Forums > Social Chat > Poi is cool according to Marie Claire magazine!Good or bad?

Login/Join to Participate
Page:
icklepurklegirlmember
116 posts

Posted:
Dear lord...whilst browsing through my housemates trendy fashion mags, I found poi in the 'whats hot' section of Marie Claire!
Watch out for business women spinning near you soon!
Seriously, is this the end of poi as a community of like minded individuals via the death knell of corporate branding? Or is it a possible new influx of lovely spinners?
opinions?

-spinnin' to the rhythm of the new world order-

UnclassifiedLeggyGirlBRONZE Member
One day penguins will take over the world
916 posts

Posted:
OMFG! im not sure whether this is good or bad! new spinners is always good, actually, you say it was in a fashion mag?! in that case we have nothing to worry about! if poi is "in" this week, by next week they will have all given up and will be trying out the next thing!

ummmm...........anybody have any suggestions as to what i can put here?!

mjk is monitoring your interwebs!

KittyKillenthusiast
365 posts

Posted:
I couldn't tell you...it was in a fashion magazine ?? that a new one

Have you ever notice that poi is spelled backwords on the key board.............................................creepycool

alien_oddityCarpal \'Tunnel
7,193 posts

Posted:
oh dear god, that alsmost as bad as someone telling me they found "rave is back in fashion" complete with a "what's fashionable to wear"

"trendy casual with a hint of fluro"

ubblol

i can just see it now, BENCH, von dutchie(sp??) and onther brand names taking to the mosh pit ubblol

come to think of it, having no toilets, it being the filthyest place availble MAY(i hope) keep "trendy" people away

BamBamPooh-Bah
1,810 posts

Posted:
hey there's nothing wrong with a sharp suit swinging a poi or two in fact bring it on smile ladies and gents smile

A kiss blown is a kiss wasted, the only kind of kiss is a kiss tasted.

I'm a woman. We don't say what we want, but we reserve the right to be pissed off if we don't get it. That's what makes us so fascinating and not just a LITTLE bit scary.

Fine_Rabid_DogInternet Hate Machine
10,530 posts

Posted:
I'm still looking forward to saying "Yeah, I was doing that before it was cool."

biggrin

The existance of flamethrowers says that someone, somewhere, at sometime said "I need to set that thing on fire, but it's too far away."

SunnySammySILVER Member
Watching the Sky
453 posts

Posted:
 Written by: Fine_Rabid_Dog

I'm still looking forward to saying "Yeah, I was doing that before it was cool."

biggrin

ditto though in may case not that long before twas cool though they dont know! teehee! biggrin

sunny
I jumped into the river, what did i see?
Black-eyed angels swam with me. wink

Mr MajestikSILVER Member
coming to a country near you
4,696 posts

Posted:
soon as you do a show in a suit i'll be glad to follow the lead.

"but have you considered there is more to life than your eyelids?"

jointly owned by Fire_Spinning_Angel and Blu_Valley

simtaBRONZE Member
compfuzzled
1,182 posts

Posted:
if i had a suit, a video cam, and a computer that wasnt dead, ubbidea

it wud be funny

"the geeks have got you" - Gayle

BirgitBRONZE Member
had her carpal tunnel surgery already thanks v much
4,145 posts

Posted:
hey, I might be a businesswoman at some point! Do I have to stop poiing then? eek

"vices are like genitals - most are ugly to behold, and yet we find that our own are dear to us."
(G.W. Dahlquist)

Owner of Dragosani's left half

icklepurklegirlmember
116 posts

Posted:
haha, no, I guess I -technically- count as a businesswoman. I just meant those scary ,tony and guy highlighted, pencil skirt and overpriced flats type...they tend to point and laugh at me poi-ing at the moment...would love to see them spinning!

alien_oddityCarpal \'Tunnel
7,193 posts

Posted:
you mean "pretty people " ickle???

blond higlights, uncomfortable looking shoes looking like they walked out of a catalogue ubblol i've even seen some do some of the poses ubblol

colemanSILVER Member
big and good and broken
7,330 posts

Posted:
i've had a pair of harrods-branded (ubblol), grey pinstripe cone poi for a couple of years now - specifically made for me to spin with on my lunchtimes in the city ubbrollsmile

still, if i say "i'm off spinning" to most of the people i work with, they'd probably just assume i was doing group aerobics on an exercise bike.

i guess the time to go round all the swanky gyms with offers of hugely overpriced poi classes for 'health and peace of mind' is fast approaching... wink

cole. x

"i see you at 'dis cafe.
i come to 'dis cafe quite a lot myself.
they do porridge."
- tim westwood

FireTomStargazer
6,650 posts

Posted:
coool, spinning business women rolleyes bounce wink

the best smiles are the ones you lead to wink

icklepurklegirlmember
116 posts

Posted:
rave-yup, those are the ones!
Cole- oh my god. thats a genius plan. lets do it and make our fortune!!

mmmm...ladies in suits...

