Forums > Social Chat > Are you a dancer or spinner?

Login/Join to Participate
Page:
SpiralOolering Man
729 posts

Posted:
righty ho peeps, here's the question, are you a firedancer, or a firespinner?personally I like to desribe myself as a fire dancer grin grin grin grin------------------Trance the sacred spiral dance.Love and LightSpiral

phunkyold hand
877 posts

Posted:
Can i be both depending on the situation?------------------[]Dhuong-Vu Truong== []Dro Spinner ====== []Dhunky ===

NightRunnermember
20 posts

Posted:
Dancer, totally, all the way. Even if there's no music when I'm spinning or practicing, I'm hearing it in my head and dancing to it. wink

pozeeBRONZE Member
old hand
887 posts

Posted:
definately a dancer...

anyone got a light?

SupaflyBRONZE Member
TNT
173 posts

Posted:
I'm a dancer who likes to spin fire.

Fear the evil monkey!

Zoharmember
11 posts

Posted:
I guess we're all just Firedanspinners...

Zohar

CassandraFroggie ... Ribbit !!!
4,224 posts

Posted:
My heart, body and soul are passionately in love with dancing and fire dancing around me makes it even better.Hoping one day it'll look as one whole thing in harmony ... in the meantime I am definitely enjoying myself smile There was a thread about that a while ago (like june or something) can't seem to find it but I remember some very interesting things being said by pele and Josh among others... anybody remember what i am talking about ?Shine onCassandra

"I want brown bread... no, that is diesel oil..."
"So I was raised in Europe, where History comes from ..."
"NON !!! La Plume de mon oncle n est pas Bingibangibungi !!!"

glowshowmember
406 posts

Posted:
I'm not much of a dancer, but I am a very good fire dancer. I have a better groove, and can throw my whole body into it, when I spin.

FREE TIBET!!! (with the purchase of a 44 oz. drink)What do you want to be when you grow up?I want to be a kid again!I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I am not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.~~~J~~~

TomSILVER Member
135 posts

Posted:
My spinning motions have crept into my dancing, and movement has entered my spinning, so now its just a mix and confusion.Works better that way anyhow..Tom

SickpuPpyNinja Rockstar!
1,100 posts

Posted:
I come from the martial arts brand of spinning, so when I spin it looks like I'm out for blood. Anything that looks like dancing is coincidental.

Jesus helps me trick people.

claremember
82 posts

Posted:
weeeell.... i'm a twirler. which just sounds funny.but its the only term ive heard people round my way use

Gabrielmember
13 posts

Posted:
I refer to the art as fire dancing...and I can definately see a difference between the people who came into spinning as a form of dance, the people who came into as a form of porformence, and the people who see it as a skill. I figure all those things can be combined...but in my troupe there were modles and musicians, and dancers. The dancers flowed more...more body...less posing. I figure I'm a self flattering fire-dancer.

How much junk could a ninja chuck if a ninja could chuck junk with nunchucks?

MrConfusedBRONZE Member
addict
529 posts

Posted:
I guess I'm the opposite to glowshow - I'm a dancer, not a fire dancer. I think it's because my style of dancing really doesn't translate well to fire spinning. Having said that, I'm finding poi moves creeping into my dancing.On a bit of a tangent, does anyone find it difficult to adjust from fire spinning (dancing, whatever) to regular dancing? I quite often take my comets clubbing to use when it's not too busy, but when things get a bit crowded and I'm forced to put them away, it seems to take me a (compartiviely) long time to adjust to dancing normally.J

If you're not confused, you're not thinking about things hard enough.

SpiralOolering Man
729 posts

Posted:
I find I start moving my hands like I've still got poi in them sometimes grin grin grin grin------------------Trance the sacred spiral dance.Love and LightSpiral

carnelian angelmember
31 posts

Posted:
firedancer, definitely....more of the moves i use with trailing torches/fire fans seem to find their way onto the dancefloor with me, it was just a natural progression...

M@TTmember
34 posts

Posted:
Firedancer to anyone who asks, and anyone I tell. Definitely firedancer------------------ -M@TTKeep the fire burning.

-M@TTKeep the fire burning.

