Forums > Beginner Staff Moves > Post a pic of a really cheap long (5-5 1/2') staff

Login/Join to Participate

JHunnBRONZE Member
7 posts

Posted:
I have tried to make myself a decent practice staff off the posts on these forums, but have not been successfull at doing it. Can someone post a pic of what one should look like? I'd be much obliged. Also, is it worth it to buy a beginners DVD to firetwirling? Let me know!

CharlesBRONZE Member
Corporate Circus Arts Entertainer
3,989 posts

Posted:
If you want really cheap, then get a broom stick from a hardware store and wrap a t-shirt on each end.

If it's for practice, that's all you need... I use them all the time when teaching others and holding workshops...

HoP Posting Guidelines
* Is it the Truth?
* Is it Fair to all concerned?
* Will it build Goodwill and Better Friendships?
* Will it be Beneficial to all concerned?

JHunnBRONZE Member
7 posts

Posted:
I bought myself a 6' dowel rod, so I'm good there, but how would I put the t-shirt on it? Just wrap it around the end?

mcpPLATINUM Member
Flying Water Muppet
5,276 posts

Posted:
GAFFER TAPE!!

aka:

duck tape
duct tape
fabric tape

(wide silver / black tape)

"the now legendary" - Kaskade
"the still legendary" - Kaskade

I spunked in my friend's aquarium and the fish ate it. I love all fish. Especially the pink ones. They are my bitches. - Anon.

Antti_EverythingGOLD Member
addict
446 posts

Posted:
 Written by: mcp

GAFFER TAPE!!

aka:

duck tape
duct tape
fabric tape

(wide silver / black tape)

aka:

Jesus tape (it saves you whatever the problem..)

Point your toes.

JHunnBRONZE Member
7 posts

Posted:
Ok I think I got it. So I wrap the short length wise around the ends to resemble what the kevlar would like like or what? Do they hang off or secure around it? Whats else could I use? I'm looking for something I can easily buy at a nearby store or something.

mcpPLATINUM Member
Flying Water Muppet
5,276 posts

Posted:
tea towel, bits of old towel, bed sheets, anything that looks like it can take a bit of a bashing and not fall apart. (and that you won't need loads off to add a bit of weight.) Candyfloss is no good.

I spunked in my friend's aquarium and the fish ate it. I love all fish. Especially the pink ones. They are my bitches. - Anon.

DurbsBRONZE Member
Classically British
5,689 posts

Posted:
Cats are purrfect

Burner of Toast
Spinner of poi
Slacker of enormous magnitude

mcpPLATINUM Member
Flying Water Muppet
5,276 posts

Posted:
hamsters too. but you need a few of them, plus they squiggle for a while, which puts the balance off.

Neon_ShaolinGOLD Member
hehe, 'Member' huhuh
6,120 posts

Posted:
You can use the duck tape to fix a duck to the end too...

"I used to want to change the world, now I just wanna leave the room with a little dignity..." - Lotus Weinstock

mcpPLATINUM Member
Flying Water Muppet
5,276 posts

Posted:
noisy, and not just when you drop.

Neon_ShaolinGOLD Member
hehe, 'Member' huhuh
6,120 posts

Posted:
Which is where the duck tape will come in handy again by sealing the duck's beak. Or you could spin to 'The Birdie Song'. Or tape a Peking Roast Duck to each end. You can eat it after you've spun...

"I used to want to change the world, now I just wanna leave the room with a little dignity..." - Lotus Weinstock

JHunnBRONZE Member
7 posts

Posted:
LOL...Yeaaaa....but really...how do I put this dang thing on...I guess the point is just to add some balance weight and padding for when I whack myself. A pic for an example would be great if someone has one laying around.
I've been spinning drill rifles for about 5 years, so I've got the principal down, but I think im going to develop quite a few bruises...and burns once I finally got brave enough to light up =)

mcpPLATINUM Member
Flying Water Muppet
5,276 posts

Posted:
get a long thin length of whatever, maybe about 4 inches wide, (10cm)

tape one end to the stick. (at one end of the stick) wrap it around, and then tightened it up with your hands. Not to much, the tape on the inside might break.

tape up the outside lots.

You can put a nail through to stop the cloth tape mass moving up and down the staff. A carpet tack is usually fine, (or 3 tacks.)

tape over the tacks so they're no exposed metal to scratch yerself with.

repeat for otherside.

JHunnBRONZE Member
7 posts

Posted:
Thanks..>That greatly helps...Now for the last piece...the grip...I hear tennis rackit handles work well, but they are hard to find without disassembling my old rackets =) does duct tape work? and what length across a 5' staff? about 1 1/2 feet in middle?

mcpPLATINUM Member
Flying Water Muppet
5,276 posts

Posted:
duct tape does NOT work.

Try buying a grip from a racquet / sports store.

Leather is also good, or a bicycle handle grip from a bike shop. or anything soft and grippy....

JHunnBRONZE Member
7 posts

Posted:
Ok I will...how far down the staff?

TotalEclipseGOLD Member
120 posts

Posted:
Grips go in the middle, and can be as long or as short as you like - within reason. A grip isn't entirely necessary...but generally good. And remember to mark the centre! White electrical tape does this a treat.

JHunnBRONZE Member
7 posts

Posted:
Lol, I made it! It's got a lot of duct tape on it though to hold the cloth in place. And I ran out of tennis grip half way across, so my balance point is gripless..Doh! ill take a picture once I complete it though!

LazyAngelGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
2,895 posts

Posted:
you can use old inner tube for your grip: I got mine in china from the local motorbike repair shop. I cleaned it once I got home and then used superglue to fix it on. They gave me a broken tube for free, so all I had to pay for was the superglue. Although my grip now has 'Hongdou Group Wuxi General Rubber Co. LTD' written across it shrug

Note: the curvy shape of the tube means that you may have to experiment a bit to find the best way to get a tight fit around the staff. The best way is to glue, pull it tight, and then glue again, that way you get a nice snug fit.

Because ActiveAngel sounds like a feminine deodorant

Like sex, I'm much more interesting in real life than online.

'Be the change you want to see in the world around you' - Ghandi

LazyAngelGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
2,895 posts

Posted:
Oh yeah and you can use the excess rubber for the ends...

Because ActiveAngel sounds like a feminine deodorant

Like sex, I'm much more interesting in real life than online.

'Be the change you want to see in the world around you' - Ghandi

Twisthem488member
187 posts

Posted:
heres the staff I use at games (I'm a yell leader) Its a short lenght of pvc (about 5 1/2') 1/2" diameter SCH 40. Found some rubber tape at a hardware store and used that as grip. The ends are covered in some extra Mylar I have from my rc plane supplies. Electrical tape keeps everything from peeling.

Non-Https Image Link

Im a Thespian, But I'll Act Normal Around You Guys