Forums > Social Discussion > who would you pay money to watch / learn from

Login/Join to Participate
Page:
strugzBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,964 posts

Posted:
Ok so i am asking this in the loosest possible term but my general idea is this.

Over the next year, if the last is anything to go buy i will be bumping into alot of old friends and some new - all of which to me are awesome at what they do. However, some stand out, for what reason, be it style, character or just because i like that person i dont know, but they do.

If im sat at a gathering watching many people play, there ae a few people that could get up for a spin and will draw my eye out of a huge group because of what they do. Im not saying there the best, im saying ther are unique to me. Im sure you all know what i mean.

Anyhow - to the point strugz, if i was to spend a very long time (yeh yeh) making a video of spinners that stand out, in the form of an arty / wokshoppy type thing, who would you recommend / like to see on it?

Personnally for me there are a few, but ill get the ball rolling:

Garthy & Ucof - unique style (when they doesnt realise there on camera, a joy to watch every time)

Simian - i stare at this dude spinning poi and cant work out what hes doing - its great smile

Ronan - smooth, uberclean, slow and controlled.

Sy - smooth, uber clean and fast.

Antti - love watching this guy, throws from everywhere, fast, clean and consistant.

As i said above this is not a whos best at all, but a who stands out in a crowd of firespinners to you and why smile

If you think this thread is gay, then your name is probably Meg wink

So, after play 2 is finished this is going to be a little project of my own for the coming year and i think it could be something great biggrin

ubbrollsmile

"...We don't stop playing because we get old, we get old because we stop playing......."

DurbsBRONZE Member
Classically British
5,689 posts

Posted:
Hmmm...

I'd ditto lots of yours, but it's tricky because I see lots of inspirational spinners fairly often, so for me, I wouldn't really want to see that person on a DVD. For example if you weren't reading this, I'd say Strugz - but I see you faaaaaaaar to often as it is wink Likewise Blue and Fluff are just down the road, and the Londoners I can see at Spitz whenever the need takes me smile

So, i'm going to go for some more hard-to-track-down ones (which will make your plans much harder I expect) smile

Yuta - Never seen him spin in real life, only on grainy internet vids
Imakokode - He's just cool smile
Cassandra - biggrin
Rev - I don't think I've ever really seen him spin in a non-teachy video
Icon - Ditto
Malcolm - Just because
Ben-Ja-Men - For the comedy section wink
Brett - Cos he's mental
Brett's dog Nelson - Cos he's cute
Josh - True aussie-style doubles/clubs
Katinca - True aussie poi smile
Dentrassi - For the male-equilvalent of Clare smile
and the uber-number-one-you-HAVE-to-get...
Kyle Maclean

Off you go biggrin

Burner of Toast
Spinner of poi
Slacker of enormous magnitude

strugzBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,964 posts

Posted:
i wouldnt say harder...... just means i have to go to OZ biggrin

thanks for suggestions dude.

see you tonight ubbrollsmile

"...We don't stop playing because we get old, we get old because we stop playing......."

DurbsBRONZE Member
Classically British
5,689 posts

Posted:
can I come? biggrin

Burner of Toast
Spinner of poi
Slacker of enormous magnitude

DentrassiGOLD Member
ZORT!
3,045 posts

Posted:
ubblol theres a female version of me?? my god i didnt think it was possible! well im travelling over there in 2008 - if me and clare meet, does that mean the world will end?

Well - in regards to Kyle - i wouldnt pay to see him - because he lives downstairs and that would just be silly smile - but i reckon everyone else should pay to see him kiss i think Tumblehat is scabbing free lessons in our backyard as we speak...

No disrespect to other poi teachers i had - but i must say Meenik has had the biggest influence on me for his understanding of dance and body movement - id pay to see him any day.

