Page:
TuTuManBRONZE Member
Mushroom Fueled Frenzy
139 posts

Posted:
Steel cage filled with magnesium ribbons. =) ::runs to chemistry lab and yanks all magnesium::: Think about it, the brightest light you have ever seen, on poi heads... doing crazy circles. You would spin this like steel wool of course, nothing too complicated. What do you guys think?

::::does a little monkey man dance::::
You'll understand when you see his dancing feet

BirdGOLD Member
now available in "advanced"
6,086 posts

Posted:
mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

magnesium ribbon! that brings back memories!

My state of mind is not yours to define!

There is a very fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness."

MikeIconGOLD Member
Pooh-Bah
2,109 posts

Posted:
Bringeth the magnesium and cages and we shall spinneth it. smile

Let's turn those old bridges we crossed into ashes.
We'll blaze a new trail,
and torch the rough patches.

-Me

LurchBRONZE Member
old hand
929 posts

Posted:
You're going to need a tough cage... magnesium will just melt through chickenwire most likely

#homeofpoi -- irc.newnet.net Come talk to us we're bored frown

Warning: Please Do Not Jump On The Seals

TheWibblerGOLD Member
old hand
920 posts

Posted:
If you spin fire with magnesium ribbon you will almost certainly end up in hospital with serious burns. You now how bright it is right, that's because it is super fookin hot!!

Why not just use thermite? Then you'll definitely get to ride in an ambulance.

Spherculism ~:~ The Act of becoming Spherculish.

LurchBRONZE Member
old hand
929 posts

Posted:
Remember that you can't put out magnesium with water, it tends to go boom when you try things like that.

TuTuManBRONZE Member
Mushroom Fueled Frenzy
139 posts

Posted:
i think you are thinking of sodium

::::does a little monkey man dance::::
You'll understand when you see his dancing feet

(Sole)Sparkfixerupera of strangness maximus
147 posts

Posted:
well its a good idea in theory
in theory communism works
in theory
ubbloco
its just to powerful i think but would make a good video

yay up to 5 beat weave only 4 more to get to 9 :P

LurchBRONZE Member
old hand
929 posts

Posted:
Burning magnesium is hot enough to remove the oxygen from the water and burn it again. It burns at over 1300 degrees C

It may or may not go boom, but it will flare up and throw sparks if you try to put it out with water

fNiGOLD Member
master of disaster
3,354 posts

Posted:
actually, this thread brings back a chem experiment where my chem teacher turned up the flame a wee bit too high and we had a nice little fireworks explosion where the crucible the magnesium was in shattered then melted/fused to the table, though we were later able to remove it....

still trying to find more magnesium though biggrin

kyrian: I've felt your finger connect with me many times
lou kitten: sneaky little meatball..
ezz: please corrupt me more

LurchBRONZE Member
old hand
929 posts

Posted:
old Volkswagen engine block wink

Dragon7GOLD Member
addict
625 posts

Posted:
this thread is just totally mental, i cant believe the mods have let it stay up this long...

I think raining magnesium napalm is way beyond badass, its just stoopid. censored

spiralxveteran
1,376 posts

Posted:
Agreed.

"Moo," said the happy cow.

DurbsBRONZE Member
Classically British
5,689 posts

Posted:
Thirded smile

Burner of Toast
Spinner of poi
Slacker of enormous magnitude

grasshoppahBRONZE Member
HoP is teh suxor.
425 posts

Posted:
fourthded

Once in a while you get shown the light
in the strangest of places if you look at it right.

DuncGOLD Member
playing the days away
7,263 posts

Posted:
and fifthed.

Use sparklers instead as they look fuckin ace in wire wool cages, as everyone from last weekend will testify. Then you can change colours etc really simply with out blinding yourself/your audience or hurting anyone/thing.

Let's relight this forum ubblove

Tetzuoenewbie
5 posts

Posted:
you guys all have the wrong idea, ive been working with TuTu on this for a little bit, just thinking about the logistics mainly and i think that its a great idea. here is the deal

everyone is confused, we arent talking about a gigantic SOLID chunk of magneseum, good god thats ridiculously dangerous, youd melt your head. that would make an awesome video actually.... er... but anyway

we would use magnesium ribbon, which means the only super hot peice would be a point a few centimeters in diameter at the center of the poi.

around this ribbon would be (as i imagine it) two cages:

the inner cage to keep any large (still talking about centemeters of ribbon) peices of magneseum (in the event that the ribbon seperates) from flying out. this would be made from a screen material, maybe a bit more robust than screen door kinda stuff.

the second cage would be on the outside, this would be a large wire cage, something strong enough that the poi can be smacked around and not get ruined, possibly just wire soldered together.

the cage would be removable (to be worked out later) in such a way that it cant come off during a spin (get wacked in the head by a tennis ball size cage) opposite where the chain connects there would be some kind of clip, just an alligator clip or something to hold the ribbon

magneseum ribbon is sold at chemistry supply places. hobby stores and things like that, for the best burn (i think) it would be good to make it into a little spring.

TuTu, i have a spherical brass thing that i think is the perfect size, i stole it from a banister at borders a long long time ago (teenage antics) it would make a perfect model for wrapping the cages and wires and whatnot.
that or it could be a cylinder...

ubbrollsmile

the poi would look white, and it would not shoot sparks out like wool. should be actually really safe. it would just be fargain bright. thats why we have welding goggles =D

CodySILVER Member
That guy from Reno
556 posts

Posted:
Written by:

possibly just wire soldered together

Riiiiiiiiiiiiiight soldered wire will hold. eek Normal fire poi will distroy soldered wire cages.

How much magnesium ribbon are we talking about then? How long are you planning on these things burning?

Written by:

should be actually really safe

Might be cool, but not safe. One of those things you see on real TV.

Cody Canon
Controlled Burn, Reno Nevada

The Real Fryed FishGod's illgitament son
1,489 posts

Posted:
it just doesnt seem like its worth possible pain, but then again most people say that about regular fie poi, it all boils down to your best judgement.........but be safe if you do it, and get a video, 'casue we sont belive you unless we see it wink

You can't avoid pain by fencing yourself from it.
Some times you need the help of others more than anything else
But you have to let them close enough to help......
People want to be needed, I found that out too

Tetzuoenewbie
5 posts

Posted:
soldered wire will be fine, magneseum ribbon does reach a temperature of 3,100 K, which is far above and beyond the reqirements to solder something. but keep in mind that the cage around the poi is far away, i doubt that it will actually get hot at all. here is some magneseum ribbon:

https://www.theodoregray.com/PeriodicTable/Samples/012.6/index.s12.html

CodySILVER Member
That guy from Reno
556 posts

Posted:
Do me a favor, Test your cages with the magnesium without spinning them first. Just ly them on the gorund and light them. If what you say is right, they will burn brightly and your cage will stay intact and be perfectly ready for another try. This way if it does not work, you don't have solder, wire, and magnesium flinging everywhere.

Cody Canon
Controlled Burn, Reno Nevada

...{SAFE}..."if i jump in the fire, will you?"
633 posts

Posted:
well i think its a great idea , i wish i had thought of it ! i think that all you have to do is your homework ! and things should go the way you want them too ! do a few practice runs see what happens and then give it a whirl! awesome dude smile

i like breaking the Law frown , of Gravity wink !

*HyperLightBRONZE Member
old hand
1,174 posts

Posted:
Nononononono NO! Bad, bad, naughty Tutu and Tetz.. in the history of bad ideas, this is one of the worst. Sure it'd look pretty for a while, but if any of that stuff hits you, you're in serious trouble. Don't get me wrong - I've tried some pretty stupid things in my time, but this.. please promise me you won't give this a go? I've had a lump of regular wire wool land on my head, and believe me, shite-hot steel on yer noggin's not a pleasant experience. Magnesium ribbon will make a mess of you.. stick to regular steel wool PLEASE! umm

Cake or Death?

633 posts

Posted:
i agree ... thats a terrable idea tutu !!! stupid stupid , outragous things your saying !!!

(but it would look way cool smile )

nearly_all_goneSILVER Member
Pooh-Bah
1,626 posts

Posted:
It's a really great idea, I reckon, but there's no way any metal wire you could get would hold it. The magnesium would burn through it and fly out.

And what's this talk of solder?! I can melt solder with my desk lamp that I can also touch without getting burnt. Solder=silly. Are you talking about welding something, maybe? That would make more sense...

And the cage WILL get hot - when a very tiny peice of magnesium was burnt in my chemistry class I could feel the heat from about 10 feet away! It's totally up to you, of course, but be really careful. Fire is one thing but burning magnesium is quite another.

What a wonderful miracle if only we could look through each other's eyes for an instant.
Thoreau

Tetzuoenewbie
5 posts

Posted:
hm, true to be honest i havent worked with magneseum in awihle, but i dont think it would seriosuly damage an alligator clip. by solder i mean weld. sorry for the confusion.

Tetzuoenewbie
5 posts

Posted:
to repsond to the concern about flying magneseum the ribbon burns very nicely, its a slow steady burn with only really the tip of the magneseum burning, i mean testing will be done extensivley, but the first of the two cages is to prevent a dislodged peice of magneseum from flying out and away.
at any rate now that the planning has gone this far, and there is considerable doubt... we absolutley have to do this. we will definatley get videos but right now its my favorite part of the project. finding parts.

633 posts

Posted:
iron , i think it'll have to be and iron cage! like serious iron , like raught iron stong , like the iron that keeps railway sleepers together ! if you can do that and then make it spiral down around the mag. strip , it may work ??? you never know .

*realy intreagued by the idea*

nativeSILVER Member
sleeping with angels
508 posts

Posted:
how hot would it burn???

SLEEP WITH ANGELS muckieha

MiGGOLD Member
Self-Flagellation Expert
3,414 posts

Posted:
Flame temperatures of magnesium and magnesium alloys can reach 1,371
degrees C (2,500 degrees F)
(www.eh.doe.gov/techstds/standard/hdbk1081/hbk1081c.html)

Now, human skin, i think, burns at about 55-60 degrees C, from looong ago memories of biology.

"beg beg grovel beg grovel"
"master"
--FSA

"There was an arse there, i couldn't help myself"
--Rougie

andythepoiaddict
508 posts

Posted:
Darwin award waiting to happen!

It's smashing to be back x

Page: