Forums > Social Discussion > what the #$%* is going on in australia?

Login/Join to Participate
Page:
Konstilovable smart-ass
785 posts

Posted:
Racial tensions spark Sydney beach violence

Sun Dec 11, 2005 1:20 PM ET

By Michael Perry

SYDNEY (Reuters) - Racial tension erupted into violence on a Sydney beach on Sunday when around 5,000 people, some yelling racist chants, attacked youths of a Middle Eastern background, saying they were defending their stretch of beach.

Thousands of local surfers and beachgoers gathered at Cronulla Beach after two young lifesavers were attacked last Sunday by a group of young men from Sydney's western suburbs.

Drunken youths chased and attacked Australians of Middle East appearance at the beach in Sydney's south, sending some cowering into shops and hotels for safety, as riot police and dog squads tried to stop the violence.

By Sunday night, violence had spread to a second beach, Maroubra, where men armed with baseball bats smashed cars. Police said a man was stabbed in the back in south Sydney in what media reports said appeared to be further racial violence.

As the crowd moved along the beach and foreshore, one man on the back of a truck shouted: "No more Lebs (Lebanese)" -- a chant picked up by the group around him. Others carried Australian flags and dressed in Australian sports shirts.

"This is Australia, if they don't like it they can go home," local resident Allan told reporters as he watched the violence.

Police arrested 12 people for offensive behavior and assault and blocked roads into Cronulla Beach, which was littered with broken beer bottles.

"The behavior that has been seen down here at Cronulla today is nothing short of disgusting and disgraceful. It is certainly not the Australian way," said Police Assistant Commissioner Mark Goodwin. He said some of those attacked were of Arabic background but had been born in Australia.

Cronulla resident Tertia Harry wept as she watched the violence. "I would expect scenes like this in South Africa but not here," she told reporters. "In 2005, there should not be this disgusting display of racism."

VIGILANTES

Cronulla Beach was the scene of an attack on two lifeguards last week and a brawl later in the week in which youths turned on a media crew.

Following the attacks on the volunteer lifesavers, a mobile telephone text campaign started, calling on Cronulla locals to rally this Sunday to protect their beach.

In response, a text campaign urged youths from western Sydney to be at Cronulla this Sunday to protect their mates.

All week police and politicians have been calling for calm.

Sydney's Islamic community blamed the violence at Cronulla Beach on "racist and irresponsible" sections of the media which turned a common youth issue into an issue of ethnicity.

"Innocent people have been bashed as a result of this simmering racial hatred," said Kaysar Trad, president of the Islamic Friendship Association of Australia.

link

frown this makes me angry and sad frown

"is optimism in austria just a lack of information?"
-Alfred Dorfer

JayKittyGOLD Member
Mission: Ignition
534 posts

Posted:
I never knew anything like that was going on in Australia, I'm sorry to hear that. I'm on the other side of the globe though. No one deserves to be treated like that.

Don't mind me, just passing through.

Zauberdachsenthusiast
220 posts

Posted:
jeez, not an image I'd ever had of Australia. Though I did watch Romper-stomper so should know better...

The insults of your enemy are a tribute to your bravery wink

PyrolificBRONZE Member
Returning to a unique state of Equilibrium
3,289 posts

Posted:
Dont blame the whole of the Australian people for the behaviour of a vocal few. We arent all racist.

--
Help! My personality got stuck in this signature machine and I cant get it out!

Zauberdachsenthusiast
220 posts

Posted:
Good to hear smile

The insults of your enemy are a tribute to your bravery wink

SethisBRONZE Member
Pooh-Bah
1,762 posts

Posted:
I don't think anyone on HoP would think that, in the same way we don't think all British like tea, and all Americans aren't dumb. biggrin

Still bad to hear though. 5000 people is a LOT to be chanting openly racist abuse... frown

After much consideration, I find that the view is worth the asphyxiation.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I may disagree with what you have to say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it.

flash fireBRONZE Member
Sporadically Prodigal
2,758 posts

Posted:
I'm sitting here at work, a mere 20kms or so from where all this stuff is happening, and was at a large gathering yesterday. Not one single person I have spoken to in the last 48 hours thinks that this sort of behaviour is acceptable.

