Forums > Advanced Poi Moves > a few bits of fun perchance...

Login/Join to Participate
Page:
bluecatgeek, level 1
5,300 posts

Posted:
morning.

I quite enjoyed writing out contact staff moves over [Old link] so I thought I’d have a go at some poi moves that are not in widespread circulation…..enjoy.

if you’ve problems and are in London, print this off(it’ll make no sense if not cause I’m making up names…), go to see bams about the matrix(girls do it better than boys y’know), cole about the notcoleman5, and well, cole for any of the rest of them too ubblol

if you're not in london... then pm cole to make a video, or ask me for clarification and i'll try to do better...

the matrix

basic move: a four beat anticlockwise corkscrew (left hand leads)

when the left hand is about to lead up(i.e beat one of the up spiral)lean left so your first circle happens around your right armpit rather than above the head! open your arms out to full extension and slowly lean to the right so your last circle of the four is your right hand at your left armpit.

circle 1: left hand at right armpit

circle 2: right hand opening into extension

circle 3: left hand extension

circle 4: right hand at left armpit

this comes back in at the first beat of the down spiral in a basic 4bt.

the notcoleman 5

basic move: forwards five beat with wrists not touching

essentially the only difference to a normal 5 is that circle 3 comes inside into a buzzsaw

so the full ten, starting with the first circle on your right hand side coming out of a five on the left:

circle 1: right hand (wrists fully twisted up), starting to untwist wrists

circle 2: left hand continuing the ‘untwist’

circle 3: right hand buzzsaw

circle 4: left hand starting to twist the other way

circle 5: right hand finishes twist to fully twisted(hehe)

*pattern moves to left side*

circle 6: left hand, starting to untwist wrists

circle 7: right hand continuing the ‘untwist’

circle 8: left hand buzzsaw

circle 9: right hand starting to twist the other way

circle 10: left hand finishes twist to fully twisted

and so on.

now the only people I have seen do this are cole, dom and glass so it is entirely possible the explanation will only make sense to them ubblol

but I recommend you do it with shortish poi, and SLOWLY!!! and count. its important that you count…

I particularly like the coleman 5 in reverse actually, but I think it’s easier to learn in forwards…

slow double catch to airwrap release

basic move: a weave on the left side in wall plane

let the right hand poi wrap around your left arm and catch the head. at this point you can stop and just spin the left poi in the same place in front of you with the right poi looped around the other arm while you think about the next bit.. ubblol

stall the left poi pointing to your right. AT THE SAME TIME(!!!!) drop the loop of the right hand poi to about half way down the left poi string*(see note). when the left poi head comes back catch it in the left hand after just ½ a revolution. the poi should now be looped round each other, with each hand holding its own poi. let go of them simultaneously, giving the right one a little push downwards and the left one a little push upwards… and it should just pop out biggrin:

* Nb. at this point there are heaps of variations. go play….

weird shoulder stall

basic: just try this with one poi at first. it’s surprisingly tricky, but lovely, and has the potential to go in soooo many tricks. but I’m a bit lazy so I am hoping others will come up with some tatsy variations that I can pinch wink

spin the poi in whichever hand you tend to favour (unless you’re being bloody minded) vertically and so it comes up on the inside of your shoulder.

stall it just above your shoulder, move your shoulder underneath the stalled head, and let the poi release down on the outside.

obviously you can go from outside to inside too, but this is how I first worked this one out..

and a hint. watch dom ubblol

fake airwraps

not realy an airwrap. not really a fake airwrap either. but it’s the most basic thru-wrap and it gets ignored because sooo many others seem easier and slower

basic: reverse 3 bt weave in front of you.(this is where a quirk of mine kicks in. a lot of people will prefer to learn things forwards, I trend to learn them backwards first, especially airwraps and through wraps..).

it helps if you know the basic reverse 2-circle hyperloop for this. so a quick explanation for those who do. and then a longer one for those who don’t

if you think about a reverse hyperloop from left to right, the right poi string pulls across the left poi string to get from your left side to your right… yes?

instead of your right poi string, use your right wrist to chop across the left string. and then vice versa to move from right to left.

it’s really quick, shortens one poi string while keeping the other at full length, but only for 1 circle each….

ok.

the (slightly) longer version:

spin both poi in reverse but just by your sides in split time.

when the right poi is coming up move across to the other side, move your hand to the other side of the left poi, and as it comes down(so when the left poi is coming up) chop across the left string from left to right with your right hand, carrying both poi to the right side..

I hope that made sense.

if so try it from right to left.

I’ll repeat what I said above:

it’s really quick, shortens one poi string while keeping the other at full length, but only for 1 circle each….

if you’re feeling adventurous and you can’t already, try using the right poi string instead of your wrist: and tadaa! you have a hyperloop!

hehe

ok.

I think I’m done for this evening.

more to come.

and cole will you please do a vid of all these, cause I think it might be tricky for me to get to a camera soon…

love

R

smile

EDITED_BY: bluecat (1071054199)

Holistic Spinner (I hope)

TheWibblerGOLD Member
old hand
920 posts

Posted:
Mand and Glass you old devils.

'...Make a movie and a TV show, you be Jane, I'm George Jetson.

'...I am you and you are me, x y zee to a b cee, you, me, us, we are one'

'...stupid dum dum caught plum insane. I've felt worse but i've felt better, a human see-saw to the letter, ooooohh it makes me feel so goooood, so nice so nice.

Big shout out to all you poppies out there, Inspired by Existance ubblove

Spherculism ~:~ The Act of becoming Spherculish.

RevBRONZE Member
Bastard Newbie Messiah
1,269 posts

Posted:
Hey guys... I'm going to try and pick up on this notcoleman whatever stuff sometime when I'm not on the fforum via my phone... In the meantime, this is some fun stuff...
Moves required: buzzsaw, 5bt weave, isolations
Starting on the right side of a forward weave, right after the seperation when the right hand comes over the left hand (twisting up) instead of the right poi going over left and staying outside, bring it over left and inside.. (Basically like starting a buzzsaw one beat early) you will have to do this semi-isloation to keep the poi moving in a buzzsaw... And you will be doing a hand over hand buzzsaw.. Which you can then go into any number of things... You can exit it with a hyperlooping buzzsaw, or a regular buzzsaw to weave, or you can tanngle and untangle the buzzsaw right there in fron of you, depending on how you isolate... I prefer to weave-tangledbuzzsaw- buzzsaw- tangled buzzsaw- exit weave...
What I like most apart from being able to tangle and untangle a buzzsaw, is the way it looks.. When the poi start to move around the arm(like when the right comes over the left arm into the buzzsaw) your strings will start to curve around (they don't wrap) the arm and then the isolation motion keeps them arc'd like that.. Making it look like you have curved poi...
*shrugs*
Maybe you'll follow that descrip.. Maybe not.. But if you do.. It'll give ya something fun to play with..

More useless information courtesy of Rev...
Confusing the masses, one post at a time...
"Obviously, you're not a golfer.."- The Dude
"Buy the ticket... Take the ride..." -Raoul Duke
"FEMA has never done catastrophe planning..."-Michael Brown

MandSILVER Member
Keeper of the Spitfire
2,317 posts

Posted:
Brain gone ubbloco fom trying to read this stuff!
I'd love to have a go at some of these, but unfortunately my brain doesnt work from looking at text explanations of moves.
Bluecat- you mentioned the possibility of maybe getting these on video? Is this possible, as i would love to see them?
Much love to you all.

Oh yeah, and for Glass and PoiPoiPoi-
Never been in love with no one, Sign up! Join the programme,
Within me, within you,
Feels like karma wink

Lets steal a spaceship and head for the sun, and shoot the stars with a lemonade ray gun.

dreamSILVER Member
currently mending
493 posts

Posted:
I Don't understand why you've called a thru wrap a fake airwrap....

I do a move I call a fake airwrap where from bf the chains hit each other and bounce off across you in the wall plane leaving you in a reverse weave.

He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.

Nietzsche

arashiPooh-Bah
2,364 posts

Posted:
hehehe i don't care if it was a ubbangelboo-boo... you're STILL makin the meatloaf tonight. umm beeeeotch! and of course my attorney will contact you regarding copyright damages. say goodbye to your pampered aristocrat lifestyle, you just bought a one way ticket to the "hippy farm." tongue

-Such a price the gods exact for song: to become what we sing
-Seek freedom and become captive of your desires. Seek discipline and find your liberty.
-When the center of the storm does not move, you are in its path.

bluecatgeek, level 1
5,300 posts

Posted:
ubblolat arashi

dream it's precisely because it's not an airwrap.

the one your talking about is definitely an airwrap. so how can it be fake?

this is the closest thruwrap to an airwrap. hence the name.

soon mand.
new vid been getting there for a while but due to a serious mix up in who and where it was going, I now have the tape. and no way to upload.

will sort out!

love
R

MandSILVER Member
Keeper of the Spitfire
2,317 posts

Posted:
ubbloveto bluecat for his troubles.

Lets steal a spaceship and head for the sun, and shoot the stars with a lemonade ray gun.

NYCNYC
9,232 posts

Posted:
[Raises hand sheepishly from the back of the classroom...]

"Can I got to the nurse's office? My head hurts!"

Well, shall we go?
Yes, let's go.
[They do not move.]

dreamSILVER Member
currently mending
493 posts

Posted:
my thought was that an airwrap implies the chains wrap round each other....

my one has the strings bounce off each other rather than wrap, hence fake airwrap

He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.

Nietzsche

bluecatgeek, level 1
5,300 posts

Posted:
NO NYC YOU MAY NOT. SIT DOWN, PAY ATTENTION AND SHUT UP!

wink

you bounce the strings off each other dream? are you sure? i'll have to investigate closely(preferably in bristol)

is it the same trick as i do in 'how to..' near the end? if so then there's definitely a wrap.

the direction changing poi just has a stall for a fraction of a second....

confusedR

Dragon7GOLD Member
addict
625 posts

Posted:
Yea boy "thats what im talkin", you can bounce the chains off each other... and i also (in the beginning) was under the influence beerchug that it is an air wrap. Well partly it is, but the chains never really wrap.

Yes there is a slight stall, but no like a "gillie" or something, so small you wouldn't notice, quite a tricky move.

I think u need to be turning to get it real good and clean cause its the second that the poi reverse direction that you try to "bounce" them.

bluecatgeek, level 1
5,300 posts

Posted:
disagree. tis a wrap. (just watched it in slomo)

and doable in forwards and reverse...(nix does it better in reverse than forwards , i tend to hit myself in the face ubblol)

used to agree on the turn being the cleanest way of doing it too, but now i think if you are doign a forwards butterfly both hands round to one side behind you and do the wrap ending up in front this is just as clean...

biggrin nice to hear this ones all over the world tho biggrin

smileR

Dragon7GOLD Member
addict
625 posts

Posted:
slightly confused confused my chains only just touch and the poi do cross, but only about 10 cm before the bounce happens, and they go back the other way. I guess it is still classed as a wrap even though no actuall wrap occurs.

I usually do mine from a weave, but by turning and bringing them to the side i think it makes it a butterfly ?!? not so sure... anyway i guess u just said that.

hmmm now where did i put that "how to video?"

In feb dude, u can show me for real. ubblol

MikeIconGOLD Member
Pooh-Bah
2,109 posts

Posted:
Welp, I got the matrix...

Cant for the life of me figure out the notcoleman 5 or the wierd shoulder stall. The rest seem like too much work (figuring out and doing). Guess Ill have to wait for the video...

Maybe if we keep talking about the video, it will get made faster ubbtickled

Let's turn those old bridges we crossed into ashes.
We'll blaze a new trail,
and torch the rough patches.

-Me

BamBamPooh-Bah
1,810 posts

Posted:
Rahhhh I finally got the over the head butterfly airwrap biggrin I did have to endure a few knocks and thwacks on me bonce first though ubbloco

Mr Cole I wonna see what this Notcolemen 5 tingy jobby watsit is plllleeeeaaasssseee ubbangel I just don't understand the description confused

Lisa
ubbrollsmile

I

A kiss blown is a kiss wasted, the only kind of kiss is a kiss tasted.

I'm a woman. We don't say what we want, but we reserve the right to be pissed off if we don't get it. That's what makes us so fascinating and not just a LITTLE bit scary.

UCOFSILVER Member
15,417 posts

Posted:
its all about another move that i am sure rob can do..

but has not yet tried.

Which i am learning.

slowly.

its all sssssshhhh at the moment.

cos everyone knows..you only release a trick on HOP when you can do it.

[Nx?]BRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,749 posts

Posted:
what, i cant do half the stuff I say i can, Im always "working on" something...

anyway, wot im 'working on' now is like and overhead butterfly airwrap but in weave time.

not really, but i just thought of it, and that wuld be nice.

wwairwrap? anyone?

maketh me manny a muckle in the last few days, ummmm, contact juggling....

Bish?

This is a post by tom, all spelling is deleberate
-><- Kallisti

UCOFSILVER Member
15,417 posts

Posted:
bosh.

so thats agreed then. we invade france at dawn.

bluecatgeek, level 1
5,300 posts

Posted:
i go away for a few days... everybody abuses me while i'm away....going to sulk

ubbcrying

( wink)

i hereby declare i can do every move i have ever posted on this board(with crossed fingers)

bluecatgeek, level 1
5,300 posts

Posted:
anyway tomboy ww airwraps aren't so tricky.

practise yer inverted airwraps and you'll see what i mean.

and the vid'll be up sooner than you all think biggrin

tongueR

[Nx?]BRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,749 posts

Posted:
ok, full on hyperloop stall.

from a weave stall one poi straight down, one poi straight up. Once the stall pull them acoss eachother so that thy twist up at the ends. get this right and they twist to the bottom, reverse and come out again.

i know thats not the best description, but it works, honest!

T wave

-><- Kallisti

spiralxveteran
1,376 posts

Posted:
You can also stall hyperloops while they're inside the arms as well by dropping them downwards and then "bouncing" them upwards and in the opposite direction. Not hugely easy though and can look pretty messy...

"Moo," said the happy cow.

[Nx?]BRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,749 posts

Posted:
oh yeah, and,

butterfly loop and catch. turn 1 poi over, weave loop out.

T wave biggrin

-><- Kallisti

[Nx?]BRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,749 posts

Posted:
I know what you mean blue, but i been looking in a vauge kind of way at front to back from the ww. which isnt inverted, there are 4 walls, all in the same direction.

T wave

-><- Kallisti

colemanSILVER Member
big and good and broken
7,330 posts

Posted:
that hyperloop stall is cool as hell biggrin

one of the results of the harlow airwrap convention 2003 that was smile

other highlights included the airwrapped skipping rope and the round the world airwrap.

"i see you at 'dis cafe.
i come to 'dis cafe quite a lot myself.
they do porridge."
- tim westwood

PaliGOLD Member
journeyman
84 posts

Posted:
This is one of my personal faves! Here's a little animation of it I made.

Non-Https Image Link

peace ubblove biggrin

Genuineness only thrives in the dark -- like celery.

bluecatgeek, level 1
5,300 posts

Posted:
Quote:

that hyperloop stall is cool as hell biggrin

one of the results of the harlow airwrap convention 2003 that was smile

other highlights included the airwrapped skipping rope and the round the world airwrap.

ubblol

tho i liked the 'cleaning the arm' and hip-stop-hyp-loop'

and if you watch EJC2003 carefully cole you'll see the hyperloop stall came a wee bit before harlow......

bluecatgeek, level 1
5,300 posts

Posted:
kittyn i'll post the allthewayround corkscrew vid soon...its got btb tendencies ubblove

musashiistarring Skippy the green llama
1,148 posts

Posted:
kitty it's like that, but doing a back bend instead of turning, face up, and pulling a few beats behind your head/back. nice one mr kitty

First intention, then enlightenment..
Ars Pyronomica

" Life is programmed. Whether death is programmed or not is yet to be determined."

colemanSILVER Member
big and good and broken
7,330 posts

Posted:
you know rob, i've seen that video but i can only seem to remember that bit where someone tries to nakedise you... confused

anyway, that stall never worked as well as it did in harlow - i reckon you fluked it before wink

and we did discover that there's two ways to do it (different direction of arms after the stall/tangle).

"i see you at 'dis cafe.
i come to 'dis cafe quite a lot myself.
they do porridge."
- tim westwood

Page: