Forums > Help! > This is a important question that you should answer!

Login/Join to Participate

EmoAtHeartstranger
20 posts

Posted:
Okay the big question how long did it take for you to learn the backwards chase(with poi)?
And what is the best move you know now?

I know this is lame but I'm curious. hug

I LOST THE GAME!!!!!!

Pogo69SILVER Member
there's no charge for awesomeness... or attractiveness
3,764 posts

Posted:
 Written by :EmoAtHeart

36 and up

eek ... damn... I'm in the "everyone else AKA oldies" group

--pogo (pat) [forever and always]

EmoAtHeartstranger
20 posts

Posted:
aww i sowwy and whats your answer to the how long did it take for you to learn the backwards chase(with poi)? question

I LOST THE GAME!!!!!!

MuckySILVER Member
Rum-Swilling Combustioneer
227 posts

Posted:
*Doesn't know what a backwards chase is*

So... 6 months! smile

Bouncing Baby Pipe!

Rouge DragonBRONZE Member
Insert Champagne Here
13,215 posts

Posted:
What's a backwards chase? Is it a backwards weave?

i would have changed ***** to phallus, and claire to petey Petey

Rougie: but that's what I'm doing here
Arnwyn: what letting me adjust myself in your room?..don't you dare quote that on HoP...

Pogo69SILVER Member
there's no charge for awesomeness... or attractiveness
3,764 posts

Posted:
yup yup, I'm pretty sure that chase == weave... cos each poi "chases" the other as you move from one side to the other...

and... actually, I dunno how long it took me... I picked up bits and pieces of poi over time, without much dedicated effort, cos I don't really like it very much; staff's my thing...

--pogo (pat) [forever and always]

LynxLynxSILVER Member
27 posts

Posted:
I took me about three/four days to get backwards 3-beat weave.

The best (hardest? the most fun?) moves in my case are probably meltdowns and full body crossers, which I got in the last week.

-sandy-BRONZE Member
old hand
716 posts

Posted:
Reverse weave i struggled with on and off for about 2 months then got it in a day after being showed how to do it properly by wibble matt.

Currently my favorite move is antispun atomic weave or maybe split time arms butterfly hybrid flowers or maybe wibbles but that changes pretty much every time i learn something new.

"Don't do it naked!"

EmoAtHeartstranger
20 posts

Posted:
yeah it is the weave but im stupid and listened to my friend she calls it backwards chase *points at Araceli* its her fault i swear!

I LOST THE GAME!!!!!!

JamethGOLD Member
enthusiast
378 posts

Posted:
Backwards 3 beat weave? About 3 weeks from when I started poi, about 3 days after I learned the forward weave.

That was about a month ago, current best move is the fountain.

MuckySILVER Member
Rum-Swilling Combustioneer
227 posts

Posted:
 Written by :-sandy-

Currently my favorite move is antispun atomic weave or maybe split time arms butterfly hybrid flowers or maybe wibbles but that changes pretty much every time i learn something new.

Yeah, yeah, showoff!! wink

My favorite move right now is not accidentally clubbing myself in the head! smile

Bouncing Baby Pipe!

bentforkxGOLD Member
Should I be spinning around my poi, or should my poi be spinning around me???
42 posts

Posted:
1 day to get it
2 months to polish it up

Spinning makes the world go round

Pink...?BRONZE Member
Mistress of Pink...Multicoloured
6,140 posts

Posted:
I can't remember... I think a couple of weeks after picking up poi. I vaguely remember hitting myself a lot whilst learning it.

My best move? Or my favourite? No idea. I don't know half the names of moves anymore. I quite like the butterfly one, where one is long arm and the other anti-spun. Or the one that Sy made me learn last year for the end of our routine?

No idea of names... sorry. I don't tend to learn moves anymore, I just sort of swing them around in some random pattern trying not to make them hit each other.

Never pick up a duck in a dungeon...

BirgitBRONZE Member
had her carpal tunnel surgery already thanks v much
4,145 posts

Posted:
backwards 3 beat? That was pretty easy once I could do it forwards (but that took me ages), maybe 2 hours or so.

"vices are like genitals - most are ugly to behold, and yet we find that our own are dear to us."
(G.W. Dahlquist)

Owner of Dragosani's left half

FireNixBRONZE Member
old hand
904 posts

Posted:
you call 3 hrs ages?! - jeez - kids these days!
When I tried learning the 3 beat backwards - about 7 8yrs ago- I rekon it took me ab out 3 months!

Feel the Flame
Phirenix

SeyeSILVER Member
Geek
1,261 posts

Posted:
I genuinely cant remember how long it took - probably a few weeks to properly understand what I had to do.

My favourite / best move...?
Probably butterfloops. Such a great word and looks very nice from the spinners perspective. Either that or something with a stupid name like an 'isolated antispin buzzsaw fountain' (I'm sure that level of geekiness Simta will post in this thread shortly - its like a lightbulb to a moth).

I'm with Pink though - I havent learned a 'move' for years. I just spin poi in a way that feels nice while trying not to get them too tangled :-)

hamamelisBRONZE Member
nut.
756 posts

Posted:
The forward took me *sooooo* long- though in my defence I was trying to figure it out from seeing someone do it a few month previously, and no-one showed me how. Once someone *did* show me what my arms should be doing, it was only about half an hour.

Backwards, I figured out about a week or so later, but I guess that would only have been an hour or so of actual practice...

THE MEEK WILL INHERIT THE EARTH!

If that's okay with you?

GeoffonTour04SILVER Member
enthusiast
360 posts

Posted:
I learned forwards weave in about half an hour - someone showed be a 2 beat & I accidentally did a 3 beat, took ages learning 2 beat. Backwards took another couple of days, probably a few hours total practice.

Best move I know now is probably 4bt thread the needle with right arm doing linear isolation cateye thingummys.

BirgitBRONZE Member
had her carpal tunnel surgery already thanks v much
4,145 posts

Posted:
Hahaha! No... the few hours for the backwards wasn't ages. Learning the forward weave before that seemed to take ages (it was probably 2 weekly meets only but beginners are impatient) and took 3 different people to explain it in different ways before I understood it ubblol that's why it was so easy backwards I guess, because I'd already thought about it from every possible angle!!

"vices are like genitals - most are ugly to behold, and yet we find that our own are dear to us."
(G.W. Dahlquist)

Owner of Dragosani's left half

Rouge DragonBRONZE Member
Insert Champagne Here
13,215 posts

Posted:
I don't even know what a butterfloop is but it's totally my favourite on the word alone!

i would have changed ***** to phallus, and claire to petey Petey

Rougie: but that's what I'm doing here
Arnwyn: what letting me adjust myself in your room?..don't you dare quote that on HoP...

SeyeSILVER Member
Geek
1,261 posts

Posted:
 Written by :Rouge Dragon

I don't even know what a butterfloop is but it's totally my favourite on the word alone!

Butterfloop = Butterfly Hyperloop

Possibly the greatest word to come out of the whole spinning scene biggrin ubblol

deadkenndys1105SILVER Member
journeyman
65 posts

Posted:
I can't really do anything behind the back. I haven't really tried learning much behind the back yet.

spinningstarletSILVER Member
enthusiast
271 posts

Posted:
reverse 3btw probably 5 hours or so. once i had the forward down i just had to get my head round doing the same thing backwards.... took some figuring out but i got there and don't even think about it mostly now.