Meanwhile, I'd say I'm a better juggler Jason Garfield wink

ah wah wah wah a wah wah

pre1236member
33 posts

Posted:
Written by: Mint Sauce

sorry this is going to be a bit offtopic

Written by: pre

He was one of the greatest and certaintly the most influencial distance runner of the 20th century

He was by far the gutsiest runner of track and field

humm frown I think I have to disagree with you hear having been into athletics since quite early on in school life and even achieving some high standards as an “inter boy†I have a bit of an interest in athletics and so forth.

Steve Prefontaine may have held many American records (a record number of American records lol) he was certainly not

“one of the greatest and certainly the most influential distance runner of the 20th centuryâ€

just simply a very good runner in America.

He held no world records to my knowledge and was only held in such high regard by Americans he was not a dominating force on the athletic scene of the time. Just a bit of a jack of all trades. wink

One of the only reasons he is remembers so fondly is because he died frown so young if he had continued to run he would have faded into obscurity with so many other talented runners.

Sorry people I know this is all off topic but this kind of hero worship kind of annoys me frown.

Just to elaborate on my point ubbidea

Frankie Fredericks is a top class runner by all standards he has competed in the Olympic and world championships numerous times. He also holds the records for the 60m, 100m , 200m, 400m, and 800m for his country (Namibia).

Yes he is a top athlete bun no he is not one of the most influential athletes of the 20th century.

Back to the juggling chatter of who is better than who??
biggrin

have you ever seen steve prefontaine run a race? Just watch him the determination in his eyes when he rounds that last lap. everyone wonders why someone plays a particular sport juggles,poi's spins a staff. Its a way for them to express themselves diferently than anyone else. your runner frankie fredricks only ran up to the 800m not very far at all how did his VO2 max compare to "Pre's" See steve prefontaine has the highest VO2 max ever recorded by an american runner of 84.4 whats your buddy frankies? Its not about setting records Its about style I have noever heard of this frankie fredricks until today but I am almost 100% sure you've previously heard of steve prefontaine.

Mint SauceBRONZE Member
veteran
1,453 posts

Posted:
sorry again this is going to be a bit offtopic but I feel I have to reply.

First off yes I have seen him run and to be honest with you he was not that impressive!!

I was using Frankie Fredericks as an example of being the best in your country doesn’t make you great, it just makes you good in your country (even though Frankie Fredericks is an outstanding athlete nevertheless)

But if you are going to go on one about inspirational runners and since you have never herd of Frankie Fredericks you don’t know your athletics that well.

You should have herd of Haile Gebre Selassie (from Ethiopia)

He is regarded universally as the greatest distance runner of all times by most people. Breaking numerous word and championship records throughout his career.

And you talk about determination and grit then just take a look at Hicham El Guerrouj run he was an inspiration you will never see determination to be the best more on any one else’s face.

he wasn’t just out to beat every one else he was out to be the best ever and he was. just check out his world record breaking run back in 1999 in the 3000m it is an awe inspiring run

and since you seem to know little about athletics I will remind you that being able to run the 100m and 800m competitively is a much much greater challenge than running 1,500 to 10,000 a lot of athletes have run this span over the years as it is easier to be good over a range of distances.

all three of my athletes have bags and bags of style. Not just plain arrogance.

You say its all about style and not records then why mention his VO2 max you do like to contradict yourself don’t you.

biggrin

oh and ps oh and by the way Steve only had limited international success at 3000m and 5000m
EDITED_BY: Mint Sauce (1135541534)

before i met those lot i thought they'd be a bunch of dreadlocked hippies that smoked, set things on fire ,and drank a lot of tea but then when i met them....oh wait (PyroWill)

pre1236member
33 posts

Posted:

You should have herd of Haile Gebreselassie (from Ethiopia)

He is regarded universally as the greatest distance runner of all times by most people. Breaking numerous word and championship records throughout his career.

And you talk about determination and grit then just take a look at Hicham El Guerrouj run he was an inspiration you will never see determination to be the best more on any one else’s face.
he wasn’t just out to beat every one else he was out to be the best ever and he was. just check out his world record breaking run back in 1999 in the 3000m it is an awe inspiring run

and since you seem to know little about athletics I will remind you that being able to run the 100m and 800m competitively is a much much greater challenge than running 1,500 to 10,000 a lot of athletes have run this span over the years as it is easier to be good over a range of distances.

all three of my athletes have bags and bags of style. Not just plain arrogance.
You say its all about style and not records then why mention his VO2 max you do like to contradict yourself don’t you.

biggrin

oh and ps oh and by the way Steve only had limited international success at 3000m and 5000m

and anyway Pre specialized in the 3mile and 5000 meter so thats not saying much

I took the liberty of correcting your spelling of Haile Gebreselassie's name the last name is one word. and I know more about distance running(particularly pre) than most people who were not born in his time know. And having the charisma that Pre had was unlike any runner who had ever lived. or athlete at that mark. You may be unfamiliar with some of pre's records such as holding for a period of time holding every american record from 1,000-10,000 meters and his 13:39 5,000 as a freshman in college most runners as you obviously are unaware distance runners specialize in one maybe 2 rarely 3 . I am not a fan of sprinting it really doesn't take stradegy in order to win a sprint race. don't tell me I am uneducated as an athlete

and just a question what kind of times do you run for 5,000 mint sauce? and give me physical proof of this time if you would show me a link to the race results? The course I run for highshool goes uphil for 2 miles plunges for 3/4's of a mile and then a steady incline for another 1/4mile I have managed some decent times for a 9th grader lets here some of your times and then I'll give physical proof of my times.

Mint SauceBRONZE Member
veteran
1,453 posts

Posted:
Pre this is not a pissing contest just chill.

You maybe a better 5000m runner than me I don’t care I never ran the distance myself and certainly don’t run any more I now have a full time job. Like I said I had limited success as an inter boy (uk age groups under 20s) at 400m if you must know my PB was 47.2 not to bad smile.

You will not find this published any where accept in some old timekeeping records, you may find an old result or two in athletics weekly but if you think I'm going to spend my time digging them out phhhaa I have better things to be doing.

Oh and I love the way you go out of your way to make your course sound difficult if you are going to give times at least give flat track times where you can have accurate comparisons.

As I stated before Pre was good, but only in America (a small geography lesson America is not the only country of the world there are others you know) yes he held all the American records of the time but all that says is the American records where not that impressive.

He did not hold much international standing. This is just from memory mind I think he only got 4th in the Munich Olympics cant remember what year 72 I think in the 5000m

yes he did improve from this but not a lot.

He may have gone on to better things but died young and it was this that made him an American idol not his running prowess.

But I will end on yes it dose take strategy to win a sprint race you have obviously never run a 400m or 200m competitively.

This charisma you speak of I saw it more as arrogance.

ps

oh by the way the 3mile is not a distant run that often never was!! (it may be in America but not internationally only in pre season warm up events)

we still only run the mile because of the historical connections.

before i met those lot i thought they'd be a bunch of dreadlocked hippies that smoked, set things on fire ,and drank a lot of tea but then when i met them....oh wait (PyroWill)

hexagonicClubbles Jugs
1,687 posts

Posted:
And when the censored did this thread become a debate about Pre*whateverthef*(k* I don't know what his surname is/or care?

Pre, you started this thread about the number of objects people on this smile smile smile smile thread can do.

Now what are you doing trying to flex your arguing muscles about athletics? confused

Take it to an athletics forum if you really want to argue about it. This here is a forum about other toys, NOT ATHELTICS.

Or even you really want, take it to Social Discussion for a slightly more of an open discussion on the subject.

Personally, outside the Olympics I don't give a feck about athletics. This forum is for other toys and in particular the juggling threads, which i certainly do care about.

Go away and go to a forum where athletics is the topic, NOT OTHER TOYS.

ah wah wah wah a wah wah

Mint SauceBRONZE Member
veteran
1,453 posts

Posted:
sorry hex

Mint SauceBRONZE Member
veteran
1,453 posts

Posted:
I can juggle 3 balls (for about 12 catches) redface

I only just learning I'm still at the running forward stage redface.

I'm a weavesmiley not a juggle but I’m trying to address the imbalance

One question I would like to ask is why the big thing around how many objects juggled. Surly it takes just as much skill to juggle a 3 ball mills mess as it dose to juggle a 4 ball cascade?? (this is just an assumption as I cant do either) confused

But on a personal note I would much prefer to see someone juggling more technical tricks with 3 or 4 balls/clubs than just how many they can do.

I have several Thomas Dietz videos and after a short while they start to get dull yes he can throw many things very high, its still a bit dull to watch. I an mot denying he is amazingly talented. I just prefer less balls/clubs more verity.

Sorry for going of topic I will step gracefully back and continue to lurk smile

LemonkeyStalking amidst the desert, carrying an oversized scalpel...
1,019 posts

Posted:

One question I would like to ask is why the big thing around how many objects juggled. Surly it takes just as much skill to juggle a 3 ball mills mess as it dose to juggle a 4 ball cascade?? (this is just an assumption as I cant do either) confused

Juggling more balls requires a greater speed, more control, greater hand-eye coordination - basically, it's bloody hard, and a lot of respect is given to those who can juggle larger numbers when only a handful of people can.

I have several Thomas Dietz videos and after a short while they start to get dull yes he can throw many things very high, its still a bit dull to watch. I an mot denying he is amazingly talented. I just prefer less balls/clubs more verity.

Thomas doesn't just throw them high in the basic pattern, Thomas can juggle number siteswaps, amazing control etc, doesn't get boring for me. What does get boring is seeing somebody poi, that really does look all the same. ubbloco

(Sorry, shan't turn this into a poi-bashing thread)

Willy - is bad for your health...

Mint SauceBRONZE Member
veteran
1,453 posts

Posted:
thats ok i find poi dull to untill you see sombody who is actuualy any good at it. like UCOF Oli of Fluffy

then its far from dull

so is it esear to do a 3 ball mills mess than a 4 ball cascade???

edit...

lol just found out why you dont like poi it would seem that poi dont like you wink or a certain part of your anotomy ubbrollsmile
EDITED_BY: Mint Sauce (1135602911)

TheBovrilMonkeySILVER Member
Liquid Cow
2,629 posts

Posted:
Written by: pre1236

I have managed some decent times for a 9th grader

So.. you're 13?

Hmm, explains a fair bit.

As to numbers juggled, I can juggle 3 balls, 3 clubs, 3 rings.

I don't plan to learn any more than 3 in the foreseeable future, I'd much rather learn new patterns instead.

Also, it's kind of an objection to people who say 'Oh, you can juggle... how many can you do?' as a first reaction after hearing that I juggle. I know, I'm very petty wink
EDITED_BY: TheBovrilMonkey (1135610009)

But there's no sense crying over every mistake. You just keep on trying till you run out of cake.

shen shuiSILVER Member
no excuses. no apologies.
1,799 posts

Posted:
Written by: TheBovrilMonkey

I know, I'm very pretty wink

(just edited it so it was spelt right)

hug

those that know, dont say. those that say, dont know.

preSILVER Member
161 posts

Posted:
Written by: TheBovrilMonkey

I have managed some decent times for a 9th grader

So.. you're 13?

Hmm, explains a fair bit.

As to numbers juggled, I can juggle 3 balls, 3 clubs, 3 rings.
I don't plan to learn any more than 3 in the foreseeable future, I'd much rather learn new patterns instead.
Also, it's kind of an objection to people who say 'Oh, you can juggle... how many can you do?' as a first reaction after hearing that I juggle. I know, I'm very petty wink

No I'm not 13 all the kids in my grade are either 14 or 15 a few are 16 like myself in a few weeks.

and what does "It explains a fair bit" mean exactly Just because I Enjoy debating and arguing doesn't mean I have to be ganged up on

hexagonicClubbles Jugs
1,687 posts

Posted:

I have several Thomas Dietz videos and after a short while they start to get dull yes he can throw many things very high, its still a bit dull to watch.

I can understand that. I've seen a fair amount of his videos and i find his stuff can get a bit boring after a while. I think if you are only just starting out in juggling juggle it's difficult to gauge (gage?) how difficult numbers are and tricks with numbers. Dietz does loads of ubblove stuff but i find it's more along these lines "damn i can only just about do that with balls and he's doing it with clubs". I also find that until people get into siteswaps they generally find it difficult to see wtf is going on. I certainly did wink

ah wah wah wah a wah wah

LemonkeyStalking amidst the desert, carrying an oversized scalpel...
1,019 posts

Posted:

thats ok i find poi dull to untill you see sombody who is actuualy any good at it. like UCOF Oli of Fluffy
then its far from dull

so is it esear to do a 3 ball mills mess than a 4 ball cascade???

edit...

lol just found out why you dont like poi it would seem that poi dont like you wink or a certain part of your anotomy ubbrollsmile

I did watch a video by Meenik (devilishy yers, I think), and I loved it. Everything flowed beautifully, timing was perfect etc - very nice to watch.

Personally, I find a 4 ball fountain easier than a 3 ball mills mess.

... and I've gained control over poi now! They don't go for the aforementioned certain part of my anatomy anymore. smile

Willy - is bad for your health...

TheBovrilMonkeySILVER Member
Liquid Cow
2,629 posts

Posted:

and what does "It explains a fair bit" mean exactly Just because I Enjoy debating and arguing doesn't mean I have to be ganged up on

I meant that it partially explains your lack of punctuation and your spelling mistakes - after all, you've only had a partial education so far.

It also explains your eagerness to fly off the handle. Why, with all those hormones rampaging around, it's pretty understandable.

*shrugs* Anyway, this is neither the time nor the place for stuff like this, time to get back to juggling.
On that subject, I have to admit that I find numbers juggling pretty boring to watch too, unless the juggler is damned good and is doing more than just a cascade.

But there's no sense crying over every mistake. You just keep on trying till you run out of cake.

pre1236member
33 posts

Posted:

One question I would like to ask is why the big thing around how many objects juggled.

Because telling people that you can juggle say 7,8 or 9 sounds better than tell them you can do a 5 ball mills mess or a (6X,4)*. Because most people who dont juggle dont know what a 5 ball mills mess or a (6X,4)* is but they imidiately know what your talking about when you say you can juggle 7,8,or 9 balls.

And on a preformance stand point you want to be good at 3 things.Technical juggling skill, numbers and stage prescence. The only one that you can lack in is technical skill but is balanced out by the ability to do numbers. If you can only do 4 ball mills mess people don't find that as exciting as 6 or 7 balls. and Stage prescence, you dont want to bore the audiance for then they will give bad reviews about you and you will not have as good of an attendance to your shows. for people Who have never seen anyone juggle more than 3 they will be amazed to see someone do even 5 balls let alone 6 or 7.
EDITED_BY: pre1236 (1135797314)

Mint SauceBRONZE Member
veteran
1,453 posts

Posted:
humm i would have to dissagree but im at work so dont have time to construct a propper reply i will post more when i get home.

hexagonicClubbles Jugs
1,687 posts

Posted:

And on a performance stand point you want to be good at 3 things.Technical juggling skill, numbers and stage prescence.

Damn! I only have two of those things, I dont think I'll ever make it as a performer frown frown

I also disagree with the above post but I know that Pre is too ignorant to read and take note of what I say. Or anyone else for that matter. I think he must have his selective reading cap on wink

ah wah wah wah a wah wah

[Nx?]BRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,749 posts

Posted:
*finds out pre is 15*

so I had to read ALL your posts? why dont you read all mine, gotta be around the 2000 mark now...

and the answer mint sauce was searching for was:

It dosnt matter whether you tell peaple you can juggle 9,14 or a 5 ball mills mess, the GP (General Public) cant count over five, so you are standing there doing five and can quite easily claim that you are doing 6, 7 or even 9 balls and most of the GP will believe you. If you dont believe it I sugest you learn 5 balls and try it :P

and why do we have to gang up on you? *sings* "If you have to ask...."

T wave
EDITED_BY: [Nx?] (1135962775)

This is a post by tom, all spelling is deleberate
-><- Kallisti

pre1236member
33 posts

Posted:
thats why when you juggle for the general public you show all the balls you are juggling before you juggle them. If you watch Jason garfields IJA preformance in 02' when he does 7 he shows them all 7 balls before he juggles them. I think 6 is countable only that people need to know that even numbers don't cross.

And if you tell them you are doing 9 when you are doing seven or 8 when you juggle 6 that would easily clasify you as a hack preformer.

CantusSILVER Member
Tantamount to fatuity
15,966 posts

Posted:

that would easily clasify you as a hack preformer.

It's a good job if you can get it. Necessary for all those busy people that need their hacks ready made.... wink

Meh

PyroWillGOLD Member
HoP's Barman. Trapped aged 6 months
4,437 posts

Posted:
Pre why are you so worried about being the best of the best or showing off your technicality? dont you realise it doesnt impress us, and if you can stand there and do 9 balls continuously for say 30 seconds and people go ok thats impressive, so what, what have youa chieved, you worked our ass off to do 9 balls for a bit but what style do you put to it, nothing except looking constipated cos your concentrating so hard.

Im not a very good juggler i can do a few 3 ball patterns and just about a 4 ball columns, but i bet my method of 3 ball juggling can in itself look more impressive than someone just standing there doing 7, 8 or 9 balls, I mix a bit of contact juggling and even flairing into my 3 ball juggling to spice it up, i know im not that good, but i make do with what ive got, i can do 3 ball ok, so i try and make that exciting, i dont want to push myself to as many balls as possible, whats the point, you limit yourself to what you can do with the balls you play with

only yesterday i could only find 2 juggling balls and i was like damn i cant juggle now, but then i started to play with them, and i was just doing weird 2 ball patterns, and i had lots of fun, i had lots of time to move my hands and move my body because i wasnt worrying about catching all these extra balls and i developed a fluidic type of juggling i hadnt done before, all from just going back to basic and developing a style

try getting some style to your juggling rather than saying i can do a 9 ball such and such, cos quite frankly, its not impressing us

An eye for an eye only ends up making the whole world blind

Give a man a fish and he'll eat 4 a day hit a man with a brick and you can have all his fish and his wife

"Will's to pretty for prison" - Simian

onewheeldaveGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,252 posts

Posted:
Much as numbers juggling is not the be-all and end-all of juggling, the fact remains that it is an important aspect of it.

And, In general, though some of pre's posts have tended to be somewhat aggressive/annoying, IMO, some of the replies, from established community members have been just as bad, and basically constitue goading him/her.

Trying to make Pre feel small and unliked seems, to me, to be unproductive. It's perfectly feasible to object to his/her posting style and offer constructive critisism without goading, insulting, and using obscene language.

Back to numbers- it's a choice (whether or not to do them) for the individual juggler.

Pyrowill- saying a nine-ball juggler looks 'constipated' is, IMO, not true, and I suspect it possibly falls into the category of 'Pre-goading' that I mentioned earlier.

Juggling 9 balls is an incredible display of skill, and the few individuals on this planet who can manage it have put in an enormous amount of practice, as well as probably possessing a large quantity of natural talent.

When it comes to impressing people,it depends on the audience- the general public tend to have no comprehension of the difficulty level of 3,4,5,7,9 etc balls; most jugglers who've been juggling for several years, been to conventions, read up on stuff etc, etc would be very, very impressed by 9.

A nine ball cascade is not going to hold the attention for long periods of time like, say, a flawless and flowing 3-ball routine/diabolo/poi, which, when performed by an expert, have the elements of dance, or maybe tell a story etc.

It's impressive in a different way, certainly, anyone who watches a nine-ball juggler, and who then turns round and comments that he/she 'looks constipated', is, IMO, missing something.

-----------------------

Pre, in the unlikely event that you're still bothering to access this forum- your posting style needs work, you should think about more effective ways to communicate with online posting, and on not getting peoples backs up; but, IMO, you've had a shoddy welcome here, from people who should know better.

To the extent that I'm in a position to offer apologies on behalf of the community, I do so.

"You can't outrun Death forever.
But you can make the Bastard work for it."