The racial tension in these areas has been simmering for years. It simply highlights some major social failings that we have allowed to develop. Also, a lack of infrastructure and social responsibility causes a lot of kids in those areas to be very bored. What better way to entertain yourself than perpetuate angst, gang rivalry and violence? Time flies when you're having fun.

Anyway, I'm appalled by the entire debacle.

HoP Posting Guidelines
Is it the Truth?
Is it Fair to all concerned?
Will it build Goodwill and Better Friendships?
Will it be Beneficial to all concerned?
If you can answer YES to these 4 questions then you may post a reply.

DuncGOLD Member
playing the days away
7,263 posts

Posted:
Written by:

"This is Australia, if they don't like it they can go home," local resident Allan told reporters as he watched the violence.

ubblol Oh the naive irony rolleyes

Let's relight this forum ubblove

jeffhighGOLD Member
89 posts

Posted:
I grew up in the Sutherland Shire and Cronulla Beach was my local. I have not been back for about 20 years though.
I do not in any way condone the behaviour of those who gathered on the weekend, it is disgusting.
Obviously a percentage of the reported 5000 people involved would be hardcore racist, some would be locals who think they have a claim on the beach, and some would be protesting against intimidation they had experienced from the gangs.
Overall Australians are a pretty diverse and tolerant people, and after living here for 40 years, I am about to become a citizen.
Jeff

SebPenguin of Mass Destruction and Tricky Bugger to the court of Claire the Askew
643 posts

Posted:
Flipping hell! This is the first I'd heard of this s#it, what idiots must be congregating on the mainland. I wonder what proportion of people in the Cronulla Beach area aren't being awful racist buggers.

Chucks nuns
Property of mynci and blu_valley, and proud of it.

StoneGOLD Member
Stream Entrant
2,829 posts

Posted:
There was another mob attack in Broadmeadows, Melb. a few weeks ago, following the arrests of “suspected” terrorists.

Unfortunately, I can’t help thinking that these attacks are a direct reflection of the leadership shown by Howard Government’s attitude of racial intolerance. As exemplified by the Governments invasion of Iraq, concentration camps, and hastily prepared “terror” laws”.

So, the question is why wouldn't the people who voted him in, not follow Howard's lead on racial intolerance?

frown

If we as members of the human race practice meditation, we can transcend our fear, despair, and forgetfulness. Meditation is not an escape. It is the courage to look at reality with mindfulness and concentration. Thich Nhat Hanh

FireTomStargazer
6,650 posts

Posted:
"This is Australia, if they don't like it they can go home," local resident Allan told reporters as he watched the violence....

---LOL--- ubbloco

(small remark: it was lately around 1974 that the Aboriginal population of Australia rised from animals, gaining the status of a actual human being... -- how generous -- in the 70s...

and I know that many of them don't like Australia as it is today - where are they supposed to go?) ubbloco rolleyes ubbloco

Travelled and lived in Australia for about 1,5 years I can certainly agree on the point that not ALL Autralians are like that... beerchug

... but I find it always amazing that there are crowds of thousands of thugs being able to do as they wish with no public resistance forming (at least not reportedly)... This is when we NEED police... spank

... to me this is the most saddening of it all. ubbcrying

...and IF all this is NOT the view of the majority of the majority of the Australian people - how comes then that a guy like Howard is still in office - for all these years? (Same applies to the US by the way)... frown umm

He has long proven and shown his views upon other ethnic parts of Australia straight into the face of the public many times before. Denial of the "stolen generation" was just one out of many! angry

I guess every "great country of the West" needs it's "little Hitler" so you all may understand better what happened in our country back then. Most of us have to recognise ourselves as "helpless", before we get up and rise like (for say) the "White Rose"... peace angel

BECAUSE WE CAN DO SOMETHING EVERY DAY TO SHOW THAT WE CAN ALL LIVE TOGETHER. hug grouphug hug2
EDITED_BY: FireTom (1134353939)

the best smiles are the ones you lead to wink

JauntyJamesSILVER Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,533 posts

Posted:
Give 'em a big kiss, that'll teach 'em.

-James

"How do you know if you're happy or sad without a mask? Or angry? Or ready for dessert?"

Rouge DragonBRONZE Member
Insert Champagne Here
13,215 posts

Posted:
I was at work last night when the people I worked with looked at something on the TV that made them worried (most of the people I work with are immigrants or with non-british backgrounds) but I didn't realise what it was until Konsti messaged me asking me about it. I went on the internet and checked it out.
It really makes me sick. I knew there were the odd people who were just pricks, and while I know it is still the odd morons, I never knew they were *smart* enough for organisation.

But I don't necessarily think that Johhny H is behind it. I think these morons would exist under even a Green government.

i would have changed ***** to phallus, and claire to petey Petey

Rougie: but that's what I'm doing here
Arnwyn: what letting me adjust myself in your room?..don't you dare quote that on HoP...

roarfireSILVER Member
comfortably numb
2,676 posts

Posted:
I'm so digusted with this behaviour. It makes me so sad frown

It kind of reminds me of something a friend said to me once. It's kind of morbid but he said 'It won't be a natural disaster that will kill humanity, it will be humanity'

It's sort of true in some sense...

.All things are beautiful if we take the time to look.

jc_firetricksBRONZE Member
enthusiast
205 posts

Posted:
It is very sad indeed.

DentrassiGOLD Member
ZORT!
3,045 posts

Posted:
its kindof freaky to see video footage of this so close. this tension has been simmering away for a while. the scariest footage was seeing one women punching and grappling with another woman of darker skin curled up on the ground as police tried to intervene.

beating up two volunteer lifesavers is unacceptable - just as is getting drunk and chasing any person of middle-eastern appearnce down the street and beating them up - just as is getting 100 of your mates in cars to go and beat up random residents & cars in retaliation.

It seems that as usual most of the problem is caused by a small group of people on both sides who are just looking for a fight.

The media certainly isnt helping - continously refering to the lifesavers being beaten up by a gang of middle eastern youths - then even broadcasting text messages circulating around from both sides promoting more violence. good one f&ckin channel 10. you just saved a whole bunch of text messaging by broadcastings fight plans to the country. Now the gangs of middle eastern youths all know revenge is planned for the 18th, and the so called 'vigilanties' will be back in force on the that day to guard their turf.

idiots.

racism is australia has always been a touch subject. We have a relatively high migrant population (from memory 25% are born overseas). We are a very multicultural society - but that multiculturalism isnt integrated. particularly in Sydney which is quite segmented.

On one hand we have we have criminal trials of a small gang of middle eastern youths for appallng gang rape crimes at the top of the news, fear of terrorists - with men of muslim faith in two terrorost attacks across the river in bali, a large quanity of bomb making chemicals allegedly found in houses in sydney and melbourne.

And now beating up 2 teenage lifesavers - one of our cherished icons of Volunteerism is Australia. Is it any surprise with media exaggerating this incidents that resentment has boiled over?

Alas - all this leads to is blatant stereotyping of an entire community. the peaceful face of most middle eastern immigrants in Australia - who appreciate our country and the opportunities is has - is replaced by the feared stereotype of a baseball bat wielding young lebanese male who wants nothing more that to smash up you and your car.

From the other side - immigartion & detention centers, the Iraq saga, and a government who's anti terror laws have potentially scary consequences for general free speech and detaining of suspects without charge, which much of the muslim community fear will target them.

Im not surprised that many young middle eastern men are angry.

One woman on TV with an immpressive scar on her forhead went out to check what the noise was, to be confronted by a man with baseball bat who said "its my country too" who then whacked her across the head.

This behaviour is equally inexcusable as the so called 'vigilanties.'.

what is the solution? can the community leader calm things down? I certiainly have more faith in the muslim leaders calming down there followers and familys than politicians calming down an assorted collection of surfers and rascists.

Its frustating. So many people I meet in this country are completely lovely.

EDITED_BY: Dentrassi (1134395383)

"Here kitty kitty...." - Schroedinger.

