Page:
Revilomember
14 posts

Posted:
Hi All,

I am looking at buying my first staff how do i decide which one is best for me I.E lenth weight ETC could someone please give some advice.

Ta

Ollie

ado-pGOLD Member
Pirate Ninja
3,882 posts

Posted:
Have you met Durbs?

He knows alot about this sort of stuff....

In the mean time, have a look in the shop online here. The three section staffs there are very nice.

Or make one....

Theres loads of info on the boards about making staffs and who thinks whats best. Try searching for 'staff length' or 'staff' or some such.

What ever you have the most fun with is always best smile

best o luck

a

Love is the law.

UCOFSILVER Member
15,417 posts

Posted:
Indeed.

that durbs is a font of knowledge.

Everyone one here asks him when they have a question about anything.

Everyone should meet durbs at least 5 times in their life.
He has made such as positive impact on my life, I love him from the very heart of my bottom.

He is a role model for us all.

I owe everything to him.

smile

DurbsBRONZE Member
Classically British
5,689 posts

Posted:
Including a fiver...

Hello - I'm Durbs smile

Looking for info? Click the link in my signature!

Don't worry about UCOF - he's got a nasty infectious disease.

Burner of Toast
Spinner of poi
Slacker of enormous magnitude

ado-pGOLD Member
Pirate Ninja
3,882 posts

Posted:
UCOF, When you say font, do you mean like Times New Roman or Veranda?

are you saying that durbs is in fact a typeface? which is text and therefore knowledge...

I thought of something else Oliver, not sure where you are located globally but there are people on HOP here that make and sell sticks...

Let everyone know what you decide you want. you never know. I'm pretty sure their are some uk/nz/aus people who make their own toys.

Im learning at the moment but im also buying new staffs so that i will be sure of having a safe qualilty toy that i can use and learn from...

Love is the law.

UCOFSILVER Member
15,417 posts

Posted:
Ado-p, When i say font, I do not mean like Times New Roman or Veranda.

I mean like this: https://www.stjulie.org/baptismal_font.jpg

smile

That is a font.

Just like Durbs.

His knowledge knows no bounds.

ado-pGOLD Member
Pirate Ninja
3,882 posts

Posted:
ubblol

Love is the law.

mcpPLATINUM Member
Flying Water Muppet
5,276 posts

Posted:
you crazy kids! biggrin

Get a job. mad

"the now legendary" - Kaskade
"the still legendary" - Kaskade

I spunked in my friend's aquarium and the fish ate it. I love all fish. Especially the pink ones. They are my bitches. - Anon.

Revilomember
14 posts

Posted:
thanks for the help peeps i will get on the case and get my self a staff soon,
what is the best way to make my own?

hope to meet up with a few people of HOP soon i work all over the country so i will post to let people know where i am to see if anyone fancy's meeting for a spin.

Thanks all
Ollie

simian110% MONKEY EVERY TIME ALL THE TIME JUST CANT STOP THE MONKEY
3,149 posts

Posted:
one way to make a stick:

1. get a broomhandle thats about 1 to 1 and a half metres long from a hardware shop (should be 50p to £1)

2. put a handle on it (tennis racquet\hockey\squash\bike grip whatever. Electrical tape is cheap. The handle is usually the most expensive part of a practice staff.)

3. stick tennis balls or pipe insulation or something on the ends to give it a little added boost in contact.

sections two and three are completely optional smile

if i were you, i'd pop down oddballs in camden and buy a nice £30 to £50 fire staff. remember you really get what you pay for, and staffs that unscrew into sections are all poo. They have some really lovely thin 5ft staffs with double and triple wicks that kick ass. they also have "Steve Staffs" which i don;t like but everyone else in the world loves them.

or you could make a fire staff, but there the advice gets very long and complicated, and you should do a durbs smile

"Switching between different kinds of chuu chuu sometimes gives this "urgh wtf?" effect because it's giving people the phi phenomenon."

Revilomember
14 posts

Posted:
Hi Simian,

Thanks for that thats spot! as it happen i am working in london so i think i will have to pop the shop in camden and treat myself. so do you recommend a one pice staff?

Thanks again
Ollie

3,149 posts

Posted:
yes, get a one piece. cheaper and much less prone to breaking.

actually i'm not sure if any breakdown ones are in oddballs now anyway...

anyhoo, chat to the staff, ask them for their recommendations. try out the sticks (they should let you take them outside for a spin if you ask nicely)

then get the one that has the BIGGEST WICKS

because that will be the one you wish you'd bought.

"Switching between different kinds of chuu chuu sometimes gives this "urgh wtf?" effect because it's giving people the phi phenomenon."

loki.c1687SILVER Member
addict
546 posts

Posted:
i think its always better to make your own,not only do you get a staff that is the perfect wieght and size for you....plus you will have alot more pride and love for your staff(i know that sounded really sad)but i think you should take the time to make your own.It cost me lik 15 quid to make mine b4 i got kevar for it.plus i think it turn out really well,here check it out

https://delizium.fotopic.net/p7708857.html

heres some sites you should check out if you wana make your own:

https://www.blanketfort.com/juggling/staff.html

[Old link]

[Old link]
EDITED_BY: loki.c1687 (1099017523)

Rules and responsibities:
These are the ties that bind us.
We do what we do,because of who we are.
If we did otherwise,we would not be ourselves.
I will do what i have to do
And i will do what i must..