Id pay to see brett, cos hes an amazing monkey - but only if his mother and dog are thrown in with the deal - cos they are equally lovely hug

te pooka rob - just because he has really playful ideas on how to be silly with lots of toys

mcp - for overuse of the word 'gay'
meast - simply beautiful style...
drew - his contact on sphericulism dvd really inspired...
yuta - crazy japanese style! love it!\
pyrolific & katinca - besides being generally lovely huggable friends, both have beautiful fluid dancey styles (best seen when they forget people are watching)... tis glorious to see them play!
antii - no reason needed!

smeh - this is a hard list to think about - sooo many videos ive seen - will some come back & edit list a bit more smile

"Here kitty kitty...." - Schroedinger.

_Poiboy_PLATINUM Member
bastard child of satan
1,113 posts

Posted:
other than the people already posted here:
oli
ros
rob(bluecat)
laura
beth

Mascotenthusiast
301 posts

Posted:
Um

Matt wibble- He's the man

Thats it really.

Walls may have ears but they don't have eyes

Mr ChutneySILVER Member
Tosser
1,712 posts

Posted:
Yep, Sphercular Matt would be my only addition to the names already seen smile

Rouge DragonBRONZE Member
Insert Champagne Here
13,215 posts

Posted:
people keep mentioning this mythical Yuta.

Yuta, if you're reading this, I've tried to pm you and I'm desperate for some spinning company in this country!

sorry, offtopic, but i *am* desperate!

i would have changed ***** to phallus, and claire to petey Petey

Rougie: but that's what I'm doing here
Arnwyn: what letting me adjust myself in your room?..don't you dare quote that on HoP...

Yell fire!SILVER Member
151 posts

Posted:
Jay (Fire Fantasy, France)

Gordn (Lenn Fei, Germany)

Seen both of them for free but would gladly pay to see them again!

StoutBRONZE Member
Pooh-Bah
1,872 posts

Posted:
Considering I'm putting most of my practice time and energy into contact staff these days, I've got say, hands down..MCP.

For poi, the best teacher I've run into is Andy House, he's approachable and not only answers questions, but answers them in ways I never thought of.

There's more, I could make a list based on videos I've seen and posts I've read both here and on Tribe, however I won't bore you with a list and I'll just stick with these two because not only are they amazing at what they do, they know how to teach.

the_mods_stole_my_nameSILVER Member
travelling without moving
1,286 posts

Posted:
*gets an intense feeling of deja vu*

this is well freaky strugz! i was thinking all about this last night. i was even going to make a thread about people who draw your eyes away from a crowd. not necessarily famous spinners, just people you enjoy watching.
i would have said Oli, chutney, mr.widd, and one of the other guys from the chimaera group whose name i don't know....(the guy with the big mohawk) were all in my list, especially the last guy, his style is so graceful it amazes me.

Heilige Scheiße, Batman kommt!

Reality is just a state of mind which occurs through a lack of lsd

XxX owned by devilsarmy XxX

O.B.E.S.E.

Mascotenthusiast
301 posts

Posted:
 Written by: the_mods_stole_my_name

one of the other guys from the chimaera group whose name i don't know....(the guy with the big mohawk) were all in my list, especially the last guy, his style is so graceful it amazes me.

Si

he posts here as dream but is currently mohawk-less
EDITED_BY: the boy g (1167928797)

Walls may have ears but they don't have eyes

jo_rhymesSILVER Member
Momma Bear
4,525 posts

Posted:
People I love to watch spinning:

Ucof and Simian
Rossco
Chutney
Sym

Drew and Ed are also kickass.

Those are my personal faves smile

Hoppers are angels who lift us to our feet when our wings have trouble remembering how to fly.

BansheeCatBRONZE Member
veteran
1,247 posts

Posted:
Nick, Andy, Cole, Sy, Yuta, Rev, Rovo, Ronin, Lisa, Meast, Klaus, Karl, Elasta, James, Fluffy, Garthy, Kira( Firebelly Productions), Dev Kev, Arashi, Christine, ...

Oh this gets a bit silly.I could go on forever... I know so many fabulous spinners and love to watch them all, and learn from them whenever I can.

My favorite is actually Mauiki, cause she spins so beautifully, but in a way that makes me able to see what the next step is for me to try and do it myself- inspiring, but at the same time accessible. And my friend Shelley, cause we can be silly and free together without any judgement or hesitation. I would not so much want to watch these two, as spin with them for a day, or days...

"God *was* my co-pilot, but then we crashed, and I had to eat him..."

1,286 posts

Posted:
thanks boy g. i'd also like to add the talented, and quite techy, Nate aka osakini, to my list.

O.B.E.S.E.

BansheeCatBRONZE Member
veteran
1,247 posts

Posted:
Oh, yes, Nate too, Nate is a fabulous teacher ! A little more time and I would have learned to hug... ubblol hug

"God *was* my co-pilot, but then we crashed, and I had to eat him..."

[Nx?]BRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,749 posts

Posted:
simian

will

kyle mcklean

yuta

This is a post by tom, all spelling is deleberate
-><- Kallisti

1,286 posts

Posted:
Nate hugs are amazing!!!

i also forgot to add garthy to the list...this list is gonna get out of hand!

O.B.E.S.E.

newgabeSILVER Member
what goes around comes around. unless you're into stalls.
4,030 posts

Posted:
Sheesh. Spoiled I am. Most of the people in the above lists have spun in my backyard one time or other. Or live downstairs. Or I saw em in Europe last year.

My tops? In styles:

Jay Latour

Nick 'god' Woolsey and Yuta

Si, Garthy and Ronan

DevKev

Glittertill and Anya (Sista Firewire), the cutest sexiest little creatures ever.

However I know roughly what these people do. Right now I would pay to find out what I don't know: like whatever Grace (ex FlameOz) is up to now she has been in Chinese circus school for a year. And how Meast would bloom if he spent some time clowning with Kyle wink (and vice versa) Hmmm I realise they are the only staff players on my list.

But what I REALLY want to see is not freestyling individuals but GROUPS with communication and creative inspiration as well as tech precision/ character/ choreo. The sort of path that FlameOz travelled.

Till and Anya and Fenfire were the closest I saw in Europe. Jam too but they didn't last. Tell me about any other groups that put in the time to excel in that way... them I would pay to see. Even if it means getting them over to my backyard wink ubbrollsmile

.....Can't juggle balls but I sure as hell can juggle details....

faith enfireBRONZE Member
wandering thru the woods of WI
3,556 posts

Posted:
just keeping it simple cause i need to learn some of the basics still so who better than:
nick
and meg
i could put them up in the hotel and then we could go down to the lake or my backyard
ooooh or we could go up to lampham peak and be up on top of the tower

Faith
Nay, whatever comes one hour was sunlit and the most high gods may not make boast of any better thing than to have watched that hour as it passed

ben-ja-menGOLD Member
just lost .... evil init
2,474 posts

Posted:
durbs spinning poi to the muppets sounds track (most enjoyable poi ive ever seen)
knox and gracy doing their doubles routine because its like super uuuuber cheesey and full of slick spinning
kyle and pfsh doing contact jamming cos its just really really really entertaining
nick, rob and dan doing californian kung fu
fluff and dunc doing ska poi

Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light, not our darkness that most frightens us. We ask ourself, who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous and talented? Who are you NOT to be?

FireTomStargazer
6,650 posts

Posted:
Everybody named already, I would LOVE to learn from and not mind paying for... except maybe mR.5iffr3di wink

the best smiles are the ones you lead to wink

ValuraSILVER Member
Mumma Hen
6,391 posts

Posted:
Dev Kev. Cause he is my bestest buddy and I miss him so much it is giving me a hernia. I have been trying to call you pom boy!!

Glass. Cause your disgustingly talented.

Rob the cat cause I love his style.

