Forums > Social Discussion > Alarming changes in weather

Login/Join to Participate
Page:
roarfireSILVER Member
comfortably numb
2,676 posts

Posted:
I'm beginning to grow slightly concerned about what is happening to our world as far as weather/natural disasters/climate goes.

Starting with something not as severe:

This summer has been the hottest ever, it's alarmingly hot here. I no longer think 'what a lovely day', I'm finding it hard to cope with the heat. The other week it reached 45 degrees celcius here, other places in the state have gotten as high as 47. Generally the weather here is high 30s, but then you get the times when it gets in the 40s which is horrible, this 40+ degree weather is starting to come more often.

Is anyone else concerned about this?! With all this heat brings droughts, which means severe water restrictions and farmers losing money, animals dieing...the list goes on.

Then we move on to the more severe stuff:

In the last year or so, the world has suffered 3 (4?) hurricanes, we've had tsuami's and parts of Western Australia at the moment are suffering a cylone which is predicted to get up to category 4. I remember there was an earthquake recently somewhere (I can't remember where exactly unfortunately) Oh and not to mention the bushfires which happen here all the time...

I don't know much about this kind of stuff. Does anyone have any facts/theories about why this is happening? I just don't understand it, but all I know is that I'm a bit worried about what is going to happen next...

.All things are beautiful if we take the time to look.

_Clare_BRONZE Member
Still wiggling
5,967 posts

Posted:
I ended up at a conference last year and heard a great lecture on global warming and it's effects.

The professor disagreed with the current hype surrounding global warming, explaining that the earth has always gone through changes in temperature...

Two hundred years ago there was a severe drop (if i remember right) - if you look at a chart of the earth's temperatures over thousands of years, you'll see continual patterns of change.

The professor giving the talk explained that the real effect of global warming was in reducing the atmosphere, so scientists found it harder to analyse any damage that has been done.

To be fair, I didn't understand a lot of it (rolleyes)... but that was the gist... no doubt someone else who knows can explain it better smile

No excuse for our disgraceful disregard of the planet though...

Getting to the other side smile

Rouge DragonBRONZE Member
Insert Champagne Here
13,215 posts

Posted:
It's not necessarily global warming.

Some scientists believe that the earth is due for a major upheaval of the polar magnets, similar to what happened when gwandana land broke up.

Basically, the mangetic poles reverse, so north becomes south and south becomes north. it means massive, massive natural disasters that, well, chances are most of us won't live through.

But that's only a theory that some have and I have put into (very) laymans terms.

i would have changed ***** to phallus, and claire to petey Petey

Rougie: but that's what I'm doing here
Arnwyn: what letting me adjust myself in your room?..don't you dare quote that on HoP...

jeff(fake)Scientist of Fortune
1,189 posts

Posted:
It's true that the planet goes through cycles but greenhouse gas emmissions will also have the effect of increasing global temerture. Just because it's mimicing something natural doesn't mean it'll be good for the human race. Also there have been a lot more than four hurricanes this year. It's just a few made headline news. I think the recent weather is just a bad patch but the average will become steadily worse.

According to Heisenberg's Uncertainty Principle of Quantum Dynamics, we may already be making love right now...

onewheeldaveGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,252 posts

Posted:
Written by: Rouge Dragon

It's not necessarily global warming.

Some scientists believe that the earth is due for a major upheaval of the polar magnets, similar to what happened when gwandana land broke up.

Basically, the mangetic poles reverse, so north becomes south and south becomes north. it means massive, massive natural disasters that, well, chances are most of us won't live through.

eek

Does that mean I'll have to buy a new compass?

Or can I use the old one and simply substitute North for South, and vice-versa?

"You can't outrun Death forever.
But you can make the Bastard work for it."

--MAJOR KORGO KORGAR,
"Last of The Lancers"
AFC 32

Educate your self in the Hazards of Fire Breathing STAY SAFE!

