Forums > Events, Performances and Gatherings > All new HAPPY THURSDAYS, Guildford poi/juggle/arts nights

Login/Join to Participate
Page: ...
DurbsBRONZE Member
Classically British
5,689 posts

Posted:
**EDIT**

Ignore all the stuff below this edit!

Until further notice - Thursdays are meeting "down the river" on Millmead island between The Brittannia pub and the Yvonne Arnaud theatre.

Parking is available outside the Brit', or in the council offices just past this, or if those are full in the large car park by the George Abbot pub.

It's a short (5-10 min) walk from Guildford station.

Keen people arrive straight from work (around 6pm) with the majority of people turning up around 8pm.

Ignore the stuff below this as it's not likely to happen in the near future, and during the summer it's nice to be outside.

~~~~~

This is currently provisional - it might be shunted back a week into February, but just thought I'd get the ball a-rolling...

So, we've been granted the use of a MASSIVE indoor space for Happy Thursdays. Approximately 3 tennis-courts worth of space eek

And it's FREE biggrin

From 7pm - 11pm (Every Thursday obviously) - though again, this might shift slightly.

Sadly we've lost a fair number of regular Guildford spinners, some for a short period, others for longer - but to counter this we're throwing the night wide open.

We want breakers, poppers, lockers, caporeia-istas (no idea how to spell that...), drummers, uni-cyclists on top of all the jugglers, spinners and manipulators.

Even Ed wink

Just waiting on a couple of final bits of info - for example i'm not sure about fire play yet - but potentially this could be an AWESOME night - loads of space, lots of light, warm, music and lots of people to learn off biggrin

Once I get a definite start date, i'll post a map and give more details of how to get there, but vaguely:

Car: It's about 2 minutes off the A3 (so even Londoners don't have an excuse wink ) at the Spectrum Sports Centre/Woking junction (as opposed to the Cathedral/University junction).

Public transport : You can get a bus to very near, and getting back into town/station will just involve lift sharing smile

(For climbers it's about a 5 minute walk from Craggy Island)

Woo, and indeed, hoo biggrin

It would be wicked if we could get LOADS of people down for the opening night *HINT HINT*

weavesmiley juggle :everythingelse:

EDITED_BY: Durbs (1211366900)

Burner of Toast
Spinner of poi
Slacker of enormous magnitude

DurbsBRONZE Member
Classically British
5,689 posts

Posted:
And the sad ones with fat mommas follow them up there wink

Anyone braving it tonight?

Burner of Toast
Spinner of poi

Thorntonstranger
1 post

Posted:
Are you guys still meeting up same place and time? I've just come back from uni for Easter and need to find some local juggling.

DurbsBRONZE Member
Classically British
5,689 posts

Posted:
Yep yep, though depends what you mean by "same place and time" wink

Down the river, from 6-ish (for the keen), or 8-ish for the nocturnal ones.

Burner of Toast
Spinner of poi

PyroWillGOLD Member
HoP's Barman. Trapped aged 6 months
4,437 posts

Posted:
I'll start going when it warms upa bit, Brrrrr

An eye for an eye only ends up making the whole world blind

Give a man a fish and he'll eat 4 a day hit a man with a brick and you can have all his fish and his wife

"Will's to pretty for prison" - Simian

DurbsBRONZE Member
Classically British
5,689 posts

Posted:
Wimp tongue2

Burner of Toast
Spinner of poi

duballstarSILVER Member
slack rating - 9.5
2,216 posts

Posted:
yo.. thought I'd better post something while on my way through. Just digging out old pics for Len who is following his lovely Star to Canada soon... better make these last few weeks classic Toast! smile

It is our fantasies that make us real. Without our fantasies we're just a blank monkey' - Terry Pratchett

animatEdBRONZE Member
1 + 1 = 3
3,540 posts

Posted:
Say what!?

Len is f*cking off?!

It just so happens, that I need to be in Midhurst on the 23rd... I might be able to make poi by the river in that case...

Empty your mind. Be formless, Shapeless, like Water.
Put Water into a cup, it becomes the cup, put water into a bottle, it becomes the bottle, put water into a teapot, it becomes the teapot.
Water can flow, or it can Crash.
Be Water My Friend.

Zhugiestranger
1 post

Posted:
Howzit. I'm a contact staff spinner looking for some people in Guildford to practice with and was wondering if people were still meeting up despite the weather. I also noticed there’s a thread for Sunday meet up's but not had posted there for a year or so. That still going?

Page: ...