Forums > Social Discussion > Help with hidden cigarettes

Login/Join to Participate
Page:
JayKittyGOLD Member
Mission: Ignition
534 posts

Posted:
So the problem I'm faced with is finding cigarettes....
I work on a locked psych unit that has banned smoking. Now for anyone who has ever seen a movie about a psych unit, you're gunna see each and every one of them chain smoking. For whatever reason the hospital banned smoking and going out for a smoke break is out of the question for patients. The result is that the patients find ways to smoke anyway, and when caught have always smoked their last cigarette using their last match they just flushed down the toilet.
After tearing the room apart I can't find anything, I need help from the devious minds at HoP to help me figure out where the cigarettes are hidden. At worst, the lighters, because fire and mentally unstable people are awful combinations! But we already knew that crazy
Any advice would be helpful.

Don't mind me, just passing through.

Raoul_HagenbeekGOLD Member
Pyromancer extraordinair
88 posts

Posted:
Oh Jaykitty, there are many places to hide your cigs,

But to be of real help I'd like to know what the patiƫnt have in their room, furniture wise.

Cigs can be hidden in a bedframe easily, behind or under a loose tile. Inside a pillow or many other places.

Oh and about the toilet, is it one that hangs from the wall, then check if there is no room on the underside to hide a pack of cigs.

Probably the problem is they hide the cigs loose, so you shouldn't look for packages but for loose ones, easier to hide.

What is life, without a little risk!

JayKittyGOLD Member
534 posts

Posted:
The beds are heavy solid low wooden beds, that's the first thing I go for. They have closets without doors with only three shelves, so I search to see if they have any hidden in the clothes. The bathroom is pretty bare, the unit has been childproofed so noone can try and commit suicide. We just got rid of our drop ceilings too. I've even looked inside the automatic soap dispenser... found remnents, but no cigs, they were one step ahead. I've checked tops of doors and under matresses. I'm thinking they have a drop point somewhere so they don't have it in their rooms.
There's also getting to be a problem of people cheeking meds and then exchanging them for cigs... and other things not PG enough for HoP.

Pyromancer extraordinair
88 posts

Posted:
Well, if your looking for droppoints try the strangest places you can imagine.

- Near fire-extinguishers
- Dining room tables
- showerheads
- soap dispensers (which you allready checked)
- paper towel or toiletpaper hangers (be sure to check the toiletrolls themselves, you don't wanna know how many cigs you can hide by rolling one out and then in again with the cigs.)
- under toiletseats (very unsanitary, but good hiding places.)
- aformentioned loose tiles

And when walking around the building pay special attention to ledges that seem to small to hide anything. keyholes, floorcreaks, high shelves.

in room: check the closets closely for hidden creecks behind or besides the shelves. Flip over the bed and check every creek aswell. examine the matresses for small holes.

when checking clothes, don't forget to double check the seeming.

The best way to find the smokes is to "smell" your patients.
You can smell a fresh smoke on someone most of the time. Then trace their steps back to where they went. just be sure you don't catch them redhanded or they'll dispose of the evidence ASAP. first find the droppoint/hiding place then catch them.

The lighters are probably kept on their body somewhere, I don't know how far you can go with frisking, but seems of paints or shirts are popular places. Matches can be hidden in your hair or other small places (yes this indludes the PG places unfortunatly)

Well the med problem is only going to increase if the board insists on banning smokes, not all patiƫnt have outside supliers so they will have to get their sigs from their fellow patients. The only thing for them to bargain with is their meds or themselves (if you catch the drift).

On a sidenote, I must say that I think banning smoking from a place like that is just plain old torture. And impossible for that matter aswell. The people there might be mental, but they ain't crazy. The best way to tackle the problem of sneaking sigs would be a room for smokers, but that probably ain't gonna happen.

A second sidenote, I know of these problems not because I worked at a ward or was once in one. But I have a friend facing a similiair problem.

animatEdBRONZE Member
1 + 1 = 3
3,540 posts

Posted:
You could always buy your own pack of cigarettes, and spend some time in an unoccupied room looking for as many cunning places to hide your cigarettes as possible. put yourself in their shoes, as it were. Obviously doing this in a room that has an occupier is a bad idea... wink especially if you want to keep your job...

But it'll give you more of an idea of where you should be looking, and can be pretty fun too.

Empty your mind. Be formless, Shapeless, like Water.
Put Water into a cup, it becomes the cup, put water into a bottle, it becomes the bottle, put water into a teapot, it becomes the teapot.
Water can flow, or it can Crash.
Be Water My Friend.

JayKittyGOLD Member
534 posts

Posted:
I've looked in some crazy places tonight and found some damn good spots, I just gotta keep an eye out for them. As for the smoking thing, I agree with them being able to smoke, it calms them down, whatever. Its just the ENTIRE hospital went smoke free about 9 months ago... employees and all. You want crazy? tell an ER nurse who's smoked for 15 years she can't light up anymore. Thanks for the input Raoul, its really helpful.

And good advice Cook, I thought about all the rediculous places to hide stuff and found some old spots. ^_^ I feel bad playing cigarette nazi, but i really like my job.

Rouge DragonBRONZE Member
Insert Champagne Here
13,215 posts

Posted:
Can't say about cigarettes, but when I was a bartender for function it would drive me up the wall that the smuggled in bottles of vodka would always end up where I had just looked (not kidding!)

And really, it makes sense: hide it where the person just looked, that way they are unlikely to look there again any time soon.

i would have changed ***** to phallus, and claire to petey Petey

Rougie: but that's what I'm doing here
Arnwyn: what letting me adjust myself in your room?..don't you dare quote that on HoP...

faith enfireBRONZE Member
wandering thru the woods of WI
3,556 posts

Posted:
door frames, I'd hide mine on top of the door frame

Look up. We have a tendency not to look up when looking for things. i found that out when playing hide and seek as a kid and found it to be true for the most part as I've gotten older

Faith
Nay, whatever comes one hour was sunlit and the most high gods may not make boast of any better thing than to have watched that hour as it passed

JayKittyGOLD Member
534 posts

Posted:
The more I think about it Rouge, the more likley that sounds. Maybe I'm a step to far ahead instead of being one behind. And for some odd reason the builders put a little groove on the top of the door... it perfect for hiding a cigarette. But with about 25 rooms to search, it gets rough.

Mother_Natures_SonSILVER Member
Rampant whirler.
2,418 posts

Posted:
I hope that rule doesnt last too long, Jaykitty, sounds like a lot of extra work for you and it sounds like its punishment for the 'inmates'

I'm not a smoker myself, but I've been there... being deprived of something like that doesn't seem to make sense.

hug

Mr MajestikSILVER Member
coming to a country near you
4,696 posts

Posted:
yeah, with experience in a secure mental health facility i know they have a long time to think about where to hide things...

they were thinking about banning smoking when i was there, lucky they hadnt already. i know its a good detractions for them in the short term but if you consider the long term the likelihood is they will be deprived of the addictiveness and get over it in a while. good luck with it smile

"but have you considered there is more to life than your eyelids?"

jointly owned by Fire_Spinning_Angel and Blu_Valley

FireTomStargazer
6,650 posts

Posted:
^^^ I side that and would be the worst snifferdog to search for these guys cigarettes ever wink

I really not into policing other people as long as they don't get them or my self into jail otherwise...

the best smiles are the ones you lead to wink

JayKittyGOLD Member
534 posts

Posted:
I know the rule is kinda dumb, but the hospital is really gung ho about being smoke free. Not sure why but they did. And really, between talking down violent patients and at the moment cleaning the angry geriatric patient with explosive diarrhea, and making sure no one is trying to kill themselves, I've got better things to do then track down cigarettes.

I've been working doubles all week... I need a good poi session like they need a smoke.

MynciBRONZE Member
Macaque of all trades
8,738 posts

Posted:
1) inside toilet cistern,
2) inside a light socket or power socket easily unscrewed
3) curtains are always a place to hide stuff (on top, in folds)
4) Any thick Hem (can slice a folded hem and fill with stuff.)
5) Lamp shade
6) look for a stash can looks like a can of drink feels like one too but unscrews to leave a nice space
7) soles of shoes - generally hollow with plastic dividers or tounge
8) long hair
9) inside a felt tip pen with the colour bit removed
10) makeup or personal hygiene bottles (can unscrew a roll on deodorant)
11) between floorboards or skirtiing boards.

I have 100's of these, firstly because I knew someone in the prison service and he told me all the places they hid drugs and second because I was an ace at easter egg hunts laugh3 oh and because I'm sneaky.

A couple of balls short of a full cascade... or maybe a few cards short of a deck... we'll see how this all fans out.

Mother_Natures_SonSILVER Member
Rampant whirler.
2,418 posts

Posted:
The most ridiculous thing here is that they havent explained WHY they got rid of the cigs to the people that will have to enforce this...

You SHOULD know why. I'm sure you have got better things to do.... but this system of exchanging cigarettes for things is a MUCH worse system to have in play... I disagree with getting over it in while... you get over the chemical addiction to smoking, but never the habitual... I think a better idea would be to take their cigarettes and give them a ration of how many they can have a day if you really wanna control how much they smoke... Though from there some that don't want smokes would still be trading them...

hug

JayKittyGOLD Member
534 posts

Posted:
Its not just a psych rule though, the proble is the hospital went healthy and banned smoking everywhere. No one is arguing that smoking is healthy for you. Its beat, but a rule is a rule. The smoking isnt an issue, like I said, if they are smoking, they have lighters, and thats the bigger problem in a locked unit, lol.

Mynci, keep great places, keep them coming please!

UCOFSILVER Member
15,417 posts

Posted:
Lols at this thread grin

Tried stopping the problem at the source, rather than clearing up the mess?

How are they getting the smokeables in the first place?

Are they smuggling them in during visits from relatives, or is someone in the building selling them on?

Mr MajestikSILVER Member
4,696 posts

Posted:
Originally Posted By: Mother_Natures_SonI think a better idea would be to take their cigarettes and give them a ration of how many they can have a day if you really wanna control how much they smoke

the reason they were discussing banning smoking is because its bad for peoples health and in a prison health system (especially in patients with a compromised mental status) it contradicts duty of care to allow patients to engage in a harmful activity.

like UCOF said, if you focus on where they are getting the smokes (or anyhting else for that matter) and stop the source hopefully you'll resolve the problem.

MynciBRONZE Member
Macaque of all trades
8,738 posts

Posted:
get visitors to turn out pockets, any tobacco to be held and returned upon exit. you can put a name stickers on the cigarette packet laugh3

A couple of balls short of a full cascade... or maybe a few cards short of a deck... we'll see how this all fans out.

JayKittyGOLD Member
534 posts

Posted:
I trakced it down to one girl. I think her visitors were bringing them in because when she left... the smoking stopped, lol. This isn't the first time this has happened and I'm sure it won't be the last. We inspect packages that the visitors bring in, but for some reason managment won't let us search the actual people. Go figure.

So for the time being, the problem is solved, I'm really grateful for all the hints. I'm sure I'll have to post on here again in the future.

JayKittyGOLD Member
534 posts

Posted:
The best part about the hospital wide cigarette ban is that patients on the med floors have to sneak out to smoke. The funniest thing...

For a month I saw this frail looking man smoking at the side door every night when I came to work. Eventually I asked him, why is he coming out at at the same time every night. It turns out after his IV therapy and breathing treatment, he really needed a smoke. Funnies thing ever, he propped the door open with his cane so he could get back in.

natasqiaddict
489 posts

Posted:
This is really interesting to me as I spent a year doing a research project on Psych patients and smoking (as our hospitals had introduced a smoking ban).

Our hospital wasn't as strict as yours seems to be as the outside corridors were always filled with psych patients smoking. I HATED WALKING THROUGH A CLOUD OF SMOKE TO ENTER THE DOOR. Though its basically an unused corridor (only med students use it), and it's not really anyone's job to police the ban.

Fine_Rabid_DogInternet Hate Machine
10,530 posts

Posted:
Originally Posted By: natasqiI HATED WALKING THROUGH A CLOUD OF SMOKE TO ENTER THE DOOR.

And yet you seem to have no problem sticking burning fuel in your mouth tongue2

The existance of flamethrowers says that someone, somewhere, at sometime said "I need to set that thing on fire, but it's too far away."

Mr MajestikSILVER Member
4,696 posts

Posted:
Originally Posted By: Fine_Rabid_DogOriginally Posted By: natasqiI HATED WALKING THROUGH A CLOUD OF SMOKE TO ENTER THE DOOR.

And yet you seem to have no problem sticking burning fuel in your mouth tongue2

laugh3

FireTomStargazer
6,650 posts

Posted:
and standing in a cloud of burnt fossil fuels for entertainment purposes, filling your nostrils with black sticky mucous...

I'm certain that some environmentalists would love to put *us* in a psych hospital... wink

FireTomStargazer
6,650 posts

Posted:
PS: ain't this thread (title) better suited in "Help"? tongue2

:wrongforum: spank

offtopic spank

wink

EDITED_BY: FireTom (1250495267)

natasqiaddict
489 posts

Posted:
*nods* It's my choice to fire eat.. and I should also be able to enter buildings without breathing in someone else's pesticides, rat poison etc etc. Plus I find Recosol G doesn't leave you smelling like an ash tray and make you need to wash your hair.

On our Perth Fire Group we were discussing our smoke vs smoking smoke due to all the things you find in it but that is Off Topic.

Pyromancer extraordinair
88 posts

Posted:
So true, you don't get that ashtray smell... Lawnmower perhaps, but definatly not ashtray ;-)

FireTomStargazer
6,650 posts

Posted:
Originally Posted By: natI should also be able to enter buildings without breathing in someone else's pesticides, rat poison etc etc. Plus I find Recosol G doesn't leave you smelling like an ash tray and make you need to wash your hair.

a) *nods* you "should", but usually you don't and if you don't like it, don't get inside. most of the time you wouldn't even know of asbestos or (rat) poison to start with.
b) smell is a matter of personal perception. any isoparaffinic hydrocarbon will leave smell on you, and it's not Chanel #5

still offtopic but I fink sat we have little right to force people to treat their bodies well. sey should have smokers-sections... as far as it goes wif sem lighters or matches - I agree sey should be taken away (but sey wouldn't need to hide sem in seir cells, if sere'd be smoker's sections (with complimentary lighters))

wink

Fine_Rabid_DogInternet Hate Machine
10,530 posts

Posted:
Originally Posted By: FireTomOriginally Posted By: natI should also be able to enter buildings without breathing in someone else's pesticides, rat poison etc etc. Plus I find Recosol G doesn't leave you smelling like an ash tray and make you need to wash your hair.

a) *nods* you "should", but usually you don't and if you don't like it, don't get inside. most of the time you wouldn't even know of asbestos or (rat) poison to start with.

Unfortunately, I think he was more referring to the contents of a cigarette then that of a building.

S'why I smoke rollies grin

The existance of flamethrowers says that someone, somewhere, at sometime said "I need to set that thing on fire, but it's too far away."

JayKittyGOLD Member
534 posts

Posted:
I'm not against smoking, its not my place to say they shouldn't smoke. It is a locked unit with no real safe place to smoke though. I think that its relaxing them through whatever problems they are having, then yeah, go for it. Stupid rule, I know. I just have to enforce it. I've been getting good at it too, lol.

Also, I rather enjoy eau de colemans.

Page: