Forums > Social Chat > One Lonely Fire Poi Chick:(

Login/Join to Participate

alicewonderlandBRONZE Member
Born on a green light daddy-o!!!
126 posts

Posted:
Not too be soo down but; I can't find any friends that spin fire, twirl fire, breathe fire, dance fire, nothing;the closest thing I got is a co-worker with a lighter:( I still have my training pants on though, I love love love poi with all my heart ! Without it...I wouldn't really have anything to do that makes me happy besides writing (which i usually do bored or frustrated or whatever), listening to music (which doesn't require much concentration), or playing with my lil puppy dog. Anyways my point is i have noone to share my love for the art of poi with. I actually found one person in my area from my friends myspace; I sent her a message just saying hi and i seen her spinning pics looked nice and wondered if she wanted to maybe get together sometime, she responded by saying " I don't have time to teach anyone anything, there are other people in cincinnati that spin." That kinda hurt I wasn't asking her to teach me anything ...actually i'm not that bad with them, the transition of 5 years spinning glow sticks on shoestrings at raves to my new found poi has been nice. I don't know guess I'll keep doing it by myself, while other people who don't know about the joy I get from doing this talk about how weird I am for wanting to do it. I thought that I would be able to find more people and friendly people...naive I feel. Sorry didn't mean to write a book, thanks to all that stopped by to read my moaning and complaining of my pathetic life:)

When you're already walking on thin ice...why not dance?

alien_oddityCarpal \'Tunnel
7,193 posts

Posted:
AWWWwwwww hughug2 that email you recieved back was a bit harsh

126 posts

Posted:
yeah, i think it was really discouraging ravehead, looks to me like I'll just have to move to england to find the kewl people smile

jo_rhymesSILVER Member
Momma Bear
4,525 posts

Posted:
aww, I'm sure there are lots of nice poiple where you are. hug dont give up, and in the mean time, you're guaranteed plenty of hugs here hug

Hoppers are angels who lift us to our feet when our wings have trouble remembering how to fly.

faith enfireBRONZE Member
wandering thru the woods of WI
3,556 posts

Posted:
hi
saw you sent me a message today
hi from wisconsin
too bad we aren't closer :hugs:

Faith
Nay, whatever comes one hour was sunlit and the most high gods may not make boast of any better thing than to have watched that hour as it passed

126 posts

Posted:
Thanks for all the love guys:) I really appreciate it. I'm ooppss i mean my spirits are getting higher already:) lol ...faithinfire i used to be a flight attendant for Mesaba Airlines and used to fly into wisconsin all the time in those small azz planes hahaha:) I think I really would like to make a trip to england or somewhere and meet up with some other fire spinners eventually...bettter start saving now:)

Kombi guyBRONZE Member
HOP OM
225 posts

Posted:
Hey Alice........You probably already checked but if not did ya try a search in the
meet others section in regards to finding fellow spinny types in and around your local area....It may help find some info on the local spinning scene.......

https://www.homeofpoi.com/meet_others/searchOthers.php

Happy twirling.
juggle weavesmiley juggle weavesmiley juggle

EeraBRONZE Member
old hand
1,107 posts

Posted:
You can always create your own scene. Get your poi out and have a spin in the twilight, you'll draw a few people who'll want to know more and before you know it, boof!

Have fun. The world loves a smile.

There is a slight possibility that I am not actually right all of the time.

126 posts

Posted:
Yeah I tried the search no luck:( , Yeah Eera for real that's a good point, I should deffinatley try that out:) Such a wonderful attitude and outlook you all have, you've certainly brought a smile to my face...thanks sooo much biggrin And honestly regardless of it all spinning alone or with mass people is good for me either way, atleast when I f!*# up noone else sees lol wink

FireTomStargazer
6,650 posts

Posted:
Yupp - I close shoulders: go spinning and teach others... sure enough there will be one or more popping up...

I know how you feel, sista... my hometown was the same, but now spinners come up like mushrooms... still counting... hug wink biggrin

the best smiles are the ones you lead to wink

DixieGOLD Member
old hand
740 posts

Posted:
To hell with it! Come to London! smile

Important Notice.
Can be found elsewhere.

This signiture has malfunctioned and can currently display no information. This matter will be rectified shortly.

126 posts

Posted:
London London London, last time I was there was almost 3 years ago now, man oh man I loved it there:) I went to a rave in the london bridge tunnel called raindance....lovely, and I went to a record store called access all areas are they still around? I didn't want to leave, do u think it would be hard at all to find a job there?

faith enfireBRONZE Member
wandering thru the woods of WI
3,556 posts

Posted:
Written by: alicewonderland

Thanks for all the love guys:) I really appreciate it. I'm ooppss i mean my spirits are getting higher already:) lol ...faithinfire i used to be a flight attendant for Mesaba Airlines and used to fly into wisconsin all the time in those small azz planes hahaha:) I think I really would like to make a trip to england or somewhere and meet up with some other fire spinners eventually...bettter start saving now:)

ditto for sure

Faith
Nay, whatever comes one hour was sunlit and the most high gods may not make boast of any better thing than to have watched that hour as it passed

126 posts

Posted:
what part of wisconsin r u in faithinfire? I'll be in MN this summer in the southern part closer to rochester, are there a lot of other spinners there?

KaelGotRiceGOLD Member
Basu gasu bakuhatsu - because sometimes buses explode
1,584 posts

Posted:
There's the midwest burners group on tribe, though they stick mainly to kansas and missouri of all places.

There's a few of us in chicago as well, you can always hit me up if you're in the area.

:hugs:

~Kael

To do: More Firedrums 08 video?

