Forums > Help! > Insurance (again :) )

Login/Join to Participate

Sam JelfsBRONZE Member
26 posts
Location: Derby, United Kingdom

Hey everyone...

i know this has been asked many a time before, and yes, i have searched the forum for an answer.... so sorry for re-posting this smile

Im looking at starting a fire performance society at uni, and need to give them a proposal to do this... as part of the proposal i need a budget... so my question is, does anyone have an idea of how much group insurance will cost for a year? looking at covering up to approx 10 people at any one time.

Also does anyone have a contact for Country Mutual? as the link i found on here went to which now forwards to

i have contacted expo-sure and they say they wont cover fire spinning, and have emailed ...

thanks for any info you can give me

Sam Jelfs

DurbsBRONZE Member
Classically British
5,688 posts
Location: Epsom, Surrey, England

er - when you searched the forums for an answer... Did you not try clicking on any of the results? wink
Only you're right - it's been asked, and answered, many, many times before.

once again

Country Mutual - 01952 641321

But for groups of more than 6, I believe Equity work out cheaper.

Burner of Toast
Spinner of poi
Slacker of enormous magnitude

DoktorSkellSILVER Member
475 posts
Location: Van Diemans Land, Australia

Ooohhh.... durbs your quick.

Your very quick. *waves a durbs flag*

Fair luna bright, fair luna moon
it shines at night but fades too soon
fair luna moon, fair luna bright
forever we dance
we dance under starlight

607 posts
Location: London/Bristol, United Kingdom

we've just got insurence from park insurence which seems to be the cheeps for groups (105 each) but if your not doing paid performances the union insurence that it takes out on everyone should cover you (whetheir they know it or not) just make sure it connected with a socitey.

p.s. this is ownly PL insurence we're taking about?

Maybe I should change this too something abit nicer, humm no I still think your all Ccensoredt

flidBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,136 posts
Location: Warwickshire, United Kingdom

I ran a couple of societies at university and sat on the union council for 2 years. There is absolutely no way in hell that a society doing fire performing would have ever have been ratified (the health and safety bureucracy of putting up a banner in a public place are pain enough), the juggling soc got ratified on the basis that they weren't. I highly doubt that the insurer would pay out in the event of a claim and you really must check it out with your union before you perform on the basis it will.

DuncGOLD Member
playing the days away
7,263 posts
Location: The Middle lands, United Kingdom

I'm with Country Mutual, but only cuz they're based about 5 minutes from my house. They were prompt and coutious when arranging the policy but I've never needed to claim so don't know whow good they are at that.

Let's relight this forum ubblove

Sam JelfsBRONZE Member
26 posts
Location: Derby, United Kingdom

thanks for the info guys, just spoken to country mutual. smile

i have already spoken with our student union president and as the society is actually the street and circus soc, it will go through. He has also asked us to perform fire for student union functions... so i think he will support us wink

the issue with the insurance is that we wont be able to know who will be there from one week to the next, and no way could we afford to insure them all, so we need to find a policy that will cover some of us, and any others that may also be there (the chances of this are remote i know!)

flidBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,136 posts
Location: Warwickshire, United Kingdom

well, good luck with it smile

They may insure you for one off events, but teaching dangerous things as a society to students may be another matter.

colemanSILVER Member
big and good and broken
7,330 posts
Location: lunn dunn, yoo kay, United Kingdom


because equity now do individual pli for fire performers for just 26.25 on top of the normal subscription (which is about 80) smile

that works out to full pli for fire performers for around 110 biggrin

see this article for good information on circus performers' insurance in general and the latest comment (from mr p'chi), tells of the new deal from equity.

cole. x

"i see you at 'dis cafe.
i come to 'dis cafe quite a lot myself.
they do porridge."
- tim westwood

HOP Newsletter
Sign up to get the latest on sales, new releases and more...