Forums > Help! > This is a important question that you should answer!

Login/Join to Participate

EmoAtHeart

EmoAtHeart

stranger

Total posts: 20
Posted:Okay the big question how long did it take for you to learn the backwards chase(with poi)?
And what is the best move you know now?

I know this is lame but I'm curious. hug

I LOST THE GAME!!!!!!

Delete Topic

Pogo69
SILVER Member since Apr 2006

Pogo69

there's no charge for awesomeness... or attractiveness

Total posts: 3764
Posted: Written by :EmoAtHeart

36 and up

eek ... damn... I'm in the "everyone else AKA oldies" group

--pogo (pat) [forever and always]

Delete

EmoAtHeart

EmoAtHeart

stranger

Posted:aww i sowwy and whats your answer to the how long did it take for you to learn the backwards chase(with poi)? question

I LOST THE GAME!!!!!!

Delete

Mucky
SILVER Member since Apr 2008

Mucky

Rum-Swilling Combustioneer

Total posts: 227
Posted:*Doesn't know what a backwards chase is*

So... 6 months! smile

Bouncing Baby Pipe!

Delete

Rouge Dragon
BRONZE Member since Jul 2003

Rouge Dragon

Insert Champagne Here

Total posts: 13215
Posted:What's a backwards chase? Is it a backwards weave?

i would have changed ***** to phallus, and claire to petey Petey

Rougie: but that's what I'm doing here
Arnwyn: what letting me adjust myself in your room?..don't you dare quote that on HoP...

Delete

Pogo69
SILVER Member since Apr 2006

Pogo69

there's no charge for awesomeness... or attractiveness

Total posts: 3764
Posted:yup yup, I'm pretty sure that chase == weave... cos each Poi "chases" the other as you move from one side to the other...

and... actually, I dunno how long it took me... I picked up bits and pieces of Poi over time, without much dedicated effort, cos I don't really like it very much; staff's my thing...

--pogo (pat) [forever and always]

Delete

LynxLynx
SILVER Member since Aug 2007

LynxLynx

Total posts: 27
Posted:I took me about three/four days to get backwards 3-beat weave.

The best (hardest? the most fun?) moves in my case are probably meltdowns and full body crossers, which I got in the last week.

Delete

-sandy-
BRONZE Member since Jul 2004

-sandy-

old hand

Total posts: 716
Posted:Reverse weave i struggled with on and off for about 2 months then got it in a day after being showed how to do it properly by wibble matt.

Currently my favorite move is antispun atomic weave or maybe split time arms butterfly hybrid flowers or maybe wibbles but that changes pretty much every time i learn something new.

"Don't do it naked!"

Delete

EmoAtHeart

EmoAtHeart

stranger

Posted:yeah it is the weave but im stupid and listened to my friend she calls it backwards chase *points at Araceli* its her fault i swear!

I LOST THE GAME!!!!!!

Delete

Jameth
GOLD Member since May 2008

Jameth

enthusiast

Total posts: 378
Posted:Backwards 3 beat weave? About 3 weeks from when I started Poi, about 3 days after I learned the forward weave.

That was about a month ago, current best move is the fountain.

Delete

Mucky
SILVER Member since Apr 2008

Mucky

Rum-Swilling Combustioneer

Total posts: 227
Posted: Written by :-sandy-

Currently my favorite move is antispun atomic weave or maybe split time arms butterfly hybrid flowers or maybe wibbles but that changes pretty much every time i learn something new.

Yeah, yeah, showoff!! wink

My favorite move right now is not accidentally clubbing myself in the head! smile

Bouncing Baby Pipe!

Delete

bentforkx
GOLD Member since Oct 2007

bentforkx

Should I be spinning around my poi, or should my poi be spinning around me???

Total posts: 42
Posted:1 day to get it
2 months to polish it up

Spinning makes the world go round

Delete

Pink...?
BRONZE Member since Apr 2002

Pink...?

Mistress of Pink...Multicoloured

Total posts: 6140
Posted:I can't remember... I think a couple of weeks after picking up Poi. I vaguely remember hitting myself a lot whilst learning it.

My best move? Or my favourite? No idea. I don't know half the names of moves anymore. I quite like the butterfly one, where one is long arm and the other anti-spun. Or the one that Sy made me learn last year for the end of our routine?

No idea of names... sorry. I don't tend to learn moves anymore, I just sort of swing them around in some random pattern trying not to make them hit each other.

Never pick up a duck in a dungeon...

Delete

Birgit
BRONZE Member since Jan 2005

Birgit

had her carpal tunnel surgery already thanks v much

Total posts: 4145
Posted:backwards 3 beat? That was pretty easy once I could do it forwards (but that took me ages), maybe 2 hours or so.

"vices are like genitals - most are ugly to behold, and yet we find that our own are dear to us."
(G.W. Dahlquist)

Owner of Dragosani's left half

Delete

FireNix
BRONZE Member since Apr 2001

FireNix

old hand

Total posts: 904
Posted:you call 3 hrs ages?! - jeez - kids these days!
When I tried learning the 3 beat backwards - about 7 8yrs ago- I rekon it took me ab out 3 months!

Feel the Flame
Phirenix

Delete

Seye
SILVER Member since Mar 2005

Seye

Geek

Total posts: 1261
Posted:I genuinely cant remember how long it took - probably a few weeks to properly understand what I had to do.

My favourite / best move...?
Probably butterfloops. Such a great word and looks very nice from the spinners perspective. Either that or something with a stupid name like an 'isolated antispin buzzsaw fountain' (I'm sure that level of geekiness Simta will post in this thread shortly - its like a lightbulb to a moth).

I'm with Pink though - I havent learned a 'move' for years. I just spin Poi in a way that feels nice while trying not to get them too tangled :-)

Delete

hamamelis
BRONZE Member since Jan 2006

hamamelis

nut.

Total posts: 756
Posted:The forward took me *sooooo* long- though in my defence I was trying to figure it out from seeing someone do it a few month previously, and no-one showed me how. Once someone *did* show me what my arms should be doing, it was only about half an hour.

Backwards, I figured out about a week or so later, but I guess that would only have been an hour or so of actual practice...

THE MEEK WILL INHERIT THE EARTH!

If that's okay with you?

Delete

GeoffonTour04
SILVER Member since Nov 2005

enthusiast

Total posts: 360
Posted:I learned forwards weave in about half an hour - someone showed be a 2 beat & I accidentally did a 3 beat, took ages learning 2 beat. Backwards took another couple of days, probably a few hours total practice.

Best move I know now is probably 4bt thread the needle with right arm doing linear isolation cateye thingummys.

Delete

Birgit
BRONZE Member since Jan 2005

Birgit

had her carpal tunnel surgery already thanks v much

Total posts: 4145
Posted:Hahaha! No... the few hours for the backwards wasn't ages. Learning the forward weave before that seemed to take ages (it was probably 2 weekly meets only but beginners are impatient) and took 3 different people to explain it in different ways before I understood it ubblol that's why it was so easy backwards I guess, because I'd already thought about it from every possible angle!!

"vices are like genitals - most are ugly to behold, and yet we find that our own are dear to us."
(G.W. Dahlquist)

Owner of Dragosani's left half

Delete

Rouge Dragon
BRONZE Member since Jul 2003

Rouge Dragon

Insert Champagne Here

Total posts: 13215
Posted:I don't even know what a butterfloop is but it's totally my favourite on the word alone!

i would have changed ***** to phallus, and claire to petey Petey

Rougie: but that's what I'm doing here
Arnwyn: what letting me adjust myself in your room?..don't you dare quote that on HoP...

Delete

Seye
SILVER Member since Mar 2005

Seye

Geek

Total posts: 1261
Posted: Written by :Rouge Dragon

I don't even know what a butterfloop is but it's totally my favourite on the word alone!

Butterfloop = Butterfly Hyperloop

Possibly the greatest word to come out of the whole spinning scene biggrin ubblol

Delete

deadkenndys1105
SILVER Member since Jun 2008

journeyman

Total posts: 65
Posted:I can't really do anything behind the back. I haven't really tried learning much behind the back yet.

Delete

spinningstarlet
SILVER Member since Aug 2006

spinningstarlet

enthusiast

Total posts: 271
Posted:reverse 3btw probably 5 hours or so. once i had the forward down i just had to get my head round doing the same thing backwards.... took some figuring out but i got there and don't even think about it mostly now.

Delete