Forums > Events, Performances and Gatherings > PLAY Festival 2007 25th - 29th July 2007

Login/Join to Participate
Page: ......
DuncGOLD Member
playing the days away
7,263 posts

Posted:
Hello everyone and welcome to PLAY FESTIVAL 2007!!

Please forgive me for the lack of info, I have no computer to use and it'll be a few weeks more until I'm able to update it more often. I'll come back and put more up as and when I can.

Hopefully most of this info you'll have gotten from our newsletter, if not sign up to it on the website now! www.playfestival.co.uk

We had a wonderful 5 days last year and can only say that 2007 will be even better!

Thanks to everyone who came last year and who gave us feedback on what they thought of the festival, we've taken all comments on board and hope we can make the festival one that you'll enjoy even more than the last.

The dates for this years festival will be Wednesday 25th - Sunday 29th July and we will be at the same venue, Fordhall Farm in Market Drayton, Shropshire. The tickets will be £35 in advance and £40 on the door, that will include most workshops, 4 nights camping, the shows and other entertainments during the festival

We have lots planned for this years festival, more areas to play in with the emphasis on getting everyone involved, we will have a proper go at the world record after last years attempt didn't go so well (although it does look awesome on video!!!) and of course the usual abundance of workshops to keep you all busy in the day.

We'll have two stages this year, the main stage/tent and and nice little caberet tent, a solar powered cinema, a PROPER bar & food tent and a few more folks selling the stuff you want to buy (even if you don't realise it yet! heheh)

New for this year will be the PLAY HOP Amateur Performance of the year. It's a little competition we've come up with that can be entered by anyone for any type of performance. No more than 4 minutes long with a cash prize for the winner and the chance to feature on the next PLAY DVD. As you might guess from the title the event is sponsored by HomeofPoi.com (who have proudly given us the prizes for our games over the last two years). More details will follow soon...

The DVD of last years festival will be out at some point, probably exactly at the time we plan it to come out wink Focusing more on spreading knowledge to learn the arts than the last DVD and we're sure it'll knock your socks off!

If you want to contact us about anything please email us at one of the following addresses:

info@playfestival.co.uk

comments@playfestival.co.uk

volunteers@playfestival.co.uk

traders@playfestival.co.uk

If anyone wants specific footage from last years festival please wait until after the DVD is out, Strugz & co are busy enough editing the full thing to start making cuts for people! Thanks smile

As my internet access is sporadic at best till my pc is up and running, I might not be able to reply to email straight away, if you want to talk to me about anything call me on 07814 018091 and if you don't get an answer LEAVE A VOICEMAIL!

Keep checking the website for the latest information and we'll send out newsletters as often as we can.

hugs & smiles

Dunc hug

Let's relight this forum ubblove

IgirisujinSILVER Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
2,666 posts

Posted:
 Written by: GothFrogette

I'm not all that botherd about the music as i don't like live stuff anyway and the other stuff just isn't my cup of tea. but its ok i'm not complaining or anything seeing other have fun kind of makes up for it biggrin

Jo, you are alowed to have as many blond moments as you wish, heck i am still blond at the moment and have found the very same problem ubbloco oh and i am a girl ubblol hug

Can I get that hug in person, ive allways wanted a gothfrogette hug.

(I dont know how to double quote)

Seye, do the lanterns there sooooo coool! ubbrollsmile

Chief adviser to the Pharaoh, in one very snazzy mutli-coloured coat

'Time goes by so slowly for those who wait...' - Whatever Happend To Baby Madonna?

JtJCheck ya later
500 posts

Posted:
 Written by: jo_rhymes

Firenix, I find it hypocritical of you to attack Durbs, Step, Dunc et al for being "unhippy" and not showing you love, when you you're not showing people that "hippy love" yourself, so to speak.

Calm down, I'm pretty certain the only people firenix was attacking was mean fiddler.

Either accept the terms and conditions of the festival, or don't.

I've always been under the impression that events thrive on constructive input and ideas, no matter who they are from, or whether they are taken on board or simply disguarded.

I don't think firenix was not accepting the terms and conditions, I think he was simply questioning them.

What if somebody is charging for something in a non-profit manner? (sorry if this has been covered).

Jake the Juggler

Gayle......!SILVER Member
Pooh-Bah
2,444 posts

Posted:
people who wanted to make lanterns:

https://gsh.taiwanschoolnet.org/gsh2003/2335/sk/gnn/001.htm

or if you're rich:

https://www.wishesinthesky.com/

Gayle.....!

FireNixBRONZE Member
old hand
904 posts

Posted:
Thanks JtJ

Feel the Flame
Phirenix

DurbsBRONZE Member
Classically British
5,689 posts

Posted:
Aaaaaaanyway....

It ain't down to me - I think Dunc is in charge of traders, and we're currently considering a "Sole Trader" fee for those selling just one item (e.g. Fab Flags). But this isn't confirmed yet.

But, to address FireNix directly, your original post didn't in anyway suggest you were just selling whips
 Written by:

I’ll be selling all Fire and non-Fire spinning and juggling stuff at knock down prices - I REALLY wanna get rid of all my stuff this year

So not only a range of products but at a heavy discount... Hence the concern regarding traders.
(Incidentally, there might be fire whips for sale on site anyway, so again competition becomes an issue).