GlowWormBRONZE Member
84 posts

Posted:
DANCER!! All the way!! I found it a bit difficultin, the beginning, to dance and spin at the same time, but i started to relax, and let the music take over, and it just kinda did itself!!Peace out------------------ColesId love to be a glow-wormCuz a glow-worm's never glumIt's hard to be downheartedWhen a light shines out your bum

Coles
Id love to be a glow-worm
Cuz a glow-worm's never glum
It's hard to be downhearted
When a light shines out your bum

Bender_the_OffenderGOLD Member
still can't believe it's not butter
6,978 posts

Posted:
I've only heard the term Fire Twirling. Maybe it's because (as Paul Keating put it) we're the at "ass-end" of the world. I thought it could just ahve been in Victoria, but from what Clare sez, it seems that all aussie twirlers are freaks then, by world standards.In terms of style, Sickpuppy has described my 'brand' also."This is part of the Twirling way that we will teach you. Some thoughts have a certain sound... that being the equivalent to a form. Through sound and motion you will be able to ...set fires,..."- Muad'Dib

Laugh Often, Smile Much, Post lolcats Always

CantusSILVER Member
Tantamount to fatuity
15,966 posts

Posted:
I don't know Spiral. You've seen me spin more than I have, you tell me.

Meh

Twirl'N'BurnBooojakasha
121 posts

Posted:
Me I spin !! My body may dance as a result but I only spin the fire and let everything else fall into place.

Simply an excuse to play with fire.

SCI FImember
21 posts

Posted:
i feel there is a dance to every move - i cant spin without dancing - that just comes natural for me------------------It's a burning FaYa

It's a burning FaYa

KatincaSee my vest.... see my vest...
693 posts

Posted:
*Kate rears her head after months of lurking, no more like working. Too much work and not enough HOP..*I dance. I dance and dance and dance and dance.With or without poi..I just flit around doing my own little creative dances. I get some weird looks sometimes. I guess I do some weird dances sometimes??Although sometimes when I am training or practicing a new move I guess it can be seen as spinning, since I am repeating the same move over and over again to perfect it, or get tired with it and throw down my equipment and sulk. Happens at times...Love and Light(been gone for a while)------------------ ~*~ Katinca ~*~

Love and Light

~*~ Katinca ~*~

SpiralOolering Man
729 posts

Posted:
I'd have to agree, I dance, and I suppose it doesn't make any differenceIF I've got poi or staff at the time, its all just different expressions of the same thing grin grin grin------------------Trance the sacred spiral dance.Love and LightSpiral

SpiralOolering Man
729 posts

Posted:
Cantus, my brother, you know full well what you do... who else would wardance, spear in hand with me? grin grin grin (snd no we dont stil throw them at each other)------------------Trance the sacred spiral dance.Love and LightSpiral

TheBovrilMonkeySILVER Member
Liquid Cow
2,629 posts

Posted:
I'm most certainly a spinner, I have almost no co-ordination in my legs, so until I've managed to build some up I can't manage more than a few turns while spinning.------------------We've got a blind date with destiny and it looks like she's ordered the lobster!

But there's no sense crying over every mistake. You just keep on trying till you run out of cake.

dibs_starmember
603 posts

Posted:
sometimes I dance. Sometimes my lower body is static - I stand, eyes closed and listen to the flame. Depends what mood I'm in though. Being a dancer in general - I guess I'll have to go along with that.

Can miles truly separate us from friends? If we want to be with someone we love aren't we already there? If there is someone willing to show, and there is someone willing to see; magic happens. This is whem humans are alive. This is when the wingless fly.

dacieymember
7 posts

Posted:
im a dancer you like hear the mucis and away u go groving to the sound while u r spinning thow it pays to have sorted the move first when i first started out i tryed to dance with my fire pois got hit in the head the to many times im sure i damaged so brain cells doing it. [This message has been edited by daciey (edited 27 March 2002).]

CantusSILVER Member
Tantamount to fatuity
15,966 posts

Posted:
*feels proud to have initiated Spiral in to wonders of staff spinning*Another convert for the cause. grin[This message has been edited by Cantus (edited 27 March 2002).]

Meh

SpiralOolering Man
729 posts

Posted:
Hey, cantus, I made myself a really nice staff out of the mophandle in our cleaning cupboard - Had to take the mop head off though! grin grin grin grin------------------Trance the sacred spiral dance.Love and LightSpiral

CantusSILVER Member
Tantamount to fatuity
15,966 posts

Posted:
The cleaners are going to be pissed off with you. They'll go and find someone elses kitchen to smoke in and they'll only eat some of Mark's biscuits.

Meh

KatincaSee my vest.... see my vest...
693 posts

Posted:
So Spiral,Gonna take up Poi?Might have to go for a dig to find them in the Backyard. Better ask Cantus where he hid them.------------------ ~*~ Katinca ~*~

Love and Light

~*~ Katinca ~*~

Page: