• All Purchases made this month instantly go into the draw to win a USD $ 100.00 credit to your HoP account.

Forums > Social Chat > Regular \'ball\' shaped poi compared to the \'ninja\' type

Login/Join to Participate
Page: 12
Posted:Hi everyone

I have been having problems with some LED Poi that I have - they are the traditional 'ball' shape, I am going to buy these

http://www.homeofpoi.com/shop/productDetails/Pair-of-Stealth-Ninja-V3-LED-Poi-with-Cole-Cords
br>
I guess My question is does the difference in shape make a difference to the technique you have to use? i.e because they are longer are they easier to kinda mess up with and hit yourself?

I am only a beginner so I am a bit worried about this!

Thanks in advance!

Delete Topic

beaniebob
GOLD Member since Nov 2010

casually noob tech poi spinrar

Total posts: 155
Posted:Nothing wrong with ninja poi, really. Personally I don't like them because they're a little long, and the weight distribution makes stalls with them more prone to wobbling. This sort of wobble is pretty much a general thing that happens with non-spherical poi (but I find it happens less with flowlights, imo.)

That said, round poi are awesomesauce. If you don't mind forking out extra cash, I'd say get podpoi. Otherwise I'd still recommend flowlights (but with crystal cases or the 1L tubes and some flowmass, because they're pretty light otherwise).

Finally, what sort of problems are you having with your current LED poi? Too light? Not enough room between your arms?

EDIT: Nvm, saw your other thread. That's most likely just crappy circuitry/loose battery contacts. Also, given that those sorts of poi are insanely light, I can say that the ninja poi will feel much heavier and slower in comparison. Flowlights on their own will be similar in weight, but with flowlights you really do want them inside one of the cases.

EDITED_BY: beaniebob (1367110782)

"If all else fails, immortality can always be assured by spectacular error."

Delete

Posted:Thanks! I think I will get some of the flowlights I think!

Also, I seem to be getting WORSE the more I practice! Has this ever happened to anyone else at all?? I cant figure out why! I had the backwards two beat weave a couple of weeks ago, havent tried it since then much but I was trying tonight and I just kept bashing myself!

Should I just quit? Seems I'm useless at this!

Delete

beaniebob

Posted:The key to learning poi (any pretty much anything, really) is to just keep practising. Could be a whole number of reasons why it's going badly - off day, slightly wrong technique, not quite getting things into your muscle memory, stuff like that.

If you're hitting yourself, either keep drilling it, or drill some more plane control.

Don't quit. Never quit. You stumble and fall long before you even start to walk as a kid. Same thing with poi. It's on par with learning the sorts of new muscle movements that you need to learn in order to learn to ride a bike, or a skateboard.

Delete

Posted:Thanks for the encouragement! Sadly my poi course ended tonight so I am back to relying on internet tutorials but I am even getting the hang of the backwards three beat weave! grin

Delete

beaniebob

Posted:Haha, internet videos aren't that bad lol. You should go and find some peeps around your area to go spin with regularly, yo.

Delete

Trybal Wolf
SILVER Member since Jul 2012

Trybal Wolf

Wolf Furry

Total posts: 517
Posted:Beaniebob's right. I don't have any fellow poisters in my area, and no one teaches around here either. So for me, It's always been trial and error, Internet tutorials, and bruises. It's been the greatest thing I have ever learned.

Don't give up, no matter how hard it gets to go on. Poi has completely changed my life, and I wish more people would be changed the way I was.

I'd rather die on paws, than live on feet.

Delete

Trybal Wolf

Trybal Wolf

Wolf Furry

Posted:Besides, I figure the great Nick Woolsey is a better teacher on a screen, than most in person teachers.

Thank you Nick!

Delete

Posted:thanks - Nick Woolsey is great I agree! I was just watching his video about the windmill and I got it within about 3 minutes!! Its such a great feeling when you learn a new move!

Delete

Trybal Wolf

Trybal Wolf

Wolf Furry

Posted:That it is. Also, you'll find that often times, the longer it takes you to get a move down, the better it feels when you finally get it.

I've been trying to do the reverse 5beat weave for about 8 months! And still can't quite do it! I ended up accidentally learning the reverse 7 and 9beat weaves while I tried to figure it out though, so it's all worth it.

I couldn't say enough good about podpoi, they're most definitely the best LED poi I've ever spun.

Before them, I made my own, and also tried crystal poi, flow poi, and club poi by flowtoys. All of which were great, but podpoi definitely take the cake.

Delete

Trybal Wolf

Trybal Wolf

Wolf Furry

Posted:One question, (twig), how did you find poi?

Delete

Posted:Ermmm it was my friends birthday and we were having a lil party on the beach and one of my friends was spinning them and I just asked her about them...

That was some time ago though and shes moved away... then I watched a documentary about LSD and Burning Dan was spinning them and thats when I decided I wanted to learn!

Delete

Trybal Wolf

Trybal Wolf

Wolf Furry

Posted:Ok cool! I always love hearing how people first found poi.

RIP Burning Dan, we all miss you.

Without Burning Dan, I never would have found poi, so he holds a very special place in my heart. He was quite a guy.

Delete

Posted:I can imagine! Watching his videos he always seems so full of life!

Is it just me... or when you actually think about poi moves they become harder? I mean when I actually THINK I can';t even spin them in split time! I know it sounds weird and I just wondered if I was the only one.

Delete

Trybal Wolf

Trybal Wolf

Wolf Furry

Posted:Haha yes, it often is.

Lots of times when trying to learn a new move, I find that I have to disassociate my mind from my body. A very interesting mental challenge.

As to Burning Dan, he was a very lively guy. One thing I always appreciated about him was that he was a flow spinner, as I am, and not a tech spinner.

Technically I would say that I am a happy hybrid if the two, (think nick woolsey).

Delete

Posted:How long have you been doing it for?

Also, I'm kinda stuck on where to go from here, I have a few basic moves down like the weaves (forwards and backwards), the butterfly (needs some work tho!) the windmall and corkscrew etc and the 'reel turns'

but where do I go from here? I'm really not sure how to progress from here frown

Delete

Trybal Wolf

Trybal Wolf

Wolf Furry

Posted:I have been spinning poi for almost a year and a half. I have done staff, for about 9 years. I also dabble in, contact poi, contact staff, meteor, puppy hammer, levitation wand, and double staff. Staff always seemed a bit limited to me, so I took up poi.

I have been pleased with my progress thus far, I practice a lot and that really helps. Last year, I put in over 1200 hours of poi spinning. So with all my practice, I have progressed at a decent pace.

For me, it is not so much about how many moves you know, as it is about how smoothly and cleanly you can do them as well as being able to combine and transition fluidly between even the most different moves. I believe about 80% of professional fire spinners are lacking in this.

I watch "professionals", and see that yeah, they know a lot of moves, but typically their plane control is terribly lacking, as is their ability to transition fluidly. It's like: butterfly, awkward pause, three beat weave, awkward pause, flower, etc....

Watch say Nick Woolsey or Yuta, and you will see that their spinning is so asthetically pleasing because it flows, it is fluid and clean. The wallplanes and smooth transitions are what makes a performance captivating, not just the moves executed.

I spent over two months just focusing on plane control, and it has helped me immensely. New moves are much easier to learn when your planes are straight.
Plane control is not fun to work on, but it is infinitely rewarding. Turn it into a game!

Also, it is important to just spin, without trying to learn new things at times. You will never find the hidden links between moves, the subtle similarities that will help you beautify your spinning, if you only ever focus on learning new moves.

As to where to go, I would work on the 5 beat weaves if you have not already, you could also look into these moves:

Spiral wraps
The 4 beat windmill
The 4 beat corkscrew
The water mill (a windmill at your hips)
The Mexican wave (a butterfly windmill)
TTN (thread the needle) (like an alternating butterfly)
Flowers, triquettras, and extensions

These are all basic moves you could progress to. If your feeling really ambitious, you could work on BTB (behind the back) weaves.

I hope this is not too much information, and that it is at least somewhat helpful. Good luck!!

Lone Wolf

Delete

Trybal Wolf

Trybal Wolf

Wolf Furry

Posted:One last note, Playpoi.com has some great tutorials for pretty much all the moves I listed.

Delete

Posted:thank you for being so helpful!

I can somehow see my next few weeks ahead involving me hitting myself tongue2

Do you know of any good plane control exercises?

thanks!

twig

Delete

Trybal Wolf

Trybal Wolf

Wolf Furry

Posted:You are very welcome.

I personally find it most beneficial to find a large reflective surface, (like a mirror, or a window at night) watch yourself as you go through your moves. Just try to keep the planes clean and straight.

I also find saloon doors effective. Spin the poi forwards at your sides, then bend the planes until you are spinning inwards in front of you. Then bend back and repeat. You can do the same thing with reverse and outward spinning.

Go to playpoi.com and click "Learn". Then click on "Poi Spinning Basics- beginner series".
I figure that Units 1&2 would be most helpful for you at this point.

Delete

Posted:thanx smile I think there is also maybe the possiblity that I am worrying about it too much, I know you have to break the planes to do the weaves etc and now when I do it I am always noticing how they are not 'straight' at the sides and it bugs me! I think maybe the more you do it the more you kinda notice things about it or something....

Delete

Trybal Wolf

Trybal Wolf

Wolf Furry

Posted:Yes that's exactly how it works. Lots of moves require changes in plane orientation, but plane CONTROL is still very important.

You want to keep that 2 beat weave from ending up swinging above your head.
(Although that is the foundation of the corkscrew!) smile

It's important to practice, because that is how you get a feel for the moves. It's all about muscle memory.

Delete

Posted:ahh its the reverse 3 beat weave with my left hand leading where things get really wonky and i dunno what to do to sort it out! frown

Delete

Trybal Wolf

Trybal Wolf

Wolf Furry

Posted:Try breaking it down. First the motions of the right hand, and then practice the motions of the left. Then just put the two together.

If you can control the planes of your left hand alone, it will be a lot easier to put them together.

Delete

Posted:Thanks and sorry I took so long to reply! But my backwards weaves are looking much nicer now!

Now the problem is I am trying to learn the fountain, and I have only just started using windows as mirrors so i can see how things look and I notice that with the windmill for some reason I keep slipping into a same time kinda pattern but the first few beats are okay.

How do I break that habit?!

Delete

Trybal Wolf

Trybal Wolf

Wolf Furry

Posted:Practice makes perfect.

Good I'm glad your improving! What kind of poi are you currently using? Did you get the flowlights?

Delete

Posted:Currently just some random sock poi, but my podpoi will be here soon! grin

Delete

Trybal Wolf

Trybal Wolf

Wolf Furry

Posted:Yay!!!! I'm so happy you got podpoi!!!! I just bought a second pair on Tuesday!!! I'm so excited!!!!

So what handles will yours have? Simple loop, flowlight, or pomgrip? I had loop handles on my first pair, but now I'm getting pomgrips so I can work on throws and catches.

Flowtoys rock!!!!!

(If I seem a little over enthusiastic.... I might be... No. Definitely not.)

Flowtoys!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Delete

Trybal Wolf

Trybal Wolf

Wolf Furry

Posted:Also when trying to keep the windmill split-time, try counting beats as you spin.

"1,2,1,2,1,2......"

Delete

Posted:Thanks! I will try that! Its going to be a nice day tomorrow so I can practice lots!

Delete

Posted:I dont believe this, i cant even do it at all anymore! Lol am i flogging a dead horse? I just ordered podpoi too frown

Delete

Page: 12