--MAJOR KORGO KORGAR,
"Last of The Lancers"
AFC 32

Educate your self in the Hazards of Fire Breathing STAY SAFE!

mcpPLATINUM Member
Flying Water Muppet
5,276 posts

Posted:
Well, I wouldn't say they look constipated, but they have a very similar stance. Feet shoulder width apart, staring upwards, no movement apart from their arms.

Exciting I can tell you.

I once saw thomas dietz walk around in a circle doing 6 or 7. That was exciting, cos he was walking around in a circle!

It's like telling me that just cos a skinny white teenage boy wearing nothing but tiny 80's sports shorts and socks and trainers, doing retarded and quite weird jumps while whirling his legs about in mid air around and over a hackysack, that I shouldn't take the piss out of him cos he's doing something difficult?

Sure it probably is difficult, I probably couldn't learn it, even if I wanted too, but still I'd appreciate more something simpler, and prettier. Much like I appreciate van Gogh more than Jason Pollock.

this is almost an entirely tangental post, and I agree with all of what OWD said. I just felt like posting my feelings on numbers jugglers indentical stances. biggrin

"the now legendary" - Kaskade
"the still legendary" - Kaskade

I spunked in my friend's aquarium and the fish ate it. I love all fish. Especially the pink ones. They are my bitches. - Anon.

PyroWillGOLD Member
HoP's Barman. Trapped aged 6 months
4,437 posts

Posted:
maybe identical stances was a better word than constipation wink

An eye for an eye only ends up making the whole world blind

Give a man a fish and he'll eat 4 a day hit a man with a brick and you can have all his fish and his wife

"Will's to pretty for prison" - Simian

hexagonicClubbles Jugs
1,687 posts

Posted:
Written by: PyroWill

but what style do you put to it, nothing except looking constipated cos your concentrating so hard.

Oh dear, do I really look that bad? ubblol It's true though number jugglers do just stand there and juggle, no movement and and feet apart like PW says. Not sure about the constipation look though!

Unfortunately numbers (does seven count?) are a bitch, addictive once you get into them - since starting to juggle 7 my 5 balls has become so much better, to the extent now I can play 5 balls. Ok, this isn't that great for entertaining a [non-juggling] audience, but it's fun for me, and that's just about all I want from my juggling, to have fun and amuse myself. If I were to juggle for an audience I would probably be doing 3 and 4, there's not too much point going overboard for non-jugglers, like people have said above five it could be nine (and I quite often tell people I'm doing more than five to see if they can catch me out!).

As for Pre, yeah a bit of work on posting style would be good. It annoys me that it seems like he's just seen Jason Garfield and has got the same little boys'angst that Jason has, and has decided to bring it on here and see what happens. However, having said that the Circuses and Juggling thread has been ubblol ubblol very funny to read, and I suppose it's been good having someone contribute who is so narrow minded.

It's funny, i saw a post of Pre's in the poi forum and he was actually being helpful - matbe he just doesn't like jugglers wink

ah wah wah wah a wah wah

flash fireBRONZE Member
Sporadically Prodigal
2,758 posts

Posted:
I'm a bit shocked by this thread. There are some very old HoPpers in here displaying immature schoolyard antics; most of which I don't approve.

Surely those who have been around long enough know better than to goad people by now?

C'mon guys.... confused2

meditate

HoP Posting Guidelines
Is it the Truth?
Is it Fair to all concerned?
Will it build Goodwill and Better Friendships?
Will it be Beneficial to all concerned?
If you can answer YES to these 4 questions then you may post a reply.

_Aimée_SILVER Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
4,172 posts

Posted:

No I'm not 13 all the kids in my grade are either 14 or 15 a few are 16 like myself in a few weeks.

So you were kept back a year?

flash fireBRONZE Member
Sporadically Prodigal
2,758 posts

Posted:
Written by: *Aimée*

So you were kept back a year?

spank

HoP Posting Guidelines
Is it the Truth?
Is it Fair to all concerned?
Will it build Goodwill and Better Friendships?
Will it be Beneficial to all concerned?
If you can answer YES to these 4 questions then you may post a reply.

Page: