Forums > Advanced Poi Moves > a few bits of fun perchance...

Login/Join to Participate
Page:
bluecatgeek, level 1
5,300 posts

Posted:
morning.

I quite enjoyed writing out contact staff moves over [Old link] so I thought I’d have a go at some poi moves that are not in widespread circulation…..enjoy.

if you’ve problems and are in London, print this off(it’ll make no sense if not cause I’m making up names…), go to see bams about the matrix(girls do it better than boys y’know), cole about the notcoleman5, and well, cole for any of the rest of them too ubblol

if you're not in london... then pm cole to make a video, or ask me for clarification and i'll try to do better...

the matrix

basic move: a four beat anticlockwise corkscrew (left hand leads)

when the left hand is about to lead up(i.e beat one of the up spiral)lean left so your first circle happens around your right armpit rather than above the head! open your arms out to full extension and slowly lean to the right so your last circle of the four is your right hand at your left armpit.

circle 1: left hand at right armpit

circle 2: right hand opening into extension

circle 3: left hand extension

circle 4: right hand at left armpit

this comes back in at the first beat of the down spiral in a basic 4bt.

the notcoleman 5

basic move: forwards five beat with wrists not touching

essentially the only difference to a normal 5 is that circle 3 comes inside into a buzzsaw

so the full ten, starting with the first circle on your right hand side coming out of a five on the left:

circle 1: right hand (wrists fully twisted up), starting to untwist wrists

circle 2: left hand continuing the ‘untwist’

circle 3: right hand buzzsaw

circle 4: left hand starting to twist the other way

circle 5: right hand finishes twist to fully twisted(hehe)

*pattern moves to left side*

circle 6: left hand, starting to untwist wrists

circle 7: right hand continuing the ‘untwist’

circle 8: left hand buzzsaw

circle 9: right hand starting to twist the other way

circle 10: left hand finishes twist to fully twisted

and so on.

now the only people I have seen do this are cole, dom and glass so it is entirely possible the explanation will only make sense to them ubblol

but I recommend you do it with shortish poi, and SLOWLY!!! and count. its important that you count…

I particularly like the coleman 5 in reverse actually, but I think it’s easier to learn in forwards…

slow double catch to airwrap release

basic move: a weave on the left side in wall plane

let the right hand poi wrap around your left arm and catch the head. at this point you can stop and just spin the left poi in the same place in front of you with the right poi looped around the other arm while you think about the next bit.. ubblol

stall the left poi pointing to your right. AT THE SAME TIME(!!!!) drop the loop of the right hand poi to about half way down the left poi string*(see note). when the left poi head comes back catch it in the left hand after just ½ a revolution. the poi should now be looped round each other, with each hand holding its own poi. let go of them simultaneously, giving the right one a little push downwards and the left one a little push upwards… and it should just pop out biggrin:

* Nb. at this point there are heaps of variations. go play….

weird shoulder stall

basic: just try this with one poi at first. it’s surprisingly tricky, but lovely, and has the potential to go in soooo many tricks. but I’m a bit lazy so I am hoping others will come up with some tatsy variations that I can pinch wink

spin the poi in whichever hand you tend to favour (unless you’re being bloody minded) vertically and so it comes up on the inside of your shoulder.

stall it just above your shoulder, move your shoulder underneath the stalled head, and let the poi release down on the outside.

obviously you can go from outside to inside too, but this is how I first worked this one out..

and a hint. watch dom ubblol

fake airwraps

not realy an airwrap. not really a fake airwrap either. but it’s the most basic thru-wrap and it gets ignored because sooo many others seem easier and slower

basic: reverse 3 bt weave in front of you.(this is where a quirk of mine kicks in. a lot of people will prefer to learn things forwards, I trend to learn them backwards first, especially airwraps and through wraps..).

it helps if you know the basic reverse 2-circle hyperloop for this. so a quick explanation for those who do. and then a longer one for those who don’t

if you think about a reverse hyperloop from left to right, the right poi string pulls across the left poi string to get from your left side to your right… yes?

instead of your right poi string, use your right wrist to chop across the left string. and then vice versa to move from right to left.

it’s really quick, shortens one poi string while keeping the other at full length, but only for 1 circle each….

ok.

the (slightly) longer version:

spin both poi in reverse but just by your sides in split time.

when the right poi is coming up move across to the other side, move your hand to the other side of the left poi, and as it comes down(so when the left poi is coming up) chop across the left string from left to right with your right hand, carrying both poi to the right side..

I hope that made sense.

if so try it from right to left.

I’ll repeat what I said above:

it’s really quick, shortens one poi string while keeping the other at full length, but only for 1 circle each….

if you’re feeling adventurous and you can’t already, try using the right poi string instead of your wrist: and tadaa! you have a hyperloop!

hehe

ok.

I think I’m done for this evening.

more to come.

and cole will you please do a vid of all these, cause I think it might be tricky for me to get to a camera soon…

love

R

smile

EDITED_BY: bluecat (1071054199)

Holistic Spinner (I hope)

vimstrange/r/st/-ish
142 posts

Posted:
eek

oooh, these I have to see!

vid vid vid vid!
pleaseplease!?

peace
vim

bluecatgeek, level 1
5,300 posts

Posted:
where are ya in oz? might be able to arrange a personal viewing wink

few more coming tonight i think cause i am just not tired enough to sleep yet..... biggrin

R

vimstrange/r/st/-ish
142 posts

Posted:
a couple of hours north of Brisbane at the moment smile

bluecatgeek, level 1
5,300 posts

Posted:
i'll be in brisbane for a little while, certainly at monday night thingammyjig, also a tuesday fest if those fairies get round to organising one wink

heres a couple more oddities...:

over the head butterfly airwrap .

bit scary this one. but simpler than it sounds.

basic move. butterly, butterfly over the head(you know, the first thing you learn to do with a butterfly…)

first off try to get a butterfly airwrap. actually I found this variation much easier at first, so even if you can’t do the basic its worth a go.

doing a butterfly with right hand on top, take your right hand slightly out and back, and let the right poi head travel down between your left hand and your body. then push forward so it tangles with the left string. the planes have to be a bit wrong, but that happens naturally I think.

to come out in straightforward butterfly airwrap you have to fiddle around with it where it is…. but to come out in this variation:
once the poi strings have tangled pull the tangle above your head in the fashion of a butterfly bth and the wrap should exit happily.

if not you might get both heads in the face so use your softest socks hug

all the way round corkscrew .

this was inspired by a meenik video, and to tell the truth I still like his variation better cause it’s a bit more obvious and showy(where just one hand goes all the way round the body, see nick with fire1)(this one has a tendency like a lot of tricky things to look too easy if smooth, so I tend to work up to it….) but have a go if you have a good back bend..

basic: 4 bt corkscrew anticlockwise, left hand lead.

this one starts on the first beat downwards.

as your left hand is thinking about coming down lean left, and push the wrists down towards your left side, after one circle(half a wrist revolution)(pretty quick if beats/circles confuse :grin: ) move into a hefty back bend, with your hands behind your head. as the hands untwist begin your lean to the right and the move should exit on your right side with th left hand just about to start the upwards 4 bt corkscrew

aaah well.

tireder than I thought.

off for an antipodean snooze.

enjoy

R biggrin

vimstrange/r/st/-ish
142 posts

Posted:
The bluecat is in bne?!?

frown there is no way I'm going to be able to get away this time of year...

buggah. and I could really use some inspiration right now.

telicI don't want a title.
940 posts

Posted:
Er. Videos? Please? Lovely lovely people, I want to see what you're talk about! ::wanders off to try to make sense from the written instructions::

E pluribus unum, baby.

bluecatgeek, level 1
5,300 posts

Posted:
no. to both ubblol

not in brisbane(yet). (february)

no vid either from me as mentioned above.

most of these are on a video i am waiting for some people to upload mad(actually it is the people sending it to the people waiting to upload it that i am mad at.)

sorry ubbcrying

NYCNYC
9,232 posts

Posted:
So I'm sitting next to Ken last night and he hits me with his:

"Those who can, do. Those who understand, teach."

philosophy... and lemme say... you're a 'do-er' Robby boy. In fact, you're one of the best 'do-ers' in the planet. But I don't understand WHAT THE HECK you're talking about, and I'm good at reading moves too...

So you just keep doin' homie, and get a vid online. ubblove

Well, shall we go?
Yes, let's go.
[They do not move.]

bluecatgeek, level 1
5,300 posts

Posted:
biyatch.

how many times do i have to say i won't get a vid of these out.

if you were really sitting next to kenn you'd also have been sitting next to tree, and she'd have disagreedw with you full-on, boyo(bit of welsh grammatical slang there, wink)

i never said they were easy moves either to learn or to do. so git working. tree can do most of them i think so grab!!!!(if she can't then get her working too. actually, don't; tell her to keep juggling ubbloco)

love

R
EDITED_BY: bluecat (1071191814)

vimstrange/r/st/-ish
142 posts

Posted:
biggrin

::makes note re finding a copy of "dummies guide to being sociable (geek ed)"::

::makes note re practicing poi lots::

::looks at calendar - nope nothing in feb::

wave

woohoo!

PS.

Non-Https Image Link

biggrin biggrin
EDITED_BY: vim (1071186638)

DeepSoulSheepGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
2,617 posts

Posted:
I agree it's possible to figure some of them out but it does takes a printing off, trying stuff, re-reading and frowning.

The first few I get.

The weird shoulder stall I'm not sure are you talking about the pendula type stuff over the shouldar Cassandra does at the start of spinning in Paris? confused

I didn't have a chance to give the fake airwraps a go yet and I think I only just figured out what you mean be the matrix so I might be back on them...

Thanks
for the cool ideas I got a couple of moves out of the not coleman ubbrollsmile

I live in a world of infinite possibilities.

bluecatgeek, level 1
5,300 posts

Posted:
it sounds like it. i don't have a copy of SiP available to watch so i can't tell. but it sounds like something she'd do beautifully weavesmiley

here's an idea i've been playing with today(dom please play with these, they remind me of you hug):

placements

similar i think to something NYC spotted in a shok video, am offline now so will check and edit if the same thing...:

i'll give a couple of examples and let you find the rest ubbangel

both poi spinning in front of you same direction(as if you had just done a separation from a weave and stopped your hands)

let the left poi head come up under your right arm and catch it on your right shoulder(slightly wrapped round, with the head hanging an inch or so on the inside, and the string hanging on the outside) take your left hand off its handle, move it round btb and take the hanging string, and pull....

or this:

spinning a forwards butterfly

lean your head forward and stall the right poi over your neck. pull it so you have about half the string on one side, half on the other, and let go the poi. swap the left poi into your right hand, take the hanging string in your left hand, pull, and you are spinning a cross follow on your right side...

theres a million and one variations to be found methinks...

love
R

colemanSILVER Member
big and good and broken
7,330 posts

Posted:
good work mr cat smile
loads of lovely ideas here.

i don't really understand the matrix but it's in the horizontal plane so its not surprising i guess.
same goes for all the way round corkscrew even though i've seen it loads, it looks like it hurts so i've never tried it!

the notcoleman5 is mentioned back [Old link] .
nice name rob wink

double catch to airwrap release - you can also catch both or just one while tangled (although just one tends to be a bit sloppy).
if anyone see's bluecat doing these make sure you ask nicely and get hime to do the reef knot and slip knot variations... ubbtickled

the 'weird shoulder stalls' i adore ubblove
i call em 'over the arm stalls' myself jafar - imagine swinging a pendulum with just your right hand in wall plane, stalling over your shoulder to end up with the pendulum behind you:
on the swing out towards the right use your whole arm to extend the pendulum out so that your arm is straight out, level with your shoulder and arma nd poi make one big long line from shoulder to poi head.
let the poi swing back towards you keeping your right arm straight out and as the poi stalls at the top of the pendulum (the head will be next to your right shoulder) lead it over your shoulder so that the pendulum swing back out to the right starts behind you.
once that's neat and tidy, do the same stall but without having to do any pendula swings first.
add head catches and throws and rob's your uncle.

fake airwraps - very handy for teaching hyperloop style airwraps.

over the head butterfly airwrap.
ouch. ubblol

placements.
watch good glowstickers and ask about mindgames. cool

as far as making a video goes, i'm more than happy to do so but i have no way of encoding frown
that's why all the footage i have of me and moohaahaa is just sitting on a bunch of tapes going stale.
i need a new capture card or at least someone who'll let me use their computer and sit in their house for a weekend of editing...

"i see you at 'dis cafe.
i come to 'dis cafe quite a lot myself.
they do porridge."
- tim westwood

bluecatgeek, level 1
5,300 posts

Posted:
i think similar to mind games but a bit more heavy-end oriented.

mind games go all over the place cause the glowsticks are so light and manoovrable. gotta be careful with these. esp as i plan on doing most of them with fire and heavy handles wink

keeping back an idea or two just for you cole wink hug

hehe

ubblocoR

DeepSoulSheepGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
2,617 posts

Posted:
I think that's what I was thinking cole. Thanks for the long arm idea...

Last night I figured out how to catch the double airwrap release infront and then realease it (as described by bluecate) behind the back. Not quite got the release smooth but it's the getting it from in front to behind without letting go where the fun is biggrin

The reverse of this should also work but I've not tried it yet... ubbangel

I live in a world of infinite possibilities.

bluecatgeek, level 1
5,300 posts

Posted:
hey spank

not anyones uncle(unless my brother's been busy wile i've been away eek)

winkR

NYCNYC
9,232 posts

Posted:
Cole, you most definitely DO understand the Matrix. It's the move that Ms. BamBam does so well that looks like Neo dodging bullets on the rooftop.

It's just that Mr. Cat is so horrible at describing moves. wink (Kidding! I love you buddy!) And yes, Tree has already taught me a bunch of Bluecat moves. biggrin

I like the fact that we've already bought into the fact that if I can't do a move that I read online, it's because it was poorly written... and not for the real reason which is that I suck. smile

Now get back to writing better move descriptions and soon I won't have to practice at all. tongue

Well, shall we go?
Yes, let's go.
[They do not move.]

colemanSILVER Member
big and good and broken
7,330 posts

Posted:
having seen a move and understanding it are two very different things though dude!

i thought the one bams did was the all the way round corkscrew?
whats the difference between the two anyway - to my reading it seems the matrix is like a long arm (as in 'long arm weave') version of the all the way round corkscrew...?

back to learning 5 (at work biggrin)... ubbangel

"i see you at 'dis cafe.
they do porridge."
- tim westwood

BamBamPooh-Bah
1,810 posts

Posted:
It's the matrix that I do babe......god only knows how I do it though confused

A kiss blown is a kiss wasted, the only kind of kiss is a kiss tasted.

I'm a woman. We don't say what we want, but we reserve the right to be pissed off if we don't get it. That's what makes us so fascinating and not just a LITTLE bit scary.

NYCNYC
9,232 posts

Posted:
Heh... the matrix is an example of a move that I teach better than I do. frown

Yo, blue, there was a "reverse matrix" which wasn't just the same move backwards that I couldn't learn at EJC because my brain was full... it had like circles behind the head or something... what's up with that? Please explain it in such a way that I will immidiately get it without any effort or practice. Thanks!

And where's the video? wink

Well, shall we go?
Yes, let's go.
[They do not move.]

colemanSILVER Member
big and good and broken
7,330 posts

Posted:
well, i think that proves i don't get those moves at all then! biggrin wink

although i'd hazard a guess that if a reverse matrix is not just the same move backwards then it may be like a reverse fountain type variation of the matrix?
i.e. the large movements are counter to the direction of the poi rather than with them.

of course i could just be guessing badly again... ubblol

"i see you at 'dis cafe.
they do porridge."
- tim westwood

[Nx?]BRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,749 posts

Posted:
hes bad at nameing too, the matrix is really just a front waistwrap with an extension in the middle, but done horisontally, the round the back corcsrew is one where the corkscrew instead of comming above the head drops below the shoulders and coutinues corckscewing behind the back. both of them you need to have super flexible backs, which i dont got, so i dont do em, but I do understand.

T wave

p.s. cor, three posts in one day, maybe im warming up....

This is a post by tom, all spelling is deleberate
-><- Kallisti

bluecatgeek, level 1
5,300 posts

Posted:
thanks tom.

*vast amounts of abuse for NYC*

(just found a bloke with a camera...)

bluecatgeek, level 1
5,300 posts

Posted:
and your memory's abit fuzzy too. maybe youre geting to old to teach 'real' class with test tubes and beakers and stuff wink

the one with circles behind the head is the allthewayround corkscrew. but i was teaching them together, so i can see why.

from all this---^ tis obvious its easier to describe contact staff moves than it is poi moves.
migh t give up and return to vids in 4 months or so.... wave

love
R

MandSILVER Member
Keeper of the Spitfire
2,317 posts

Posted:
Eyes and brain now boggled from trying to make sense of text! ubbloco
Bluecat- you any further with getting a vid of these? It would be awesome.
I really cant work out what goes where from stuff thats written down!
Sounds good though! smile

Lets steal a spaceship and head for the sun, and shoot the stars with a lemonade ray gun.

arashiPooh-Bah
2,364 posts

Posted:
biyatch, you know you're in trouble now for renaming inverted weaves. spank and on top of that making the explanation much more cryptic than even i could... tongue

especially after i made a point of begging to get to name something on hop in exchange for all my slaving over a hot stove/typing. oh well who needs you punks anyway... i want a divorce... ubblol ubblol ubblol

-Such a price the gods exact for song: to become what we sing
-Seek freedom and become captive of your desires. Seek discipline and find your liberty.
-When the center of the storm does not move, you are in its path.

GlåssDIAMOND Member
The Ministry of Manipulation
2,523 posts

Posted:
Just for Mand:
.....From out our window, We can see, Electric sunshine, Oxygen factories, Clockwork tides, Synthetic trees, Just like the real ones, On Vee Tee, Mother Nature, Father Time, Used to be good friends of mine
But now we've put them, In a home, Filed under "uses unknown"......
Je t'aime! Encore! Je t'aime!

Wooooooow, just read your sig for the first time!!!! biggrin phwooooar.
damn, you cool
cool

Wake up!
Time to die!
Glass ubbrollsmile ( ....jaw, alcohol whore, cardboard cut out lying on the floor, lame brain drunk again......)

bluecatgeek, level 1
5,300 posts

Posted:
renaming inverted weaves? i got another move i call inverted weave.. what do you mean?
do you mean the "notcoleman5" ?
must have completely misunderstood you when you were describing them... confused

sorry ubbcrying

MandSILVER Member
Keeper of the Spitfire
2,317 posts

Posted:
Hehe, thanks Glass. biggrin
Oh, and i have a special pressy for you...

'...sweating like a pig doing a jig at the gig of the century, Because we'll never be told by the old school, Sold the old rules, though we're no fools.
Downbeats down to earth, you down with me?
Clowning round the town, step easy.
Cooking up new tricks looking for a new kick.
Found a new sound.
Found that it sticks.'

Glass, you're mind is truly on the right level!!! beerchug

Lets steal a spaceship and head for the sun, and shoot the stars with a lemonade ray gun.

bluecatgeek, level 1
5,300 posts

Posted:
ubblolA mand and glass..

arashi my inverted weave is a wall plane thing going inside arms for 2-4 beats(depending on wierdity)

BUT!

just been working on the notcoleman7.

or inverted 7 whichevre you like to call it.

ubbloco is my brain just now.

hugR

Page: