgering ive posted a discussion thread in the moves forum.

sorry redface

T wave

This is a post by tom, all spelling is deleberate
-><- Kallisti

YakumoSILVER Member
veteran
1,237 posts

Posted:
It has been a bit quiet but it's picking up a little again with the hybrid stuff, some new video's, though they may be for old tricks..

A lot of it is ppl playing/working or not playing as the weather sux, instead of posting or making vids..

come on nx, find something new for us smile

Blinded by Hyperlights, please donate generously grin

[Nx?]BRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,749 posts

Posted:
hybrid is hardly new is it?

and 1.5's are just that, half a new thing.

:glum:

T

-><- Kallisti

FireByNiteSILVER Member
Are you up for it??
349 posts

Posted:
with myself I find that with all of us being told/telling everyone else to search redface that alot of people are doing just that.

If I'm stuck on a few moves (which I am at the moment) I tend to look through the older threads to find info as most of what I'm looking for has been discussed before. If I post up a new thread, there's bound to be someone come along and tell me to "do a search" rather than give me an answer. wink

Are you up for it?
wink;)

[Nx?]BRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,749 posts

Posted:
thats just what i mean, everything has been pretty well mapped out, and new stuff isnt coming.

-><- Kallisti

YakumoSILVER Member
veteran
1,237 posts

Posted:
need to pressure simian or devkev for some vids, sambo flux showed me some other antispin things I hadn't seen before that they'd been doing smile

though it may be old for everyone else for all I know..

true about the hybrids, just saw the thread a couple below was started in '04.

I hadn't seen them till the end of play where a couple of people were talking as if they were a new thing..
EDITED_BY: Yakumo (1168055702)

AcciaioSILVER Member
Tangled into my spins
187 posts

Posted:
Ok I'm going to open a couple of discussions (I hope no one else have opened them before wink anyhw I can try )

Quando torni a trovarci Tom???
Ciaooo!!

Acciaio devil

Mr ChutneySILVER Member
Tosser
1,712 posts

Posted:
I think that much of the spinny stuff has been explored pretty thoroughly, but I certainly don't think its dying- Polys, hybrids etc are still only the reserve of some very talented spinners- with all the helpful posts and vids appearing, more will learn and so in turn more will be found.

I still haven't met anyone who could spin fluidly with atomic stuff (though I have seen a gorgeous vid of Rovos).

Contact/ throwy stuff will probably more into the limelight. Spherculism has been full of it for years but accacio is making a great fist of bringing it to the Poi forum here.

I do think that one thread for poi moves on Hop is a little limited. The spherculism fashion of breaking things down into areas or concepts is good for encouraging more focussed discussion and its easier to reference things you've seen before.

This is well and truly offtopic

pkBRONZE Member
Lambretta Fanatic
4,997 posts

Posted:
 Written by: Mr_Chutney

This is well and truly offtopic

I totally disagree.

Having had some time out from spinning, i have a lot to catch up on..

1. Anti Spins

2. Wibbling

3. And all that other stuff Nix can already do.

If things were categorised then that would make things easier to find "when i need to go looking". wink and i'm sure that i'm not alone there.

(could this all point to the wikipedia again?) confused

wonder if this invision board can create sub categories in forums cos that would make things a hell of a lot easier in this case. smile

pkBRONZE Member
Lambretta Fanatic
4,997 posts

Posted:
 Written by: Acciaio

Quando torni a trovarci Tom???
Ciaooo!!

Si quando ti torna mi minchino rolleyes

StoutBRONZE Member
Pooh-Bah
1,872 posts

Posted:
Yep, I noticed that quite some time ago..It's been over a year since I did all that whining about Poi Moves being turned into a library, and IMO, that's basically what happened. ( see FireByNite's post above )

In an ideal world, this would be the most active forum on HoP and I don't buy any of those bandwidth arguments that were posed as a reason behind this decision ( see the chat section, then talk to me about bandwidth ) nor do I buy the making searching easier reasons either. The point of this forum is to talk,,not read.

pkBRONZE Member
Lambretta Fanatic
4,997 posts

Posted:
 Written by: Stout

see the chat section, then talk to me about bandwidth

hug finally some one with good morals for HoP.

I wonder how many people just come here to post in social and intro's and never once post in help or moves sections confused

IMHO .. in some what 40,000+ members... there's a hell of a lot of crap and nothing much helpful for those in need of information.

I love what simian did with his help thread for poi moves.

I think that many people were drawn away when the introduction of the wikipedia came to life and the helping and information on HoP died with little after that, plus the influence of communities growing and the change of some one being able to show and teach you in person is far much more greater than it was back in 2002.

I in the past tried to help as much as i could, now i can not find any useful information on HoP with regards to poi moves.

Id rather not have to join 25 billion tribe sites to find what im looking for im pretty sure that with a user base of 40 thousand plus Homeofpoi "SHOULD" be my ideal option but currently its not looking that way at all. confused , maybe its here, maybe its not but "SEARCH" just doesn't cut it for me, i dont have the time to sift through the forums... There are admins and mods and nothing really seems to be done with any of the good information and it is left for some one to post " do a search "... which i tend to find most unhelpful.

boh, i feel like moaning today.. just cos lifes crap. frown

LazyAngelGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
2,895 posts

Posted:
I don't know about the poi moves forum being quiet: I just haven't seen much that's really grabbed me lately, maybe because I'm more interested in what the body is doing than the poi are doing in some ways. I just haven't posted much about it cos I think it's already basically covered in a lot of other posts.

anyway, as far as the searching goes, there is the thread rating system to help bring up more useful results first, I did go on a thread rating crusade a while ago. Maybe if more people rate threads, it will help make the search function more effective?

Because ActiveAngel sounds like a feminine deodorant

Like sex, I'm much more interesting in real life than online.

'Be the change you want to see in the world around you' - Ghandi

FireByNiteSILVER Member
Are you up for it??
349 posts

Posted:
I'd be quite happy (in fact it would be quicker and easier) to post up a thread on what I'm wanting to know as long as it isn't going to turn into another "do a search" wink

Alot of the time I just don't have the time to re-read heaps of old posts

Are you up for it?
wink;)

KaelGotRiceGOLD Member
Basu gasu bakuhatsu - because sometimes buses explode
1,584 posts

Posted:
I don't know about others, but having been spinning since I was young as compared to many who got started as adults (and also being around poi/spinning websites since the internet was started) - I feel like I know all the concepts already.

It's just a matter of practicing them and putting them cleanly into a performance routine.

I don't feel like I have anything new to post smile my stuff is all performance based now.

To do: More Firedrums 08 video?

Wildfire/US East coast fire footage

LA/EDC glow/fire footage

Fresno fire

faith enfireBRONZE Member
wandering thru the woods of WI
3,556 posts

Posted:
i've not had a lot of time to practice, like i should -NYE resolution
and i've been doing searches...i'm still on basic stuff so it has been covered over and over again...i don't want anyone to tell me to do a search :sad:
really until i find my style, i'm not going to have anything to post, and other people who don't have the natural talent or time to practice a lot or who are new, we search and try, and post when we need something, but many of us are just covering the old stuff-trying to get caught up with you trailblazers

Faith
Nay, whatever comes one hour was sunlit and the most high gods may not make boast of any better thing than to have watched that hour as it passed

oliSILVER Member
not with cactus
2,052 posts

Posted:
yea ive noticed this place has been fairly dead recently.... one possible explanation, is now there are many more videos, big conventions, meets etc than before, people know what everyone else is on about, where as its very hard to tell what someones on about from text based descriptions of things... so people dont feel the need to post about new concepts on here becuase we can discuss them in real life which is better. obviously if your isolated, like i think we all were once, then posting on here is the only place to get these things out of your system... so we just have to wait and watch and one day something mught come up that will take you by suprise.

as for me personally, im definetly not as open to new concepts as i once was, id like to be able to do hybrids and atoms polyrhythum etc..., and have explored none of these areas as far as id liked. ive also become more into the juggling aspect of it, and theres enough stuff there, to keep anyone amused for the rest of thier life i reckon, there is no end... ever
but nothing changes, just put on some messy music and go spin and see what happens... and that is allways new poi. ubbidea

Me train running low on soul coal
They push+pull tactics are driving me loco
They shouldn't do that no no no

YakumoSILVER Member
veteran
1,237 posts

Posted:
After reading some of this I thought, ok, so we should start an advice thread that clearly states 'don't want to just get told to 'go search' ask for help here'

but I think it's actually pretty well covered by [Old link]

GeoffonTour04SILVER Member
enthusiast
360 posts

Posted:
It's because we can't quantify the moves into small enough pieces to *really* start messing around with them. A 3bt weave (for example) can be interrupted & messed with in more ways than it can be spun properly. Once we can write things down beat by beat, 1/4 circle at a time, we'll be able to mess with the theory on its own, and apply it to poi later, thus creating moves that never would have just been 'discovered' by accident.

