Forums > Social Discussion > Channel 4 program- dyslexia-a myth

Login/Join to Participate
Page:
pricklyleafSILVER Member
with added berries
1,365 posts

Posted:
Did anyone else see the program on Channel 4 tonight about dyslexia? (the dispatches program). I am so disgusted about it. It basically dismissed dyslexia simply as a problem with reading and writing, and then said that dyslexia doesn't exist.

I am so angry. In a world that is already incredibly predjuced and misinformed about dyslexia, its just made things so much worse.

It failed to even mention the fact that dyslexics are visual thinkers, and that one of the root causes of the condition is a poor working\short-term memory. It also didn't really explain the areas that dyslexics have difficulty in, such as motor control, auditry processing, memory.

I really am seething.

Live like there is no tomorrow,
dance like nobody is watching
and hula hoop like wiggling will save the world.

“What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us.”

Ralph Waldo Emerson

linden rathenGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
6,942 posts

Posted:
i didnt see it so i cant really comment

but i will say it depends on your definition of illness

i look after disabled kids and i see it more as just a dif personalilty than a illness

but thats just me

back

flidBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,136 posts

Posted:
agggghhhhhh, i was meant to be taping that, but there's currently a fraggle and a sheep in my living room watching and taping reign of fire. I've set the REPEAT ON CHANNEL 4 AT 4.35am ON SEPT 11 to tape. We love mythtv ubblove

onewheeldaveGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,252 posts

Posted:
I saw some of it and it looked interesting.

It certainly didn't seem to be attacking dyslexics in any way- it was basically claiming that traditional approaches to dyslexic people were misguided and largely inneffective; that research was showing that there were far better approaches.

It addressed the biased situation that those who had difficulties reading and got a diagnosis of dyslexia, received a great deal of help; whereas those who had difficulties reading but weren't classed as dyslexic; didn't. It claimed that research was showing that the distinction between those two groups was actually non-existent.

Now I don't know how valid that research is, but, as the guy on the program said, if it is, then it would be wrong not to make it public knowledge, especially as, if it is true, it will lead to more effective ways of helping those who have reading difficulties.

"You can't outrun Death forever.
But you can make the Bastard work for it."

--MAJOR KORGO KORGAR,
"Last of The Lancers"
AFC 32

Educate your self in the Hazards of Fire Breathing STAY SAFE!

pricklyleafSILVER Member
with added berries
1,365 posts

Posted:
But the problem is that it implied that dyslexia does not exist and failed to explain most of the problems associated with it. The generaly public are already very misimformed about what dyslexia is and this program has not helped.

“What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us.”

Ralph Waldo Emerson

onewheeldaveGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,252 posts

Posted:
It seemed to be saying that dyslexia doesn't exist, whilst maintaining that reading problems most definitly do.

That reading problems attributed to dyslexia are in fact something very different.

If that is the case (and I'm not saying it is) then the most responsible thing would be to make it very public, and then get to work on taking any resources currently being wasted on a problem that doesn't exist (dyslexia), and redirecting them to solving the problem that does (reading difficulties).

Note that I'm not saying dyslexia does in fact not exist, or that the program is correct; simply that if it is, then the rest follows, and that being the case the program is not doing anything to damage anyone, quite the opposite, it's trying to help those with reading difficulties.

--MAJOR KORGO KORGAR,
"Last of The Lancers"
AFC 32

MikeGinnyGOLD Member
HOP Mad Doctor
13,925 posts

Posted:
Oh lovely. That's the same as saying that ADHD doesn't exist.

When I was in Disabled Students of Stanford, many of the other members of the club seemed to resent my presence because I'm able-bodied.

Then one day we had to come together and help me because a professor was refusing to grant me educational accomodations. Now, when you have a disability you can see, such as a mobility issue or a sensory issue, life is difficult, you're ostracised, and your interaction with the world is changed, a priori.

But when your disability is invisible and others can't understand it, the sort of discrimination, resistance, and simple mean-spiritedness you face is absolutely awful.

-Mike

Certified Mad Doctor and HoP High Priest of Nutella

A buckuht n a hooze! -Valura

DominoSILVER Member
UnNatural Scientist - Currently working on a Breville-legged monkey
757 posts

Posted:
Dyslexics of the World Untie!

Sorry, had to. I'm dyslexic too and it racks me off no end when people dismiss it. When I was young my parents were told "He's just slow". My mum is dyslexic and went through school surrounded by a "You're not stupid, why can't you do it?" attitude, when she saw that I was doing the same things that she was and realised the school's opinion on the matter I was moved school, tested and given extra lessons. Best thing that could have happened.

Give me a lever long enough and a place to stand and I can beat the world into submission.

jemima (jem)SILVER Member
Pooh-Bah
1,750 posts

Posted:
DAMN DAMN DAMN I missed it ubbcrying

is it being repeated? anyone recorded it? frown

.........................reads flids post, phew, i will try and watch it then then ubbrollsmile
EDITED_BY: jemima (jem) (1126259757)

Never assume
Always Acknowledge

dromepixieveteran
1,463 posts

Posted:
well heres a different take... sorry a bit OFFTOPIC...

I know that I am dislexic. I have problems reading, writing and with left and right... BUT I was never tested or diagnosed. I know now that I have these tendencies through years of study and experience.

I dont wish to test myself as I would highlight a 'problem' or 'issue' which I believe I have mentally overcome through training.
EG I have trained myself to be a fast reader and then I had to train myself to understand what I was reading at that speed... I have also trained myself on correct spellings of words that I always tend to misspell... Or I spell correctly but I dont think it looks right...

Anyways what I'm trying to say is that by putting people in groups we instantly isolate them and allow a divide to occur. The only way to conquer issues like this is to practice appropriate integration of these traits into society as something unique to the individual.

I believe our society causes problems by making non matter matter... We should view these cases on an individual basis instead of just lumping people into pools of ability...

WHY DOES OUR CULTURE FEEL THE NEED TO CATEGORIZE EVERYTHING???

huggles,
drome

oh I'm sure the program was not intended to offend dislexic people...

JUGGLEwithyourmind!

Fine_Rabid_DogInternet Hate Machine
10,530 posts

Posted:
I've been diagonosed with Dyslexia, yet I have absolutly no trouble with reading or writing. I never have done. But I am an extrmely slow learner. It's taken me ages to get to the level of poi and staff that I am at now...

But I heavily doubt that the program dismissed dyslexia entirly. Programmes like that *always* argue on both sides. shrug

The existance of flamethrowers says that someone, somewhere, at sometime said "I need to set that thing on fire, but it's too far away."

tiz80SILVER Member
9 posts

Posted:
hi new round here so hi wave
i aggree that it dint realy help dispel any myths about dyslexia, and the fact that it was saying dyslexia didnt exist realy doesnt help those who have it, its already missunderstood enough without cofusing people saying it doent exist
it also made me laugh that apparently cumbria had a pionerring sceem, lol well when i was at school there the still didnt belive it exsisted an im 25 so thats not that long ago!
oh an my favorite myth i ever hear ' you cant be dyslexic, your a girl!' by a few people including a collage tutor

penelope the sheep ate all the mintcake!

10,530 posts

Posted:
Written by: dromepixie

Anyways what I'm trying to say is that by putting people in groups we instantly isolate them and allow a divide to occur. The only way to conquer issues like this is to practice appropriate integration of these traits into society as something unique to the individual.

Since when have dyslexics been isolated? I never have been...

The existance of flamethrowers says that someone, somewhere, at sometime said "I need to set that thing on fire, but it's too far away."

flidBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,136 posts

Posted:
yea, but you probably go to a school where they have provisions for dyslexics, possibly even tutors specially trained in teaching dyslexic students with those that arn't at least aware of the situation. Not all school kids have that privilege

10,530 posts

Posted:
Not at my prep school there wasn't.

The kids knew I had dyslexia and left it at that shrug

But if dyslexics are isolated, why? It's not like they have a disability, or lack of social skills or anything...

BirgitBRONZE Member
had her carpal tunnel surgery already thanks v much
4,145 posts

Posted:
You can only really isolate yourself... I mean, usually at school being really really good is isolating you more than having a few weaknesses! I've been told by a nurse once I should associate more with "people like myself" (diabetics) than having fun with "normal" kids wink I think it's the same for dyslexics, there's no reason it isolates you!

I've not seen the programme, but from this discussion I'd have to agree with onewheeldave - if "normal" reading problems don't seem that different from dyslexia it would be unfair on those kids to be regarded as stupid and to receive less help.

Apart from that (yep, I'm gonna get bashed for this!!!), I think if you have a disability or a problem that allows you to lead a nearly normal life, you just have to try that bit harder, and you just have to deal with people who don't know what they're talking about. Society is changing, and it's harder to fit in if you're not 150 % flexible and 150 % able to give the maximum power in the least time, which unfortunately we can't.

But blaming stuff on a disability is something I only do when it can't be helped, like being late because of the odd hypoglycemia in the morning etc. If it takes dyslexics longer to read something, or if I have to plan in extra breaks in a day full of experiments where I shouldn't take any but have to for food or injections, then you have to plan your day accordingly. While I accept that children should get as much assistance as possible, from a certain age you have to take responsibility for yourself, and if you want to achieve certain goals, you have to sacrifice something.

"vices are like genitals - most are ugly to behold, and yet we find that our own are dear to us."
(G.W. Dahlquist)

Owner of Dragosani's left half

MynciBRONZE Member
Macaque of all trades
8,738 posts

Posted:
One question.... I know a few people who go around SAYING they have dyslexia with no diagnosis, they blame everything written or reading based on them being "dyslexic" are any of the true dyslexics here appaled that they use dyslexia as an excuse or do you "know" when you have it. 1 dyslexic I knew hated it saying it gave dyslexics a bad rep, Beacuse they try hard.

I had to take lessons to write when I was 10 because it was illegible and they thought I may have been dyslexic due to common spelling errors and letter reversals, but was found I was just rushing to write what was in my head before I forgot it.

A couple of balls short of a full cascade... or maybe a few cards short of a deck... we'll see how this all fans out.

fluffy napalm fairyCarpal \'Tunnel
3,638 posts

Posted:
Linden Rathen - I agree smile

As far as I can tell, we are just sub-dividing characters and therefore characteristics further and further and giving them names.

That does NOT mean that they don't exist.
Just that it is normal for them TO exist, with or without a name,.
And that the best course of action should be to treat the symptoms (such as a difficulty in reading) rather than the umbrella term (such as Dyslexia).

My brother and step-brother struggled at school.
My step-brother was tested and found to be 'dyslexic' whereupon he got special tuition.
My brother was tested, wasn't found to be dyslexic, and didn't.
However they both displayed similar difficulties and should therefore have recieved similar help, with or without the term 'dyslexia' being applied, no?

smile

It's just characteristics. Like being green-eyed. Sure, it's a proven fact that some genes make green/blue/brown eyes so it's real, but it's still just one of the little blocks that makes up a whole person. Being a 'slow' or 'fast' learner is the same.

Geologists do it in the dirt................ spank

DurbsBRONZE Member
Classically British
5,689 posts

Posted:
Mrs Durbs (who incidentally is apparently very dyslexic...) wrote her dissertation on Dyslexia with specfic reference to motor-skills. Got her a First and it's going to be published soon so must've been quite good smile

One conclusion it reached was that currently there are no official sub-categories of dyslexia, so people either have it or they don't. This is ridiculous as you can get dyslexics who have excellent reading and writing skills but little motos skills and vice versa and yet they're all categorised as "Dyslexics" and given (or not) generic assistance.

To say it doesn't exist is rubbish though. However there i does seem to be a need to extend its definition and sub-categorise it...