Wildfire/US East coast fire footage

LA/EDC glow/fire footage

Fresno fire

126 posts

Posted:
wow thank u soo much that really means a lot and I actually just might do that, it's only 4hrs from me and i have a cousin up there so free room and board:) helll yeah, yiippeee beerchug we'll have one of those to celebrate! haha

126 posts

Posted:
yeahhhhhhhhh bounce2 bounce2 weavesmiley biggrin hug bounce bounce clap grouphug hehe smile i think i just used every smiley i could to express how happy and excited i am can u believe that i not only found one person in my area the spins but a whole truop and they invited me to a fire gathering of like 30 other spinners there from New York Michigan i cant remember all of the others but it doesn't matter I am sooo excited!

DutSILVER Member
lurker
380 posts

Posted:
Written by: alicewonderland

yeahhhhhhhhh bounce2 bounce2 weavesmiley biggrin hug bounce bounce clap grouphug hehe smile i think i just used every smiley i could to express how happy and excited i am can u believe that i not only found one person in my area the spins but a whole truop and they invited me to a fire gathering of like 30 other spinners there from New York Michigan i cant remember all of the others but it doesn't matter I am sooo excited!

badassed! midwestburners.com will have the events you need. smile i know some of the ravers up there who spin actually (one in dublin, OH, several in STL and possibly Indi.), but they wouldn't be part of any groups yet (maybe someone to get started with?). let me know if you're interested and i'll send you his myspace. and if i'm ever back to cinti or c-bus this summer to perform, i'll try to remember to say something here. good luck babe. <333

NoddyToe Poking Bad Boy
2,865 posts

Posted:
Written by: Dixie

sod it!

we will come to you! biggrin

Remember.........YOU LOSE!!!

NYCNYC
9,232 posts

Posted:
You might try and find some 'Burningman' links. I got no peeps in Ohio but there've got to be some burners out there. Find the burners and you'll find the fire, find the fire and you'll find the poi.

Maybe try www.tribe.net and look for Ohio Burningman groups?

Good luck.

Well, shall we go?
Yes, let's go.
[They do not move.]

126 posts

Posted:
Written by: Noddy

Written by: Dixie

sod it!

we will come to you! biggrin

See, this is why I love london, everyone's so inviting and welcoming, I would love love love love to come back:) I wonder if they would give work to a chick like me over there lol!!! Hopefully me and my bf will really be able to come over soon, but...if you make over here let me know! I will deffinatley have to check out midwestburners, thanks sooo much. I just recently learned about Burning Man sounds amazing are you going this year...or when is it?

Stand_up_philosopherSILVER Member
15 posts

Posted:
I'm in youngstown Ohio which is about 3 hours from Cincinnati. dunno if that helps bt i'm always up to spin with another! (i'm experienceing the same thing as you on this side of ohio)

"...Life is mysterious and inherently undefineable... "

The Tea FairySILVER Member
old hand
853 posts

Posted:
Access All Areas is still there! They're lovely people, I try and drop by there now and then to see what's happening in the London underground music scene and generally have a cuppa and a chat with the guys there.

hug Just come spend lots of time on HoP, you'll never feel lonely again!

Idolized by Aurinoko

Take me disappearing through the smoke rings of my mind....

Bob Dylan

sagetreeGOLD Member
organic creation
246 posts

Posted:
go to hookahville near columbus, it's a nice music festival twice a year and i remember seeing some fire spinners there. i knew of some contact jugglers in the nati around the ludlow area (clifton)

im sure there are many people around you that play with some skill toys but it might be up to you to bring them together.

MikefromGlosSILVER Member
Hitman
985 posts

Posted:
what i did in gloucester with a little help basicly we started off with hardly anyone doing any circus stuff then me and our other leader jane put a wednesday night juggling club every week more and more people came along even people that couldnt do anything and now we have people doing everything from unicycle to poi to staff to devilstick... We only started in January and already we have our boards up all round the place have been in two festivals and the paper loads of times... Its hard work but worth it we have just started to expand into the fire nights as well which is great i run that every wednesday after the normal circus... Its quite a heavy scene here now...

Its amazing what you can achieve by posters and stuff thats how we started so stick some posters up advertising the good points i assume u dont mind teaching some people how to spin???

If you do make to england try and get to Gloucester on a wednesday we have some great jams...

Mike

he he i am mike the amazing gloscircus person who is mike.

Officaly an exception to the Poi Boys are Girls Thing

LemonkeyStalking amidst the desert, carrying an oversized scalpel...
1,019 posts

Posted:
Apparently Ohio has SHITLOADS of jugglers. Maybe you should learn to juggle instead. smile

Willy - is bad for your health...

TotalEclipseGOLD Member
120 posts

Posted:
I just spread it through my a couple of my friends, and it caught. Now there are 4 spinners + myself within 15 minutes drive from me, and it'll continue to catch I'm sure biggrin

If you are going to run a club with fire nights don't you need to be insured for every spark? Or do you run a 'no liability whatsoever' policy?

sagetreeGOLD Member
organic creation
246 posts

Posted:
well i just moved back to cincinnati and there are tons of jugglers here. we are meeting tonight at the Tangeman University Center at UC at 7:00. i am starting a diabolo / juggling / poi gathering at alt park on sundays at 3:00 (meeting by the swings). the first meet is april 1st (no this isnt a april fools joke) i have had some good feedback already and we should have at least 5 people at the 1st meet. it would be great to see you so c'mon down.

here is the website for the cincinnati juggling club:

https://groups.yahoo.com/group/clubclubhub/messages

sage