Forums > Social Chat > A question for all herbalists and health food experts.

Login/Join to Participate

Astarmember
1,591 posts

Posted:
What herbs and vitamins can I take to increase my hair growth?

I so far have bought horse hair and vitamin E. What else is there and what foods can I eat to help aswell?

tadpoleGOLD Member
enthusiast
200 posts

Posted:
Not a hundred % on this, but I think Alfalfa tablets might make you a hairier individual.

Don't worry, be happy...

Thistleold hand
950 posts

Posted:
Taking a kelp supplement makes hair grow faster and thicker and stronger.

Eating a well ballanced diet can also improve hair condition. My hair grows much quicker and stronger now I am drug free.

Are we nearly there yet?

_Stix_Pooh-Bah
2,419 posts

Posted:
ooo..let me get home to answers this - I did herbology and ots of other healthy food courses years ago.. I got all my texts books at home still..

B vitamins (found in Kelp, alfalfa and other stuff) is good.. I got a whole list of vits and supliments (good dietary info) at home..

err,, gimme about 5 hours hun..

I honour you as an aspect of myself..

You are never to old to storm a bouncey castle..

Willymember
2 posts

Posted:
Daily shower works as well. For some reason, i've found that spending loads of time in the water (not salted water though) works pretty well for that. And don't blowdry or anything like that .
long-haired willy

Astarmember
1,591 posts

Posted:
Thanks a ton. The reason I wanted to know was I am just experimenting with this stuff to see if it makes my dreads grow faster. I only really want to wash my dreads once a week, atleast right now because I don't want them to fall out or anything.

MikeGinnyGOLD Member
HOP Mad Doctor
13,925 posts

Posted:
I've heard that there is some anecdotal evidence that men who are starting to go bald can slow the process a bit by rubbing a vitamin E-rich oil on their scalps twice a day. You have to leave it in for at least 2 hours after you rub it on and it takes a few months to notice a difference.

I haven't seen it work personally, though.

-Mike

Certified Mad Doctor and HoP High Priest of Nutella

A buckuht n a hooze! -Valura

_Stix_Pooh-Bah
2,419 posts

Posted:
ok I've been looking thru my weird and wonderful text books and come up with this..

the first option may not be the best tho

*** over 120 years ago this remedy was believed to promote hair growth..

3 quarts of rum
1 pint of spirit wine
1 pint of water
1/2 ounce extract of catharides (spanish flies)
1/2 ounce of carbonate of ammonia
1 ounce of tartar.

mix all in a bowl, rub well into hair and rinse..

as i said I wouldn't recommend that one.. but you could always have fun with the alcohol and spanish fly
ok serious now..

Rosemary essential oil wash

(also good for dark hair - brings a lovely shine)

a few drops of Rosemary essential oil in a bottle of water.. shake up really well and use as an after rinse - leave it in - Rosemary helps stimulate the blood circulation around the folicles = lovely new hair growth.

** DONT USE if you have high blood pressure**

Onions - some people swear it helps reduce hair loss - eat one a day - er yeah thats raw..

vitamin suppliments..

Multivit and mineral complex - one a day
B Complex 100mg - 1 per day (make sure it has adequet ammounts of Pantothenic acid, folic acid and PABA (Para-aminobenzoic Acid)
Vitmamin A 25,000 iu 1-2 per day for 6 days a week
Vitamin E 100 iu per day
Multi chelated minerals - make sure you have silicon, sulphur, iodine, and iron
you will also need fatty acids and choline (found in egg yolks, green leafy veg, yeast, liver and wheat germ) in your diet for the Vit A to be metabolised.

With all those vit suppliments you are likely to rattle.. I've never recommended relying totally on suppliments, - it's always best to get it from your diet. With any vit/min suppliment if you suffer from anything or are preggers or taking medication - *CONSULT your doctor*

Excess Vit A can kill you (never eat a polar bears liver)

Ah just a thought - you local health food shop may do an all in one suppliment for hair - I know they do one in the UK..

err sorry for the ramble - just a subject close to my heart..

I honour you as an aspect of myself..

You are never to old to storm a bouncey castle..

Astarmember
1,591 posts

Posted:
Thanks a ton. Ill probably just try to get some of that stuff in my diet since I need to eat better anyways. Ill start takeing some of the supplements and rosemary to.

arashiPooh-Bah
2,364 posts

Posted:
this is gonna sound wierd, but if you are really serious, you can direct your will to your scalp and make your hair grow faster. just meditate, focus your mind on your head, and imagine your follicles squirting out huge amounts of hair. i swear it works if you try long and hard enough! don't know if it will stop balding though...

-Such a price the gods exact for song: to become what we sing
-Seek freedom and become captive of your desires. Seek discipline and find your liberty.
-When the center of the storm does not move, you are in its path.

DurbsBRONZE Member
Classically British
5,689 posts

Posted:
Well, my sister works for a large pharmaceutical company, and they were doing research into anti-prostate cancer drugs (or it might have been anti-hayfever - slight difference) and it had the strange side-effect of improving hair growth, even to the extent of reversing hair loss and encouraging hair re-growth from baldness.

It was unsuccessful in it's intended application, but it may be released later as a hair cream
I'll update this when I speak to sis next

Burner of Toast
Spinner of poi
Slacker of enormous magnitude