Forums > Social Chat > Someone thought my poi were for...

Login/Join to Participate

Nightherons
stranger

Total posts: 9
Posted:I was out walking in the countryside and stopped at a spot for a little spin (with my orange cone poi). About a mile later I looked in my bag for the poi, but they were gone! Not to worry I thought, I must have left them at that spot. I hurried back just to see a young couple examining the poi with interest. "Thanks, those are mine, I left them by accident" I said, taking the poi. Then just as the couple were walking off the man couldn't help but turn to ask me: "Excuse me, we're curious to know what those things are for. We thought they might be for catching hawks or something."

CATCHING. HAWKS. That's a good'un. =)

Anyone got a similar story?

Delete Topic

Flecolan
Flecolan

Chillisity!
Total posts: 42
Posted:Hahahahaha catching hawks, awesome xD. Usually people think my fire poi are for SM, but i find that a horrible painfull thought tongue2. Cant remember other remarks or questions though shocked

Pagan Hippie ^^

Delete

LadyAmanita
stranger

Total posts: 16
Posted:I'm afraid somebody is going to mistake my poi for weapons. Talking to some of the legal eagles in my local Pagan community only left me more angry and frustrated than ever.
I am preparing to travel and take several of my toys with me. I will be bringing my lightsaber (Star Wars prop), and my poi, possibly my quantum leashes.

One of the guys I was talking to said that I would need to get to the airport four hours early and go through a lengthy explanation with numerous airport personnel. FYI, my lightsaber is essentially an ornate LED flashlight once its polycarb tube blade has been removed. There is NOTHING in the TSA or CATSA rules banning flashlights of any size on airplanes, carry on or checked. But because it "looks funny", it's all of a sudden harder to transport than a real sword. WTH?
As for my poi or quantum leashes, I am pretty much at the mercy of any cop who stops me. If they are determined to believe it's a weapon, then no matter what I do, I'm screwed. They're not going to believe a print out from a website saying otherwise.
(That and a lot of poi merchants insist on using black backgrounds with white text, which is NOT print friendly)

Sometimes I get so frustrated- feeling like we're moving away from a state where if something is not explicitly forbidden it must be allowed, to one where if something is not explicitly allowed, it is forbidden.

Delete

Seaspray
Seaspray

stranger by the day
Total posts: 924
Posted:I've gotta wonder... How hard is it to take a sword through customs?

Just a dancer in the dark

Delete

Brenn
Brenn

Will carpal your tunnel in a minute.
Total posts: 3286
Posted:"These are not the droids you're looking for."

ॐ

Owner of burningoftheclavey smile
Owned by Lost83spy

Delete

Sister Eleven
Sister Eleven

owner of the group property
Total posts: 1277
Posted:Well, besides lots of people saying they look "dangerous", I had one day where people kept trying to guess what was in my cone poi. Of the four guesses I heard that day, only one person correctly guessed tennis balls; the other three guesses were apples, eggs, and onions.

Do people really spin eggs around in socks that often?

p|.q|r:|::s|.s|s:|:.s|q.|:p|s.|.p|s

Delete

Seaspray
Seaspray

stranger by the day
Posted:Normally I'd do it for a yolk...

I'm not cracked enough to use raw eggs. That'd be pretty rotton of me if I ended up hitting someone

devil

Delete

LadyAmanita
stranger

Posted:I've been told that all you have to do to transport a sword is put it in your checked bag and declare it at check in. No hassle. Problem with a lightsaber though, is what it looks like on the x-ray machines they use to screen checked baggage. It's a metallic tube with wiring inside, and therefore could be mistaken for a pipe bomb. So some people say it's better to travel with it in your carry-on, where you can demonstrate that it's harmless. Others say that it has to be checked. I'm confused.

Delete

natasqi
natasqi

addict
Total posts: 489
Posted:Providing they're not fire poi and haven't been burnt (residue fuel) then traveling with poi has always been fine for me and many others.

I travelled with my nunchucks one year... so what i did was contact my own police dept (I had done this before) and said, "the law says it is legal to have nunchucks on your person/in your car if you are going to and from a performance/practice. I use my nunchucks not in a martial arts way, but as a fire prop and circus toy. In this respect would I be legally able to possess and carry nunchucks?"
They sid yes.
Then I forwarded this email to the destination police, as well as looking up their laws about prohibited weapons and emailed them "your laws say I'm allowed nunchucks if they are for performance etc etc and are used by my business. This is so, here's an email from my home police, I am flying in at this time, going to a 'conference' (fire festival) and flying home.
In your interpretation of the law, is it legal for me to bring my nunchucks into your state?"

And they replied "sure"

And then I emailed the airline and said "I will be travelling with nunchucks, here is an emai from departing and arriving police who say I'm allowed to, how would you like me to pack them?"

and they said bring them to the oversized baggage and we'll put them in specially...

and then when I got to my destination, my chucks were just on the baggage wheel, not in the oversize baggage pick up.... *sigh*

So i guess swords would be very much the same. Make sure it's legal fior you to possess them in destination and then contact the airline.

Delete

FireTom
Stargazer

Total posts: 6650
Posted:*cough* that might depend on the cutting edge of the sword.

However what Nat is suggesting is one of the best ways to hanlde the situation. Remember: what you haven't got in writing you haven't got at all.

Nun-Chucks are illegal weapons in a few countries - so be(a)ware of this. Approaching the police is always a much wiser step, than getting approached.

Nun-Chucks are considered "strangling weapons" (apart from the capability of hitting someone) - as such even the PVC/ foam coated practise Chucks are illegal in (say) Germany. Even though they do have an inbuilt crack, so they will break if used over excess.

Swords should be fine once checked. I never declare my fireswords on checked baggage... they see them on the screen, sometimes they open the bag - and see what it is... no problem.

Braided Poi look highly suspicious, as Kev has a high density = shows up on the screen.

I would never ever put my Poi in carry on - not even virgin ones. It's just asking for trouble.

All this said: I've not been flying to/from the UK/US/OZ very recently... just the rest of the world seems to be fine this way.

wow - are we still on topic? wink

Whilst cone/ sockpoi trigger the wildest phantasies in ordinary people the martial arts background of all spinning toys is the most prevalent I found... and SM... devil

the best smiles are the ones you lead to wink

Delete

JayKitty
JayKitty

Mission: Ignition
Total posts: 534
Posted:I have a 6 ft fire whip... I've been asked countless times if it is a sex toy.
Alright, how big and metal does your bedroom have to be to use a 6 foot fire whip in it safely? Not everyone has a dugeon in their basement. I kinda wish I did just for the sheer badassery of it, but I don't.

And back to the original post.... catching HAWKS!?

Don't mind me, just passing through.

Delete

aston
aston

Unofficial Chairperson of Squirrel Defense League
Total posts: 4061
Posted:I suppose that you could tangle them up in the leash? Or if using tails, that is another option....

'We're all mad here. I'm mad, you're mad." [said the Cat.]
"How do you know I'm mad?" said Alice.
"You must be," said the Cat, "Or you wouldn't have come here."
- Lewis Carroll, Alice's Adventures In Wonderland

Delete

Seaspray
Seaspray

stranger by the day
Posted:nah, it's probably more that poi resemble a shorter hawk lure thingie. Seem to remember we had a discussion about the possiblity on one of the newbie threads

Delete

Mr_Chutney
Mr_Chutney

Tosser
Total posts: 1711
Posted:A great tip for travelling with props is to carry a picture (or even, in this wondrous technical age, maybe a video on your ipod/ phone) to show to anyone who queries it (indeed for fire props it is suggested to attach the picture to the bad carrying the props in your checked luggage.) This clearly shows what a bundle of chain and wick is for, or maybe balls in socks etc etc smile

JayKitty- loved your comment about the firewhips; I always think it's funny that any mention of whip cracking is associated with the kinky sex toys, but you'd never be able to use a 6ft whip in the bedroom (even if you wanted too?!?!). Sigh, one day they'll understand smile

Delete

LadyAmanita
stranger

Posted:I was thinking after reading this thread that I might email the San Francisco police department and ask about my quantum leashes. Include a photo of them laid out on something, and links to neonhusky's action photos and video. Ask if playing (not fighting!) with those in public is going to be a problem. If they say I'm okay, print the email out and carry it with me.

Delete

ChinChinni
ChinChinni

Oh, there goes art.
Total posts: 23
Posted:For hawks... Haha, how could they possibly have thought that tongue2

When I do poi, it depends on which kind I'm using. If I'm using my sockpoi, I get comments like: "You should wear socks on your feet." Or: "What are you doing? eek"
Very well, I don't think I'm the only one who gets that tongue2

When I'm using my graceful poi with translucent blue fabric at the end (those are my favourite grin ), people sometimes ask what it is I'm doing, but find it awesome.

I can do more moves with my sockpoi, so I find it rather funny ubbrollsmile

Still need to make a completely new and different set poi.

Hey, I could do that now, while I'm sick at home! ubbidea

Have you seen my marbles?

Delete

JayKitty
JayKitty

Posted:I love the productivity that comes from being sick. Recently during some really bad sleepless nights I made myself a "where the wild things are costume" complete with ears and a tail and a crown. gotta post pics soon. Gunna be the best halloween ever.

Delete

Fire_Moose
Fire_Moose

Elusive and Bearded
Total posts: 3597
Posted:haha there were a couple people wearing Wild things costumes this weekend at the AZ decompression

O.B.E.S.E.

Owned by Mynci!

Delete

JayKitty
JayKitty

Posted:I'll post some pics when I get the crown done. I'm totally sewing floppy ears onto all my hoddies now too.

Delete