• All Purchases made this month instantly go into the draw to win a USD $ 100.00 credit to your HoP account.

Posted:every time I start to swing my fuzzy practice poi, they slip off my fingers, I have the ones where it's 2 loops. Is there something I can do, or a better way to hold them to keep them on? right now I put them on my middle and ring finger. I've got the nifty video and each time I open my hands they start slipping off.

Delete Topic

MikeIcon
GOLD Member since Mar 2003

MikeIcon

Pooh-Bah

Total posts: 2109
Posted:Id say to try on your first and second fingers...

Also, when spinning at your sides, do not hold the poi with your palm facing down. Hold the poi with your palm facing inward (ie your two palms should be facing each other) and your fingers pointed straight ahead of you (kind of like if you were holding a box in front of you.

If these tips don't help, perhaps try a different style of grip such as a ball handle which will force you to keep a hold of your poi. Personally, I prefer the ball grip and will usually hold onto the chains while spinning, even on poi with looped handles.

Let's turn those old bridges we crossed into ashes.
We'll blaze a new trail,
and torch the rough patches.

-Me

Delete

Birgit
BRONZE Member since Jan 2005

Birgit

had her carpal tunnel surgery already thanks v much

Total posts: 4145
Posted:You can also put down your thumb on the 2 fingers holding the poi, though I agree with Icon that you should try the index/middle finger.

How far up on the fingers do you have the loops? Maybe shifting them up a bit would help?

"vices are like genitals - most are ugly to behold, and yet we find that our own are dear to us."
(G.W. Dahlquist)

Owner of Dragosani's left half

Delete

squid
BRONZE Member since Apr 2007

squid

sanguine

Total posts: 382
Posted:This is what I do for double loops: try holding your hand flat, palm face down. Put the loops on the 2nd and 3rd fingers and let your forefinger and thumb pinch the end of the handle right in front of the chain attachment. You can keep the poi's weight on the middle and control with your pinch. You can also open your palm at times without too much concern about flying off your hand.

"to a man whose only tool is a hammer, the whole world looks like a nail." Abraham Maslow

Delete

Posted:ah ha i will try all ur suggestions, thanks.
btw dr. i've got them up as far as they would go.

should the poi hang from the palm or the back of my hand? I've been doing it from the back.

the other thing I thought was just that maybe the loops were just too big 4 my fingers, cuz they are a bit skinny, and maybe taking tiny rubberbands on each loop to sinch them more onto my fingers.... would that work or would it cause movement issues?

Delete

MikeIcon
GOLD Member since Mar 2003

MikeIcon

Pooh-Bah

Total posts: 2109
Posted:It is really best to hold the poi rather high on your fingers, like above the middle knuckle.

You should not need to tighten the loops. It is all about control and how you hold the loops in your fingers. I can just as easily spin with very long loops as smaller ones. The main thing is, you do not want handles that attach themselves tightly to you (especially with fire poi) in case you need to let them go quickly.

Let's turn those old bridges we crossed into ashes.
We'll blaze a new trail,
and torch the rough patches.

-Me

Delete

squid
BRONZE Member since Apr 2007

squid

sanguine

Total posts: 382
Posted:Its completely personal preference as to whether to let the poi hang from the palm or back of your hand. Each one feels different and can influence your movements.

I'll second MikeIcon's opinion regarding tightness, though. Always think worst case scenario. There's a conversation on another site where the parachute connectors on someone's ball chain poi somehow slipped together and locked.....one fire head and one handle. In a case like that, do you really want those handles to be synched on tightly?

"to a man whose only tool is a hammer, the whole world looks like a nail." Abraham Maslow

Delete

Posted:I've got the loops up as high as they will go.

and good point about the fire aspect, although I'm not there yet, gooooood point.

Delete

Pink...?
BRONZE Member since Apr 2002

Pink...?

Mistress of Pink...Multicoloured

Total posts: 6140
Posted:Personally If I'm using double finger loops I twist them before putting them on my fingers. Hard to explain in writing, but I take the top end of the loop and twist it once before I put them on.

But I do usually use ball ends on my poi.

Never pick up a duck in a dungeon...

Delete

FireTom

Stargazer

Total posts: 6650
Posted:I ubblove HoP-community bounce

No laughs - no foolish remarks smile

We've all been there at some stage weavesmiley

the best smiles are the ones you lead to wink

Delete

Gnor
BRONZE Member since Mar 2003

Gnor

Carpal \'Tunnel

Total posts: 5814
Posted:Get sock long and wrap them multiple times around your hand.
hug hug hugmake then coming off a feature and practice those catches.
Get really long poi and wear them on your arms like leads. The at least they wont fly offski.

Is it the Truth?
Is it Fair to all concerned?
Will it build Goodwill and Better Friendships?
Will it be Beneficial to all concerned?

Im in a lonely battle with the world with a fish to match the chip on my shoulder. Gnu in Binnu in a cnu

Delete

UCOF
SILVER Member since Apr 2002

UCOF

Carpal \'Tunnel

Total posts: 15414
Posted: Written by : Squid

Its completely personal preference as to whether to let the poi hang from the palm or back of your hand.

Is is personal preferance, but it is easier and you will have more control if they come from the back of your hand. If you have the string from the palm, they could very easily get caught on your fingers and not spin freely. smile

Delete

Mother_Natures_Son
SILVER Member since Aug 2007

Mother_Natures_Son

Rampant whirler.

Total posts: 2418
Posted:All these suggestions are good, I'd suggest making a pair of socks, anyway. Balloons with rice in, about 1/2 a cup or so in the bottom of colourful socks. biggrin

Nice and easy and it means you can play with throws and that kind of thing. It also makes it easier to do length changes for different movements or effects. Buzzsaws are easier with shortened poi, for example...

But if you do truly love your fluffy poi, you could remove the double loop handles, attach a piece of fabric of your choice to it and hold that, perhaps even have it long enough that you can wrap it once around one of your fingers or some such thing. Or you could have a single loop of fabric, allowing you to use the grip you currently speak of that would grip slightly tighter http://www.homeofpoi.com/lessons_all/teach/Library-POI-Beginners-part-1-Holding-the-poi-3_7_7 as well as being able to transition to a grip that'll allow throws...

And by the way, I don't think anyone would bother to laugh, I've got video of me doing a 2bt weave then a "3bt weave" as well as a corkscrew and a "4bt corkscrew" They're in inverted commas because they're actually no different except they have an extra little wiggle put into the transitions. The best way to learn is to admit your weaknesses and work out how best to address them, often other people can help. biggrin

*These suggestions aren't to go against the others on this page, they're good suggestions if they work for you, but if not, theres this!*

Happy spinning!! weavesmiley

EDITED_BY: Mother_Natures_Son (1214217010)

hug

Delete

Jameth
GOLD Member since May 2008

Jameth

enthusiast

Total posts: 378
Posted:I've started spinning recently and also have fairly small hands. I started with sock poi but having to hold them made my hands cramp after 15 minutes practice or so.

Currently I alternate between the socks (my hands are gettting stronger) and double loops which I put an extra twist in to secure them. I start with them coming off the palm, them twist them again between the 2 fingers to the back of my hand, as in the 3b picture on the HoP lessons page:

http://www.homeofpoi.com/lessons_all/teach/Library-POI-Beginners-part-1-Holding-the-poi-3_7_7

I take the point about being able to let go easily when using fire: I've started to practice with an untwisted 2 finger hold for tricks I'm comfortable with, I still find it easier to learn new ones with the more secure hold.

YMMV

Delete

Posted:thanks soo much for all replies, and 4 being sooo kind, I'm used to reptile forums, where u get ragged for being a newbie if u ask a simple question, I'm gonna try the twisting of the loops.

let u know how it goes.

Delete

Mother_Natures_Son
SILVER Member since Aug 2007

Mother_Natures_Son

Rampant whirler.

Total posts: 2418
Posted:Jameth, when you hold the socks, how do you hold them? I usually wrap it once around my index and middle fingers and then maybe again around my index, depending on how I'm feeling, this took away the feelings you were experiencing as well as making it much easier for me to understand how to lengthen and shorten the poi!

I dunno, whatever works for you, I guess. Have my posts been useful or am I rambling off topic?? That wouldn't be uncommon for me.

hug

Delete

Jameth
GOLD Member since May 2008

Jameth

enthusiast

Total posts: 378
Posted:Initially I wound it around several fingers - I had to shorten it a fair bit as 55cm is the longest that will fit along my arm. I've now sewed a small loop at the end, I slip that over my index finger before looping it around my fourth finger and out, with another whole loop for buzzsaws.

It's much more secure, I can relax my hand but it can cut off the circulation in my fourth finger if I'm not careful where I loop it.

I also tried a ping pong ball near the end of the sock, that felt insecure at first but I plan on giving it another go with moves I'm comfortable with. Atm I'm trying as many handles / grips as possible, to find what suits me best and to avoid getting dependant on any one method.

Delete

Birgit
BRONZE Member since Jan 2005

Birgit

had her carpal tunnel surgery already thanks v much

Total posts: 4145
Posted: Written by :nyannyan6465

I'm used to reptile forums, where u get ragged for being a newbie if u ask a simple question

That doesn't happen very often here. If it does happen, it's usually because the question's been asked 1000 times before, so if you think you have a problem that might've been discussed already the search function's your friend. Or you can browse through the technical forums like beginners poi.

Just to keep you out of trouble in the future, not that I think you'll need it wink

"vices are like genitals - most are ugly to behold, and yet we find that our own are dear to us."
(G.W. Dahlquist)

Owner of Dragosani's left half

Delete

Posted:ahh a day off, I may get a chance to practice today. finally..

Delete

newgabe
SILVER Member since Mar 2005

newgabe

what goes around comes around. unless you're into stalls.

Total posts: 4030
Posted:Indeed. The search button is a good friend on such a large site with so much history. The one that works best is on the tabs at the top of the page (next to 'calendar') not the Google one on top right. It works well.. you can narrow the search down to likely forum areas or keep it general.

Good luck! Pinching poi between thumb and first finger is probably the most common thing... gives you more control... fine tuning a tiny bit at the hand/wrist makes a big difference to where the poi end up.. how 'clean' your 'planes' are.

Another tip about posting here is to name your new thread precisely.. that way more people will know what you are asking now and it will come up in future searches to help newbies in future.

Enjoy your poi!

Cheers

Gabe

.....Can't juggle balls but I sure as hell can juggle details....

Delete

spinningstarlet
SILVER Member since Aug 2006

spinningstarlet

enthusiast

Total posts: 271
Posted:i keep my figers slightly bent, but in a realxed way (if that makes sense) and that usualyl stops them flying off. i usually put the looks over my first and third fingers.

Dunno if that might help.

Delete