I don't think it's in anyway "un-hippy" to take this approach. Isn't "Hippyness" meant to be based around fairness and equality? It might be vaguely capitalist, but as profits are reinvested into Play, and we're looking to expand the festival (not to mention paying off previous debts) that was a little harsh IMO.

Regardless, the matter's still under consideration...

Incidentally, for any other potential traders reading this - the £150 includes 2 tickets (worth £70/80), so you're actually only paying £70/80 to sell your wares (and considering you're coming in for free Nix, this makes it even more skewed).

hug's indeed as I don't want any bad-air created before the festivals even started...

Burner of Toast
Spinner of poi
Slacker of enormous magnitude

JtJCheck ya later
500 posts

Posted:
 Written by: JtJ

What if somebody is charging for something in a non-profit manner? (sorry if this has been covered).

Jake the Juggler

FireNixBRONZE Member
old hand
904 posts

Posted:
Howdi - Youre right my original post did'nt say I was only selling whips - it was more that, that was what I have available (and all before this got a little out of hand). I had the same last year, but only sold a whip to BM - dont know wether ive landed myself in it now!!), but fair point.
If the traders fee includes 2 tickets - thats alot more reasonable. But as I wouldnt require a ticket due to me performing £150 would actually be 'more' for me.
I dont think im coming in for 'free' - Im actually performing, compeering etc..
See my other post about PLAY's non-profit ethos. Personally I think its fair enough you guys try to make some money out of this for all the 'unforseens' that occur. No-one would want to see any of you out of pocket and having to pay of debts and for all your hard work im sure non would feel it unfair to pay your 'expences' of time, effort and money spent.
I like the idea of Sole-trader/fly-pitcher status - I guess thats what I was getting at when I posted.
"Un-Hippyness" - considering ive never found a deffinition that fits and I dont think I want to - its hard to say - but yeah maybe I was harsh - but its certainly sparked debate - Bloody Hippies!! Gonna destroy society..........

Feel the Flame
Phirenix

mechBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
6,207 posts

Posted:

Firenix, I find it hypocritical of you to attack Durbs, Step, Dunc et al for being "unhippy" and not showing you love, when you you're not showing people that "hippy love" yourself, so to speak.

no wait a minute....i don't mind being attacked for not being a hippie...dammit it aint a hippie...and proud of it

smile

Step (el-nombrie)

FireNixBRONZE Member
old hand
904 posts

Posted:
Exactly - me too/neither - even though I dont know what one is!!

Feel the Flame
Phirenix

*HyperLightBRONZE Member
old hand
1,174 posts

Posted:
 Written by: Durbs

I don't want any bad-air created before the festivals even started...

Save that for the main event eh? wink hug

Cake or Death?

mcpPLATINUM Member
Flying Water Muppet
5,276 posts

Posted:
I'm coming in for free, and I have to do is two workshops, two new performances, abuse Strugz a lot and NOT get a free t-shirt.

I dunnoe, without a free t-shirt it doesn't sound worth it... wink

Maybe I'll make up for it by abusing Durbs and Strugz MORE... biggrin

"the now legendary" - Kaskade
"the still legendary" - Kaskade

I spunked in my friend's aquarium and the fish ate it. I love all fish. Especially the pink ones. They are my bitches. - Anon.

FractosDirty Fire Project
133 posts

Posted:
 Written by: FireNix

Exactly - me too/neither - even though I dont know what one is!!

I went to a hacking conference in 2005 - the people organising and running it were the closest I've seen to the Hippie movement, as it was. Obviously, they're still big on personal freedom, fighting civil liberties being taken away, but also they're into knowledge sharing and pointing out why things are getting so f*cked up. God bless the Hippies. It was really good to be surrounded by about 2000 friendly, helpful and frighteningly smart people out there in Holland, and the 150 or so talks that were held that weekend were superb. I highly recommend that kind of event.

Meantime, I'll just have to cope with being around about 500 friendly, helpful, smart, entertaining bloody st*ners biggrin

Ping.

oOo
You see, you already know circle-theory,
you just don't *know* that you know.

GothFrogetteBRONZE Member
grumpy poorly froggy
3,999 posts

Posted:
Jo.. of cause you can have a froggy hug biggrin i ubblove hug i even hugged cheryl baker biggrin ubblol she was rather shocked

Life's too short to worry about where you put your marshmallows

UnclassifiedLeggyGirlBRONZE Member
One day penguins will take over the world
916 posts

Posted:
 Written by: simian

lol

i think we should introduce a new theme for PLAY every year

this year is NEGATIVE PLAY

the t-shirts will be black with PLAY in a scary dribbly blood-red font

we'll have workshops in backbiting, character assassination and general whining

Go on, you know thats an awesome idea.
At the very least, me and Meg would love it biggrin

agreeing with simian!! bring on the negative play!! lol loving the sound of them shirts.......

ummmm...........anybody have any suggestions as to what i can put here?!

mjk is monitoring your interwebs!

_Aime_SILVER Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
4,172 posts

Posted:
I have a new tent!
Reduced to clear from tescos! ubblol

Its cream and flowery and leafy. Its lush!
Huge too. Four man biggrin
Having some space to stretch out to go to bed is going to be lovely smile
My head and feet touched either end in the old one rolleyes

916 posts

Posted:
lol aimee, i still need to grab my tent.... isn't it only 2 weeks till the fest now?? lol i'm such a last minute person!!

mechBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
6,207 posts

Posted:
i would suggest that after last years wind, and some what punishing weather of the past few weeks,

i would suggest that you pitch your tent hard, and strong, this means guy ropes out, and pitch it well!

i dont want to have to do as i did last year and resuce several tents from being blown away while it was pushing hard.

Step (el-nombrie)

_Aime_SILVER Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
4,172 posts

Posted:
Go to tescos! ubblol
They've got loads of camping stuff in atm.
Matching sleeping backs and rucksacks too biggrin

DurbsBRONZE Member
Classically British
5,689 posts

Posted:
 Written by: UnclassifiedLeggyGirl

isn't it only 2 weeks till the fest now??

Yes...

Arrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrgggggggggggggggghhh!!

But also:

Woooooooooooooooooooooooo wink

Burner of Toast
Spinner of poi

the_mods_stole_my_nameSILVER Member
travelling without moving
1,286 posts

Posted:
 Written by: Fractos

Ping.

PONG!!!!!

Heilige Scheiße, Batman kommt!

Reality is just a state of mind which occurs through a lack of lsd

XxX owned by devilsarmy XxX

O.B.E.S.E.

916 posts

Posted:
mech: don't be asking me to pitch my tent properly! lol i'll be looking around for a guy that hasn't got a tent and shall exchange him: he puts up my tent and i let him stay in it! lol

aimee: it could possibly be a reigonal thing, although i'll check it out anyways, are they decent ones??

durbs: bounce2 bounce2 bounce2 bounce2 bounce2 cant wait! 5 days away from my family, i vote for play all year around!

mechBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
6,207 posts

Posted:
uclg - im sure there will be some one around, if not, im sure you could tap up either me or jonnie ucof

he is a true boy scout, and is able to pitch a tent blind fold, i can to, but he does it without the smut and dirty jokes wink

its mainly a warning to say, don't be stupid, you are there for 5 days, pitch your tent well, else you may not have a home to stay in when it blows hard, and most of us will laugh while the tent bimbles off down the field...

also to the guy last year who had one of the instant pitch tents (the ones that spring out into a tent) pleas this year don't throw it in the air, as last year it was caught by the wind, and did fly down the field, or if you have to, please let more of us watch, it was funny as to watch!

lol

Step (el-nombrie)

DurbsBRONZE Member
Classically British
5,689 posts

Posted:
ubblol

I would however say, that unless it's really windy or very rainy, please don't use guy ropes unless you need them for the structure of your tent.
They're really only needed for strong winds or to make your tent a bit more waterproof (so the inner doesn't touch the outer) - otherwise they're just a trip hazard.

Finally tent companies have cottoned on to this and are now making guy ropes in bright yellow, however attaching glow sticks, squares of tin foil, or even just sticking rizla to them, makes them much easier to see as you stumble drunkenly back to your tent wink

Burner of Toast
Spinner of poi

916 posts

Posted:
awww. why would i not want the smut and dirty jokes?? they make it all the more fun wink lol and that does sound truely funny, really hope someone brings a pop up tent this year so i can see ubblol

mechBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
6,207 posts

Posted:
 Written by: Durbs

... or even just sticking rizla to them, makes them much easier to see as you stumble drunkenly back to your tent wink

no durbs, sticking rizzla to your tent's guy lines, well that just means bloommin hippie will try and smoke your guy lines at 3am!
ubblol

Step (el-nombrie)

BamBamPooh-Bah
1,810 posts

Posted:
did someone say lines at 3am.... who's tent biggrin rolleyes
EDITED_BY: BamBam (1184168147)

A kiss blown is a kiss wasted, the only kind of kiss is a kiss tasted.

I'm a woman. We don't say what we want, but we reserve the right to be pissed off if we don't get it. That's what makes us so fascinating and not just a LITTLE bit scary.

mechBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
6,207 posts

Posted:
 Written by: BamBam

did someone say lines at 3am.... who's tent smile

bloodie HIPPIES wink

as far as ai can remember honey, last year it took, me, you , cole, helen, and jonnie ucof to get your tent up, any chance this year you can get a smaller one wink

else, can we hire the north wind of your tent castle of workshops wink

Step (el-nombrie)

FireNixBRONZE Member
old hand
904 posts

Posted:
I'll be taking 2 spare tents if anyone requires.
Let me know if you need to borrow. I think Nick?meenik has dibs on one
Peas

Feel the Flame
Phirenix

916 posts

Posted:
ooh, you're being all nice and generous FN, or is that just incase the one you pitch first blows away and you have a spare?? lol good idea if so

UCOFSILVER Member
15,417 posts

Posted:
The correct way to "Pitch a tent"

ubbrollsmile

Page: ......