Forums > Social Chat > Whats the longest you've....

Login/Join to Participate
Page:
TwirlyVicnorthern monkey
235 posts

Posted:
ever stuck at one hobby or recreation? I know everyone has spun for some time, but i'm interested in what you did before this. Did it influence ur style or descision between staff/poi or both?

I did irish dancing for 12 years until i realised it was totally uncool and highly embaressing. Okay so i could say "hi, i got to the world finals" but everyone would be like "aye, in that fookin lord of the dance shite..."

i also figure skated for ten years, this has defintly helped me when chucking my staff under my legs

ex-hop-aholic, now inconsistent lurker...

MikeGinnyGOLD Member
HOP Mad Doctor
13,925 posts

Posted:
You know, while it's impressive to stick with a hobby for a long time, I think it's also impressive if you are constantly trying new things. That's the difference between youth and old age in my opinion: a young person is always trying new things, whether at age 25, 50, or 75. An old person gets comfy and doesn't do anything new, whether at age 25, 50, or 75.

I plan on being young as long as I live.

Peace.

-Mike

Certified Mad Doctor and HoP High Priest of Nutella

A buckuht n a hooze! -Valura

adren@linemember
249 posts

Posted:
ok, things i have done: ballet, irish dancing, netball, hockey, tennis
things i still do: gymnastics (since i was 4)
fire twirling
acrobatics
juggling
hula hoop and
rockclimbing
TADA!!! by the way, everyone here is very impressive!!

arsnHow do you change this thing???
1,903 posts

Posted:
I sat on my butt for about two years... I got pretty damn good at it as well... had the sofa just right... hugged my body and all...

--------------------------------------------------------

"Ha, I laugh in the face of danger... and then I hide until it's gone..."

I can't hear you... I have a banana in my ear.

"You mean I'll have to use my brain?... but I use staff!!!" ~ ben-ja-men

MikeGinnyGOLD Member
HOP Mad Doctor
13,925 posts

Posted:
Adren,

I agree that everyone here is very impressive! I hope you didn't get the impression that I think otherwise!

Peace.

-Mike

Certified Mad Doctor and HoP High Priest of Nutella

A buckuht n a hooze! -Valura

TwirlyVicnorthern monkey
235 posts

Posted:
i agree with adrenaline, you guys are starting to annoy me cos u do all these cool things that i havent!!

thanks goodness i have all summer to practice them

mehehehe!

vic xx

NYCNYC
9,232 posts

Posted:
Wow, I don't really have any long term hobbies and never realized it until now.

*Scratches head and tries to psychoanalyze self*

Nope, nothing.

Well, shall we go?
Yes, let's go.
[They do not move.]

arashiPooh-Bah
2,364 posts

Posted:
well, 7 yrs ago bullwhips and fireblowing started me off, then came poi. b4 that i was an art installation sculptor and metal caster/welder fro about 5 yrs. in fact i still consider myself mainly a sculptor, as i still incorporate it into shows (making puppets). also have done taichi 3yrs. piano/bass guitar/ (and some hand drum) 8 yrs, puppets 7 yrs, massage, drawing, pantomime, writing. and nookie! that's the main stuff, stuff i would say i'm good at . but i have been way too jack-of-all-trades most of my life, and piano and chains and bullwhips are the things i have focused on/ been most disciplined about. and i stopped playing piano about 5 yrs ago due to tendonitis. i ice skated for a little while, incedentally. not enough to do cool spins and all, but i could skate around that circle REAL purty-like! backerds even. oh and i used to OWN spelling bees as a kid! won every time!

-Such a price the gods exact for song: to become what we sing
-Seek freedom and become captive of your desires. Seek discipline and find your liberty.
-When the center of the storm does not move, you are in its path.

bebhinnmember
18 posts

Posted:
wow... people doing irish dancing.
That's so odd.
Are any of you actually irish?
You may be able to guess from the name, but i am actually irish, and have never gone anywhere near that form of dance. Looks way too much like you're a piece of wood (body), with 2 pieces of spaghetti attached (legs)

But i did di ballet for ages till i broke my anke, same story with gymnastics, 11 years violin,8 years swimming, brownies (??), soccer, if i think of anything else....

oh, and art too.

I was one of those kids whose mothers ferried them around to things all the time

...that's not flying, it's falling, with style...

TwirlyVicnorthern monkey
235 posts

Posted:
hiya, no i'm not irish i just had an insane father who was scottish, refused to let me do scottish dancing (reckoned it was devil dancing) and said i could do irish cos it was good for women( kept their hands out of the way and out of trouble) Good man that man.

i was in the brownies, guides and bloody rangers. How sad is that??!! got loads of free stuff and tons of educational qualifications though so am qualified to take workshops and still have four months left of group insurance!

my mom never used to ferry me around (gets out violin) i was always the kid who had to ask someone else for a lift to competitions. I think my mom took me to one though but it was at the end of the street!!

vic xx

xtremravr...was here..member
337 posts

Posted:
hobbies eh?...welli played baseball for a few years..ummmm...i have been smokin weed since i was 11!! dont know if that counts as a hobby, but maybe cigar rolling would be concidered a hobby..right?.. and i have been spinning poi for about 5 months, and staff about 2-3 weeks

Peace Luv Uni-t Respect Responsa-what?!?! Xtrem

UnclassifiedLeggyGirlBRONZE Member
One day penguins will take over the world
916 posts

Posted:
i studied tae qwon do for 4 years, until an injury and had to stop. besides from that i ahvent really done that much. oh wait, yeah, ive been doing drama for about 7 years now, does that count?!

ummmm...........anybody have any suggestions as to what i can put here?!

mjk is monitoring your interwebs!

Neon_ShaolinGOLD Member
hehe, 'Member' huhuh
6,120 posts

Posted:
I've been doodling, drawing and arty stuff for about 22 years since I was 4...

"I used to want to change the world, now I just wanna leave the room with a little dignity..." - Lotus Weinstock

spinningstarletSILVER Member
enthusiast
271 posts

Posted:
i did ballet for *thinks* 10 years, more or less, but i have problems with my joints because of it (by joints i mean sholders, knees, etc wink)
i have hyperflexibility and its all painfull and stuff. but it is usefull for poi in rythem and movement i guess.

I play Bass guitar, guitar, a little bit of drums, flute and panpipes. Mostly bass tho. i am learning to DJ a little bit, a couple of friends are teaching me. i used to do a lot of art, and customise clothes etc.

I suppose working at the pub is a hobby too. it's my seccond job and i love working there. i'm not sure how that helps with poi tho smile

Sambo_FluxGOLD Member
Introverted
833 posts

Posted:
Did gymnastics for 11 years, and I've been making music in various forms since I was about 13, which I'm still doing. Juggling for about 6 years, Poi for just over a year now. Playing games since I was 7 or 8 on my Dads BBC Micro, although Poi has pretty much displaced that now biggrin

My Mind is a Ship
Emotions become the Waves
Soul is the Ocean

If a quizz is quizzical, what is a test?

FlamezBRONZE Member
56 posts

Posted:
I have been diving for the last 15 years. Scuba diving and snorkling.

Can anyone please tell me how that could have had an impact on my poi??

water - fire

ummm, well that is two hobbies you can never mix!

"My mind not only wanders, sometimes it leaves completely."

"Insanity is my only means of relaxation."

Pogo69SILVER Member
there's no charge for awesomeness... or attractiveness
3,764 posts

Posted:
played the guitar on/off for 25 years... but not sure it counts, cos I barely played for a 10 year period up until about 6 months ago...

--pogo (pat) [forever and always]

Rouge DragonBRONZE Member
Insert Champagne Here
13,215 posts

Posted:
I have a short attention span redface

i would have changed ***** to phallus, and claire to petey Petey

Rougie: but that's what I'm doing here
Arnwyn: what letting me adjust myself in your room?..don't you dare quote that on HoP...

Pogo69SILVER Member
there's no charge for awesomeness... or attractiveness
3,764 posts

Posted:
same here, rougie... for everything but the guitar... so, I'm pretty sure your equivalent is out there somewhere... hug

--pogo (pat) [forever and always]

Hanzveteran
1,328 posts

Posted:
I've been singing with the local towns choir since 1997, and this year will be my last due to moving to rovers which is a Wednesday night.

I've been in scouting since 1997, and been through cubs, scouts, Venturers and now joining Rovers (as well as being a leader) so I plan on sticking by this for MUCH longer.

Choir had nothing to do with me and poi, scouting however, was the thing that introduced me to staff and poi and all that stuff... so strong connection I'd say

[Nx?]BRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,749 posts

Posted:
HOW OLD IS THIS THREAD???

thers cantus on here saying hes only been doing staff for a year! like, WHAT!!!

I wrote poetry for about 5 years, but gave it up after doing a course in writing for perfomance (money well spent)

T wave

This is a post by tom, all spelling is deleberate
-><- Kallisti

Firetrampold hand
898 posts

Posted:
I did ballet for seven years until I tore my ligaments on a ski trip. Started poi five years ago.

Ask a question and be a fool for a minute...don't ask and be a fool your whole life.

Lost83spyBRONZE Member
Out! Out! You demons of stupidity!
587 posts

Posted:
I played hockey for 6 years. I was pretty good at it and wanted to go pro. But after quite a few injuries I just stopped playing. Trying to get back into it though...

It may be your sole purpose in life to serve as a warning to others

Founder and Official leader of the Curby Clan

*Owner of Brenn*

FireTomStargazer
6,650 posts

Posted:
I was also mislead by the title.... wink *giggles*... thought it was a girls thread and already wondered about the "PG rating"... but maybe this is due to my (currently) corrupted mind...

"ever stuck at one hobby or recreation?" ... does sex, drugs and chillout count? umm

@ Nx?: The thread is about 4 years old: Yay for those who do a search, or revive their favourite threads smile

the best smiles are the ones you lead to wink

BamBamPooh-Bah
1,810 posts

Posted:
I did Judo for about 10 or 11 years ... then I found out there was more to life smile

I've tried to go back to it a few times, but found that the clubs near me were just full of big men who wanted to show how tough they were by hammering a 8st (when wet) girl.

Shame really as it was a great tension buster.......

xx

A kiss blown is a kiss wasted, the only kind of kiss is a kiss tasted.

I'm a woman. We don't say what we want, but we reserve the right to be pissed off if we don't get it. That's what makes us so fascinating and not just a LITTLE bit scary.

MynciBRONZE Member
Macaque of all trades
8,738 posts

Posted:
I did rugby for 15 years (longer than some Hoppers have been alive ubblol )

and athletics for 10 years.

Oh and I have been ping ponging for about 15 years to wink

A couple of balls short of a full cascade... or maybe a few cards short of a deck... we'll see how this all fans out.

Page: