Forums > Social Discussion > Your nickname, and you, your feelings and your friends!

Login/Join to Participate
Page: 12345
Yakumo
Yakumo

veteran
Total posts: 1237
Posted:I've been using Yakumo for games, and online since I was 15, so.. lets just say over 10 years now wink

I never really particularly liked or felt attached to the nicknames I'd been called by others at school etc.

I'd felt at the time, it's not the nick that counts, it's what you make of it, choose something you like, and make it yours.

I chose Yakumo on a whim, I needed something, and didn't want to use my real name to play a game, I quite liked it and liked the character I took it from, it was years later I found out it's true meaning (eight clouds) which I also liked, but don't really feel it represents me any more. I really beleive in 'make it yours' but right now I guess I feel it's a little out of place, for the first time I feel perhaps it's not right for me, and where I'm going (wherever that may be..) and maybe I should try something a little different, I still sometimes attach 'unr' (from my old quake2/3 clan) to the end of it if 'Yakumo' is an unavailable choice, or if something requires a surname, but that is really a life I've long left behind now.

<edit: ok, much as I'd like to deny it sometimes that whim was largely based on 'Yakumo' from an anime called 3x3eyes, I liked the character, though I wish he'd opened his eyes, he made me laugh, and kept dying in stupid ways and respawning so seemed very apt for the game I was about to play with my friends (doom or Quake 1 I forget), I also liked how protective he was of Pai, I feel that way about those I care for too>

So that brings us to this topic, how did you chose your nick, how long have you used it? have you/do you change it? are you happy with it still? do you feel it represents you?

And to make more of a conversation of it,or if you don't want to talk about yourself, please comment if you can on how you feel about the nicks of other posters in this thread, (or any other HoP'er) and how well you feel their nick represents them smile

maybe I just feel I need a real, complete fresh start, bundled in with thoughts of maybe finally leaving where I've lived for 7 years. But with Spinners is where I want to stay smile

EDITED_BY: Yakumo (1168351104)

Blinded by Hyperlights, please donate generously grin

Delete Topic

blu_valley
blu_valley

fluffy mess
Total posts: 197
Posted:Blu_valley was born out of my email address.

My real name is Lois, which my friends kept trying to shorten. Lo didn't really fit because I'm really tall and not Low at all, so they used to call me Lu...apart from one friend who called me babe( which I hated)..so it then became Babelu and then Blu...which suits me just fine.

The valley part came as I was trying to choose my email address. My full name had already been hijacked so I decided to go with Blu and I had just come back from the most amazing festival in a place called rustlers valley. I learnt a few lessons in that valley and a few truths hit home, so the valley part was defenitly me.

smile

"I want to know if you can see beauty even when it's not pretty, every day,and if you can source your own life from its presence.." - Oriah Mountain Dreamer

Delete

Rouge Dragon
Rouge Dragon

Insert Champagne Here
Total posts: 13215
Posted:ooh! how cool! hug

i would have changed ***** to phallus, and claire to petey Petey

Rougie: but that's what I'm doing here
Arnwyn: what letting me adjust myself in your room?..don't you dare quote that on HoP...

Delete

87wt2gxq7
87wt2gxq7

veteran
Total posts: 1502
Posted:hehee, wicked.

And silly me, I thought it was something to do with your blue hair piccie

Delete

Mr Majestik
Mr Majestik

coming to a country near you
Total posts: 4693
Posted:i started off with lost_jesta but it just didnt seem quite right for me, and i liked the combination of mr m in a name. after a bit of thought i found the word majestic (although i already knew it) and i loved the word and the grace and dignity it kind of implies, but also the fact it still contained the word "jest" which implies a sense of humor.. so mr majestic was for me. a bit later i decided aesthetically it looked better with a k instead of a c, it also meant i was less likely to find other people using the title. once when i was on msn with a friend he shortened it to mjk, which aesthetically i also like so i use that a lot too. later i founbd out mjk are the initials for the lead singer of tool, but oh well, it still means majestik to me smile

so here i am, mr majestik/mjk

"but have you considered there is more to life than your eyelids?"

jointly owned by Fire_Spinning_Angel and Blu_Valley

Delete

Mr Majestik
Mr Majestik

Posted: Written by: tillymoo

- odd seeing as though it is about a swagman stealing a sheep then drowning himself in the river when the police come to arrest him - dunno what that says about our national identity)

i like the fact that he'd rather die free than live in prison. smile

waltzing matilda, she came from st. Kilda, her middle name was hilda and her daddy was a builder biggrin plue the scared littlies made an awesome rap version.

Delete

Rouge Dragon
Rouge Dragon

Insert Champagne Here
Total posts: 13215
Posted:yeah, thats the way i think the legend goes. Aussie mentality is we'd rather die than not have ourfreedom smile

i would have changed ***** to phallus, and claire to petey Petey

Rougie: but that's what I'm doing here
Arnwyn: what letting me adjust myself in your room?..don't you dare quote that on HoP...

Delete

Mr Majestik
Mr Majestik

Posted:even though we're slowly losing it anyway. smile

Delete

blu_valley
blu_valley

fluffy mess
Posted:Vampyric_Acid...I have never thought the name suited him, not ever, but then he tried to change it and it just wasn;t right...pretty much everyone demanded that he changed it back.

I think basically once you get to know a HOPper by a certain name, nothing else feels right.

"I want to know if you can see beauty even when it's not pretty, every day,and if you can source your own life from its presence.." - Oriah Mountain Dreamer

Delete

Rovo
Rovo

(the person actually known as Chris Bailey)
Total posts: 544
Posted:My nickname, Rovo, has quite a history and comes from my oh so screwed up childhood/teen years. My last name used to be Rovazzini, so friends when I was 11 or 12 started calling me Rovo for short and since it was a unique nickname I went with it. Then when I was 14 I found out someone else was my father (the story is way more complicated then that but there's no need to develope an entire Jerry Springer plot line on this forum)and my last name was changed to Bailey. My classmates and friends still called me Rovo even after the name change since it was my nickname before, and an easy one to remember at that. To me a name became just that, a name. It didn't matter what I was called because after the name change the person who I was inside didn't change, I realized my name was just a label for the being that is me.

Rovo as a nickname actually works out pretty well. Not once have I ever come across another Rovo in all my travels. It is easy to remember and spell and often enough people mistake it for Robo and I have to remind them I am not a cop and do not like to trip on Robitussin cough syrup.

The only downside is that I have to share names with this (sarcasm warning) "totally awesome and incredibly cool" band.

Does anyone think my next spinning video should have this song as it's soundtrack? ubblol

Peace, Love, Circles

Delete

LazyAngel
LazyAngel

Carpal \'Tunnel
Total posts: 2895
Posted:Blu: yeah I know what you mean, but Lemsip and the other name ( I can't remember what) just sounded wrong! Also now it's gets shortened to vamp, or quite often we just call him Simon. I guess a bit like most people call me Guy rather than LazyAngel, once they've actually met me (at least as far as I know)

Because ActiveAngel sounds like a feminine deodorant

Like sex, I'm much more interesting in real life than online.

'Be the change you want to see in the world around you' - Ghandi

Delete

blu_valley
blu_valley

fluffy mess
Posted:I suppose..now that I think about it, I always call him Simon...and I alway call you Guy ubblol

Delete

alien_oddity
alien_oddity

Carpal \'Tunnel
Total posts: 7193
Posted:i've had many a nickname over the years.ranging from simple "bloomers" to "bundy" as in al bundy....................possibly at times ted bundy ubblol

but at the moment close people either call me al or ravey.

i'm not really one to hold sentiment to nick names

Delete

_Aime_
_Aime_

Carpal \'Tunnel
Total posts: 4172
Posted:Aime, AimeCakes, Aimz, Aim, or just plain A. Oh and my dad calls me Meemee, but thats sickly cute and not really me at all I don't think?

I've never really used anything besides my real name for anything.

I'm not really sure why..

I guess its because I'm quite fond it it. The way it sounds and the way its spelt.

I am Aime! I am nothing else.

As for calling people by their HoP or real names, I think it depends on the HoP name and the real name, also on the person, but I cant really pinpoint what it is that makes me go either way..

I think Blu and Pigeon are the only people who I use both for. Besides them everybody else is one of the other.

EDITED_BY: Aime (1168628805)

Delete

Gidg
Gidg

Super Gidg!!!!
Total posts: 8506
Posted:I've been called Gidg since I was three days old ... I think it's sort of stuck.

All the other nicknames have been a play off of Gidg, the newest one being Gidglette and seems to be popular on line and at work. I still haven't figured out how it got started at work, there is no connection between my online friends and work. Strange.

Growing old is mandatory; growing up is NOT.
Proud member of the HoP DPS.
Sanity is a highly overrated state of mind.
I'm normal ... it's everyone else that's crazy.

Gidg

Delete

=Flashpoint=
=Flashpoint=

Pasta of Muppets
Total posts: 2719
Posted:I couldnt think of anything original.

So i looked over at my games collection and saw "Operation Flashpoint"

Flashpoint of fuels.

I used to have a really short temper.

Bading!

However, my school nickname was "Booma" and i've been saddles withit cos I was loud in class. A teacher called Mr Darlington dubbed me that.

Git.
The only people who are allowed ( smile ) to call me that are people from school, and my brother.

Its just Pete otherwise. Latin for Rock. And thats a hard notion to live up to sometimes.

ohmygodlaserbeamspewpewpew!
ubbrollsmileubbrollsmileubbrollsmileubbrollsmile

Delete

Winged Avenger
Winged Avenger

The official Emma Peel wannabe
Total posts: 226
Posted:Hello!

By popular request here I am to explain my HoP name!

Have to say it took me ages to think of one cos the only nicknames I've ever had was Droopy (not having that!!) and Kazza by aussie friends.

I wouldn't call my Avenger liking-ness an obsession - more a very active interest. I wanted something Avengery but that wasn't too obvious. The Winged Avenger is an episode where some comic book writers have a giant Bird of Prey who avenges the wrongs of the world. However (warning - spoiler!!) One of the comic book writers has been donning the Winged Avenger suit and killing board members of the publishing company!!!!! Have just discovered this clip! Requires real player I am the Winged Avenger

However, one of the extras on the DVD tells me that Eee-Urp (the noise that the Winged Avenger makes)is the international greeting of Avenger fans everywhere! I have never heard this and dread the day when I Eee-Urp someone....

Am considering just changing it to Karen though as I'm not really a giant bird of prey who murders people! Its not a very exciting story but it has to with my Avenger-love!

EDITED_BY: Winged Avenger (1176452748)

"Always keep your bowler on in times of stress and watch out for diabolical masterminds" - Emma Peel

Delete

LazyAngel
LazyAngel

Carpal \'Tunnel
Total posts: 2895
Posted:rolleyes I rest my case wink

Because ActiveAngel sounds like a feminine deodorant

Like sex, I'm much more interesting in real life than online.

'Be the change you want to see in the world around you' - Ghandi

Delete

Winged Avenger
Winged Avenger

The official Emma Peel wannabe
Total posts: 226
Posted:I don't know what you mean! Just cos I have an Avengers HoP name, Emma Peel as my avatar, I have a bowler hat and my signature is a quote from Emma Peel!

I don't get how i'm obsessed!

