Forums > Social Discussion > Question for those who read fiction

Login/Join to Participate
Page:
PeleBRONZE Member
the henna lady
6,193 posts

Posted:
I was just reading on a publisher submission guideline page that they only accept submissions which are written in the 3rd person because "studies and sales have shown this is preferred by readers over 1st person perspective."

I'd never thought about it before to tell you the truth.
And now that I am, I think I prefer 1st person because it allows me to be in the main character's head.

Though I see the virtue of 3rd person because it offers a broader range of vision into the story.

I think that, as a writer, this is important to know.
The site didn't give any links to studies or anything, and I know that the authors I enjoy reading are of both perspectives, so I thought I'd ask others.

Which perspective do you prefer to read and why?

Thanks!:)

Pele
Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir
"Oooh look! A pub!" -exclaimed after recovering from a stupid fall
"And for the decadence of art, nothing beats a roaring fire." -TMK

pricklyleafSILVER Member
with added berries
1,365 posts

Posted:
Generally, I prefer third person, however, I do think there is a place for 1st person within fiction.

For instance, I read Frankenstien (Mary Shelley), not too long ago, and although its possibly one of the harder books I've read the part that I really enjoyed was the bit where Frankenstien's monster describes how he learnt about language and humans, all in first person. It worked brilliantly in that bit, and was possibly one of the best sections of a book I ever read, worth the effort of the rest of it!

So I think it depends on context.

Live like there is no tomorrow,
dance like nobody is watching
and hula hoop like wiggling will save the world.

“What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us.”

Ralph Waldo Emerson

SkattoGOLD Member
Walking on whims...
687 posts

Posted:
I prefer both reading and writing in third person when writing/reading stories. It just feels smoother to me and more natural than writing "I did this and thought that. I opened the door and swallowed huge blob of phlegm - I was nervous." It just doesn’t feel right to me.

I prefer describing the scenes, atmosphere, surroundings and people as a sort of spectator - i.e. third person. It flows easily and is more comfortable to read… but I think it is purely a matter of preference.

The only book I really enjoyed in first-person was The Rik Mayll’s. wink But that’s not a fiction book… its complete and utter truth!

First person fiction writing can be done effectively, but I do not enjoy it as much as third person; both as a writer and as a reader.

Just me though. biggrin

Skatto

"Fly like a mouse,
Run like a cushion,
Be the small bookcase."

For goodness sake, don't aggravate the otters!!!

BEZERKERenthusiast
237 posts

Posted:
I enjoy (and have enjoyed) both depending on the book and the story being told.

Boo and phooey to preference over either by publishers.

NeserGOLD Member
63 posts

Posted:
I find it varies for me.

Sometimes, when writing, I like to write in 1st person because you're seeing it from THEIR view. And there may be some things that you want to hide from the reader/main character. Things that they have to discover later.

Writing in 3rd person though, you're able to explore the enviroment more.

I honestly dont mind which to read. I'll happily read 1st person and 3rd peson. Either can go into descriptive detail, however 1st person would give you a better perspective on the main characters view.

Just my thoughts.

~ Neser

Fuel your fascination, burn your desire and dance with flames

PeleBRONZE Member
the henna lady
6,193 posts

Posted:
I think it is very interesting where no one is really saying they prefer 1st. It's either an "I don't care" or it's 3rd. Huh.

I would never have guessed that.

Thanks so much everyone, and if anyone has any more thoughts or opinions, I am still interested! smile

Pele
Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir
"Oooh look! A pub!" -exclaimed after recovering from a stupid fall
"And for the decadence of art, nothing beats a roaring fire." -TMK

Page: