nunchukamember
2 posts

Posted:
i have been knunchuking for almost 13 years, a few years ago i saw this dude on the roof of my dorm twirling bits of fire, naturally i was intriged. i asked if i could try and he started to hand them to me and instruct me in the process of the basics. without hesitation i began knunchuking (hence forth "chukin" or "chuks" etc) he took a step back and said have you swung poi before? i said whats poi. he inducted me on the spot into his troupe of fire dancers called the fire monkeys. thats when i noticed he had a staff with wick on the ends. since his staff and my chuks are the exact same diameter i saw no reason why i couldnt wrap my chuks. and a new art was born.... i think, the other monkeys were quite impressed with the display of four points of light instead of two. infact because of the remarkable similarities in the two arts they were able to learn in minutes what took me years to perfect. by no means were they going to give up poi just add to their skills, as did i. my teacher and friend fuzzy scott said i learned basic poi in nothing flat and some more complex stuff in days... well any way thats the story of my begining so here's my question, have any one on this bb ever seen another fire chuker and if you say berkeley california... that was me!!! as far as i know i am the only one.

ps i like typing poi, its so easy poipoipoipoipoipoipoipoipoipoipoipoipoipoipoi

DeepSoulSheepGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
2,617 posts

Posted:
I've not seen it no. Most people are aware that there is a cross over of skills and physics though. On Col 2 DJ Dantana uses nun-chuckas.

Several people tie different colour glow sticks on both ends of string and use nunchuka moves to swap between the 2 colours.

There are several other weapons whose physics are similar to poi and staff such as meteor, rope dart, swords and other mad stuff I don't know about....like whips and 3 piece staffs and stuff.

Double staff has 4 balls of fire like your fire chuck except all are moving at a time.

Your idea idea is impressive though... smile

I live in a world of infinite possibilities.

DurbsBRONZE Member
Classically British
5,689 posts

Posted:
I've seen it done before with fire - I can't say I was that impressed, although this is probably as the person spinning them had about 4 moves, stole our fuel without asking and joined us on stage without asking mad

However - I have seen some really good 'chuckers so I know the potential is there.

Are you trained in them as part of a martial art or is it just something you've been playing with for a few years?

Burner of Toast
Spinner of poi
Slacker of enormous magnitude

MillenniuMPLATINUM Member
Hyperloops suck
595 posts

Posted:
There's a guy in my town that does fire chucks, and he's absolutely amazing. He's amazing at poi, staff, chuks, meteors, whips, everything... but his chuks blow my mind. He has extra long chuks with kevlar wrapped around the "extra long" part, and he uses two pairs of chuks most of the time. Insane wraps coupled with great acrobatics makes fire chuks quite impressive smile

DJ DantanaBRONZE Member
veteran
1,495 posts

Posted:
I have found it is extreamly fun to throw them in the air while spinning them. Under the arm, behind the back, catch it under the leg, you know, whatever suits you. ubbrollsmile

we eat and we drink and we smoke and we try!

Mr Handsmember
64 posts

Posted:
Sounds groovesome, I imagine it's quite a spectacle. only I have a distinct loathing of Nunchuku after witnessing an experienced friend of mine destroy his face (broken jaw and cheek, not pretty) after some fools decided to provocatively distract him in mid 'chukking'. Lets not forget its a weapon now... very scary poo poo...

DJ DantanaBRONZE Member
veteran
1,495 posts

Posted:
I gave myself a black eye because I was double chucking extreamly drunkl on tekillya

frown

yes, very dangerouse in the wrong hands. My first sensei cut his hand badly because he was juggling kamas (sharp ones) and somone yelled his name. He looked over, and SLICE!

we eat and we drink and we smoke and we try!

certifiedloonSILVER Member
29 posts

Posted:
poi is a whole load of fun to type, I realised today that its really easy!

poipoipoipoipoi like drumming your fingers poi poi poi poipoipoipoipoi!!!

lots of people have asked if I can do chucks after seeing me do poi - gonna have to get me a pair!

WintermuteLost in the world but loving it :)
119 posts

Posted:
Yah I made myself a pair on nunchaku after realising that I could do like 80% of my poi moves with them, looks pretty god damn swanky wink

If fishes were wishes we'd all cast nets

giftedweaselBRONZE Member
47 posts

Posted:
I've just started chukin' they're odd, the easier poi moves look way better (hyperloops look like you've made a mistake)

GiftedWeasel

Sambo_FluxGOLD Member
Introverted
833 posts

Posted:
Check out Robnunchucks video Ninja Fire Toys on Google video. It's mental!

My Mind is a Ship
Emotions become the Waves
Soul is the Ocean

If a quizz is quizzical, what is a test?

EnryoPLATINUM Member
9 posts

Posted:
Wicked!!! I've bee spinning fire chucks for about 2 years and never found anyone else who does em. They're sooo much fun. Personally though I really don't like using 2 sets because then it's too much like poi. 1 set though lets you do some pretty crazy wraps and moves. Just a question though, does anyone know how you could make each end burn a different color? The problem I"ve had is finding something that is soluble in kerosene (I found white gas burns too hot). Any ideas?

simtaBRONZE Member
compfuzzled
1,182 posts

Posted:
if u checkout this video from last yrs uberparis thing, theres a guy on there using nunchucks as poi doing some really nice little throws n stuff

https://kooothor.free.fr/videos/uber.french.video.avi

"the geeks have got you" - Gayle

Trentnewbie
5 posts

Posted:
thanks wink

jaeroSILVER Member
your new best enemy
246 posts

Posted:
I use fire nunchucks, sometimes I'll use one pair of nunchucks and one poi, which tends to really raise a scene. if you've ever compared poi to nunchucks very closely, they move very differently from eachother. in order to use a poi at the same time as nunchucks, you have to use the open hand technique. which is where you roll the nunchucks over the back of your hand via the chain. otherwise, some burning of the hands can take place. just involving the open hand technique changes the nunchuck into a completely different monster than poi. nunchucks are ever changing in their momentum and speed. much moreso than poi. true, it is possible to use nunchucks like poi, but then again, you can use a shovel like a sword.

I'll get there too late if I shorten my stride, I'll get there too soon if I find me a ride, I'll never move forward if I try to hide this path that I've troden one step at a time.

APDocnewbie
9 posts

Posted:
I did nunchaku for a really long time and then recently picked them up to try poi moves. It's pretty fun, but they feel really limited because of how short they are. I like the idea of nunchaku with fire, though.