"Always keep your bowler on in times of stress and watch out for diabolical masterminds" - Emma Peel

Delete

TinyPixie
TinyPixie

enthusiast
Total posts: 394
Posted:No! Don't change it Karen! It's a great HoP name smile

Oh, my HoP name (TinyPixie) is pretty obvious to anyone who has met me ... I'm very, very small and I look a bit pixie-like, I guess, people tell me shrug Plus, people always go "oh! Of course!" when they meet me and I tell them my HoP name, so I guess it makes sense

Delete

Neon_Shaolin
Neon_Shaolin

hehe, 'Member' huhuh
Total posts: 6120
Posted:I remember that episode WA!!! It was the one where Emma Peel inexplicably wears a hat when she's walking on a ceiling wink and Steed beats up the bad guy with large comic panels with stuff like 'POW!' 'ZAP''WACK' painted on them - Batman-style! ubblol

You may be small nat but you're perfectly formed... like Plankton... biggrin

"I used to want to change the world, now I just wanna leave the room with a little dignity..." - Lotus Weinstock

Delete

TinyPixie
TinyPixie

enthusiast
Posted:I like plankton smile

Delete

Yakumo
Yakumo

veteran
Posted:Neon hit the nail on the head as usual smile not sure about the plankton thing though tongue

I hope Irinus is going to join the thread.

Delete

TinyPixie
TinyPixie

enthusiast
Posted:heehee! I blush redface redface

I don't know if Irinus will, he likes to maintain an air of mystery... wink

Delete

Yakumo
Yakumo

veteran
Posted:He does that pretty well smile it's an interesting name though, I may have asked about the origin in Ed. , but I've forgotten frown .. I shouldn't be nosey wink

@ Rovo I'd much rather watch you spin than that band play biggrin

Delete

Charlie Fox
Charlie Fox

Burinating the village like Trogdor
Total posts: 156
Posted:My forum names just whats written on my Credit Card, initials and last name.

Of interest... maybe. My mum is also a C Fox, and my little sister s M P J Fox.

My work/street name is occasionally Foxy, or Fox. You dont need to be a rocket scientist to work out why... Cos i'm DAMN FOXY!!! *cough* Or so my Partner would tell me wink

One of the advantages of being disorderly is that one is constantly making exciting discoveries.
- A.A. Milne

Don't join dangerous cults: Practice safe sects!
- Anon (I think)

Delete

FoxInDocs
FoxInDocs

Pooh-Bah
Total posts: 1848
Posted:a-hem... foxy's taken. tongue

"i am exotic, and must keep my arms down" - Rougie

"i don't understand what penises have to do with getting married" - Foxie

Delete

bender
still can't believe it's not butter
Total posts: 6979
Posted:i chose bender because 'malcolm' was already taken.

Laugh Often, Smile Much, Post lolcats Always

Delete

Gayle......!
Pooh-Bah
Total posts: 2444
Posted: Written by: Winged Avenger

I wouldn't call my Avenger liking-ness an obsession - more a very active interest.

ubblol ubblol ubblol ubblol ubblol ubblol wink

I think Skulduggery is Skully to all and it suits her so well ubblove and the same for Bird (although i always call him Dave Bird as i know far to many Daves). I always thought Bird was a woman before i met him and sometimes i think he does too! ubblol

In Bristol there is always confusion between Sy(dream on HoP) and Psi (on HoP, Mike in real life)

I think Nate will always be Nate and never "Osakini". It just doesn't work and i could never call Mr Chutney Dave, it would just be so so wrong!

My HoP name is my real name as i couldn't be bothered to tell people both names. I'm that slack.

Gayle.....!

Delete

roarfire
roarfire

comfortably numb
Total posts: 2676
Posted:Some of you have such great stories behind your names and I find that really facinating.

Um...Mine is quite basic and just came to me randomly.

I like tigers and fire....tigers go roar and fire just sounds cool at the end tongue

.All things are beautiful if we take the time to look.

Delete

Mynci
Mynci

Macaque of all trades
Total posts: 8737
Posted:I'm sure I posted in here but just can't find it...

I used to climb and look like a monkey nothing complex, along with my love for the great sage and the the fact I used to listened to Gorkys Zygotic Mynci kinda put it all together.

A couple of balls short of a full cascade... or maybe a few cards short of a deck... we'll see how this all fans out.

Delete

Page: 12345