_Clare_BRONZE Member
Still wiggling
5,967 posts

Posted:
smile

Could be bad for ships.

And planes.

People will be adrift for days.

(sorry, completely offtopic)

MedusaSILVER Member
veteran
1,433 posts

Posted:
You won't have to buy a new compass cause north will still be north it was just south previously....

Won't it?

*ish confuzzled*

DuncGOLD Member
playing the days away
7,263 posts

Posted:
Yeah I've noticed it lots....the grass now keeps growing through winter. I pruned our trees during xmas and the branches actually had new shoots on then! And they had only just lost their leaves which is about a month later than usual.

It hardly ever gets cold enough to frost anymore

And summers somehow seem alot milder than they used to. We never have blazing summers anymore, it almost seems that the UK goes through a very long spring then a very long autumn and that's about it frown

Let's relight this forum ubblove

VampyricAcidSILVER Member
veteran
1,286 posts

Posted:
we have a tree in cambridge, and half of it died (actually half, right down the middle), then decided to come alive again 6 months later, the really interesting bit, is the part that died, is 6 months behind the other half, so when one half is losing its leaves, the other had new shoots, when one half is blossoming, the other half has fruit, its pretty darn cool!! offtopic

The way i look at it, we had an ice age, this is the opposite

Proudly Owned By The BMVC

Are You Sniffing My Mitten?

RovoGOLD Member
(the person actually known as Chris Bailey)
544 posts

Posted:
Normally it is really really cold in January here but it has been raining the last 4 days. Not freezing rain either. Good ol downpours. It's been so uncommonly warm here all the squirrels have come out of hibernation thinking its spring. Normally you wouldn't even see a sign of squirrels till March. I don't know if it's global warming or what but I know the earth is going through a change.

Peace, Love, Circles

KyrianDreamer
4,308 posts

Posted:
The weather here has been weird... but I'm new to the city. Maybe its always warm in january/??!

Possibly was saying catagory 4 hurricanes... There's been more than 3 of those tho.

And the atlantic storm record was beat by FOUR this year, from the previous record.

Also (wish i was un-lazy enough to find the link) we've had polar bears drowning.

It is following a natural pattern, just going loads higher than it ever did before dropping into an ice age previously, per our temperature over time graphs.....

Keep your dream alive
Dreamin is still how the strong survive

Shalom VeAhavah

New Hampshire has a point....

_Clare_BRONZE Member
Still wiggling
5,967 posts

Posted:
And has anyone else noticed birds up all night?

Or is that just round here?

We're getting birdsong right through the night.

Probably not weather related though

DuncGOLD Member
playing the days away
7,263 posts

Posted:
Yes birds singing all night long! It's really weird. The other night Edan was awake and just wouldn't sleep, so at 2:30am I took him out for a walk in his pram cuz that usually sends him off. All the birds were tweeting away like it was daytime!

My Mom is poorly and doesn't sleep much, she says they've been singing at night all winter, and came up with a very good point that they should be resting, how will they have enough energy for the day if they're awake all night?? Or is it that it's warmer so they haven't flown south for winter??

It's quite worrying.....I wonder what sort of world my son will know when he's all grown up?!

Suibomaddict
577 posts

Posted:
Don't worry, it all ends in 6 years :P

Definition of poi- A Hawaiian food made from the tuber of the taro that is cooked, pounded to a paste, and fermented.

Ahnold discussing poi - "It is naht a toober!"

KyrianDreamer
4,308 posts

Posted:
5, now? isn't it? the mayan thing?

Keep your dream alive
Dreamin is still how the strong survive

Shalom VeAhavah

New Hampshire has a point....

Suibomaddict
577 posts

Posted:
Dec. 2012 I believe

Definition of poi- A Hawaiian food made from the tuber of the taro that is cooked, pounded to a paste, and fermented.

Ahnold discussing poi - "It is naht a toober!"

DuncGOLD Member
playing the days away
7,263 posts

Posted:
What ends? The WORLD?!?! EEP! eek

DominoSILVER Member
UnNatural Scientist - Currently working on a Breville-legged monkey
757 posts

Posted:
Apocolyps from now on...

The world is always ending. Should have ended at least 10 in the last 100 years from different proficees and visions of the end the the millennium bug and global warming/new ice age...

Give me a lever long enough and a place to stand and I can beat the world into submission.

fNiGOLD Member
master of disaster
3,354 posts

Posted:
I think it was in SIERRA magazine, where they showed pictures from the past and present.

i.e. glacial movement pictures from 1900 and then 2000

it was really quite something to see that in every case the ice had retreated almost completely

@OWD North will still be North, but no magnetic compass will point that way

Okay folks, back to navigation by star charts! wink

kyrian: I've felt your finger connect with me many times
lou kitten: sneaky little meatball..
ezz: please corrupt me more

SethisBRONZE Member
Pooh-Bah
1,762 posts

Posted:
Global Warming is going to wipe us off the planet, well, about 5.8 billion of us anyway.

A piece of research got published a few days ago that says it's too late to stop Global Warming already, we're past the point of no return. I don't know who did it or what it specifically said though, didn't see the news that day.

In the newspaper today there was an article about the phytoplankton in the ocean dying if the oceans get too hot (which they are steadily doing) these plankton fix carbon dioxide, removing it from our atmosphere. If they start dying then there will be a positive feedback loop which means more and more of them will die, leaving more and more carbon dioxide in the atmosphere meaning the temperature keeps rising.

And I've noticed the birds singing when I'm walking back to my room at about 3-4am. It's very very weird.

After much consideration, I find that the view is worth the asphyxiation.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I may disagree with what you have to say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it.

simian110% MONKEY EVERY TIME ALL THE TIME JUST CANT STOP THE MONKEY
3,149 posts

Posted:
Written by: FurryPurple

And has anyone else noticed birds up all night?

Yup. i thought i was just living near some random bird insomniacs.

perhaps they're plotting something umm

"Switching between different kinds of chuu chuu sometimes gives this "urgh wtf?" effect because it's giving people the phi phenomenon."

Patriarch917SILVER Member
I make my own people.
607 posts

Posted:
The average temperature rose about 50 degrees from the Ice Age. Don't overhype based on your weather observations. What we are experiencing is nothing compared to the last few thousand years.

GeoffonTour04SILVER Member
enthusiast
360 posts

Posted:
I was told it was gonna be a real savage winter with loads of ice & like -18degreesC & stuff, but it's been quite nice so far. I also noticed those insomniac birds, they're up literally from 1am onwards tweeting like mad, thought it was just near me. I saw a goose flying south earlier on today, I think he overslept tongue
The global warming thing is hotly debated as there are things like the sun, and the 10,000 year cycle or whatever where the earth just heats up & cools down, but pumping our atmosphere full of chemicals can't be a good idea anyway.

more info and here for a less gloomy outlook smile

DuncGOLD Member
playing the days away
7,263 posts

Posted:
I'v googled the birds singing at night thing. It seems most attribute it to a few mating calls and a few thinking that street lights are actually dawn, but I think that's horse sh*t. Why has it started all of a sudden while street lights have been around for years! It has to be environmental, either they're losing it cuz of the ever shifting weather patterns or it different species of birds who aren't normally here singing at this time of year.....

StoneGOLD Member
Stream Entrant
2,829 posts

Posted:
Roar, I think it is important to be concerned about global warming. As well as extreme temps, like it was minus 50 oC in Siberia yesterday. It’s like you say, there has certainly been a shift weather patterns like the long (10-15 year) drought in country Victoria. In the Wimmera, all the lakes dried up years ago and water storages have been below 10% for a number of years now.

I think these changes have been brought about by increases in greenhouse gases emissions, and the few scientists that deny the obvious have their head stuck in ulterior motives. There is certainly no denying the glasshouse effect, and the planet is warming.

If we as members of the human race practice meditation, we can transcend our fear, despair, and forgetfulness. Meditation is not an escape. It is the courage to look at reality with mindfulness and concentration. Thich Nhat Hanh

OrangeBoboSILVER Member
veteran
1,389 posts

Posted:
Read "State of Fear" by Michael Crichton. It gives some very interesting points of view, and makes you think abit more about what might be happening. The point the book tried to make, is that nature and weather is something so unmeasurable that we really have an extremely small chance of figuring out what really will happen. Humans haven't been on the planet long enough...

Anyways, the book also has some interesting stuff about the media and it's influence, and it's all action, fast-paced, and reads like a movie. I liked it ^_^

~ Bobo

wie weit, wie weit noch?
fragst mich, wo wir gewesen sind...
du fehlst hier

NYCNYC
9,232 posts

Posted:
Written by: FurryPurple

I ended up at a conference last year and heard a great lecture on global warming and it's effects.

The professor disagreed with the current hype surrounding global warming, explaining that the earth has always gone through changes in temperature...

This seems to be what most people that actually know what they're talking about are saying.

Well, shall we go?
Yes, let's go.
[They do not move.]

EeraBRONZE Member
old hand
1,107 posts

Posted:
So far there's been an Earth covered completely in glaciers from poles to equator tonumerous occasions of being completly ice-free. Sea levels 70m higher than present and 100m lower. Global temperatures 30C higher and 30C lower, oxygen levels varying from zero to 35%. Tropical ferns growing at the poles to polar bears wandering around Sussex.

The Earth is a dynamic sytem. It changes.

In all truthfulness, no-one has any real idea about what causes climate change. I've seen papers presenting every hypothesis from an increase in constuctive plate volcanism through to increased biological methane (farting dinosaurs).

While we have an obligation to keep our planet as pollution free as is practicable in order that we don't ruin our surrounds and make it a nasty place to live, we cannot shoulder the blame for every atmospheric blip and shudder.

There is a slight possibility that I am not actually right all of the time.

onewheeldaveGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,252 posts

Posted:
Written by: Eera

So far there's been an Earth covered completely in glaciers from poles to equator tonumerous occasions of being completly ice-free. Sea levels 70m higher than present and 100m lower. Global temperatures 30C higher and 30C lower, oxygen levels varying from zero to 35%.

That's on a pretty long time scale though- the 'zero oxygen levels' being prior to the origin of plant life.

It would be interesting to list the variations in sea levels and temperatures during the period since, say, animal life has existed.

While many scientists say that the current changes are just normal climate variations, many others say that it's actually down to the activities of humanity (and present theories as to how the change may be being brought about).

Clearly human actions can affect the atmosphere- look at the 'smogs' of London caused by industrial emmisions and home use of coal- when legislation was brought in to limit use of those fuels, the smog ceased.

"You can't outrun Death forever.
But you can make the Bastard work for it."

--MAJOR KORGO KORGAR,
"Last of The Lancers"
AFC 32

Educate your self in the Hazards of Fire Breathing STAY SAFE!

NYCNYC
9,232 posts

Posted:
Bah... "polution" is just liberal propeganda invented to hurt big business.

wink

Well, shall we go?
Yes, let's go.
[They do not move.]

StoneGOLD Member
Stream Entrant
2,829 posts

Posted:
Disagree NYC, I would suggest most people that actually know what they're talking about, are concerned about global warming. Especially people that live out side the air conditioned environment of big cities. And I don’t know anyone that disputes the greenhouse effect.

Fluctuations is just a form of procrastination, and what does big business say ? Insurers sweat over global warming

If we as members of the human race practice meditation, we can transcend our fear, despair, and forgetfulness. Meditation is not an escape. It is the courage to look at reality with mindfulness and concentration. Thich Nhat Hanh

Page: