• All Purchases made this month instantly go into the draw to win a USD $ 100.00 credit to your HoP account.

Forums > Social Discussion > Existance.... Necessary? or a choice?

Login/Join to Participate
Page: 123
isol8ed
SILVER Member since Jan 2008

Total posts: 33
Posted:Hey there humans... enjoying '08?
IN ADVANCE i'd like to apologise for the length of this, i hope you guys can bother getting through it all.

lately i've been pondering on something you've probably all gone over once or twice before, that is the need for existance. i know that the topic is impossible to resolve (so far in our advancement), so i shall put forth my reasoning, and hope you all have some constructive input.

i understand the process of how we got here (or the basics as explained by todays science)(i hope we all agree on the big bang theory), but i am puzzled as to our purpose.
my most sensible conclusion is that life is utterly random (there was no concious decision for things to occur), and chance (things really just kinda fell into place through time and energy), so really our only purpose is to make things comfortable for ourselves until the universe tears itself apart.
i believe that life is unecessary (at very least to the individual), so i dont really take life all that seriously, im more or less here for personal enjoyment.

thats where the choice falls into play, because with my applied logic (although possibly amazingly flawed), i can only see an instinctual/atomic drive to survive... even for those microscopic single celled oganisms that grew into us in the first place.

ALTHOUGH, my question towards my above statements would be; "then why would there be the capacity to exist if there was no point in existance"? i guess you guys could maybe help me out on that too.

maybe i will make no sense to anyone, but hopefully you guys will figure out what im trying to say and respond. good luck smile

p.s. if you'd like me to explain any parts of this post in more detail, feel free to ask, as i feel i have left alot to be imagined, and already known through study of evoltion of the universe.

PEACE OUT! hug2

insert witty statement here

Delete Topic

Stone
GOLD Member since Jun 2001

Stream Entrant

Total posts: 2830
Posted:Fire Tom, what happened to the rupa?

To be honest, I dont understand the significance of the Maitreya. However, Ill take the opportunity to point out that there is a difference between a rupa and an icon.

You keep comparing Buddhism to the monistic religions and their prophets. So, Ill point out, once again, that Buddhists do not believe in supreme beings. So, if we are to move ahead in this discussion, you have to stop comparing Buddha, to Zoroaster, Aaron, Moses, Jesus and Mohammed.

Buddha was a person. He was not a prophet. He did not serve as an intermediary between humanity and the divine.

What Buddha had, was a great facility to understand human nature, call it a great facility for psychoanalysis if you like. So we are NOT talking about spiritual paths. We are talking about awakening, evolving, and reaching our full potential as human beings. Some call this state Nirvana or enlightenment. Which is seeing things the way they are, and has nothing to do with belief in supreme beings or heaven.

I was brought up a Roman Catholic, and wealth may be a synonym for "successful spirituality at work", but we are not talking about spirituality. The middle path is ascetic.

Sure you can say that all spiritual paths start with a first step. The first step is usually recognizing that life is unsatisfactory, and we start seeking something more from life. Buddha suggested that we can all find our own way to enlightenment. However, the biggest obstacle most people face is tripping over their own ego by thinking they can do it on their own.

Now, you never answered my question. Are you are speaking from your observations or are you speaking from your personal experience of having undertaken some training in Buddhism or personal development? Do you have a spiritual advisor/teacher? Or, as Ive been asked, have you done some work on your self ?

If we as members of the human race practice meditation, we can transcend our fear, despair, and forgetfulness. Meditation is not an escape. It is the courage to look at reality with mindfulness and concentration. Thich Nhat Hanh

Delete

FireTom

Stargazer

Total posts: 6650
Posted:ubblol leaving questions unanswered is part of the game innit? wink

Please, Stone - let's move to and stay within the Buddhism thread when talking about Buddhism. I find it quite unnerving to drag this topic all over the threads.

It's like blaming the "flying spaghetti monster" for all evil in the world in each and every thread of this board.

C U on the other side...

the best smiles are the ones you lead to wink

Delete

Stone
GOLD Member since Jun 2001

Stream Entrant

Total posts: 2830
Posted:Fire Tom, Id just like to point out that I dont see a lot of difference between saying life is unsatisfactory, compared to saying Im looking at the need for existence, or Im puzzled by our purpose in life. If I hadnt seen the picture of Buddha you posted, then you probably would have got a different response.

Another step is self-realization which is what the people exploring enthnogens seem to be looking for.

Cheers isol8ted, great topic. Apparently, the current discussion has been moved to the Buddhism - Religion or Way of Life thread. Come over for a chat smile

If we as members of the human race practice meditation, we can transcend our fear, despair, and forgetfulness. Meditation is not an escape. It is the courage to look at reality with mindfulness and concentration. Thich Nhat Hanh

Delete

vlynx

Total posts: 8
Posted:Okay, this may not sound like a serious answer, but it is.

Existence is happening because it would be boring if there were no existence.

We exist to love and take care of each other, and to appreciate the universe, and to have a good time.

I exist to love and appreciate and to help others love and appreciate (which for me leads to having a good time).

I feel like there's something Divine, and that, whatever the Divine is, it started existence to have someone to love.
I don't have the impression that everything was created just as it is, i do have the impression that the universe was created and prob did a bunch of evolving.
I see no reason for faith and science to be in opposition, but then, i don't delude myself that i have The Truth about all this stuff. I'm just working on a continuously developing theory of how things are, based on what i experience and figure out and on what others have experienced and figured out that makes sense to me.
Of course, i could be entirely wrong and, say, Fred Dobson right, in which case i'm screwed, but if so, there's not much i can do about it, so i'll keep on trying to be as nice as i can to everyone i encounter.
Which reminds me, i really really feel that if there's one thing we can do to show our respect for the Divine, it's to be as nice as we can to everyone we encounter. If the Divine wants anything from us, i'm feeling like it's kindness.

Delete

vlynx

Posted:And btw, Stone, i don't want to sidetrack this, but a lot of people feel that GW Bush may not actually have been elected. There were huge questions regarding the legitimacy of the vote both times.
He's not my president, that's for damn sure.

Delete

FireTom

Stargazer

Total posts: 6650
Posted:Nice response vlynx. smile

Written by: vlynx

We exist to love and take care of each other, and to appreciate the universe, and to have a good time.

I exist to love and appreciate and to help others love and appreciate (which for me leads to having a good time).

Hopefully you accept that different ppl have a different definition of "having a good time"... wink

the best smiles are the ones you lead to wink

Delete

vlynx

Posted:Oh sure.
As long as nobody's hurting anybody and interactions are consensual, i don't really care what you do.

Delete

Page: 123