Forums > Social Chat > Poi is cool according to Marie Claire magazine!Good or bad?

Login/Join to Participate
Page:
icklepurklegirlmember
116 posts

Posted:
Dear lord...whilst browsing through my housemates trendy fashion mags, I found poi in the 'whats hot' section of Marie Claire!
Watch out for business women spinning near you soon!
Seriously, is this the end of poi as a community of like minded individuals via the death knell of corporate branding? Or is it a possible new influx of lovely spinners?
opinions?

-spinnin' to the rhythm of the new world order-

SkulduggeryGOLD Member
Pirate Pixie Crew Captain
8,428 posts

Posted:
Yes Cole maybe I was being a little bit simplistic.

Feed me Chocolate!!! Feed me NOW!

colemanSILVER Member
big and good and broken
7,330 posts

Posted:
hug skully hug

cole. x

"i see you at 'dis cafe.
i come to 'dis cafe quite a lot myself.
they do porridge."
- tim westwood

GothFrogetteBRONZE Member
grumpy poorly froggy
3,999 posts

Posted:
i personaly have no problem with it, more people should spin IMO its so much fun... hehehe i infected lots of people in my town and its wicked seeing them all in the park etc having fun. i would prefer to see this than the usual drinking etc. Heck they even stop drinking as much as it means they can not Poi without hitting either themselves or others.

kids drinking or kids poi-ing... yeah poi wins every time.They make me so proud.

Life's too short to worry about where you put your marshmallows

TotalEclipseGOLD Member
120 posts

Posted:
I've been sparking poi off in all directions to various family members and friends of mine, and its great to see them getting a kick out of it. While there might be more people thinking about doing fire long before they are ready, there will also then be a heightened awareness about the dangers. Any horror stories will go very public if it is a big thing, and fire accidents will probably remain at a constant proportion of spinners.

I for one spend much less time (ironically, considering my current positon) on the computer and/or bumming around since I took up poi and staff properly - I notice the difference in my badminton play as well. I spend less time sitting about, and its good. If that gets transferred to others - brilliant!

Twisthem488member
187 posts

Posted:
I'd be all for it. Remember when Yo-Yo's became the cool thing to do over here in the states? Everywhere you went you could start playing around with people and have fun. There more of an emphasis on yo-yoing. I even saw an article or two in sports illustrated about big comps. Companies sales were going up, and so they started comming out with better more revolutionary designs. I dont think poi will become mainstream, but I dont see it as being a much of a bad thing if it does.

Im a Thespian, But I'll Act Normal Around You Guys

jo_rhymesSILVER Member
Momma Bear
4,525 posts

Posted:
it'd be better than no-one knowing what poi is!!

Stranger: "what's poi?"
Me: "well, it's like swinging balls around on string"
Stranger: "oh,,,sounds...great"

Poi is fun yay! and it might keep some of these youngsters off the streets and into the fields to play smile

Hoppers are angels who lift us to our feet when our wings have trouble remembering how to fly.

poigmarmite and nutella sandwich
1,590 posts

Posted:
Poi was being done at Soul Survivor as well (don't ask what it is)-it's everywhere! Yay biggrin

THE hop Pyro.
(with parents)
Unowned

faith enfireBRONZE Member
wandering thru the woods of WI
3,556 posts

Posted:
*bump*
has any one seen an influx in poi-ers?

Faith
Nay, whatever comes one hour was sunlit and the most high gods may not make boast of any better thing than to have watched that hour as it passed

PeleBRONZE Member
the henna lady
6,193 posts

Posted:
I'd say it just to get spanked by Durbs. wink

Thing is, it's been in alot of magazines and tv shows through the years and this debate comes up each time. Lots of threads about it.

Just like Cardio strip and all that was hot. Whatever.

In the next month edition it's something else and this is forgotten...leaving it for all of us to whap ourselves gleefully with! biggrin

Nope, no influx.
Just the same old tree huggers as always. wink

Pele
Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir
"Oooh look! A pub!" -exclaimed after recovering from a stupid fall
"And for the decadence of art, nothing beats a roaring fire." -TMK

polaritySILVER Member
veteran
1,228 posts

Posted:
Poi at Soul Survivor?

I think Froggy may be partly responsible for that too wink

It'd be interesting to see the site's server logs, to see how the number of people signing up changes.

You aren't thinking or really existing unless you're willing to risk even your own sanity in the judgment of your existence.

Green peppers, lime pickle and whole-grain mustard = best sandwich filling.

MynciBRONZE Member
Macaque of all trades
8,738 posts

Posted:
when will yoyo be cool again?

damn I don't do poi that must mean I'm not trendy.. Damnit and I try soooo hard. wink

A couple of balls short of a full cascade... or maybe a few cards short of a deck... we'll see how this all fans out.

1,590 posts

Posted:
Yoyo got banned in the U.K ubblol frown Too many kids were strangling themselves (probably 1 knowing the health and safety these days)

Thanks polar, did you mean froggy or goth frogette or someone else completely? wink
EDITED_BY: poig (1164643607)

THE hop Pyro.
(with parents)
Unowned

Minispinmember
110 posts

Posted:
poi will get banned coz of that eek

Minispins Gunna spin you!

MynciBRONZE Member
Macaque of all trades
8,738 posts

Posted:
Poi will get banned because it's lame wink no other reason other than groin pain (I just can't get passed that ubblol ) .... yoyo's strangle people... now why havn't I tried THAT one yet ubblol must be in the advanced moves section of splitting the atom...

A couple of balls short of a full cascade... or maybe a few cards short of a deck... we'll see how this all fans out.

colemanSILVER Member
big and good and broken
7,330 posts

Posted:
 Written by: poig

Yoyo got banned in the U.K ubblol frown

where and when did that happen?!

there was a yoyo competition in gloucester earlier this year:

i wonder if the police know about this illegal hotbed of dastardly crime...

wink

cole. x

"i see you at 'dis cafe.
they do porridge."
- tim westwood

YakumoSILVER Member
veteran
1,237 posts

Posted:
 Written by:

and they will all have glow poi (fire being far too dirty of course)

woo, bring it, they'd all be buying Hyperlights, that way I can see at least one of my friends happy and wealthy doing something they love biggrin

Blinded by Hyperlights, please donate generously grin

1,590 posts

Posted:
 Written by: coleman

Written by: poig

Yoyo got banned in the U.K ubblol frown

where and when did that happen?!

there was a yoyo competition in gloucester earlier this year:

i wonder if the police know about this illegal hotbed of dastardly crime...

wink

cole. x

It happened recently, i got told by a relation, so i'm not totally sure it's tue umm

THE hop Pyro.
(with parents)
Unowned

colemanSILVER Member
big and good and broken
7,330 posts

Posted:
offtopic

i think they must have been referring to this story:

https://abclocal.go.com/wls/story?section=consumer&id=4781053

its not even a yoyo - its a dodgy rubbery toy thing.
watch the video and you'll see how it could easily end up wrapped around a kid's neck while stretched which would then choke them as it tightens up...

cole. x

"i see you at 'dis cafe.
they do porridge."
- tim westwood

1,590 posts

Posted:
No- i know about that-that was a while a go, but they definantly said yoyo umm

THE hop Pyro.
(with parents)
Unowned

colemanSILVER Member
big and good and broken
7,330 posts

Posted:
(that story is from last week)

but if they definitely said yoyo and this country, they're making it up i reckon tongue wink

cole. x

"i see you at 'dis cafe.
they do porridge."
- tim westwood

1,590 posts

Posted:
umm
I'm very confused now *implodes in confusion*

THE hop Pyro.
(with parents)
Unowned

NYCNYC
9,232 posts

Posted:
Sorry to transition back on topic but I missed this thread the first time through.

Poi wasn't cooler in 2003. Nor was it cooler in 2001 when I wrote [Old link]

It wasn't cooler when you started. It wasn't cooler when I started. It won't be cooler when some newbie starts it tomorrow.

It's not going to be more or less cool when they start giving them out at starbucks.

It's going to stay exactly as cool as it always was.

It was you that was less cool back then. Your less coolness made the poi seem cooler by comparison. Now that you've gotten cooler the poi seem less cool when they haven't changed at all.

cool

Well, shall we go?
Yes, let's go.
[They do not move.]

faith enfireBRONZE Member
wandering thru the woods of WI
3,556 posts

Posted:
what if you weren't cool to start?

Faith
Nay, whatever comes one hour was sunlit and the most high gods may not make boast of any better thing than to have watched that hour as it passed

=Flashpoint=SILVER Member
Pasta of Muppets
2,722 posts

Posted:
Hang on, i'm *still* not cool!

ohmygodlaserbeamspewpewpew!
ubbrollsmileubbrollsmileubbrollsmileubbrollsmile

blu_valleySILVER Member
fluffy mess
197 posts

Posted:
...and I'm pretty damn sure that I've gotten a little less cool over the years...

"I want to know if you can see beauty even when it's not pretty, every day,and if you can source your own life from its presence.." - Oriah Mountain Dreamer

MynciBRONZE Member
Macaque of all trades
8,738 posts

Posted:
true wink
i however get cooler evey passing minute the only time I'm NOT cool is when I'm flailing my arms around with a pair of poi....

I have to say it's not the poi that's cool, it's the person doing cool stuff with the poi... I couldn't make poi cool if I spun in a freezer

Neon_ShaolinGOLD Member
hehe, 'Member' huhuh
6,120 posts

Posted:
That's your new years resolution for the year Mynci sorted...

Now to get a freezer big enough for you...

"I used to want to change the world, now I just wanna leave the room with a little dignity..." - Lotus Weinstock

MynciBRONZE Member
Macaque of all trades
8,738 posts

Posted:
no problem I work with 40 ft long 9'6" high reefer containers... and NOT the good kind wink

1,590 posts

Posted:
 Written by: NYC

Sorry to transition back on topic but I missed this thread the first time through.

Poi wasn't cooler in 2003. Nor was it cooler in 2001 when I wrote [Old link]

It wasn't cooler when you started. It wasn't cooler when I started. It won't be cooler when some newbie starts it tomorrow.

It's not going to be more or less cool when they start giving them out at starbucks.

It's going to stay exactly as cool as it always was.

It was you that was less cool back then. Your less coolness made the poi seem cooler by comparison. Now that you've gotten cooler the poi seem less cool when they haven't changed at all.

cool

But poi is cool in my school... ever since I started doing it there, everybody wanted a go, people are even asking where to get them from

But I don't want too many poiers-I want it to stay an unusual sport, so I'm not telling people nana

THE hop Pyro.
(with parents)
Unowned

DurbsBRONZE Member
Classically British
5,689 posts

Posted:
Nah afraid not.
Poi is only cool when done in graffiti sprayed urban wastelands, beaches, poi festivals (aka Cool Festivals) and on top of mountains.

Few things are cool when done in school, except possibly trigonomatry

Burner of Toast
Spinner of poi
Slacker of enormous magnitude

Page: