Forums > Beginner Staff Moves > how did you get your staff skills ?

Login/Join to Participate
Page:
duvanancient oachkatzlschwoaf
248 posts

Posted:
hi again

i had many shows the last weeks and one of the most frequently questions was :
"who teached you all this stuff?"
my answer was : "myself , i only learned some few things from the internet "
and now my question to you : how did YOU get your staff skills ? iam the only one person in this area who's really quite well in staff skills . dont wanna pose , it's just a fact . did you have a teacher ? a good friend of me is also a really good juggler and breakedancer and he says that my discipline really impresses him .
*bla*

bye , max

Severly burnedmember
10 posts

Posted:
I'm not so good at staff. But I learn by just playing around, and just get an idea to a staff move .

..:Ø_Ø_Ø:..

bulldozermember
38 posts

Posted:
I learned by hitting myself in the head quite a few times
Basically I taught myself by following a very simple equation. Hitting yourself or dropping the staff=bad. Not dropping the staff or hitting yourself=good.
Recently though I´ve been more active in seeking out other twirlers to exchange tips and tricks

Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did. So throw off the bowlines, Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. --Mark Twain

SickpuPpyNinja Rockstar!
1,100 posts

Posted:
I've been in several diffirent martial arts for the last ten or so years, and staff is usually one of the first weapons to be taught in most arts, so I've been spinning a staff for quite a few years now. Though I did have change my normal style dramaticly to make it look good with fire, removing the strikes and keeping the weapon in constant motion and all.

But I would have to say that I have mostly the Kukishin, Togakure, Gyoko, and Koto clans for my staff skills.

Jesus helps me trick people.

-Ba^eX-member
254 posts

Posted:
i learnt from a few friends to begin with...but now i have caught up to them with staff and its frustrating...ive been able to teach myself a few extra tricks...nothing major...but i learn much better from other people

If life was a ball of fire...i would be the poi sustaining it

CharlesBRONZE Member
Corporate Circus Arts Entertainer
3,989 posts

Posted:
I learned by busking in front of crowds of people 2-3 nights a week for about a year.

Like most of us, I was shown a few things by other helpful staffers (the double figure 8 for a start) but the majority of it was learned "on the job"...

HoP Posting Guidelines
* Is it the Truth?
* Is it Fair to all concerned?
* Will it build Goodwill and Better Friendships?
* Will it be Beneficial to all concerned?

WintermuteLost in the world but loving it :)
119 posts

Posted:
Yup all self taught here to, with the occasional helpful insight from some of my female friends who used to do majorettes, and since they saw me doing staff they keep bugging me to make them flaming majorette staves, cool huh

If fishes were wishes we'd all cast nets

AnonymousPLATINUM Member

Posted:
I've learned about 50% from this site 40% from other twirlers and about 10% pure innovation.

I dont think it matters very much if you are self taught, usually its only a stylistic difference that comes through anyhow.

For Technical tricks tho, I think learning from/with others is the best bet to improve quickly.

Josh

AyellayenThe smart-arse who kisses Rouge's
128 posts

Posted:
I've just practised on theories, ideas, advice and a few basic moves I picked up on this site. Practise is the main one, especially with contact moves...

It's my world - you all just happen to live in it.

pkBRONZE Member
Lambretta Fanatic
4,997 posts

Posted:
i live with mineiro / blue cat and also Steve... need i say more?

bluecatgeek, level 1
5,300 posts

Posted:
eeerrrmmm...

couple of people in edinburgh for basics... then a guy called julien from france for basic contact... tulikansa for inspiration... glass...josh....nix?....steve(tepooka) and steve(mushypea)....

but most noo stuff is baton or personal

love
R

(not that pk ever picks up his stick, i mean you move in, try to teach somebody something, and he goes and plays poi and juggles all day. i mean, for ****s sake..... )

Holistic Spinner (I hope)

PeleBRONZE Member
the henna lady
6,193 posts

Posted:
I taught myself, but I picked things up from here, video's, I used to twirl baton.
But mostly practicing relentlessly to tell you the truth.

Pele
Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir
"Oooh look! A pub!" -exclaimed after recovering from a stupid fall
"And for the decadence of art, nothing beats a roaring fire." -TMK

CantusSILVER Member
Tantamount to fatuity
15,966 posts

Posted:
I got the basics from this site and Bec and Elke's Staff Twirling book.

Little tricks 'borrowed'and/or adapted from the likes of Mineiro, Tempest and the Circles of Light videos.

Most of my doubles stuff though is based on poi moves. Can't seem to do them with poi though....

Meh

tenticleenthusiast
275 posts

Posted:
err... someone said 'try doing some staff, it might help you with the wrist action on that move', so i tied some dishcloths to the end of a broomstick, played a bit, saw glass' contact video, got hooked, realized a lot of it was soooo similar to poi it wasn't true, got my housemate to make me a better staff, played some more, got my housemate to make me matched balanced doubles...
And it did help with that move as well. And some others. So you could say i got my staff skills from poi... and i certainly got poi skills from staff...

--Ben

MozyBRONZE Member
*.. If ya can't be Good, Be Good at it..*
147 posts

Posted:
i mainlt taugh myself by simply watching other people and then going home and pratice all day and night untill i got it....but now i making my own stuff up as i run and muk with the staff's...also i did that with my twins (Double Staff)

Loki

watching the world go by!!!!

Trick ferret on the making hehe!!!!
Everybodyknows me as (TriX)

MozyBRONZE Member
*.. If ya can't be Good, Be Good at it..*
147 posts

Posted:
i mainly taught myself by simply watching other people and then going home and pratice all day and night untill i got it....but now i making my own stuff up as i run and muk with the staff...also i did that with my twins as well(Double Staff)

Loki

watching the world go by!!!!

Trick ferret on the making hehe!!!!
Everybodyknows me as (TriX)

King Of Bongoaddict
522 posts

Posted:
I got mine in what I think might be one of the most common ways... avoiding work/studying! this involves a lot of time and a lot of effort!

Your life is ending one minute at a time...
So live it.

[Nx?]BRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,749 posts

Posted:
yo,

I learnt kinda off the internet, kinda on my own but everything went much quicker when I found some peaple as good/better than me.

I can teach something in an afternoon that took me a week to work out myself.

L8r

N

This is a post by tom, all spelling is deleberate
-><- Kallisti

pkBRONZE Member
Lambretta Fanatic
4,997 posts

Posted:
shame of you nix?

[Nx?]BRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,749 posts

Posted:
eh?

okok, my poi stuff has all been pinched from the insperational mr PK, and drew, but not rob, as he is too good and a swarmy b**tard with it.

N

-><- Kallisti

CantusSILVER Member
Tantamount to fatuity
15,966 posts

Posted:
Swarmy? Like a bunch of bees?

Meh

Tikamember
106 posts

Posted:
I learn some moves through HOP and while practicing would try new things. Aside from getting tips from people mostly self-taught. I also take Capoeira which helps with being aware of how my body moves.

bluecatgeek, level 1
5,300 posts

Posted:
thanks thomas

pk is an ungrateful young mischief maker.

not quite sure how i'm swarmy tho. smarmy yes. modest too tho

Holistic Spinner (I hope)

[Nx?]BRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,749 posts

Posted:
sorry, I meant swampy. He smells, and is often damp.

-><- Kallisti

elementsmember
5 posts

Posted:
i was lucky. I was in competetive baton for 7 years. so when a friend handed me a staff to spin it came naturally.

every snowflake in an avalanche pleads not guilty

pkBRONZE Member
Lambretta Fanatic
4,997 posts

Posted:
now now tom your gonna get a ****ing hug for that coment to my friend rob.

[Nx?]BRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,749 posts

Posted:
promises promises.

actually, I only got one half-hearted pk hug this weekend, then he ran away! Lightweight.

N

-><- Kallisti

arsnHow do you change this thing???
1,903 posts

Posted:
I learnt the hard way... sitting under waterfalls, breaking rocks, holding my breath with long dives, climbing trees to the highest point,sitting in darken caves, and above all else, watching Monkey magic...

I can't hear you... I have a banana in my ear.

"You mean I'll have to use my brain?... but I use staff!!!" ~ ben-ja-men

dwuanosmember
79 posts

Posted:
got out of the way of the burning ends then it all fell into place, it is not the way the stick moves but the way you move around the stick.
Plus pain is good and a tolerance to burns better

fluffy napalm fairyCarpal \'Tunnel
3,638 posts

Posted:
cantus
pk
glass
rob
strugs

haven't met any of them more than 5 times (except my fraggle) but each time I do I learn a bunch. Hence the slow progreassion. Thanks for letting me nick your stuff. you guys fancy sending me some more vids?

Geologists do it in the dirt................ spank

DurbsBRONZE Member
Classically British
5,689 posts

Posted:
In fairness I didn't teach you much - I just showed you what to do and you could do it!
FNF gave some good tips too I seem to remember, you just seemed to pick it up in about 10 minutes
Sickening *wanders off mumbling about talented people and how I had to work for my skills*

Burner of Toast
Spinner of poi
Slacker of enormous magnitude

Page:

HOP Newsletter