HAcidSILVER Member
4 posts

Posted:
oh crap, i guess no matter where you go you find this kind of ill treatment towards other human beings, be it instituional or public, it just makes me sad, i live in the uk where things are admittingly on a slippery slope, i hope eventually to found a comune in the form of a farm somewhere is australia where travellers etc can stay and help maintain the land and build on it. lets hope all goes well smile

take care everyone and remember it is the responsability for those who have to ability to stop evil to do so, not just hide from hit smile

"If we could sniff or swallow something that would, for five or six hours each day, abolish our solitude as individuals, atone us with our fellows in a glowing exaltation of affection and make life in all its aspects seem not only worth living, but divinely beautiful and significant, and if this heavenly, world-transfiguring drug were of such a kind that we could wake up next morning with a clear head and an undamaged constitution-then, it seems to me, all our problems (and not merely the one small problem of discovering a novel pleasure) would be wholly solved and earth would become paradise." (about Mescaline) ALDOUS HUXLEY

StoneGOLD Member
Stream Entrant
2,829 posts

Posted:
Perhaps Rouge, but what I meant was Howard, Bush etc are certainly not leading their communities, or the world community towards racial tolerance, unity or peace. No, quite the opposite. So, for me it’s not surprising that theses riots started when the “terror laws” were introduced. Hey, and don't scratch too deep or you might find The White Australia policy.

As for the media, the little paper (Herald/Sun in Melb.) said yesterday that the riots were started by neo-Nazis. Anything for a story.

If we as members of the human race practice meditation, we can transcend our fear, despair, and forgetfulness. Meditation is not an escape. It is the courage to look at reality with mindfulness and concentration. Thich Nhat Hanh

RustoBRONZE Member
47 posts

Posted:
I don't watch TV these days, so did not know about Cronulla until the next day, very sad indeed. Sad for both sides of the coin. Ok there was agro between two groups, who cares what they look like or where they come from, it would be interesting to know how many media people where floating around at the time (just happened to be in the neighbourhood), they had been running stories all week in the lead up to Sunday's events, in other words forecasting.
I believe the violence did not kick off until late in the day, as it took awhile to consume enough booze.
They should have shut all the mad2 pubs in the area
and pissed the media of.
Want a riot, highlight the tension, throw in some beer, sprinkle with police and cameras, allow to simmer and bingo.

shrug

Crime does not pay ... as well as politics.
A bowl of soup with some one you love is better than steak with some one you hate. Proverbs 15, 17

DentrassiGOLD Member
ZORT!
3,045 posts

Posted:
Speaking of Media.....

BY THURSDAY last week Alan Jones was screaming like a race caller whose horse was coming home. "I'm the person that's led this charge here. Nobody wanted to know about North Cronulla, now it's gathered to this."

The riot was still three days away and Sydney's highest-rating breakfast radio host had a heap of anonymous emails to whip his 2GB listeners along. "Alan, it's not just a few Middle Eastern bastards at the weekend, it's thousands. Cronulla is a very long beach and it's been taken over by this scum. It's not a few causing trouble. It's all of them."

Sunday's trouble did not come out of the blue. It was brewing all week on talkback radio — particularly on 2GB.

Radio doesn't get much grimmer than Alan Jones' efforts in the days before the Cronulla riot. He was dead keen for a demo at the beach — "a rally, a street march, call it what you will. A community show of force."

He assured his huge audience he "understood" why that famous text message went out and he read it right through again on air. "Come to Cronulla this weekend to take revenge. This Sunday every Aussie in the Shire get down to North Cronulla to support the Leb and wog bashing day …"

Daily he cautioned his listeners not to take the law into their own hands, but he warmed to listeners who had exactly that on their minds.

Last Thursday Charlie rang to suggest all junior footballers in the Shire gather on the beach to support the lifesavers. "Good stuff, good stuff," said Jones.

"I tell you who we want to encourage, Charlie, all the Pacific Island people because, you want to know something, they don't take any nonsense. They are proud to be here — all those Samoans and Fijians. They love being here. And they say, 'Uh huh, uh huh. You step out of line, look out.' And, of course, cowards always run, don't they?"

When John called on Tuesday to bluntly recommend vigilante action — "If the police can't do the job, the next tier is us" — Jones did not dissent. "Yeh. Good on you, John." And when he then offered a maxim his father had picked up during the war — "Shoot one, the rest will run" — the broadcaster roared with laughter. "No, you don't play Queensberry's rules. Good on you, John."