I think so, anyway.

StoutBRONZE Member
Pooh-Bah
1,872 posts

Posted:
That's an interesting idea, the fact that you all meet and share info IRL, and I'm sure the plethora of quality videos has made a contribution, and then there's the running out of things to talk about idea too.

I'm behind the idea of a newbie section in the hopes that there's enough intermediates out there who'll be willing to help out with their questions, like I used to do, back before I started thinking *I've said this before, maybe I should just copy and paste from a previous thread, or wait for someone to say "do a search*. Wishful thinking ??????

Or we could talk about moves including transitions in, and out of the move. Atomics might be a good example, just how do you pull off the plane bend to get into, and out of these babies/ Surely you don't want to do the same transition in and out. What have you come up with ? Share it please.

Or maybe today's poi talk is beyond the comprehension of newbies and intermediates. I'm old school, and more than happy to limit my repertoire to moves I feel like doing, and this doesn't include most of the new stuff, ie. wibbling, contact , throws, so I tend to not even read a lot of threads in here anymore.

Or maybe posting about combos, a journey through three moves, or something like that. I know it's all been said before, but truth is, it's a more inviting environment, and definitely more inspirational to spinners in general to share info in the here and now than be obligated to endure the hell that searching through these forums can be.

I've been around here for nearly three years now, and i have the experience to have a general idea of what's been said and where, but if I didn't ,I'd find myself very discouraged had I clicked on a hopeful looking thread, looking for an answer to a question, only to read through pages of, what at the time was interesting conversation, but is now, well, tedious.

Simian's helpful advice thread is a great idea, and especially helpful to refer newbies too, as reading that, will give them some indication about how to discuss poi in a format like this. But for interesting, more intermediate oriented moves like pendulums, and gilligans, maybe we shouldn't be too hasty in rejecting the idea of starting a new thread.

DurbsBRONZE Member
Classically British
5,689 posts

Posted:
Hmmmmmmm...

The forum might be quiet at the moment, but conversely I think the poi scene is really branching out.
Mostly as people have said due to the number of meets that have happened - everyone has seen and played with the "new" moves that are happening.

I was talking to Strugz about this - at the moment most of current poi discussion is about body movement and presentation.
I don't think poi is anywhere near exhausted, but the current trend is towards performance rather than technicality.

~ Contact poi has looooooooooooads of things that need exploring.
~ Throws are relatively un-touched
~ Just playing with the trails hasn't really been fully explored I don't think (Compared to Meg's TheLAB video anyway)
~ Poly-rhythms have a long way to go.

Perhaps people are playing, not discussing?

Burner of Toast
Spinner of poi
Slacker of enormous magnitude

mcpPLATINUM Member
Flying Water Muppet
5,276 posts

Posted:
 Written by: Durbs

Perhaps people are playing, not discussing?

in the words of Tongan Ninja (the film): Crikey! eek

"the now legendary" - Kaskade
"the still legendary" - Kaskade

I spunked in my friend's aquarium and the fish ate it. I love all fish. Especially the pink ones. They are my bitches. - Anon.

pkBRONZE Member
Lambretta Fanatic
4,997 posts

Posted:
Durbs does that mean that there will be a solid influx of new fire troupes?...

Maybe this time better, not like newbies (firefox spell checker said newbies is a word! ) learning a 3 beat weave and then taking up performing for a career, how many times have we seen that one happen!.

Actually on that note, i'd be more prepared to watch fire shows, if they were to a good level, but every thing i have seen has been a bit poo... but then that still doesn't sort out the state of the poi moves discussion's.

I disagree with the throws comment!.. how much discussion do you need...

PK's thoughts on discovering throws.

1: you can do it with your left or right hand (or feet if your feeling really good!.

2: toss either left or right poi during any poi move where there is the time and position in which to do so, this most probably could be done within the majority of poi moves.

3: Think about it... then try it.

Defining throws... yes they are endless possibilities but seriously, any one with a sense of learning can figure throws.

Acciaio is doing some really nice contact stuff, i'm certainly looking forward to seeing progression there.

Tom is just poo.. so he has nothing else to add, just wants every one to show him rather than discovering things for himself! remembe who got you into poi tom!!!, chances that he will bother to read my post he will not notice that i think he is a big gay and i miss him dearly and he needs to come back this side of the med.

AcciaioSILVER Member
Tangled into my spins
187 posts

Posted:
Thanx a lot for the
expectations on me ...I'm really honored! redface redface redface

But...
 Written by: PK_

I disagree with the throws comment!.. how much discussion do you need...

PK's thoughts on discovering throws.

1: you can do it with your left or right hand (or feet if your feeling really good!.

2: toss either left or right poi during any poi move where there is the time and position in which to do so, this most probably could be done within the majority of poi moves.

3: Think about it... then try it.

Defining throws... yes they are endless possibilities but seriously, any one with a sense of learning can figure throws.

Who sad that poi are limited to two???
a lot of work can be done applying club swinging and manipulation to poi(inside toss I mean)...and I think that something cool can come out...

Acciaio devil

pkBRONZE Member
Lambretta Fanatic
4,997 posts

Posted:
niente! ubbrollsmile thanks for just adding your new video.

rolleyes looks for where i mentioned just 2 poi rolleyes wink

AcciaioSILVER Member
Tangled into my spins
187 posts

Posted:
yep you don't mention only two poi redface but... :P

you reduce the throwing to a too simple thing; try to ask a tosser that a backcross is only launch a ball from a position and catch it in another position...

Acciaio devil

pkBRONZE Member
Lambretta Fanatic
4,997 posts

Posted:
 Written by: Acciaio

try to ask a tosser that a backcross is only launch a ball from a position and catch it in another position...

... I think that you would have to be completely British to understand why i'm laughing right now!. ubblol

No i understand the points of the unexplored but .. throws.. kinda intermediate stuff. confused

dunno, my original post was in light heartedness wink not to be taken seriously.. throws are unexplored rolleyes but my point only is that you need only you, your poi and in multiples thereof and off you go!. smile

_khan_SILVER Member
old hand
768 posts

Posted:
I've only been around a couple of years -- both on HoP and spinning in general. In that time, it seems like a whole buttload of innovations have come along. A factor in the relative quiet on these boards could simply be people taking the time to fully assimilate all the new concepts and moves that have sprung up. And two years isn't really all that long a period of time.

Maybe the next big thing won't happen until the 100th wibbler wibbles and a new "base level" of knowledge/awareness is established.

taken out of context i must seem so strange
~ ani di franco

_khan_SILVER Member
old hand
768 posts

Posted:
 Written by: Stout

I'm old school, and more than happy to limit my repertoire to moves I feel like doing, and this doesn't include most of the new stuff, ie. wibbling, contact , throws, so I tend to not even read a lot of threads in here anymore.

I'm so glad someone else feels this way! Sometimes I feel like a lesser spinner because I'm not particularly interested in exploring a lot of the new stuff. Maybe I am a lesser spinner because of that. shrug

When I first started, I felt this hunger to learn and master everything, but as time has gone on and my practice has developed, I've realized there's no point in spending time learning a new move or concept I don't like just because all the cool kids are doing it. Especially when my isolations could still be cleaner. redface

[sulky voice]stupid isolations.[/sulky voice]

taken out of context i must seem so strange
~ ani di franco

YakumoSILVER Member
veteran
1,237 posts

Posted:
I wasn't interested in throws (bordering on juggling way too much), and I used to like finger loops and never thought I'd change. problem is they became so limiting, and my word do I keep getting reminded smooth throws look so damn cool when I see Mico, or Chutney, especially in the hyperlight vids.

bluecatgeek, level 1
5,300 posts

Posted:
mm, there's definitely a slow down; but i think its because there is so much out there to learn. i don't think there is any slow down in innovation, just in how it's presented on-board.

i'm waiting for the first negative space wibbler, myself wink

Holistic Spinner (I hope)

Page: