Forums > Help! > I need help finding, and choosing fire spinning poi for a friend.

Login/Join to Participate

DaZeD840BRONZE Member
Noob
6 posts

Posted:
My friend has been spinning poi for a few years now and has wanted to start spinning fire poi for a while but has been short on cash and unable to start the transition into fire poi. For Christmas i want to get him everything he would need to at least start the transition into fire poi, but i honestly have no idea where to go, or even what to buy.

So I'm looking for an intermediate poi set, with everything you would need to start spinning fire. HELP!

Mother_Natures_SonSILVER Member
Rampant whirler.
2,418 posts

Posted:
I'd get these...

https://www.homeofpoi.com/shop/productDetails/Pair-of-Cathedral-twisted-oval-link-FIRE-POI

I mean, I bought the ball chain version, but I'm going to put oval link on instead now. Thats personal preference, but oval link feels a lot nicer to me.

Oh and something like this https://www.homeofpoi.com/shop/productDetails/Pair-of-fluffy-FIRE-head-covers

Is a good idea, but I wouldnt buy em, I'd just make em.
EDITED_BY: Mother_Natures_Son (1225944586)

hug

DaZeD840BRONZE Member
Noob
6 posts

Posted:
I forgot to mention, my friend is on the shorter side, he is only about 5'3" tall, and he told me that he prefers heavier heads. I'm not entirely sure if that comes into play, but i just figured i would throw it out there.

Are there any other tools that would be needed? Any chemicals, or? I'm completely clueless so i'm trying to get everything that would be needed. What about replacement heads? How often do you need to replace the heads? I've searched around a little bit but i dont want to make any mistakes and blow my friends Christmas...This is something i really think will cheer him up.

edit: Those furry head covers look pretty cool, do they like simulate the air resistance of what it would be like to spin fire? I know my friend makes his own poi, and has a few sets of poi made from stuffed tennis balls, etc.. would those work on those poi as a start?
EDITED_BY: DaZeD840 (1225945057)

Mother_Natures_SonSILVER Member
Rampant whirler.
2,418 posts

Posted:
If he's shorter you might want to get shortish chains, but I personally have mine exceedingly long because I like to wrap around my fingers.

Cathedral heads full of fuel are heavyish. I prefer quite heavy poi and cathedrals do me fine. I think I'd like the weight of monkeyfists, but they're added cost, as well, I think if I were to get another fire set it'd be isis heads. https://www.salza.se/product.php?p=106

But I don't much fancy the rig, just the heads with my current handles and different oval links.

Chemicals aren't necessary unless you want to get different coloured flames, but that doesn't fuss me hugely, I dunno about your friend. But thats extra expense anyway, he can pick that up later down the track if he feels like it.

You'd just need those, fuel, and the required safety equipment (Thats all fairly well documented on the site) A can to dip into and a funnel, the rest of the safety equip you should be able to find around the home, just look it up on the site, the fire poi set also comes with a fire safety DVD which should help.

Heads don't need replacing very often at all, I've had my same heads for a year now and they're fine.

I dont think the air resistance would really be very much at all.

hug

DaZeD840BRONZE Member
Noob
6 posts

Posted:
Thanks for taking the time to explain the basics to a noob, I appreciate it, I'll keep searching around the site for more information.

Thanks again.