Forums > Help! > Admitting defeat - need help uploading footage.

Login/Join to Participate

_Aime_SILVER Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
4,172 posts

Posted:
I am rubbish.

Have spent pretty much the past month farting about with this doolale.

Hitachi DZ-MV1000E PAL.

So after learning how to use the ruddy thing at clapham, which was a mission and a half in itself..I'd like to upload some footage to edit it. But no. It wont let me do that.

Installed all software as it said to do.

Makes the 'dunk dink!' noise when plugged in, but not showing up in my computer, 'no camera detected' in all the thingys that edit it.

Manually install drivers.

Same problem.

No drive detected. E: drive not accesable and all these kind of things.

Also saying something about PAL and my preferances.

I've tried all sorts of things and everything and David is being a stupid arse and butting in when I'm trying to learn how to do something with it and confusing me even more.

And just putting the little disc into the drive dosn't work either. I can hear it spinning around really fast and making an unhealthy whirring noise.

Using windows XP.

Help would be greatly appriciated

Oh! And I've tried differant USB ports as well. Same problem.

This is going to be one of those stupid little things that takes a second to put straight isn't it? frown

xx

EDITED_BY: Aimée (1164990206)

mcpPLATINUM Member
Flying Water Muppet
5,276 posts

Posted:
is it set to 'vcr' or 'playback' mode when or after you plug it in? My camera only works with the 'puter when it's set to playback mode.

(y'know not recording video mode, but I wanna see what I recorded by rewinding and replaying it mode... )

"the now legendary" - Kaskade
"the still legendary" - Kaskade

I spunked in my friend's aquarium and the fish ate it. I love all fish. Especially the pink ones. They are my bitches. - Anon.

DurbsBRONZE Member
Classically British
5,689 posts

Posted:
Hmmmm

Once it's gone "dunk dink" (as opposed to "dink dunk" when you unplug it) if you hold windows key down and press Pause/Break key, then select "Hardware" and then "Device Manager" - does it appear in that list at all, or do you have and "Unknown devices" listed?

As for just ripping (not "uploading" btw, that's how you get it on the internet generally wink ) from the DVD - on the camera, can you configure which region it records the DVD to?
Does the camera come with any specific software for ripping/viewing the footage?

Burner of Toast
Spinner of poi
Slacker of enormous magnitude

DurbsBRONZE Member
Classically British
5,689 posts

Posted:
And likewise what Meg said - mine too has to be in "Play" mode to rip stuff.

Burner of Toast
Spinner of poi

_Aime_SILVER Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
4,172 posts

Posted:
Have been in the device manager section before this past week and its listed there...

Manual wotsit says I have to have it set to video to rip (:p) footage.

To play footage back theres a little button on the side...not on the rolling clicky wheel on the other side..on there I have photo, video, off, and card. Camera dosn't play back footage when plugged in. Just have a black screen.

polaritySILVER Member
veteran
1,228 posts

Posted:
I've had similar problems with USB devices before, especially ones that appear to the computer as a disk drive.

It usually comes down to the USB controller chip that goes between the USB sockets on the back of the computer and the chipset on the computer's motherboard (the part that links absolutely everything together inside). With some USB controllers, you'll get no end of problems.

My digital cameras wouldn't work no matter what drivers I used, or what USB socket they were plugged into. In the end I had to buy a seperate card to add some more USB sockets. Because it had a different USB controller on it, it solved the problem.

What brand/model of computer do you have? You might want to try the camera on a different computer before considering buying a USB PCI card.

You aren't thinking or really existing unless you're willing to risk even your own sanity in the judgment of your existence.

Green peppers, lime pickle and whole-grain mustard = best sandwich filling.

_Aime_SILVER Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
4,172 posts

Posted:
I've always had problems with USB stuff before as well...the iPod, the three cameras I've gone through in past 2 years, new mp3... All problems being recognised by the computer.

So maybe its not my rubbish computer skills after all?

I have absoloutly no idea what my computer is, but I'll have a butchers on my sisters laptop over the weekend.

Cheers for the help all smile

Just_Another_Clownold hand
965 posts

Posted:
I am having the sam eproblem with my camera, got loads of lovely footage on these tiny discs, but i cant seem to upload them onto my comp. WIll jsut keep on clicking away till it works biggrin biggrin

Q:"How many Jugglers Does it take to change a light bulb?"
A:"One, but another 99 others saying,'I could do that if I only practised more'" biggrin biggrin

Gate Keeper to Shocked_Prawn. None may pass.

UCOFSILVER Member
15,417 posts

Posted:
 Written by: Durbs

if you hold windows key down and press Pause/Break key

I didnt know that one! Thanks! hug

Aimee: Do you know if you have a video capture card? Cos then you could just have a cable between the camera and the capture card, and record onto the computer that way. It is much slower though... confused Just a thought.

