Forums > Technical Discussion > Pro series chains - single loop grip

Login/Join to Participate

overacidGOLD Member
stranger
8 posts

Posted:
Hello there,

I am a proud owner of the new pro series chains with single loops - https://www.homeofpoi.com/shop/productDe...le-loop-handles

I usually use double loops on my fire poi because that's what i've been used to for years now, but i'm starting to use single loops in my practice sets so thought it best to move to completely using single loops even with fire, hence the purchase of single not double.

Now, a couple of things, first the chains are fabulous, they look and feel sexy, they are a little heavy though - too heavy for monkey fists IMO as they take the centre weight away from the heads and make isolations harder, so i currently have them hooked up to my Isis heads from Salza.se. Perfect. This makes for one very heavy set of poi though.

I can't seem to find the grip i like with the single loops. I've tried Nick Woolsey's style grip, forehand and backhand, and find that my fingers start to lose circulation due to the weight and the knot becoming tighter with centrifugal force. I tend to prefer the key grip as it has most control when using lighter sets, but can't find a good way to get my fingers through those loops (without losing circulation) to add more safety to my fire set.

Any help or words of advice would be hugely appreciated. And yes, i realise there has been many a discussion on single vs. double before - i have searched the forums, but believe this deserves a new thread since the pro series chains and handles are different to all the ones in the past. smile

Cheers!
Matt

Anthony_LameratoGOLD Member
stranger
3 posts

Posted:
I have the same chains and I use a grip that I set up like this:

pinch entire loop between your middle and ring finger with your palm facing down. Then spread the part on the back side of your hand into another loop, still pinched between your middle 2 finger, and that around the front of those same fingers.

looking at your palm it would look like this

-----
a||

or something like that.

Not sure if that's the one Nick uses, but I haven't had any circulation problems.
EDITED_BY: Anthony_Lamerato (1249011470)

overacidGOLD Member
stranger
8 posts

Posted:
Thanks for the reply... Yeah that's the one that Nick uses. It could be beacause my Isis heads are just too heavy, causing the whole set to be uber heavy esp. when after dipping has soaked up fuel... or either i'm just not used to the grip.

What heads do you have on your chains?

Anthony_LameratoGOLD Member
stranger
3 posts

Posted:
Just your run of the mill monkeyfists. The Isis heads are only 10 g heavier apiece but of course it's all about how it feels to you. Sorry I couldn't have been more help, good luck

overacidGOLD Member
stranger
8 posts

Posted:
No worries. Are you sure the Isis heads are only 10g heavier? Man, they feel loads heavier than monkeys to me.

Does anyone else have any tips? Maybe some hints for getting used to them going from double loops to single loops ? Am committed to getting this working!

Cheers

Mother_Natures_SonSILVER Member
Rampant whirler.
2,418 posts

Posted:
Looking it up, the HoP monkeyfists are 145 grams each, the isis heads are 160 grams each.

Maybe you're spinning too fast?

Either way, you should find the grip that suits you. Clearly that grip isn't working for you. I use a key grip, myself. So if I were using single loops I'd put my ring and pinkie finger through the loop and grip the rest of it.

My actual fire rig just has chain-swivel-chain-swivel-poi head and I wrap the chains before the first swivel around my hands. smile

hug

overacidGOLD Member
stranger
8 posts

Posted:
I've just weighed my heads up: (both have had a fair few burns, so not sure if that affects them.)
Isis (from salza) - 150g
Monkey fist (from HoP) - 110g

Almost a third heavier, and you can really notice it when your chains are ~250g. Perhaps it's just me, but my muscle memory gets thrown off since the centre weight of the set is further up the chain than at the heads which i am used to.

Definitely not an issue of spinning too fast - i'm a slow spinner, i like long drawn out patterns. Been at it around 4 years - so it's not a case of beginner spinning wink

Cool - yeah i think i'm just not used to the tightness around my fingers. I'm used to pressure only on one side of my fingers at a time with double loops, that's probably it. Double loops have worked perfectly for me for so long i cant help thinking that maybe i should stick to them, but i am willing to give the single loops a go a little longer as i really enjoy single loops on my practice set, and the consistency would be nice since I have noticed that some moves (360 anti flowers for instance) which are easier / have more control with key grip.

Originally Posted By: Mother_Natures_Son I use a key grip, myself. So if I were using single loops I'd put my ring and pinkie finger through the loop and grip the rest of it.
This is what i use on my practice set. Is this safe for fire? I feel like there's more chance of them coming off during a performance. Do you have a way to lock it around your pinkie and ring, or are they just both through the loop?

Thanks heaps guys, i know it's a lot of trial and error, but i'll get there in the end with your help!!! grin
Cheers

Mother_Natures_SonSILVER Member
Rampant whirler.
2,418 posts

Posted:
The safest method for me is the one that gives me the most control. If you're gripping the fire poi it shouldn't be an issue... if you tend to let go during practice then its not the best idea to try that grip with fire.

hug

willow2xSILVER Member
KeepTheWorldSpinning Originator
49 posts

Posted:
i like to have them hanging off my ring fingers, wrap them under my hand so i can grip them between my thumb and index.
if i need them little shorter for tech ill wrap it all again over my middle finger and round again.

has anyone used the kevlar sleeves for spiral wraps? likw off nicks video...
jus wonderin how we keep them from freying, im thinking pva glue. and maby if i fold it in on itself i can glue it in that way

any help you guys n gals?

KeepTheWorldSpinning with me =]

LyeFate Keeps Telling Me To Stop
270 posts

Posted:
I put them on my hand minus thumb with my palm face down and the chain hanging down, then you can pull the handle through your index and middle finger so it's like the double loop

then you can flip the handle so it's flush and not twisted at all. it actually is exactly like double loop except you can't throw. it kind of even feels better.

This is what I'm talking about:

Non-Https Image Link

Non-Https Image Link

JayKittyGOLD Member
Mission: Ignition
534 posts

Posted:
Lmao, MNS, you just solved the handle debate in the best way. How does that work out though? I'm thinking with the chain covering your hand you could do some neat stuff holding the poi on fire.

Don't mind me, just passing through.

astonSILVER Member
Unofficial Chairperson of Squirrel Defense League
4,061 posts

Posted:
Originally Posted By: Mother_Natures_SonMy actual fire rig just has chain-swivel-chain-swivel-poi head and I wrap the chains before the first swivel around my hands. smile

Does this not cause chafing? I know that my set does a bit, although that is a doorstop with the chain through it, pinned in place with a thin nail.

'We're all mad here. I'm mad, you're mad." [said the Cat.]
"How do you know I'm mad?" said Alice.
"You must be," said the Cat, "Or you wouldn't have come here."
- Lewis Carroll, Alice's Adventures In Wonderland

stillhumanSILVER Member
stranger
7 posts

Posted:
i also have the pro series single loop chains and i use the grip that i believe nevisoul uses. the loop goes around the ring finger only, back up through your hand and is gripped with the index finger and thumb. i find this gives me the best control, however with the pro series chains, the loop they provide is a bit too long for optimal comfort and control. unfortunately they are sewn well and i have not figured out how to modify them yet (i'm not good at sewing). i bought a pair of flowtoys and shortened the single loop they provided by about 3 cm and it is perfect.

stillhumanSILVER Member
stranger
7 posts

Posted:
just posted a response describing the same grip as yours. smile

i've never used the sleeves but i have a friend who does and he dipped both ends in pva glue and it seems to work perfectly.

e6SILVER Member
we are the music makers, we are the dreamers of dreams
45 posts

Posted:
i also bought the HoP single loop handles, but i don't like single loop handles so i've converted them to ball handles. i altered drex's tutorial for making stage ball poi with handles made from rubber chair feet (little rubber caps for the feet of chairs that you can buy at any hardware store) to fit on the single loops.

drex's tutorial is here:

pictures of my variation for the HoP single loops are here:
https://picasaweb.google.com/takethepicturenow/HomeOfPoiSingleLoopHandleConversion#

stillhumanSILVER Member
stranger
7 posts

Posted:
very interesting! i've been wanting to mod my fire poi for throws. you've given me some good ideas.