BirgitBRONZE Member
4,145 posts

Posted:
"Improve your life with the ancient Maori tradition: Meditative to high-speed, you decide what is right for your fitness and well-being at this particular point in your life. Poi will improve your flexibility and coordination. According to your personal needs, you can vary use of muscle groups by spinning in different positions, and with or without a variety of dancing movements. Poi is easy on the joints and can be practiced at all stages of personal fitness. If you join today, you will receive a FREE pair of Tommy Hilfiger sock poi, filled with bags containing coffee beans pre-digested by Australian dingoes."

"vices are like genitals - most are ugly to behold, and yet we find that our own are dear to us."
(G.W. Dahlquist)

DragosaniGOLD Member
sunset seadragon
679 posts

Posted:
Oh Birgit, that is sooooo lush ubblol lol: lol: lol: lol: lol: lol: lol: lol: lol: lol: lol: lol:

“A dreamer is one who can only find his way by moonlight, and his punishment is that he sees the dawn before the rest of the world.” - Oscar Wilde
Jointly owned by FreyaJ, Birgit and Aurinko

NOnactivist for HoPper liberation.
1,643 posts

Posted:
 Written by: coleman

i've had a pair of harrods-branded (ubblol), grey pinstripe cone poi for a couple of years now

coolio! did you get them from harrods or did you cheat-brand them??

bring on the louis vuitton poi, poi on the catwalks, naomi campbell's next catwalk disaster when she gets poi hopelessly tangled around a 12 inch heel and stumbles head first on top of paris hilton and her minute pooch (i just threw that it because i was reading about some woman who's bred some 18cm tall dogs umm). and then, and then... Posh and Becks organising massive poi meets, around a swimming pool of an evening, and they will all have glow poi (fire being far too dirty of course), wear designer clothes and drink champagne!!! Then poi will start appearing at film premieres from Cannes to Hollywood, the must have accessory for the discerning film starlet, Julien MacDonald dress and matching sock poi! they will no longer have to say anything they just have to spin, and we will analyse every attempt at a hyperloop, and discuss it weekly in magazines such as Hello! and OK! and the Radio Times.... where their choice of tails and socks will also be hotly debated but it will all finally come down to whether or not (following naomi's unfortunate accident which wiped out the small squeeky rat pooch thing...) tails are appropriate for event where high heels are to be worn.....

that's what could happen after marie claire. But i'm bored of that fantasy world now, so that's assume it doesn't and everyone will forget about it in about a month.

biggrin

Aurinko freedom agreement reached 10th Sept 2006

if it makes no sense that's because it's NOn-sense.

BirgitBRONZE Member
4,145 posts

Posted:
Can I use my blurb for opening a poi course? Anyone volunteer their fitness club? biggrin

(G.W. Dahlquist)

poigmarmite and nutella sandwich
1,590 posts

Posted:
I've discovered poi is only for the super cool. Not for the low people in fashion like that Marie Claire magazine.

THE hop Pyro.
(with parents)
Unowned

simtaBRONZE Member
compfuzzled
1,182 posts

Posted:
 Written by: Birgit

Can I use my blurb for opening a poi course?

id like to use it ubblol

def a amazing idea, just need to brand it right lol

"the geeks have got you" - Gayle

newgabeSILVER Member
what goes around comes around. unless you're into stalls.
4,030 posts

Posted:
Well I've got the poi, can I have the high flyer job now please??

Maybe this is a spin off from Emma whatsit's evening dress turn in the Rose of Tralee ... wink

.....Can't juggle balls but I sure as hell can juggle details....

BirgitBRONZE Member
4,145 posts

Posted:
Yeah, I should put the Rose of New Zealand in my blurb. Maybe "If Emma can do it, so can you!", or, "Poi make you sexy!", or "No matter what clothes you wear, poi are the ideal way to relax and stretch those tense muscles in your lunchtime!" biggrin

I might have to consider a career in advertising ubblol

(G.W. Dahlquist)

DurbsBRONZE Member
Classically British
5,689 posts

Posted:
Nah, nothing to worry about.

Plus they're wrong of course... Poi was cool in 2003.
CJ is now the toy of choice, and I'll spank anyone who says otherwise wink

Burner of Toast
Spinner of poi
Slacker of enormous magnitude

BirgitBRONZE Member
4,145 posts

Posted:
Nah Durbs, CJ's SO 2005!

(don't hit me too hard though)

(G.W. Dahlquist)

GothFrogetteBRONZE Member
grumpy poorly froggy
3,999 posts

Posted:
 Written by: ravehead

i can just see it now, BENCH, von dutchie(sp??) and onther brand names taking to the mosh pit ubblol

its already happened frown yeah apparently Poi is a huge new craze... and i just had a thought its it was in Marie Claire then its the first time i have ever been classed as cool by main stream eek

i guess it wasn't going to be long before it happened anyway, after all we do all tend to go and spin every where and any where we can. its not too bad though think of all the explaining we won';t have to do anymore, convincing people that we are not cheer leaders etc.

Life's too short to worry about where you put your marshmallows

colemanSILVER Member
big and good and broken
7,330 posts

Posted:
 Written by: Durbs

Nah, nothing to worry about.

Plus they're wrong of course... Poi was cool in 2003.
CJ is now the toy of choice, and I'll spank anyone who says otherwise wink

except no-one actually contact juggles any more...

its all liquid this and pop that and don't forget to hold a ball while you're doing it cos then its hardcore cj too, oh yes... wink

cole. x

[disclaimer]cj diss stolen from a munky[/disclaimer]

"i see you at 'dis cafe.
they do porridge."
- tim westwood

SkulduggeryGOLD Member
Pirate Pixie Crew Captain
8,428 posts

Posted:
Does what Marie Claire or any other magazine says about poi bother you? If it does why does it bother you that all kinds of people might take up poi-ing?

To answer those questions I'm guessing you will have to examine the reasons why you poi.

If you do it because you think it makes you stand out from the crowd or because you think it makes you look cool, then yes maybe you will be bothered that any Joe Blogs is taking it up, because it will stop you standing out from the crowd and it won't be such an unusual (hmm not quite the word I wanted but its the best I could think of just now) hobby.

If it's because you make your living as a spinner you might also be bothered as it might effect your bookings if there are many more people out there that can spin. I guess it will just mean you have to come up with better shows that blow the competition out of the water.

I thought about those questions and came up with the answer that I don't really care if poi becomes/is mainstream. The more people that do it, the more people I get to meet in the park and chat to whilst spinning. The more people that I'll have something in common with to base a friendship on. The better sales people like Malcolm, Komby Guy, Gayle, Hyperlight (when he gets his product on sale) and other poi makers/sellers will have, giving them a better income.

So I say , welcome to HoP all you sharp suited people. I hope you get as much fun and friendship out of learning to poi as I have. hug

Feed me Chocolate!!! Feed me NOW!

colemanSILVER Member
big and good and broken
7,330 posts

Posted:
skully - you make the assumption that the only reasons you'd be against poi becoming 'mainstream' is either because you do poi because you think it makes you look different/cool or you are a performer worried about gigs.

neither of those apply to me yet the issue still bothers me - its *far* more complicated than you make out...

consider the implications of:

cheap, sweatshop-produced poi underselling quality bespoke manufacturers (e.g. hyperloop)

generic poi classes focused primarily around money making and teaching only the 'moves' rather than encouraging 'play' (i.e. exploration of movement with poi, self-discovery of patterns/moves, self-expression etc.)

inexperienced people deciding that they can spin fire long before they're ready and with no-one to guide them

supermarkets stocking poi and undercutting independent online and real-world shops

and for the record, i was *kidding* when i suggested selling out to swanky gyms wink

cole. x

"i see you at 'dis cafe.
they do porridge."
- tim westwood

jo_rhymesSILVER Member
Momma Bear
4,525 posts

Posted:
they were selling poi at Butlins!

Hoppers are angels who lift us to our feet when our wings have trouble remembering how to fly.

BirgitBRONZE Member
4,145 posts

Posted:
I know you were kidding, but... it's such a good idea to make money! And you COULD teach it in a fashionable yet responsible way, and make sure they buy the right toys and all smile Though I was only kidding, too, I can't see myself working for a gym ubblol

Though let's be honest, inexperienced people playing with fire is not much to do with a sellout. More with bad teachers and alcohol and drugs, and it's happening all the time! Don't think the typical Marie Claire reader will go straight for the fire, but rather for flashy sparkly things. And I'd stereotype them as slightly more careful and scared of burns than your average hippy spinner, though I may be wrong.

(G.W. Dahlquist)

Page: