Forums > Introductions > poi teachers in sydney for beginner? And an intro!

Login/Join to Participate

Transquidnewbie
4 posts

Posted:
Greetings.

I live in Sydney, around Dural.

I would really, really like to learn fire poi, but I don't trust myself doing the whole "self-taught" thing.

If you offer lessons, let me know.

Or let it rest on your concience that somewhere in Sydney, a misguided young soul is severly burning herself because she doesn't know any better, and you could be doing something about it!!

thank you for your time.

And here is my intro.

Name: Tamari A.K.A Tater

Hometown: Tel-Aviv, once upon a time.

DOB: 1990

Age: this is an opportunity to exercise your mathematical skills.

Sex: Must.. Resist.. Female.

Occupation(s): In the process of being educated. OR BRAINWASHED.

Favorite Food(s): Pocky and miniature marshmellows.

Favorite Color(s): fluro orange and most shades of purple.

Toys: This strikes me as a poi question.

Hobbies other than the obvious: Doing artistic things with a pen, concert going, walking without a purpose against serene backdrops...

Favorite Book(s): The Princess Bride, A Room with a View, the Discworld series.

Favorite Movie(s): High Fidelity, Look Both Ways, Pulp Fiction

Favorite TV show(s): Grey's Anatomy, Rage, the chaser's war on everything.

Plans for life in general: (i.e. what you want to do when you grow up) Ideally, graphic design or national geographic photographer smile

Favorite Music Artists/Composers: Radiohead, Muse, Silverchair, Broken Social Scene, Jeff Buckley

Favorie ice cream flavor(s): chocolate chip cookie dough

Marmite, Vegemite, or Nutella? Nutella, no competition

EDITED_BY: Transquid (1168071078)

DentrassiGOLD Member
ZORT!
3,045 posts

Posted:
Howdy!

alas, i do not live in Sydney anymore, but you may find [Old link] that i used to update still quite relevent.

If your in Dural, id say the closest group to you is the Macpyros at Macquarie Uni - they will probably start up again in feb/mar with the new semester.

in the meantime - check Sydney Juggling Convention happening over Australia Day long weekend (theres a thread in the events section somewhere - do a search and you should find it!)

hopefully that helps!

apart from that - since youve posted this in the Introductions sections - tell us more about yourself! (check out rough template at top of intros index page)

E ubbrollsmile
EDITED_BY: Dentrassi (1168006841)

"Here kitty kitty...." - Schroedinger.

Transquidnewbie
4 posts

Posted:
My deepest thanks.

keyarghahPLATINUM Member
Woodford is Goodford..!
241 posts

Posted:
if youre still looking for friends i can find you a hundred million fire twirlers in sydney smile mostly in the city though, i used to live out hoornsby way but have moved
love ciara

'FREE HUGGIES!!'

caro160BRONZE Member
stranger
6 posts

Posted:
hello !

I know this post has been sent ages ago but I also live in Sydney and would like to find a fire poi teacher eather in the city itself or in the suburb up north (north ryde, where I live smile ).

So if anybody knows anybody...!

thanks !

beaniebobGOLD Member
casually noob tech poi spinrar
155 posts

Posted:
Yo. I live in Sydney as well, not sure about North Ryde, but I hear that University of Sydney has a circus society called Surcas that does fire twirling (and all sorts of other circus activities).
They have weekly meetings of some sort I think, but you can probably find them with a quick google search (they've got a facebook page/group lurking around somewhere).

Otherwise if you can be bothered trekking it out to Kensington, UNSW has Circusoc, which is pretty similar. We have two weekly meetings, Sundays 12-4pm, and Mondays 5-10pm at the Physics Lawn of UNSW. We hold fire sessions most Mondays, but right now poi workshops aren't happening because we lack a decent amount of poi to hold them.

Barring these two, I've heard of a monthly gathering called Stone Circle that does all sorts of fire twirling, and I've met a guy from a group called Circus Avalon who I'm pretty sure have a skills workshop or training place somewhere in Sydney. (and they do teach poi).

"If all else fails, immortality can always be assured by spectacular error."

caro160BRONZE Member
stranger
6 posts

Posted:
alright thank you !!!! grin

beaniebobGOLD Member
casually noob tech poi spinrar
155 posts

Posted:
Oh, just so you know, I'm not sure about the other groups but it's free to come to Circusoc, but if you want to do any fire you'll need to pay for membership which covers the cost of fuel and equipment. (Circus has numerous fire staves, and two sets of fire poi at the moment)

I think it's $10 annually for membership if one is not a member of ARC (UNSW student union), and $5 if you are an ARC member

Dunno about the other groups, but I think Stone Circle is an informal gathering, so I doubt they charge anything.

"If all else fails, immortality can always be assured by spectacular error."

caro160BRONZE Member
stranger
6 posts

Posted:
great ! I am already in the underwater club of the UNSW ! so I will join the fire one lol ! I just wrote on email to the secretary of the club, Amelia explained me a couple of things

thank you again

lanshan75stranger
4 posts

Posted:
I am totally agree with what you said,but my English is poor, sometiomes I don't know how to express my feeling,I just want to make some friends who can help me in my English and share the happiness with each other.

jeremylinstranger
5 posts

Posted:
i used to live out hoornsby way but have moved
love ciara