Amanda le bon. Just because she can wiggle so divinely.I wanna wiggle like her one day

Jesse from the carnival of the divine Imagination. Cause I don't think that there is anything he couldn't do! (hope you guys had fun at your party tonight)

oh yeah. That pryotix dood from col 6. I lurrrrve your style.

of course arsn. Cause I love to watch him spin and its even more satisfying knowing that I have seen him work out, and practice most of the tricks he is doing.

ubblove

TAJ "boat mummy." VALURA "yes sweetie you went on a boat, was daddy there with you?" TAJ "no, but monkey on boat" VALURA "well then sweetie, Daddy WAS there with you"

YakumoSILVER Member
veteran
1,237 posts

Posted:
Got to love simian, bar a little staff and CJ it was trying to figure his poi out that I entirely lost new years in Ed. to smile

smile >
EDITED_BY: Yakumo (1168135118)

Blinded by Hyperlights, please donate generously grin

Bubbles_SILVER Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,384 posts

Posted:
 Written by: strugz

some stand out, for what reason, be it style, character or just because i like that person i dont know, but they do.

If im sat at a gathering watching many people play, there ae a few people that could get up for a spin and will draw my eye out of a huge group because of what they do.

apart from previously mentioned peeps, id have to include mags as he makes me laugh when he spins, his martial jumps etc are wicked to watch when he spins.
also trippy hippy (roman), he confuses me a lot when he spins, and hes actually really good, just usually too busy skinning and not spinning!

id have to repeat nick woolsey because of his smile when he spins ( as well as amazing spinning), and meg, although she might be scary wink she does some wicked and weird stuff. oh and nate because as soon as he sees something new he can do it straight away
angry wink

and aimee with ed! as a pair body popping with a cj ball they are fantastic ubblol they are such a funny pair to watch biggrin

Disclaimer:im not responsible for what i say or do whether it be before,during and after drinking alcoholic substances (owned by BMVC).
Creater of Jenisms(TM)
Virginity like bubble,one prick all gone.

mcpPLATINUM Member
Flying Water Muppet
5,276 posts

Posted:
Yay for the hop popularity contest!

I would pay to watch Stitch (from Lilo and) spin four staffs. And fire breath. In fact I'd pay to watch him knaw on stuff and just generally destroy things. biggrin

"the now legendary" - Kaskade
"the still legendary" - Kaskade

I spunked in my friend's aquarium and the fish ate it. I love all fish. Especially the pink ones. They are my bitches. - Anon.

YakumoSILVER Member
veteran
1,237 posts

Posted:
yuta, meenik, simian, rovo, bluecat&fluff, glass

And I just DID pay to come see MCP, Chrono,Strugz, Irinus, TinyPixie, Neon just some festivities got in the way ubblol wink

So this is tricky, as it's now blurring the lines massively between the idea of paying to go see people I've met and like and want to see again, and paying to see people I want to learn from. And I want to see people I like making all the money in the world for doing what they love anyway.

All theoretical though cos I'm sooooo censored broke now, where's the 'non soul destroying job fairy' when you need her.. smile

Blinded by Hyperlights, please donate generously grin

Antti_EverythingGOLD Member
addict
446 posts

Posted:
Maelle, Doro and a bunch of japanese baton twirlers ubblove

Point your toes.

AdeSILVER Member
Are we there yet?
1,897 posts

Posted:
no individual in particular - but I would like to see a nice polished group perform, costumes, humour, etc...all the sorts of things we talk about being wonderful in a professional show...

pineapple peteSILVER Member
water based
5,125 posts

Posted:
hmm, definetly antti, jonny ucof, kyle, brett, cass and many others that i cant think of at this point in time though.

definetly not meg wink

hug

"you know there are no trophys for doing silly things in real life yeah pete?" said ant "you wont get a 'listened to ride of the valkyries all the way to vietnam' trophy"

*proud owner of the very cute fire_spinning_angel, birgit and neon shaolin*

Page: