Forums > Help! > Choosing my first poi - help!

Login/Join to Participate

NeeBRONZE Member
15 posts

Posted:
Hi everyone! I came across Poi the other day and immediately fell in love with the idea and have decided to have a go! But I don't really know what type to get. I really like the LED glowing ones, and was planning to get this one; https://www.homeofpoi.com/shop/productDetails/Pair-of-LED-GLOW-sock-POI
But I was reading about poi on the beginners instructions part of the website and it talked about handles and how to grip the poi, and the socks don't appear to have grips. So how do you use them, do you tie knots or something? So because of that, I was thinking of these ones instead;
https://www.homeofpoi.com/shop/productDetails/Single-multicolour-LED-GLOW-ball-with-attachment-ring
because it has handles.

I'm so confused!! What should I do?

fanged_angelBRONZE Member
poiromaniac
162 posts

Posted:
i personally prefer socks at least for practicing with and when i use mine i either grip them in my hand and have them coming out by my thumb or tie a slipknot in them and use them as a hand grips

hope i helped smile

Mother_Natures_SonSILVER Member
Rampant whirler.
2,418 posts

Posted:
Balloons filled with rice thrown into colourful socks is what I use.

You just wrap the socks around your fingers for extra control or just hold em or use a ball grip on the knots or whatever... anyway... you might wanna hold off on the LEDs til you get a bit better, lots of hits might mean you'll ruin the LEDs and you might find you'll want better ones in the future anyway.

hug

NeeBRONZE Member
15 posts

Posted:
thanks, guys biggrin

deadkenndys1105SILVER Member
journeyman
65 posts

Posted:
Well I haven't ever bought poi. My sock, practice and fire poi were made myself. Before anything I would make these. https://www.homeofpoi.com/lessons_all/tea...k-Poi-12_57_208 It only say this because you can see if you even like poi. I have had a few friends grab my stuff and after 10 minutes they completely give up.

Mother_Natures_SonSILVER Member
Rampant whirler.
2,418 posts

Posted:
My poi ARE pretty much those, but with balloons and rice rather than socks in socks... they're the ones I love most and use most... they've stretched to a point that they hardly have any stretch left at all.... they're fabulous, the feeling I get while spinning them is absolutely unearthly... I feel as though they're extensions of my body, they're my tentacles.

I use 3/4 of a cup of rice in each, its about the weight of cathedral head poi full of fuel, so thats handy. Its also a good weight so that you can feel where the poi are going. Suck all the air out of the balloon before you tie it up, it'll last longer.

hug