Forums > Social Chat > south west - worth moving to?

Login/Join to Participate

TastesLikePurpleGOLD Member
addict
498 posts

Posted:
hey guys! i'm in the wonderful and in no way stressful process of choosing my uni's (i'm wanting to study drama biggrin) and while most of my choices are in london, there is one in Dartington near Plymouth, or Falmouth, or both, i can't remember - not a great start! but anyway, i rarely go down south and have no idea what it's like. I really like the sound of the uni - so much so it's my first choice, but if i don't like where i'm living it'll be a bit of a downer to say the least. So i need as many loverly people as possible to big the south west up for me and make me want to live there for three or more years! your help is much appreciated! - here's some love ubblove

Thoughts arrive like butterflies...

Sealeymember
30 posts

Posted:
I live in the southwest. It's horrible. But then I do live in a particularly chav infested hole which goes by the name of Swindon. Might not be so bad othe places here.

The Tea FairySILVER Member
old hand
853 posts

Posted:
ubblol Swindon is crap!

I come from Gloucestershire in the cotswolds and moved to London for Uni. I have to say London can be very overrated, once you're a student you probably won't be able to afford to go out and see/do all the things you want to. Depends which bit you're in though, my Uni was on the outskirts so it's a really long commute to get to anywhere in central. In retrospect living in central would have been much more fun.

I found London a bit depressing after the initial excitement, but then I'm from the countryside so I don't really like all the noise, pollution etc and people can seem really unfriendly at first.

Good things about the south-west are, generally the people are really nice and the countryside is lovely in most bits, so if you like the outdoors it's ideal. There's nowhere near as much to do in most of the towns compared to London, but people seem to find ways to make their own entertainment.

It really does depend on which bit you're looking at living in, and what you're looking to get out of the experience. If you're going to a campus-based uni it's quite likely to feel like it's own little town/community, so the rest of the local area might not need to be as significant in your decision as you think. It's best to visit the uni's you're thinking about going to and have a good look around the towns, talk to the students already there and find out as much as you can.

Good luck! smile

Idolized by Aurinoko

Take me disappearing through the smoke rings of my mind....

Bob Dylan

addict
498 posts

Posted:
Wicked! and i kinda guessed i'd have to make a large proportion of my own entertainment so i'm not too fussed about that - resigned myself to it! -especially moving from a city to the country! But cheers Tea Fairy!

Sealey however, you're doing nothing to promote a positive rural chocolate box picture! *shakes fist* having said that, it is hard to get away from the chavs - they're everywhere! like ants...

Sealeymember
30 posts

Posted:
 Written by: TastesLikePurple

Sealey however, you're doing nothing to promote a positive rural chocolate box picture! *shakes fist* having said that, it is hard to get away from the chavs - they're everywhere! like ants...

Swindon is just concrete and chavs. Nothing rural here. The closest you'll get is peoples back gardens :P
Other places probably are nice. *sob* Why do I have to live in Swindon!?

oliSILVER Member
not with cactus
2,052 posts

Posted:
dunno, i was living in the south west for 18 or so years and is still home for me in a way. im from east devon which is pretty quiet, loads of old people and nothing to do especially in the wet seaoson, except smoke the occassional spliff. it is very calm and relaxed though. but i geuss if your going to uni you will have studenty type people around and more options in terms of going out, and then you can allways bugger off into the countryside or the beach, which can be very beautiful, and escape if you want... depends on your prioritys, i moved out of the country and into a city whne i came to uni and love it because ive never had so much stuff going on around me before, but i do miss the peacefullness sometimes..... cool

Me train running low on soul coal
They push+pull tactics are driving me loco
They shouldn't do that no no no

Just_Another_Clownold hand
965 posts

Posted:
I have just accepted an off to go to university down in falmouth and am starting(if i get the grades) in October. When I went down to look round there I absolutly loved it down there.....never know maybe seeing you at uni biggrin

Q:"How many Jugglers Does it take to change a light bulb?"
A:"One, but another 99 others saying,'I could do that if I only practised more'" biggrin biggrin

Gate Keeper to Shocked_Prawn. None may pass.

MikefromGlosSILVER Member
Hitman
985 posts

Posted:
Move to Gloucester i live in gloucester lmao

he he i am mike the amazing gloscircus person who is mike.

Officaly an exception to the Poi Boys are Girls Thing

addict
498 posts

Posted:
i went to gloucester - but SOMEONE didn't pick up when i rang them to arrange to meet up! but anyhoo, gloucester doesn't offer me what i want tongue maybe the train has to go through/change at gloucester though so whenever i want to skip back to nottingham i'll come say hello smile then again it might change at birmingham... or bristol... meh it's not for a while yet anyway hug so far though it all sounds good though! should be checking it out in july so i'll see what it think of it then!