DurbsBRONZE Member
Classically British
5,689 posts

Posted:
Durbs - Source of a surprising amount of windows shortcuts biggrin

Burner of Toast
Spinner of poi

_Aime_SILVER Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
4,172 posts

Posted:
Tried it on sister laptop and the living room pooter....still no worky frown

Oh, and I asked mum what the computer was as I couldnt find a name on it.

She said the man at the computer shop made it. The on button has a light behind it and fades through differant colours if thats any help at all rolleyes ubblol

Also have no knowledge of what a video capture card is
EDITED_BY: Aimée (1165339030)

UCOFSILVER Member
15,417 posts

Posted:
hug biggrin

Getting people to tell others what computers they have is hard. Unless they are bought from Dell, or Compaq, or Mesh (or a proper branded computer), its impossible to tell.
Many people make their own computers nowerdays as it is sooo much cheaper too, so they dont have a specific computer, only a motherboard number. ubblol

Aimee, a video capture card is a piece of hardware that lets you record tv, or general video signals (and sound too) from any video output device through a cable.
click me

Also, did you install the drivers before connecting up the hardware?

Try uninstalling everything you installed for the camera, then reboot, then reinstall, then connect the camera again.

Alternativly, have you read the instruction manual? umm wink

Hope this helps!

mcpPLATINUM Member
Flying Water Muppet
5,276 posts

Posted:
yup, if you don't install the drivers before your connect the device, windows will pop up with that "I've detected new hardware!" (no [censored] [censored] sherlock, I just plugged it in) and then proceed to install it incorrectly, even when using the supplied drivers.

I spunked in my friend's aquarium and the fish ate it. I love all fish. Especially the pink ones. They are my bitches. - Anon.

UCOFSILVER Member
15,417 posts

Posted:
Hey Meg.. I ubblove you hug

Just wanted you to know biggrin

mcpPLATINUM Member
Flying Water Muppet
5,276 posts

Posted:
biggrin hug ucof.

(edit, the windows thing is only sometimes. like the best random Pavlovian training regimes.)

I have an innocent smoothie I don't think I like enough to finish! My life is DOOMED!

_Aime_SILVER Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
4,172 posts

Posted:
I've tried uninstalling, rebooting and re-installing untill I'm blue in the face, and I'm pretty sure this hunk of junk dosn't have a video capture card...

hug

UCOFSILVER Member
15,417 posts

Posted:
Did someone say Pavlova? biggrin

Non-Https Image Link

mcpPLATINUM Member
Flying Water Muppet
5,276 posts

Posted:
I think you might be emitting bogons, which are particles that cause electronic equipment to mysteriously not work.

You should not touch the camera for a whole day, then put it in a cotton bag while avoid full eye contact with it. (preferably you should be wearing gloves also) then give it to the nearest / most geeky person you know. Ask them to rip it on their computer for you, and give you the data uncompressed on a data DVD / CD for you.

If you don't follow these instructions exactly, the bogons could linger around the camera and affect the geek's computer also.

wink

but getting a geek to do it for you sounds like the way forward.

after that (and only after) ask them to help you fix your computer to work with it. To avoid future ripping duties, they'll hopefully agree to help.

UCOFSILVER Member
15,417 posts

Posted:
Aimee: St.Leonards... near Brighton? Meh.. I could come down and see if I can fix it.. im not particularly busy with life. biggrin

Final thing: Have you tried looking in the troubleshooting bit in the manual?
Have you tried putting the camera into the different modes (Camera/ VCR/ etc) when it is plugged in?
Tried rebooting with the camera still plugged in?

Other than that, the only thing i can suggest is: Put the cd that came with the camera in the disc drive. Uninstall the drivers through Durbs' handy keyboard shortcut. Try adding new hardware, then telling windows to look on the cd for the drivers for the new hardware.
If that doesnt work, try kicking your computer and swearing loudly at it smile

animatEdBRONZE Member
1 + 1 = 3
3,540 posts

Posted:
You're going down hastings way Mr. 'Cof?

Wanna make it the 15th, 16th, 17th, 18th or 19th? ubbangel

Oh, and there's a direct train from Waterloo east. smile

Empty your mind. Be formless, Shapeless, like Water.
Put Water into a cup, it becomes the cup, put water into a bottle, it becomes the bottle, put water into a teapot, it becomes the teapot.
Water can flow, or it can Crash.
Be Water My Friend.

_Aime_SILVER Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
4,172 posts

Posted:
Its about an hour away from brighton! But 3 minutes away from where you were down here before tongue

Have tried both of those things before, and unfortunatly shall have to resort to kicking and shouting at it very loudly smile

You're a lovely, and thats very nice of you but I dont want to put you out of trouble kiss

UCOFSILVER Member
15,417 posts

Posted:
Aimee: You're a all Italian on me biggrin And you dont want to put me out of trouble? Well, I know who not to turn to when I need help! wink nana

ubbrollsmile

Pm...innit. biggrin

Tried these?

More specifically this one?