• All Purchases made this month instantly go into the draw to win a USD $ 100.00 credit to your HoP account.

Forums > Help! > Long hair and fire poi?

Login/Join to Participate
Page: 12
Amanita
SILVER Member since Mar 2004

Total posts: 157
Posted:What do you do with your hair when you're spinning fire poi?
I've got long, almost waist length hair, and DO NOT want to chop it off in some short "trendy" do. I had my hair really short once and hated it.

So what's a long haired aspiring fire poi dancer to do?

"Do not meddle in the affairs of Tower Cranes, for you are soft and would look better when squashed by a full concrete bucket"

Delete Topic

fNi
GOLD Member since Mar 2004

fNi

master of disaster

Total posts: 3354
Posted:my friend has loonng hair and when she spins she either puts it up in little buns or wraps it short and wears a bandana over it

kyrian: I've felt your finger connect with me many times
lou kitten: sneaky little meatball..
ezz: please corrupt me more

Delete

MikeIcon
GOLD Member since Mar 2003

MikeIcon

Pooh-Bah

Total posts: 2109
Posted:Braids, pig tails, buns, hats, bandanas, etc. Anything. But no matter what, its always best to wet your hair before a spin just in case.

Let's turn those old bridges we crossed into ashes.
We'll blaze a new trail,
and torch the rough patches.

-Me

Delete

Mags The Jedi
GOLD Member since May 2004

Mags The Jedi

Fool

Total posts: 2020
Posted:Hat.

"I believe the cost of life is Death and we will all pay that in full. Everything else should be a gift. We paid the cover charge of life, we were born."

Bill Hicks, February 1988

Delete

_Aime_
SILVER Member since Jan 2004

_Aime_

Carpal \'Tunnel

Total posts: 4172
Posted:2 reeeelly tight french plaits. but i can never usually be bother to do it - hair grows dosnt it?! wink

Delete

Beth

Beth

Miss Whippy

Total posts: 1262
Posted:i have waist length braids and i usually just put them in a pony tail and its fine. I look silly in hats and bandanas so i just tie it up.

Aim high and you'll know your limits, aim low and you'll never know how high you could have climbed.

Delete

Mags The Jedi
GOLD Member since May 2004

Mags The Jedi

Fool

Total posts: 2020
Posted:When i'm teaching people with long hair i generally get them to put it in a ponytail, tuck it down the back of their shirt and also wear a hat. Never had anyone lose any hair at all.

"I believe the cost of life is Death and we will all pay that in full. Everything else should be a gift. We paid the cover charge of life, we were born."

Bill Hicks, February 1988

Delete

Katch
GOLD Member since Jun 2004

Katch

Beach bum

Total posts: 162
Posted:I used to have braids upto my waist.... singed a little bit off the very first time I spun. Have worn a beanie since then... smile

Experience is that marvelous thing that enables you to recognize a mistake when you make it again.
-Franklin P. Jones

Delete

Mele
SILVER Member since Oct 2003

Mele

A perth girl gone walkabout...

Total posts: 396
Posted:I usually also go for the beanie look, or tie it all back out of the way and hope for the best. I'll also, during summer at least when its not too cold, wash my hair before, or wet it down, it won't singe as much while its still wet.

But worst case, it gets burnt, it grows back, i'm not too fussed about it really anymore, its just another thing that you risk that you run while playing with fire.

I smile because i have no idea whats going on!! biggrin

Delete

Posted:I found out how to make a turban, and it works really well! It covers all my hair, keeps it tight to my head and doesn't fall off if it's done right. People have liked it too.... wink

Delete

Flame Boy
GOLD Member since Jul 2004

Flame Boy

veteran

Total posts: 1508
Posted:With such long hair you should encorporate it into your show...like attach a poi on the end of one long plait and swing it around ubbtickled

AAARRRGGGHHH!!! My giant stick broke!!! In two!!! My stick broke in two!!! ubbcrying

Delete

mattpoi
BRONZE Member since Feb 2004

mattpoi

Total posts: 20
Posted:i'm a big fan of my "cool poi spinning beanie".. i've been wearing it ever since i singed a small clump on the side. Hair protection AND looking ULTRA COOL -- what more could you want?

Delete

Medusa
BRONZE Member since Nov 2003

Medusa

veteran

Total posts: 1433
Posted:I look really pathetic wearing a hat or beanie too (though that doesn't stop my boyfriend trying to force one on my head when I spin) so my remedy was to tuck it in my collar when it gets long enough or tie it in a pony tail (don't know if this will make sense but I fold the pony tail in half over and over in the hair band till it is really short and looks like a funny looking bun)

If my hair is shorter I just poi with my hair down I don't really care any more if it singes.

Delete

Amanita

Posted:I know what you mean with the hair- I was thinking maybe a funky topknot..Or I also have an old metal army helmet- WWI or WWII, not sure. It's not a priceless relic or anything, not worth any more than the $30 I paid for it. I was thinking of polishing it up, so the metal shines. It might work with the look I've got planned- I want to get a leather tunic,kind of a fantasy medieval type thing. I've heard leather's good for wearing when fire spinning. Maybe the helmet might be good for stuffing hair under.

"Do not meddle in the affairs of Tower Cranes, for you are soft and would look better when squashed by a full concrete bucket"

Delete

native
SILVER Member since Jun 2004

native

sleeping with angels

Total posts: 508
Posted:i wet my hair then put it down the back of my shirt this will keep your hair safe

SLEEP WITH ANGELS muckieha

Delete

Rouge Dragon
BRONZE Member since Jul 2003

Rouge Dragon

Insert Champagne Here

Total posts: 13215
Posted:i have long hair and i plait it and tuck it into my (famous tongue) rainbow hat!

i would have changed ***** to phallus, and claire to petey Petey

Rougie: but that's what I'm doing here
Arnwyn: what letting me adjust myself in your room?..don't you dare quote that on HoP...

Delete

Flame Boy
GOLD Member since Jul 2004

Flame Boy

veteran

Total posts: 1508
Posted:You could paint flames onto your helmet - that would be fitting...but I still stand by my fist suggestion devil ubbrollsmile devil

AAARRRGGGHHH!!! My giant stick broke!!! In two!!! My stick broke in two!!! ubbcrying

Delete

Bzrael
BRONZE Member since Mar 2017

Bzrael

Total posts: 45
Posted:good ideas:
- wet all of your hair (less fire danger and its heavier)
- wear turban/bandana. could wet that too
- wear swimming cap (major loss in style points though)
- wear rasta hat
- gelling hair down onto body > sexy mermaid look and no worry for t-shirt

bad ideas
- afros
- wearing viking helmets
- wetting hair with kerosene

Delete

Dr_Molly

Dr_Molly

Pooh-Bah

Total posts: 2354
Posted:hair up in buns is a good way forward, but not when the poi try to do bun-wraps eek

happily only so far a problem with sock poi but as such, quite untrainable rolleyes

buns seem to be a necessity for contact staff though. much tangleage otherwise.

Delete

Amanita

Posted:I don't think my hair will stay down the back of my shirt, that's the thing..I move around alot when poi dancing, and with my luck, they hair would all fall out..and my helmet won't have any horns or other poi-catchers...nice and smooth. I was thinking wetting it would be a good idea..with water of course:)

Delete

polythene

veteran

Total posts: 1359
Posted:I have long hair and look stupid in hats too... but I wear one anyway, rather than set fire to my head smile I only have to look silly for the short time the things are lit, anyway.

If you put it in a ponytail or plait, you can tuck it up into the hat (more comfy than down t-shirt... and stops that small area of hair being exposed)... clip it to the top of your head if it doesn't like staying there.

EDITED_BY: polythene (1091484155)

The optimist claims that we are living in the best of all possible worlds.
The pessimist fears this is true.

Always make time to play in the snow.

Delete

Eera

old hand

Total posts: 1107
Posted:I pretty much look stupid all the time so wearing a hat doesn't make much difference.

A word of warning; if you do go the headgear route make sure it's not likely to catch and melt to your head. Wool is great, viscose-based chiffon and fleecy stuff not so.

There is a slight possibility that I am not actually right all of the time.

Delete

Mele
SILVER Member since Oct 2003

Mele

A perth girl gone walkabout...

Total posts: 396
Posted:Another bad idea is filling your hair with flamable products such as hairsprays and such before hand eek

I smile because i have no idea whats going on!! biggrin

Delete

Eera

old hand

Total posts: 1107
Posted:Ho hoo, been there, done that, not pretty (actually it was moderately spectacular just not from my viewpoint)

There is a slight possibility that I am not actually right all of the time.

Delete

Gidg
BRONZE Member since Apr 2003

Gidg

Super Gidg!!!!

Total posts: 8506
Posted:I have a black and red flamed skull cap that I use. Wet the hair down, put it in a high pony tail and stuff it all under the skull cap. I think I look weird in it, but it has saved my hair a couple of times.

Growing old is mandatory; growing up is NOT.
Proud member of the HoP DPS.
Sanity is a highly overrated state of mind.
I'm normal ... it's everyone else that's crazy.

Gidg

Delete

Flapjacks

part of the lonely trio

Total posts: 137
Posted:I usually have my hair back in a bun which I'll usually wet before hand.

"I thought koo was going to do poi for us?"
"Me too, but she's got her head in the sink..."

I used to wear a hat every time I did poi to keep the rents at ease, but know I don't.
I've singed my hair a few times but it doesn't particularly bother me... the smell only lasts a few days..bleh...

smells like burning teenagers..

Delete

shen shui
SILVER Member since Jan 2005

shen shui

no excuses. no apologies.

Total posts: 1799
Posted:Written by: Bzrael

bad ideas
- wetting hair with kerosene

i agree.
<nods sagely>

i wet it (with water <nods sagely>) and tie it back in a bun-type thing and wear a bandana.

and thats just to go to town!

<gasp>

those that know, dont say. those that say, dont know.

Delete

_pOp_
BRONZE Member since Mar 2017

Playing OldSchool Poi

Total posts: 593
Posted:and while being on the subject of bad ideas....

don't wrap your hair in wet cloth!!!!:fire and water make steam, steam is baaaaad...

please read this post by Pele telling about some fire spinner wetting his clothes... auch!!!!!

meditate eRic.

I'm not normally a religious man, but if you're up there, save me, Superman!

Delete

Nucleopoi
BRONZE Member since Nov 2004

Nucleopoi

chemical attraction

Total posts: 1097
Posted:tie your hair up and wear a trendy hat....

Delete

cainebaby

cainebaby

Total posts: 32
Posted:i have longish hair, i occasionally singe it. when it's summer you can douse your hair in water, it reduces singyness.

has anyone seen my shark mafia? i left it somewhere over here and now they've gone, it's only a mini mafia! but it's mine! they don't have hair problems...there all sharks

what kind of victory is it when someone is left defeted?

Delete

Mr Majestik

Mr Majestik

coming to a country near you

Total posts: 4693
Posted:safety? pff! just spin and dont hit yourself, then you will have no problems!

"but have you considered there is more to life than your eyelids?"

jointly owned by Fire_Spinning_Angel and Blu_Valley

Delete

Page: 12