Forums > Advanced Poi Moves > The Poi "I just learned a new advanced move / combo" thread

Login/Join to Participate
Page: ......
RicheeBRONZE Member
HOP librarian
1,841 posts

Posted:
Notcomelan3 turning,

that has wall plane similar to inversion.

lightning,

:R

POI THEO(R)IST

Smurf24029GOLD Member
Poi Master Smurf
343 posts

Posted:
I like to call it linear extension. The anti spin builds up good momentum to keep it going as long as you keep your arm timed with the poi properly

Fly High
Spin Hard
Don't Stop

SpinnerofDetroitGOLD Member
All High Dude, Ruler of What You Want
2,280 posts

Posted:
I thought it was a linear head isolation.

The only luck is bad luck.

Shut up before I stall my poi up your ass grin

liquidtrancei dream in circles...
336 posts

Posted:
theoretically your aiming for linear isolation but in practice it's more like a stretched out antispin, if you smooth it out enough so that the lines are 'float' like as much as possible then it's pretty much as good as you gonna get as you still need to make a tiny loop at each tip to change direction. You can to point to point isolation with a flick of the wrist but I'm not a fan cos the movement is jerky...

even chuck norris can't pin you down if your on fire

Sister ElevenGOLD Member
owner of the group property
1,277 posts

Posted:
Figured out a bunch of flower stalls/transitions/frills, and the stall/poi swap Exuro does in one of his YouTube videos. Can just about twirl in a triquetra, too.

p|.q|r:|::s|.s|s:|:.s|q.|:p|s.|.p|s

T-S-ASILVER Member
Magic Monkey Juice
252 posts

Posted:
Been playing with same time isolation/extention hybrid. Saw Ugo doing a kinda windmill with the hybrid, and it looked pretty grin

"We were making castles in the sand: Now we swim in the seas that swept them away"

Smurf24029GOLD Member
Poi Master Smurf
343 posts

Posted:
Many different advanced stalls ^^

Fly High
Spin Hard
Don't Stop

2,280 posts

Posted:
Just starting to get Hybrid stall out of CAP (hands together)

Sister ElevenGOLD Member
1,277 posts

Posted:
Got half throws and no-extra-beat throws, and air wrap wrist bumps. Starting to get same direction split time UTL walk. More flower stalls/plane changes.

Smurf24029GOLD Member
Poi Master Smurf
343 posts

Posted:
Started playing with different wall plane flowers that are only kinda different then the common ones. But using linear extension twice and then big arm extension to switch back to the beginning.

Fly High
Spin Hard
Don't Stop

2,280 posts

Posted:
What's really fun is grabbing the poi from a linear isolation grin

Sister ElevenGOLD Member
1,277 posts

Posted:
No, what's *really* fun is crazifying your planes from a linear isolation. Nobody sees that one coming. Unless you're Insignia, in which case it's kind of your "thing"... tongue2

astonSILVER Member
Unofficial Chairperson of Squirrel Defense League
4,061 posts

Posted:
Heheh.

Plane-twisting stuff is cool.

Sister: Do not forget to try get some footage of the Seattle crowd doing odd stuff you say you have not seen online now you all have summer on the way. You sort of promised some a while back.

'We're all mad here. I'm mad, you're mad." [said the Cat.]
"How do you know I'm mad?" said Alice.
"You must be," said the Cat, "Or you wouldn't have come here."
- Lewis Carroll, Alice's Adventures In Wonderland

Sister ElevenGOLD Member
1,277 posts

Posted:
Well, about that... I hadn't heard of Alien Jon or Zan when I wrote that post...

astonSILVER Member
Unofficial Chairperson of Squirrel Defense League
4,061 posts

Posted:
Still would be nice to see.... wink

*offers whipped cream with a cherry on top*

'We're all mad here. I'm mad, you're mad." [said the Cat.]
"How do you know I'm mad?" said Alice.
"You must be," said the Cat, "Or you wouldn't have come here."
- Lewis Carroll, Alice's Adventures In Wonderland

Sister ElevenGOLD Member
1,277 posts

Posted:
Yeah, I think Ian's antispin flowers are worthy of note by themselves; instead of curvy petals he manages four point isolations. Still trying to figure that one out for obvious reasons.

2,280 posts

Posted:
I finally cradled my lit fire poi bounce2 bounce2 bounce2 I held them for about 1 second and the part of my hand not touching the fire poi felt a burn and I threw them back into a spin. It was amazing! Also because I'm desperate to save about $45. Does anyone know where I can buy 10mm(3/8") wide by 3mm(1/8") thick Kevlar tape? I've searched through so many pages of Google and can't find anywhere frown

Sister ElevenGOLD Member
1,277 posts

Posted:
My new combo of love: same direction split time in wall plane, no-extra-beat throws into up/down stalls, pull into an air wrap. Still getting my planes right for the air wrap, but when I pull it off it's magic.

leospoiSILVER Member
Poi explorer
108 posts

Posted:
Started exploring how floats integrate with 1.5 hybrids. This is why I love tech poi, every time I think I completely grasp a set framework for a certain combination of moves there comes another element that I have to incorporate into the framework and so I'm never quite finished.

poifull_spiritGOLD Member
journeyman
64 posts

Posted:
trying to get my antispin points so that i can plane change from any position into wall, horizontal or wheel plane antispin. Really taking inspiration from G's spinning.

Also another favourite i'm getting close to nailing is an inspin throw mid antispin flower, catch and continue antispin.

Mother_Natures_SonSILVER Member
Rampant whirler.
2,418 posts

Posted:
Poifull! I may be able to help you on the plane change front.

This be my tutorial on youtubes for plane changes.
Basic Plane Changes Tutorial
Take a look at the first part especially.

I mention that stalls can move in the same direction as well as in the opposite direction. If you were to stall at the four corners (north, south, east, west) moving in an anticlockwise direction, while your poi travels in a clockwise direction it will be a 4 petal antispin flower, point isolated.

This makes a box, but in order to plane change, you only really need to focus on point isolating one point. smile

Non-Https Image Link

You can change direction in the middle point as well!

Non-Https Image Link

As you can with halfway along the points of that square, because you can really do it anywhere, theoretically.
EDITED_BY: Mother_Natures_Son (1271836311)

hug

Sister ElevenGOLD Member
1,277 posts

Posted:
Silly variations on the weave; four beat weave, three beat weave with two beats on the same side and one opposite. Haven't found a use for them besides making weird fountains, but they're still fun to find.

EDIT: I'm trying to get to sleep, but I just realized that this reversed beat structure 3bt weave, when done forward, is actually a reverse three beat weave flipped upside down. In fact you could follow it through the flipping process if you do a reverse 3bt, carry it over your head into a three beat windmill, and then carry it all the way over to the other side. Which makes it much weirder than I thought.-- FURTHER EDIT: Um, I just realized a few things related to this that may be the substance of my first tech blog. Yay! I have something that merits a tech blog, I think!
EDITED_BY: Sister Eleven (1273001993)

Sister ElevenGOLD Member
1,277 posts

Posted:
Got the split-same > Crosser > windmill transition thing that confused the hell out of me the first time I saw it. It's funny, because I guessed it was what I just described, decided it couldn't possibly be that because it was too weird, and then finally decided to try it anyway tongue2

Funny how sometimes it's the simple stuff that can twist your brain the most...

ZelenkiaBRONZE Member
King of Triquetras
8 posts

Posted:
God knows what it is...

Sister ElevenGOLD Member
1,277 posts

Posted:
Got utl 1.5s, butterfly weave fountain, some utl throws of various sorts, shoulder catches, staggered back and forth half-flip/bicep wrap thingy (needs a bit of cleaning up), can toss in a wibble in the middle of spinning.

Working on the hybrid crosser extension, but kinda stumped; don't know how many petals to go for at my poi length, all of them feel wrong.

Sister ElevenGOLD Member
1,277 posts

Posted:
Learned the visually uninteresting and theoretically contentious 0 beat, one petal antispin. tongue2

Also starting to get the hang of dodging daggers and a couple of nifty looking soft transitions.

Rampant whirler.
2,418 posts

Posted:
1 beat antispin is called a cateye and has 1 petal. ^_^ 0 beats?

hug

Sister ElevenGOLD Member
1,277 posts

Posted:
Cat-eyes have two petals (I don't know how this one petal thing gets started when there's an extremely simple mathematical relationship of beats to petals for flowers where the hand revolution to poi revolution ratio is 1:n, and cat-eyes being one petal would violate this rule pretty blatantly). That is, relative to a line drawn from the center of the unit circle (or whatever circle your hand is tracing) to your hand (we'll call this the "hand radius"), the poi makes two revolutions per revolution of the hand, which is the property that petal number tracks. So the thing I "figured out" (really took me all of like two seconds when I thought of it) has one revolution relative to the hand radius per revolution of the hand.

2,280 posts

Posted:
Really petals mathematically for antispin are petals = 1 + #spins poi makes in a circle.

Visually, they start with the triquetra. So it may be safe to say that the equation discerning petals has a domain that saying #spins is x that x must be greater than 1.

As for what I've learned recently... Umm don't make me list. For some general ideas, working some on orbital somersault, some utl buzzsaw type stuff, gaining better control of plane changing and some atomics, TRYING to get my split-time same direction antispin flower turns clean, but failing. Also I got my Butterfly antispin flower turns pretty good, and I've gotten a lot better at changing directions with hybrids.

Sister ElevenGOLD Member
1,277 posts

Posted:
I think they start visually wherever you see petals, and for me that's a cat-eye. But I would like to note that visually you can make antispin petals disappear even at poi revolutions above 1 by moving your arm in a large enough circle or at the right speeds to get point isolations instead of loops (or by making loops too small for them to make a visual impression). So it's not even the arm cycle to poi cycle ratio that generates the loops above 1 beat, but that ratio in addition to the ratio of the hand radius to poi length. But I think the point isolated flower has more in common with the loopy kind than it has different--namely, the revolutions relative to hand radius and relative direction of arm circle vs. poi circle--so I prefer not to identify petal number by loops (especially not by visible loops, which may not even be visible to non-spinners if you use certain kinds of poi), but by the property responsible for the loops.

Rampant whirler.
2,418 posts

Posted:
The point isolation petals you're referring to are called cycloids and refer not only antispin, but to prospin as well.

Either way, the ratio isn't 1:n, the number of rotations in a 3 petal antispin is 2:1. A cateye is 1:1 but is visually an ellipse.

Are you trying to imply that these loops you speak of aren't petals? Petals are the precise thing that non-spinners can see.

I really will need a diagram of your '0 beat antispin' if I'm to see what you're talking about, because it seems like you're trying to divide by zero.

As a side point, if you do a cateye as a cycloid you'll end up with a line iso.

hug

Page: ......