Forums > Social Chat > Hard Rubbish Treasures!

Login/Join to Participate

Rouge DragonBRONZE Member
Insert Champagne Here
13,215 posts

Posted:
For those who don't have this wonderful phenomenon in their city, hard rubbish nights are when people put out their rubbish that doesnt fit in bins, ready to be collected free of charge by the local council. They frequently contain couches, bed frames, wardrobes etc. and while usually mankey and broken, ever now and again you find some treasures. And I thought I was pretty lucky with my mini trampoline last year (which is sadly out in this year's hard rubbish after it tore frown )

BUT! Tonight we hit the jackpot! Heading off for a spin down at the river, we came across a TV and CABINET! And it WORKS! Remote and all!!! 63cmcolour tv!!!! too good to be true!

So what little beauties have other people picked up on these wonderous nights that pay homage to poor students?

ubbrollsmile

i would have changed ***** to phallus, and claire to petey Petey

Rougie: but that's what I'm doing here
Arnwyn: what letting me adjust myself in your room?..don't you dare quote that on HoP...

PyroWillGOLD Member
HoP's Barman. Trapped aged 6 months
4,437 posts

Posted:
None cos we dont have hard rubbish night frown closest I've seen is chav's raiding a skip behind the chippy

An eye for an eye only ends up making the whole world blind

Give a man a fish and he'll eat 4 a day hit a man with a brick and you can have all his fish and his wife

"Will's to pretty for prison" - Simian

E_V_I_LMosh-mosh-mosh-mosh.
346 posts

Posted:
Ah, but skips can be amazing here in the UK!

My bro, rest his soul, managed to salvage 3/4 TVs from a skip. They were all quite large and all worked. Result!

Most I ever got was the skeletal remains of a sun lounger (Just the frame and springs) during a drunkan stomp in the middle of a party where a girl I was seeing started doing some other bloke. I wandered off, came back hammered and with said treasure.

I have, to this day, no idea where I went, how I got so obscenely wasted, or where I got the chair from.

SCORE!

Xbox360 Live ID - Sacred Apollyon

"Enemies you threaten make armies. Enemies you destroy make graves."

"Here is a test to see if your mission on earth is finished: If your alive it isn't."

Mr MajestikSILVER Member
coming to a country near you
4,696 posts

Posted:
we got a palate thing that they use to pick up stuff for forklifts, used it to prop the dog kennel off the ground smile

"but have you considered there is more to life than your eyelids?"

jointly owned by Fire_Spinning_Angel and Blu_Valley

alien_oddityCarpal \'Tunnel
7,193 posts

Posted:
wodden palats are wicked things to have, the new euro plastic pallets are slightly better for securing a sound system too though biggrin

polaritySILVER Member
veteran
1,228 posts

Posted:
At college they had an auction for all the old computer equipment. After they chucked everything that didn't get sold in the skip. So we backed the van up to the skip and grabbed it all.

I'm on freecycle which is doing the same kind of job, although I've found out it's taking forever for Yahoo to send me messages, which is why everything has gone by the time I get to know about it.

You aren't thinking or really existing unless you're willing to risk even your own sanity in the judgment of your existence.

Green peppers, lime pickle and whole-grain mustard = best sandwich filling.

_VT_SILVER Member
Your Face!
1,173 posts

Posted:
Here in the states we call it heavy trash. I once got a couch, a love seat and a glass coffe table for my apartment when i was still a bachelor. I've also scored videogame (mainly ataris and once a turbo graphix 16 with loads of games) systems, tv's, a base ball bat, storage bins, a whole set of encyclopedias, and other weird stuff.

Heroism on command, senseless violence, and all the loathsome nonsense that goes by the name of patriotism - how passionately I hate them!
-Albert Einstein-

Peanut butter... It fills the cracks of the soul! -Paul Blart-

Bubbles_SILVER Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,384 posts

Posted:
wow sounds awsome! wish we had that in the uk, i could do with some more furniture... also i have some stuff i need to get rid of but no-where i can put it

Disclaimer:im not responsible for what i say or do whether it be before,during and after drinking alcoholic substances (owned by BMVC).
Creater of Jenisms(TM)
Virginity like bubble,one prick all gone.

346 posts

Posted:
Ze_Bubbles - I wish we did too .... you get funny looks by going through peoples skips, no matter what time you do it ... wink

"Here is a test to see if your mission on earth is finished: If your alive it isn't."

Insert Champagne Here
13,215 posts

Posted:
Yeah, I imagine going through skips is embarrassing ubblol

The wicked things about hard rubbish here is that people know that other people scout for treasures (even though I think it's technically illegal)! The tv we got last night actually had a sign on it saying that it worked and it was only out with the rubbish because they didn't want it anymore! So we went back and filled their letterbox with easter eggs and a thankyou note! tongue

Arnwyn: what letting me adjust myself in your room?..don't you dare quote that on HoP...

GitasGuyPooh-Bah
2,303 posts

Posted:
Your a good little dragon sometimes. Its good to see you paying homage to the previous tv owner!! biggrin hug

:admires giant wooden aeroplane: Its about time trees were good for something, instead of just standing their like jerks!!! ubblol ubbtickled

Homer rocks!!!! ubblol ubbrollsmile

BasstonesGOLD Member
Do you do the poiz?
530 posts

Posted:
A near complete set of golf clubs for me ;D

Wasn't even a big collection day, was just sticking out the top of the bin.

I didnt play golf except the occasional trip to the driving range so was nice to have a much more complete set bounce I was stoked!

"In the end there is only fire and a waterfall"

DarkFyreBRONZE Member
HoP mage and keeper of the fireballs
1,965 posts

Posted:
hell i wish we had hard rubbish days here in palmy tho i did find a good pair of jeans the other day, the jeans fit my missus well and they make her bum look good biggrin

May my balls of fire set your balls on fire devil

346 posts

Posted:
Sounds cool! Like a big, openair swap shop.

Rouge Dragon - That was nice of you! Bet that made the previous owners smile - reminds me of the Coca-Cola adverts where the guys just walking round the streets handing out bottles of coke to people. Kinda the happy cuddly weirdness I'd love to do ... but people run away from me! *Pout*

We need hard rubbish days in the UK!

LazyAngelGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
2,895 posts

Posted:
I found stretchy black and white socks: the ones I used to make my sock poi in china, in fact!! Plus a dressing gown that got converted into a pirate costume for a pirate party that same night!

Because ActiveAngel sounds like a feminine deodorant

Like sex, I'm much more interesting in real life than online.

'Be the change you want to see in the world around you' - Ghandi

spinningstarletSILVER Member
enthusiast
271 posts

Posted:
we need a "hard rubbish for the UK" petition...

I could do with a new tv....!

Dangerousmind66Member
90 posts

Posted:
In my neck of the woods, we call it "Big Trash Day." I know, catchy, right? Last time, I got a bike. It was nearly new, all it needed was a new tire.

AdeSILVER Member
Are we there yet?
1,897 posts

Posted:
in my area they are called council clean ups - you put out all the things you want to get rid of that you can't put in the bin. I've picked up my dining table, cabinets, bookcases, vidoes, video cameras, guitars, all sorts of plants, pots, stands, garden tools... ubblol It's such a great resource.

in my last house, there were lots of students that lived in the area - if you wanted to get rid of something, you put it outside (with a note saying "please take me"), then the item would be gone in minutes sometimes!! ubbrollsmile

in another area of nsw, council clean up is called "out with the new, in with the newer". It's amazing what other people throw out... smile

furbsSILVER Member
29 posts

Posted:
see in glasgow you call up to get your big stuff picked up. that kinda sucks but at least theres freecyle

LazyAngelGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
2,895 posts

Posted:
in my neighbourhood, we just stick things outside with a note saying 'please take me'. I've seen doors, books, clothes, all sorts
In london, my mates found an armchair and sofa. They weren't in great nick but good enough for a bunch of students!

MynciBRONZE Member
Macaque of all trades
8,738 posts

Posted:
does anybody want my old imersion heater? ubblol

A couple of balls short of a full cascade... or maybe a few cards short of a deck... we'll see how this all fans out.

TabtI Doubt, Therefore I Might Be
1,007 posts

Posted:
I live in an area called the 'golden triangle' and its mainly students. people just leave stuff outside their houses with signs on.

We got a whole load of cushions and blankets and nearly a trampet, someone else took the trampet whilst we were in the offie frown

Owner of Dragosani's right side.

LazyAngelGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
2,895 posts

Posted:
what's a trampet?

Insert Champagne Here
13,215 posts

Posted:
yeah, i was wondering that too

theCaitiffnewbie
16 posts

Posted:
I'm mostly guilty of raiding skips (we call them dumpsters in America) but every once in a while I have been known to grab something from the curb.

There are two things I always stop to pick up though, anything made from aluminum and tree branches/scrap wood. I get a dollar and a half per kilo for aluminum, and I light big bonfires whenever I have a party so I'm always on the lookout for those.

Mr MajestikSILVER Member
4,696 posts

Posted:
a trampet is like a tiny trampoline. all the ones i've seen are circular and i think its meant to work like a springboard but i dont think i've ever actually seen one in use so i'm not too sure.

Insert Champagne Here
13,215 posts

Posted:
aaah! it was one of those I picked up LAST year and broke so I put it out THIS year! ubblol

Trenystranger
1 post

Posted:
Xbox 360, PS2, Xbox, Sega mega drive, Sega master system 2!
All work lol, I ROCK!

Mr MajestikSILVER Member
4,696 posts

Posted:
wow.... shoplifting isnt the same as bin diving you realise tongue2

hamamelisBRONZE Member
nut.
756 posts

Posted:

We don't have an official day here, but I did (for some odd reason) pick up a 5-foot fabric model leaf from our street.. No idea what I'll do with it, but it looks soo cool.

Freecycle here is pretty impressive though- one of my (now ex) housemates got a caravan from there (he now lives in it), and someone honestly stuck a fully working microlite on a few weeks back.. Had some great stuff from there.

THE MEEK WILL INHERIT THE EARTH!

If that's okay with you?