misshappypantsBRONZE Member
stranger
24 posts

Posted:
I did it... I lite them tonight for my very first time!

It was amazing... I can't stop smiling... what a great

experience... the sound!!!!!! WOW.... the reaction of people that have never seen it.... they were sooo psyched...

Anyway... thanks soo much for your support....to those of you that took the time, and were patient and walked me through some of the beginning stuff... some of the silly questions...that i needed answers to....

Ahh, Thanks.....

Smooches and Hugs... Nighty night hug

EDITED_BY: misshappypants (1088748044)

Be as happy as me....

Aleksjourneyman
64 posts

Posted:
Nothing useful so say here I haven't got the guts for fire but Good Luck!

Look at me twirl my pretty rainbow poi in my rainbowhat with my rainbow earings and my rainbow top etc.....

KatchGOLD Member
Beach bum
162 posts

Posted:
It might be good to spin out your poi before lighting them up (to get rid of the excess fuel)... definitely use a hat (actually a beanie works better, I used to have braids until my waist then one night... ... ... Eventually, I had to get them rebraided) ubblol

Kerosene/Paraffin is good. Light them with a lighter from the bottom. Throw a damp towel over them to put them out.

It does feel somewhat different from the practice poi. Especially when you hear the fire hissing behind your head... wink Have someone spot you, given that this will be the first time you'll be lighting up (they can be your safety person/ appreciative audience). biggrin If possible stay away from clutter (yard's always good, or a roof deck)

Hope it helps, best of luck!

Experience is that marvelous thing that enables you to recognize a mistake when you make it again.
-Franklin P. Jones

DomBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,009 posts

Posted:
There's a whole load of info on this site. There's a couple of articles you should read, so start with Fire safety article. A search would also reveal a lot of similar threads.

Just make sure your clothes and hat are all cotton and keep a wet towel nearby.

Have fun! Unlike losing your virginity in the back seat of a car, the first time you spin fire really is special biggrin

vanizeSILVER Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,899 posts

Posted:
basically what Dom and the others said, but I'll add that if you have long hair, you should dampen it and then put it in a braid or something - or use the hat to tuck it up (but I'd still give it a good spritz with H2O first).

Definitely spin out as was also mentioned - till no more fuel flicks out.

make sure you have a safety with a way to put you out if you light yourself on fire - someone you trust and knows fire intimately and is not afriad of it.

I prefer a damp towel as a way to put out performers in trouble, but some people say that you can get steam burns this way and that you should use a dry towel. I've never seen a steam burn in 4 years of using damp towels, but I have seen burns that could have been significantly less intense had there been a damp towel around. I believe that there is not enough heat in a standard size poi to create a significant enough amount of steam to cause a burn worse than you would otherwise get from the extra amount of time it would take a dry towel rather than a damp towel to extingush the flames and cool the metal. dry towels will never cool the hot metal and this is where your most significant burn will come from. ignited fuel splatters are easy to put out with just about anything, but it is when you get wrapped up in your chains and you have hot metal next you that you want the water in the towel the cool things off quickly. and the hot metal is what wil amke any steam since kevlar or cotton does not transfer heat very quickly like metal does. If you have so much metal in your poi as to cause serious steam burns, then you really should find another way to make your poi!

Also make sure your safety is the attentive type - someone who isn't going to get distracted from their duties when a cute girl walks by. But this is rare problem when the safety knows you are doing one of your first burns. it is when you are an old salt like me that no one has seen get into trouble for years that they get less attentive because they think nothing is going to happen anyway - then you are on fire and screaming at them to come help and they are like, "huh... what? oh!" rolleyes

The air drag from the fire does alter the way the poi move through the air. that is just something you'll have to get used to once your poi are burning, as there isn't a good way to replicate the effect. You'll discover over time that tricks you have down without fire require a lot more practice to perfct when your poi are actually burning.

you'll also likely experience what I call "monkey brain" - the instinctual fear of fire, which will tend to screw you up in moves you thought you had solid and then cause you to jump and flail a little as the mistake stops your flow. you'll get over that after a while. people who no longer have monkey brain make the perfect safeties - they have learned to overcome instinct and can think quickly and rationally when fire is involved.

If you do get into trouble (say a fuel splatter lights or you get wrapped in your chains), don't flail around. Just make it easy for your saftey to get the the problem and solve it. You actually have several seconds before you get seriously burned even if fuel is burning directly on your skin, and that should be plenty of time for your safety to put it out - if they can get to it, which they can't if you are freaking out. Expect minor burns whenever you spin, but with a little caution and common sense, you'll never get seriously burned.

Of course your definition of what a serious burn is will likely change significantly in the months and years following your first burn.... devil

-v-

Wiederstand ist Zwecklos!

DuncGOLD Member
playing the days away
7,263 posts

Posted:
Good luck!! I hope it all goes/went well biggrin

Let's relight this forum ubblove

stranger
24 posts

Posted:
Thanks eveyone for your advise... I really appreciate the feedback.... Tonight is the night.... But I have a question that my friends disagree with.... They all think that if I caught on fire...that they will use a hose to put me out.... Is this right or wrong? I've heard that that is not the right thing to do ...but ot just stop drop and roll or use a dry or damp towel.....

Do you think using a hose is bad???????? ubbloco

Be as happy as me....

DuncGOLD Member
playing the days away
7,263 posts

Posted:
I'm sure a hose would work as it's not like you'll be covered in fuel but a damp towel to hand is best. Nominate one friend to be the safety then everyone won't get confused as to what job they have to do if it goes wrong. It's not like you'll go up like a flare or anything unless you wear silly flammable clothes not made of cotton.

Good luck!! I'm getting shivers thinking of my first fire, the adrenaline, the noise.....oooooh ubblove

Let's relight this forum ubblove

MillenniuMPLATINUM Member
Hyperloops suck
595 posts

Posted:
Written by:

Of course your definition of what a serious burn is will likely change significantly in the months and years following your first burn....

Truer words have never been spoken.

stranger
24 posts

Posted:
Do you get burned just from spinning near your body? or when it actually hits you?

If you are spinning fast and it hits you.....does it bounce off before you get burned or does it burn right away?

ubbloco

Be as happy as me....

BirdGOLD Member
now available in "advanced"
6,086 posts

Posted:
I have only ever been burned when I have been wrapping and got metal caught against my skin, never by just the flames!

My state of mind is not yours to define!

There is a very fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness."

MikeIconGOLD Member
Pooh-Bah
2,109 posts

Posted:
You will not get burnt just by spinning. If you hit yourself with the lit wick, you will still be fine. If you do wraps with clothes, youll be fine and if you do it with bare skin you will get slight burns from the metal attachments. The only way to really burn yourself is to get a poi tangled around you or catch your clothes on fire (which rarely happens with cotton).

Fire poi are actually rather safe, its only the freak accidents you have to worry bout.

As for the hose, I would suggest not using one to put a flaming spinner out because its even easier to get steam burns that way (as opposed to a wet towel). When my troupe spins, we have a duvatane blanket, a wet towel, and a fire extinguisher handy just in case. So far we havent had to use them but its good to know they're ready.

Let's turn those old bridges we crossed into ashes.
We'll blaze a new trail,
and torch the rough patches.

-Me

CTHobbitBRONZE Member
God Emperor Hobbit
15 posts

Posted:
I'll add one more thing, not sure if this has already been mentioned.

Establish a "check me" pose with your spotter. This is for times when you whack yourself or tangle. With the people I spin/spot with we put our arms straight out to either side so they can check us for burning, and when we're tangled bend at the waist a bit and put the chains as far in front of you as you can. This lets the spotter with the fire gloves (if we have enough people we have one on towel, one on gloves) untangle the chains if you can't get them yourself.

Just my $.02

Break a leg!

MiGGOLD Member
Self-Flagellation Expert
3,414 posts

Posted:
I've only ever spun with kerosene (paraffin), and i wouldnt hesitate to recommend it. Its relatively docile, as far as fuels go, produces a nice flame and its pretty cheap (well, it is here, not sure about where you live).

one thing that i find helps is to just relax. dont neglect the fact that it is fire that you're spinning, but dont stress about it either. just relax, dont try anything massive until you're comfortable with the added effects of the flame. once you're cool with how the poi move and stuff when they're on fire, then go for harder stuff. have fun, dont stress, and did i say relax? ubblol

"beg beg grovel beg grovel"
"master"
--FSA

"There was an arse there, i couldn't help myself"
--Rougie

_Aime_SILVER Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
4,172 posts

Posted:
Congratulations! I had a burn for the first time in a little while last night. was a big release smile If you hit yourself with it, your unlikiy to burn. what im left with usually is a greasy black mark left on my skin which takes ages to wash off >.< plus your likly to get bits of black wedge underneath your fingernails that take yonks to get out. Anyhoo, happy spinning smile have a blast

Aimz xx hug

colemanSILVER Member
big and good and broken
7,330 posts

Posted:
Written by: vanize

The air drag from the fire does alter the way the poi move through the air. that is just something you'll have to get used to once your poi are burning, as there isn't a good way to replicate the effect. You'll discover over time that tricks you have down without fire require a lot more practice to perfct when your poi are actually burning.

wow! eek

i'd always wondered about this but could never find any information relating to it so i assumed it was negligible.

do you have the reasoning behind this 'flame drag' or even better, can you quantify it at all?

if so, surely the use of shaped poi heads could replicate any drag factors you would care to apply?

juggle

"i see you at 'dis cafe.
i come to 'dis cafe quite a lot myself.
they do porridge."
- tim westwood

Vestergaardstranger
22 posts

Posted:
Congratulations!!!

I love the expression on peoples faces just after the first time (sounds kinda' sleasy...)

Chr.

jaeroSILVER Member
your new best enemy
246 posts

Posted:
yeah... love the way people look at you after you're done too... that "what the hey?" look.... anyways, about the catching on fire thing? I've never caught my clothes on fire, but kerosene on the legs... just wipe that off. anyways, happy trails!!!

I'll get there too late if I shorten my stride, I'll get there too soon if I find me a ride, I'll never move forward if I try to hide this path that I've troden one step at a time.

MeleSILVER Member
A perth girl gone walkabout...
396 posts

Posted:

The one time i set myself on fire, people started to call out to me that i was burning... wasn't sure whether to believe them or not at first, as it was my back, and i couldn't feel it yet.... Thought someone was trying to be funny....

But ouch, then i felt it! Moral of my story - Never get complacent and wear loose flowing flammable clothing - especially anything plasticy which sticks to you when it burns - I didn't even hit myself, just swung a little too close.

Congradulations on your first burn by the way - Well done! hug

I smile because i have no idea whats going on!! biggrin