FabergGOLD Member
veteran
1,459 posts

Posted:
Written by: loki.c1687

i think its always better to make your own,not only do you get a staff that is the perfect wieght and size for you....plus you will have alot more pride and love for your staff(i know that sounded really sad)

that's not sad at all..... apparently simian talks to his.....

Written by: simian

anyhoo, chat to the staff

ubblol

My mind not only wanders, it sometimes leaves completely smile

nativeSILVER Member
sleeping with angels
508 posts

Posted:
dude i love the three piece staff they sell here but i had to do some mods to it. the only part i had to change was the grip
i hated the taperd grip. but thats my own thing. but i also like the one i made myself the best. i own 5 staffs and so far i still think the one i made was the best

SLEEP WITH ANGELS muckieha

Revilomember
14 posts

Posted:
well it sound like making my own is the way forward thanks for the sites LOKI, what part of manchester are you from i am working in piccadilly next week so if your about do you fancy meeting for a spin?

Having pride in things you make is always good!

nativeSILVER Member
sleeping with angels
508 posts

Posted:
not from manchester

ado-pGOLD Member
Pirate Ninja
3,882 posts

Posted:
Its true,

I made my very first staff last night and i love it.

I reckon try making some different kinds of staffs if you could. Dont use the kevlar until you've decided which one suits you best.

Variety is the spice of life

Love is the law.

Revilomember
14 posts

Posted:
it seems making my own is the way forward thanks for the sites LOKI! i am working in manchester next week in piccadilly do you fancy meeting for a spin??

Ollie

nativeSILVER Member
sleeping with angels
508 posts

Posted:
i agree with ado use cotton wicking until you decide exactly the way you want the staff

3,149 posts

Posted:
my preferred method is getting other people to make exactly the staffs i want, then buying\stealing them

hughughughug to weasel, fairie ben, matthew bm and the bovrilmonkey

Ariadmember
66 posts

Posted:
I think i'll buy this one
https://www.gforcegear.com/details.asp?ID...=&ShowMe=30

I wonder how much does it costs to ship that to the other side of the world S:

DurbsBRONZE Member
Classically British
5,689 posts

Posted:
Hmmm - different kind of staff... That's a martial art staff which is a bit rubbish for staff-spinning as it's not evenly balanced (due to having a tapered end.
You also can't set fire to it...

Burner of Toast
Spinner of poi
Slacker of enormous magnitude

Ariadmember
66 posts

Posted:
What do you mean by rubbish?

How will that affect the spinning?

T&BBRONZE Member
Me
607 posts

Posted:
humm not sure it'll be rubbish to spin with but it probably won't make your life easy if you want to do the type of spinning that most of the people on hop do.

the first problem is that it's very important to know where the centre of gravity on your staff is which as it has a tapered end might not be the centre of the staff although as long as you mark it clearly this doesn't matter to much.

also for contact staff it helps to have resonably heavy staff and some weighting at the ends which most people find fits in quite well with doing fire i.e. have wicks at the end.

at the end of the day it'll be your staff and you'll spin it in a style which you enjoy but to be honest unless you've trained in marshal arts for many years you'll never be able to uses that staff the way it was designed for

Maybe I should change this too something abit nicer, humm no I still think your all Ccensoredt

Ariadmember
66 posts

Posted:
I'm learing karate a few years, but we almost never use staffs there (or anything).
All I can do is from training at home.
I saw vids of people doing things that I do with such a staff, so I think it will be suitable for me also (I hope, i dont want to waste 120$ :P)

nativeSILVER Member
sleeping with angels
508 posts

Posted:
get a askerma staff there pretty cheap and hold up great

3,149 posts

Posted:
i'd say a 50p broomstick is far more in keeping with the philosophy and origin of most martial arts. but i'm probably just a crazy tight-fisted monkey.

Ariadmember
66 posts

Posted:
I have a broomstick that I use, but its to heavy to move in a flashy way.
It's good only for killing people, I need a one that also looks great and moves fast smile

bpftilldeathnewbie
10 posts

Posted:
howdy peoples,

Im relatively new to HOP forums, so deal with me :P.

Im looking to buy a staff, well actually make one now after reading this thread. What other materials can be used apart from kevlar? Its a mission trying to find that stuff, and its bloody expensive too.

If anyone is in Hamilton and knows of where to get one etc, gimme a yell biggrin. Im getting bored of using the old broomstick, actually Iv got 2 now hehe someones gonna be missing a broomstick pretty soon. Its not quite the same unless its on fire.

Iv actually found the broomstick to be the best thing to learn on. Its easy to manipulate, doesnt hurt that much (liar) when you hit yourself, and you can always find another one! cool

...I scream without a sound...

loki.c1687SILVER Member
addict
546 posts

Posted:
go down to boots and get some face cloths dont bolt it just use wire to hold it to your staff it will last about 4 burns.
mike.c
28th nov manchester meet pic gardens 4ish

Rules and responsibities:
These are the ties that bind us.
We do what we do,because of who we are.
If we did otherwise,we would not be ourselves.
I will do what i have to do
And i will do what i must..

Page: