Forums > Help! > Choosing my first poi - help!

Login/Join to Participate

Nee

Total posts: 15
Posted:Hi everyone! I came across Poi the other day and immediately fell in love with the idea and have decided to have a go! But I don't really know what type to get. I really like the LED glowing ones, and was planning to get this one; http://www.homeofpoi.com/shop/productDetails/Pair-of-LED-GLOW-sock-POI
But I was reading about poi on the beginners instructions part of the website and it talked about handles and how to grip the poi, and the socks don't appear to have grips. So how do you use them, do you tie knots or something? So because of that, I was thinking of these ones instead;
http://www.homeofpoi.com/shop/productDetails/Single-multicolour-LED-GLOW-ball-with-attachment-ring
because it has handles.

I'm so confused!! What should I do?

Delete Topic

fanged_angel
fanged_angel

poiromaniac
Total posts: 162
Posted:i personally prefer socks at least for practicing with and when i use mine i either grip them in my hand and have them coming out by my thumb or tie a slipknot in them and use them as a hand grips

hope i helped smile

Delete

Mother_Natures_Son
Mother_Natures_Son

Rampant whirler.
Total posts: 2418
Posted:Balloons filled with rice thrown into colourful socks is what I use.

You just wrap the socks around your fingers for extra control or just hold em or use a ball grip on the knots or whatever... anyway... you might wanna hold off on the LEDs til you get a bit better, lots of hits might mean you'll ruin the LEDs and you might find you'll want better ones in the future anyway.

hug

Delete

Nee

Total posts: 15
Posted:thanks, guys biggrin

Delete

deadkenndys1105
journeyman

Total posts: 65
Posted:Well I haven't ever bought poi. My sock, practice and fire poi were made myself. Before anything I would make these. http://www.homeofpoi.com/lessons_all/tea...k-Poi-12_57_208 It only say this because you can see if you even like poi. I have had a few friends grab my stuff and after 10 minutes they completely give up.

Delete

Mother_Natures_Son
Mother_Natures_Son

Rampant whirler.
Total posts: 2418
Posted:My poi ARE pretty much those, but with balloons and rice rather than socks in socks... they're the ones I love most and use most... they've stretched to a point that they hardly have any stretch left at all.... they're fabulous, the feeling I get while spinning them is absolutely unearthly... I feel as though they're extensions of my body, they're my tentacles.

I use 3/4 of a cup of rice in each, its about the weight of cathedral head poi full of fuel, so thats handy. Its also a good weight so that you can feel where the poi are going. Suck all the air out of the balloon before you tie it up, it'll last longer.

hug

Delete

Rellizate
Rellizate

old hand
Total posts: 719
Posted:For every new toy I learnt I started with the fire version. Mainly because they're more forgiving (in the case of chucks), but also because when/if you decide to do fire (Which I always planned to do with each new toy I got) you don't have to buy another thing. So if you're planning on burning, get fire poi; if not - don't. smile

Delete