Burner of Toast
Spinner of poi
Slacker of enormous magnitude

squarexbearSILVER Member
....of doom!
585 posts

Posted:
Written by: Mynci

One question.... I know a few people who go around SAYING they have dyslexia with no diagnosis, they blame everything written or reading based on them being "dyslexic" are any of the true dyslexics here appaled that they use dyslexia as an excuse or do you "know" when you have it. 1 dyslexic I knew hated it saying it gave dyslexics a bad rep, Beacuse they try hard.

yep, i was just trying to phrase that myself..

also, parents who cannot accept that their children are developing at a different rate to their peers and really really push for the kids to be diagnosed with everything and anything, basically so the parents have an excuse for their child being 'slow'. its horrible and wrong and is yet another product of this bizarre competitive parenting that seems to go on quite a lot in the richer parts of this area.

onewheeldaveGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,252 posts

Posted:
Dyslexics seem to be taking offence at this program and Ireally don't think there was anything in the program to justify that.

In no way did it belittle those classed as dyslexic, or deny that they had difficulties or require decent help; quite the opposite- it's central point is that dyslexics are been badly done to be current approaches.

I'll pit forward an analogy, it's not from the program, but this is how I understood it.

A century ago,it was routine medical practice to diagnose certain women with a condition called hysteria, and treat it in ways considered appropriate at the time.

Looking back, it's obvious that the condition of 'hysteria' did not exist, and that those treatments were totally innapropriate.

That's not to deny that those women had symtoms and a need for treatment/help- just that calling them 'hysterics' was not, on reflectino, the best way to do it.

Similarly, those diagnosed currently as dyslexic definitly have symptoms (eg reading difficulties)- the symptoms are very real, but 'dyslexia' is not- and treatment for dyslexia is similar to treatment for 'hysteria'; maybe in some cases it is the appropriate treatment, but, in the majority, it's not the most appropriate.

(Once again, let me point out that the above is not necessarily what I believe myself, it's just that I thought the documentary in question was balanced and not attacking dyslexics).

--MAJOR KORGO KORGAR,
"Last of The Lancers"
AFC 32

10,530 posts

Posted:
Written by: Birgit

You can only really isolate yourself... I mean, usually at school being really really good is isolating you more than having a few weaknesses! I've been told by a nurse once I should associate more with "people like myself" (diabetics) than having fun with "normal" kids wink I think it's the same for dyslexics, there's no reason it isolates you!

That's what I wanted to say, but I didn't want to offend anyone.

BirgitBRONZE Member
had her carpal tunnel surgery already thanks v much
4,145 posts

Posted:
Don't think you did offend anyone smile

"vices are like genitals - most are ugly to behold, and yet we find that our own are dear to us."
(G.W. Dahlquist)

Owner of Dragosani's left half

pricklyleafSILVER Member
with added berries
1,365 posts

Posted:
Written by: fluffy napalm fairy

That does NOT mean that they don't exist.
Just that it is normal for them TO exist, with or without a name,.
And that the best course of action should be to treat the symptoms (such as a difficulty in reading) rather than the umbrella term (such as Dyslexia).

I was only recently diagnosed with dyslexia, at te age of 21. Diagnosis is VERY important. Despite being intellegent, at school I was fobbed of by a few terachers who thought I just wasn't putting the work in\ the effort in, when in fact I was putting in twice as much effort as everybody else, yet getting nowhere. I got fustrated (by the way I'm talking mainly about high school here, I can read and write fine) so I find it very offensive when people here have suggested that dyslexics just use their disability as an excuse, and don't try hard enough. When I was diagnosed, that there was actually something 'wrong' (not so much wrong, just different) it was such a relief. It me realise that the effects were not just me being stupid, or thinking enough, or trying hard enough, or being clumsy, but there was a reason I had these difficulties. When you are diagnosed with dyslexia, you're weaker and stronger areas are explained to you so you can learn how to develop stragegies around them if needed.

So its all very well just treating symptoms but knowing the cause is very important. If you had cancer but you were just getting tired and feeling ill, it wouldn't be enough just to be treated for tiredness and sickness. The cause needs to be diagnosed so the full implications can be understood. Just because something is invisable doesn't make this any less true. Dyslexia has a hell of a lot more 'symptoms' than reading and writing difficulties.

A lot of the people who agreed with the program seem like they don't really understand what dyslexia is and how it affects people, that its more than reading and writing difficulties. Please visit this site, and read up on the subject before dismissing dyslexia.

Please read me- symptoms of dyslexia

I agree with the point the program was trying to make in that everyone with reading etc difficulties should get all the help they need, but there was NO need for the program to target dyslexia and say it doesn't exist, giving people who already have difficulties, even more to worry about.

Ralph Waldo Emerson

MynciBRONZE Member
Macaque of all trades
8,738 posts

Posted:
Written by: pricklyleaf

so I find it very offensive when people here have suggested that dyslexics just use their disability as an excuse, and don't try hard enough.

Sorry If you're talking about me but I was talking about people who haven't been diagnosed as dyslexic, aren't dyslexic but "claim" dyslexia as an excuse for their failures. I was asking how "true" dyslexics feel about "fakers" giving them a bad name

A couple of balls short of a full cascade... or maybe a few cards short of a deck... we'll see how this all fans out.

IgirisujinSILVER Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
2,666 posts

Posted:
Well I didnt see it (damit I wanted too) but I do think dyslexia exsists because our brains are so complicated, were probably not goonna fully understand it ever, who knows dyslexic people might have something different about there brains from everyone else, then it odviously must exsist.

That and I saw on tv that a large number of people with dyslexia find it easyer to read when they look through blue/purple glass. Come on if that helps then its gotta be something physical to do with the brain, maybie even to do with the eyes and the brain combined.

Chief adviser to the Pharaoh, in one very snazzy mutli-coloured coat

'Time goes by so slowly for those who wait...' - Whatever Happend To Baby Madonna?

flidBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,136 posts

Posted:
one of my housemates at uni (whose parents paid her rent, but she paid her boyfriend 200 quid a month by bank transfer that he gave back to her in cash to look like she paid rent (despite not even living with him) and could be eligible for a hardship grant) thought it would be a good idea to try and get diagnosed with dyslexia, so she could go for the disabled student's allowance that purchases computer equipment on your behalf, which she could then sell on ebay..... She was quite dim, but I'm pretty sure she wasn't dyslexic

IgirisujinSILVER Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
2,666 posts

Posted:
LOL talk about working the system

Chief adviser to the Pharaoh, in one very snazzy mutli-coloured coat

'Time goes by so slowly for those who wait...' - Whatever Happend To Baby Madonna?

fluffy napalm fairyCarpal \'Tunnel
3,638 posts

Posted:
"When you are diagnosed with dyslexia, you're weaker and stronger areas are explained to you so you can learn how to develop stragegies around them if needed. "

Indeed.
Though this should be the way everyone is taught, with or without any 'disability'

I in no way implied that invisible disabilities are any less important - I don't think anyone has. smile

However trying to draw a parallel to cancer is not possible. Whether you like it or not, physical (visible) and mental (invisible) disabilities/ilnesses are not the same.

Some people are aggressive.
It could be that something in their brains is wrong which makes them naturally aggressive. However, at the end of the day you have a person that shows aggressive characteristics.
Some people are shy.
Apply the same rules. They display shy characteristics.
Some people learn slowly. The same rules again.
Some people never have a problem learning stuff - but may never have good coordination. And again.

What needs to change is acceptance of a wide range of people, learning, skills, characteristics, so that individuals are not assumed to be 'not putting in the effort' or 'stupid' but their particular strengths and weaknesses are addressed all the way through their education.

If you look carefully, Pricklyleaf, I think you will see that we are saying the same thing. It's just I don't think you need to have been labelled 'dyslexic' to deserve respect and time to understand why you have certain areas that need special attention.

smile

Geologists do it in the dirt................ spank

pricklyleafSILVER Member
with added berries
1,365 posts

Posted:
The colour filters only help with a specific conditon associated with dyslexia called 'scotopic sensitivity syndrome', which is the characteristic words moving, although with most people I don't think its as dramatic as the letters actually dancing across the page. It doesn't make reading impossible, you can still see the letters, but you really have to focus on them. With me, it only happens if I'm really tired, and\or reading off a computer screen, the words surrounding the ones I'm reading appear to vibrate. It can lead to a headache. I think its mainly caused when reading black text off a vibrant white background, the coloured filters tone the contrast down. This constant hard focussing is very tiring, and makes it hard to concentrate for long periods of time.

And Flid, it wasn't particulary aimed at you, sorry if it seemed it.

''quote FNP
However trying to draw a parallel to cancer is not possible. Whether you like it or not, physical (visible) and mental (invisible) disabilities/ilnesses are not the same.

Some people are aggressive.
It could be that something in their brains is wrong which makes them naturally aggressive. However, at the end of the day you have a person that shows aggressive characteristics.
Some people are shy.
Apply the same rules. They display shy characteristics.
Some people learn slowly. The same rules again.
Some people never have a problem learning stuff - but may never have good coordination. And again.''

But dyslexia is nowhere nearly as simply as just being agressive, or shy, it is a disability and has multiple symptoms. Yes it is very different to cancer, but that was the first thing that came into my head to point out that its all very well you saying that symptopms should just be treated and not diagnosed, but until something is diagnosed, you can't know the bigger picture, thats why its important, you don't know or understand all the repracusions something could have, and can't treat them, until you know what it is you are dealing with.

Ralph Waldo Emerson

flidBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,136 posts

Posted:
Written by: Fine_Rabit_Dog

That's what I wanted to say, but I didn't want to offend anyone.

no offence taken, we had pretty good support for dyslexia at my highschool and sixth form college, which may or may not have helped me into get to university and now into a good graduate job. I was merely trying to point out that private/public (uk name for some old and expensive private boarding schools, not to be confused with US public schools, they are called state here) school kids generally (not always) have much better provisions in place, so using yourself as an example isn't as applicable as many kids in the UK.

Personally I'm mildly dyslexic, which I was diagnosed with when i was 14. I'd never really had a problem before and I was at a top rated/selective public school at the time. My GCSE results at 16 were fine, but I have severe issues with the way that alevels were taught, which resulted in me repeating the final year at the local sixth form college, which didn't really help either. I know I have the ability to learn from all of my free-time study in electronics/computing, so I persevered with education and blagged my way onto a foundation year of my first choice (and only choice in this country as at the time they were the only ones with any real research background in my chosen topic) university course. At university I also had issues with the way things are taught, I could go to lectures and not have a clue what was going on, although if i spent the same amount of time reading books on the subject I would have no problems. So I just started skipping lectures, having fun and then teaching myself the courses in the months before exams. In my second year I completed virtually no coursework and went to 4 lectures in total one term. I graduated with 2nd class hons though, got a reasonably good job and am now applying for a masters. Being dyslexic, from my experience anyway, doesn't make you less able to learn, but may make your style of learning incompatible with that which has been adopted by schools/colleges/universities as the way that's good for the majority of the population. I have no doubt that I could have obtained a 1st at university if I'd done all my coursework and the lectures had been in my style of learning - I affectively taught myself the contents with little guidance. My short term memory is extremely crap, so I suck at being told stuff and remembering it, but I can remember stuff that's written down in books/lecture slides, and I'm great at remembering numbers, codes etc. My spacial awareness/3d visualisation is good, as is my ability to plan out complex systems and algorithms in my head without needing to write them down. Personally I think this is a great skill to have, but it doesn't help one bit when you're being made to write everything down in a way that some people need (flow charts, uml etc) but you see completely pointless (don't get me wrong, I completely understand why you need to write things down when working in teams or as a reminder to yourself or future people in you job of the way things were done, I just personally don't need it most of the time). The main problem is, and coming back to the reason I'm making this post, is motivation. If your way of learning is incompatible with the way that's being forced on you, you have to put in lots of effort to do your own study. Not everyone has that motivation, nor encouragement from their school/parents/friends etc. There's a lot of very bright people who drop out of school at 16 and end up in crap jobs all their life because they weren't given the support and encouragement they needed at the right time. From that point of view I was extremely lucky.

I don't think there is no such thing as dyslexia, but I think the word dyslexia covers quite a few different syndromes, each of which with varying levels, so saying you are dyslexic doesn't really mean anything sometimes other than the fact that you may be not as good as other kids/employees etc.

Page: