Forums > Social Chat > What/Who made you to start poi?

Login/Join to Participate
Page: ...
VixenSILVER Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,276 posts

Posted:
I think the topic name pretty much says it all..... my experience was last year at reading festival.... i saw 2 girls spinning poi randomly and asked them about it... they wrote the HOP website address on my arm..... and then i was hooked! (if your out there let me know who you are, id love to thank you!!!)

tHeReS gOoD aNd EvIl iN EaCh InDiViDuAl fIrE, iDeNtIfIeS nEeDs AnD fEeDs OuR dEsIrEs.

artindorilmember
117 posts

Posted:
I started spinning poi, after I met my current gf at a juggling club when I was spinning fire. I started spinning poi so that we had something in common so I could get to know her better.

LMSPBRONZE Member
veteran
1,588 posts

Posted:
I saw a vid of my sis (Tink) spinning and I thought "THAT is SOOOOOOO purdy!"

The end ubblol

Pogo69SILVER Member
there's no charge for awesomeness... or attractiveness
3,764 posts

Posted:
well... I started with staff back @ the end of april after the easter weekend, having been to my first moonfest...

just started getting the hang of a bunch of things, bought a contact staff and had just begun trying some contact staff when I decided to give poi a go...

I'd owned sock poi since that 1st weekend (went home and made them the day after that first moonfest), but hadn't had the inclination to use them... then a lil while back, 6-8 weeks maybe (?) I figured I'd finally give it a go... taught myself a couple things in the following couple days and have barely touched the staff since

--pogo (pat) [forever and always]

Bek66Future Mrs Pogo
4,728 posts

Posted:
While participating in the planning of PPD, I found out that we were having a fire spinner for part of opening ritual.

It was like someone grabbed me and said, 'Hellooooo!!! you need to try this.' Made my first set the next day and have been practicing self abuse ever since.

biggrin weavesmiley biggrin

"Absence is to love what wind is to fire...it extinguishes the small, enkindles the great."
--Comte Debussy-Rebutin

DarkFyreBRONZE Member
HoP mage and keeper of the fireballs
1,965 posts

Posted:
A Friend of mine demanded that i hand over my shoe laces. Then he tied them to some glow sticks. Then I was hooked. bounce bounce2 weavesmiley bounce2 bounce

May my balls of fire set your balls on fire devil

spinningstarletSILVER Member
enthusiast
271 posts

Posted:
funny, but the last time i demanded someone hand over their shoelaces to me, i was met with a lot of questions, confused look, and just point blank refusal.

frown

JTSpinnerSILVER Member
Learnin About Burnin
385 posts

Posted:
Looking for information on Fire Spinning for a Luau next July and ended up at Home of Poi and now here I are. wink hehe wink

I may be crazy but I ain't stupid

Life is to short to waste it on stupidity

GitasGuyPooh-Bah
2,303 posts

Posted:
 Written by: Pogo69

well... I started with staff back @ the end of april after the easter weekend, having been to my first moonfest...

just started getting the hang of a bunch of things, bought a contact staff and had just begun trying some contact staff when I decided to give poi a go...

I'd owned sock poi since that 1st weekend (went home and made them the day after that first moonfest), but hadn't had the inclination to use them... then a lil while back, 6-8 weeks maybe (?) I figured I'd finally give it a go... taught myself a couple things in the following couple days and have barely touched the staff since

Traiter..... I am a staffer!!! But have picked up poi sort of in the last 3 weeks i guess. Don't really have a reason just like the pain associated with smacking myself in the groin i guess!!! ubbloco ubbrollsmile

:admires giant wooden aeroplane: Its about time trees were good for something, instead of just standing their like jerks!!! ubblol ubbtickled

Homer rocks!!!! ubblol ubbrollsmile

Firetrampold hand
898 posts

Posted:
I was staying in a hostel in New Zealand and a guy who was also staying there, gave a poi workshop. I was immediately hooked (and bruised).

Ask a question and be a fool for a minute...don't ask and be a fool your whole life.

Mr MajestikSILVER Member
coming to a country near you
4,696 posts

Posted:
i slipped.

"but have you considered there is more to life than your eyelids?"

jointly owned by Fire_Spinning_Angel and Blu_Valley

ragdollnewbie
3 posts

Posted:
For me it was walking down Grafton Street and thinking that I could do it, and my mother of course telling me I couldn't so I am proving to myself and my family that I can do it.... I just have to learn Fire poi properly!!!

I want to go home - home to Balbriggan, home to my friends to feel complete once more!

FireTomStargazer
6,650 posts

Posted:
I was at Byron Bay's Main Beach Park, when I saww firedancers for the first time. I was completely mesmerized by flames, sound and drums and it was just a few days later, some people showed up at the hostel I stayed at, to give a workshop. Initially I thought: I'm never ever gonna get this (and I was right... wink ) spent the first year or so, teaching myself... Since then I returned to Byron a few times and every time I had the luck to arrive - after the long drive up from Sydney - when people were spinning right there.

So basically it was the fire and it's spirit that caught me.

Unfortunately it didn't quite improve my health...

the best smiles are the ones you lead to wink

kitilixBRONZE Member
33 posts

Posted:
I saw 2 girls stood on a caravan roof at a Radio 1 dance party in Newquay in 2000, i just stood there amazed and didn't really take much notice of the dance party after that. biggrin But didn't start spinning till about 6 months ago, I hadn't a clue where to get them from or what to do confused and then I came across the name (POI) and googled it! I'm totally obsessed, I luv it!!! ubblove

The only problem is i've self taught with the help of DVD's and so could use some fellow spinners for tips!!! ubbloco Kiti

By the powers of greyskull!!!!!

Nonkymember
44 posts

Posted:
Glastonbury Festival- In the green fields, severely enjoying the moment.

Then the fire spinners started and the night turned amazing! I bought some practice poi and played around with them now and agin. About 6 months ago I bought some fire poi and now I am a bit obssessed.It's hard trying to teach myself though. I also bought some Fire Staff recently but have yet to even try them!! smile

KittyKillenthusiast
365 posts

Posted:
A lovely woman was doing it at my school and she let me try and like most was hooked ^_^
EDITED_BY: KittyKill (1158350915)

Have you ever notice that poi is spelled backwords on the key board.............................................creepycool

teeny_tiny_gnomeMember
28 posts

Posted:
Glastonbury festival is indeed the place to be to learn poi! i learnt at college in between breaks, then picked up (and taught) people tricks at various diff festies ive been to

The love shack is a little ol place where we can get together.....

Mr MajestikSILVER Member
4,696 posts

Posted:
i wqas forced at gunpoint when i was 5

faith enfireBRONZE Member
wandering thru the woods of WI
3,556 posts

Posted:
i just saw it around and then saw the pictures online and found out there was a name and group and directions

Faith
Nay, whatever comes one hour was sunlit and the most high gods may not make boast of any better thing than to have watched that hour as it passed

Kathain_BowenGood Ol' Yarn For Hair
422 posts

Posted:
 Written by: Mr Majestik

i wqas forced at gunpoint when i was 5

.... by hideous squid monsters?

Ok, so this is going to sound really lame. I was channel surfing about ten years ago and saw this awards ceremony. Madonna was performing some song and, in the middle of it, this guy came out and spun poi. He was hot; I was young and hormone driven. The obsession was born. Lame, but true.

"So long and thanks for all the fish."

UnclassifiedLeggyGirlBRONZE Member
One day penguins will take over the world
916 posts

Posted:
redface my story isnt as fun as all of yours sound, but a mate of mine spins (and is brilliant, might i add) and i was just sat in the corner watching him practise, so he came over to me and asked if i wanted to try, so i did, and then he bought me poi (which i lost before i even got to try them).

ummmm...........anybody have any suggestions as to what i can put here?!

mjk is monitoring your interwebs!

acidchildBRONZE Member
117 posts

Posted:
I saw a friend of mine from high school do some poi at her graduation party. After wards she made a mention of this site. Then after getting into the club and rave scean, I started doing glowsticking/ stringing. then remeberd this site and now here I am. Just too bad I lost contact with her years ago.

Too many secerets are locked in side your minds, but your all equal in life, equal in love. your all building castels in the sky dreaming of a better world.

Lost83spyBRONZE Member
Out! Out! You demons of stupidity!
587 posts

Posted:
JonnyRok taught me. I went on a camp with him last year, but I never seemed to be as interested as he was. After being introduced to HoP and watching him spin fire a few times, I was drawn and decided to buy my own poi. I'm now officially hooked, and JonnyRok educates me everyday on new moves. Thanks J for changing my life and being the best friend I could ever ask for!

It may be your sole purpose in life to serve as a warning to others

Founder and Official leader of the Curby Clan

*Owner of Brenn*

Mr MajestikSILVER Member
4,696 posts

Posted:
 Written by: Kathain_Bowen

Written by: Mr Majestik

i was forced at gunpoint when i was 5

.... by hideous squid monsters?

no, by big hideous guns holding knives.....

Page: ...