It was horrible stuff, larded with self-congratulation. And pity poor Berta — "not of a Middle Eastern family" — who tried to argue there were two sides to this story. When she reported hearing "really derogatory remarks" aimed at Middle Eastern people on Cronulla beach, Jones cut her off: "Let's not get too carried away, Berta. We don't have Anglo-Saxon kids out there raping women in western Sydney."

Yesterday, 2GB broadcasters claimed two-thirds of calls coming into the station supported "what happened" at Cronulla on Sunday. But Alan Jones is not around to deal with the aftermath. He's having a well-earned holiday.

What an idiot angry

"Here kitty kitty...." - Schroedinger.

flash fireBRONZE Member
Sporadically Prodigal
2,758 posts

Posted:
Written by: Dentrassi

Speaking of Media.....

From the Sydney Morning Herald:

BY THURSDAY last week Alan Jones was screaming like a race caller whose horse was coming home. "I'm the person that's led this charge here. Nobody wanted to know about North Cronulla, now it's gathered to this."

The riot was still three days away and Sydney's highest-rating breakfast radio host had a heap of anonymous emails to whip his 2GB listeners along. "Alan, it's not just a few Middle Eastern bastards at the weekend, it's thousands. Cronulla is a very long beach and it's been taken over by this scum. It's not a few causing trouble. It's all of them."

Sunday's trouble did not come out of the blue. It was brewing all week on talkback radio — particularly on 2GB.

Radio doesn't get much grimmer than Alan Jones' efforts in the days before the Cronulla riot. He was dead keen for a demo at the beach — "a rally, a street march, call it what you will. A community show of force."

He assured his huge audience he "understood" why that famous text message went out and he read it right through again on air. "Come to Cronulla this weekend to take revenge. This Sunday every Aussie in the Shire get down to North Cronulla to support the Leb and wog bashing day …"

Daily he cautioned his listeners not to take the law into their own hands, but he warmed to listeners who had exactly that on their minds.

Last Thursday Charlie rang to suggest all junior footballers in the Shire gather on the beach to support the lifesavers. "Good stuff, good stuff," said Jones.

"I tell you who we want to encourage, Charlie, all the Pacific Island people because, you want to know something, they don't take any nonsense. They are proud to be here — all those Samoans and Fijians. They love being here. And they say, 'Uh huh, uh huh. You step out of line, look out.' And, of course, cowards always run, don't they?"

When John called on Tuesday to bluntly recommend vigilante action — "If the police can't do the job, the next tier is us" — Jones did not dissent. "Yeh. Good on you, John." And when he then offered a maxim his father had picked up during the war — "Shoot one, the rest will run" — the broadcaster roared with laughter. "No, you don't play Queensberry's rules. Good on you, John."

It was horrible stuff, larded with self-congratulation. And pity poor Berta — "not of a Middle Eastern family" — who tried to argue there were two sides to this story. When she reported hearing "really derogatory remarks" aimed at Middle Eastern people on Cronulla beach, Jones cut her off: "Let's not get too carried away, Berta. We don't have Anglo-Saxon kids out there raping women in western Sydney."

Yesterday, 2GB broadcasters claimed two-thirds of calls coming into the station supported "what happened" at Cronulla on Sunday. But Alan Jones is not around to deal with the aftermath. He's having a well-earned holiday.

What an idiot angry

What an insult to intelligence! The flippant push-off I have bolded below is so, so wrong!

Google Anita Cobby - the first thing that comes up https://www.thecrimeweb.com/murder_of_anita_cobby.htm
clearly shows us that Anglo boys do in fact gang rape Anglo girls in western sydney.

HoP Posting Guidelines
Is it the Truth?
Is it Fair to all concerned?
Will it build Goodwill and Better Friendships?
Will it be Beneficial to all concerned?
If you can answer YES to these 4 questions then you may post a reply.

NYCNYC
9,232 posts

Posted:
Written by: Pyrolific

Dont blame the whole of the Australian people for the behaviour of a vocal few. We arent all racist.

Sorry dude, if something bad happens in a country or is done by their government, it becomes the fault of everyone born in that country. That's HoP rules. Do a search. wink

Well, shall we go?
Yes, let's go.
[They do not move.]

SethisBRONZE Member
Pooh-Bah
1,762 posts

Posted:
Written by: NYC

Sorry dude, if something bad happens in a country or is done by their government, it becomes the fault of everyone born in that country.

No no no. LIVES in that country... not born in it. And if you were born somewhere and live somewhere else then you're up the creek well and proper, cos then you're responsible for both places! eek ubbrollsmile ubblol

After much consideration, I find that the view is worth the asphyxiation.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I may disagree with what you have to say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it.

RovoGOLD Member
(the person actually known as Chris Bailey)
544 posts

Posted:
The Anita Cobby story is awful. I don't understand how people can be so cruel. Reading that turned my stomach a little.

Peace, Love, Circles

StoneGOLD Member
Stream Entrant
2,829 posts

Posted:
Thanks for that Dentrassi, now I can try to explain to my middle eastern friend what’s been going on. He was thinking of leaving.

Though now I’m thinking, rightly or wrongly, Alan Jones, the George Bush of Australian radio, thank heavens he never made it into politics. Get these people off the air and out of politics.

PyrolificBRONZE Member
Returning to a unique state of Equilibrium
3,289 posts

Posted:
In my first post I so nearly wrote something like "Just like you cant blame all americans for the faults of a few" but I edited it out smile

Some areas of Australia *are* more racist than others.

just like the North of the States seem more liberal than the south.

frown

anyone seem Goodnight and Good Luck yet? top film depicting the clash between US newsreader Morrow with a strong pro-human rights perspective and Mcarthy (strong facist, machiavellian pespective) during the late 50's communist witch hunts. I can highly recommend it. We got free tickets to it last Monday (yay smile)

--
Help! My personality got stuck in this signature machine and I cant get it out!

Rouge DragonBRONZE Member
Insert Champagne Here
13,215 posts

Posted:
Trust talk-back radio to screw things up as usual. I remember when there was a hold up on the Westgate Bridge in Melbourne cos a mentally ill guy had a gun and talkback radio was all "just shoot the b#stard"...and the "b#stard" was listening to every word.

i would have changed ***** to phallus, and claire to petey Petey

Rougie: but that's what I'm doing here
Arnwyn: what letting me adjust myself in your room?..don't you dare quote that on HoP...

newgabeSILVER Member
what goes around comes around. unless you're into stalls.
4,030 posts

Posted:
Even we, who live 1000kms from Sydney and who do not support this racist filth in any way have been receiving emails rallying 'us' as 'sons and daughters of Anzacs' to 'defend ourselves'.

How well organised is this if vast email lists have been gathered and used to disseminate this appalling business? This is probably not just a few thugs.

Dentrassi is right in linking this with our new 'anti'-terror laws. What is happeneing in Australia is a lot more serious than 'boys being drunken boys' on the beaches and streets. The most terrifying thing I can think of at the moment is our vile governernment's newfound capacity for 'administrative detention' without charge, notice to family or redress. We already have orange boilersuited 'suspects' shackled and moved without notice from gaol to goal throughout the country. Welcome to the disappeared. Welcome to well timed distractions from the real deal, the disappearance of our civil liberties. Welcome to the fear that breeds fascism.

I am afraid.

.....Can't juggle balls but I sure as hell can juggle details....

NYCNYC
9,232 posts

Posted:
Written by: Pyrolific

In my first post I so nearly wrote something like "Just like you cant blame all americans for the faults of a few" but I edited it out smile

Glad you edited it out. That would have been a huge faux pas here. wink wink

Well, shall we go?
Yes, let's go.
[They do not move.]

newgabeSILVER Member
what goes around comes around. unless you're into stalls.
4,030 posts

Posted:
Written by: Stone

Alan Jones, the George Bush of Australian radio, thank heavens he never made it into politics. Get these people off the air and out of politics.

Alan Jones is far more dangerous on the radio than he ever could be in politics.

.....Can't juggle balls but I sure as hell can juggle details....

Page: