Forums > Social Chat > Salmonella poisoning - the facts

Login/Join to Participate
Page:
FireTomStargazer
6,650 posts

Posted:
rolleyes Ya I know: "pedantic" is the term... But I can't help it, hate to see the world go down in blissful ignorance...

Taken from:

University of Iowa

Written by:

Spending a few minutes making chocolate chip cookie dough and eating the whole bowlful may not be your idea of a wild time. But it can be more dangerous than you think, says Phyllis Stumbo, research nutritionist at the University of Iowa College of Medicine. "Raw cookie dough contains raw eggs, a potential carrier of salmonella bacteria," she explains.

"Salmonella can be in all animal products, but one of the biggest problems is raw eggs. The bacteria lives on and around the animals, right where the eggs are." The egg itself is not the problem, Stumbo says. "Eggs inside the shell are extremely sterile. It's when you crack the egg that bacteria on the shell can get inside."

She doesn't recommend washing the eggs before putting them in the refrigerator. "Washing an egg wipes off part of the protective coating so bacteria can get inside more easily. If you want to wash the eggs, do so right before you use them."

Keeping your hands clean is the best way to protect against salmonella poisoning. Be aware, too, of contaminating your hands again. "If you wash your hands and then cut up chicken; for example, you should wash your hands before handling the salad fixings. And clean the cutting board with warm, soapy water, rinsing well after washing, before using it to cut the vegetables."

Symptoms of salmonella poisoning include diarrhea, severe abdominal pain, chills, fever and nausea. Symptoms usually appear within eight to 72 hours after you have eaten the food, she says. "This can make it difficult to pinpoint the food containing the salmonella bacteria, because in all likelihood, you've eaten the evidence," Stumbo says.

Salmonella can be life-threatening for the frail elderly and infants. For most healthy people, Stumbo says, salmonella is not deadly. "We've all eaten bacteria, and a little bit isn't going to hurt you. But I'd definitely advise you not to eat a bowl of cookie dough. And you probably shouldn't give your child the cake batter bowl and beaters to lick," she says.

If you experience salmonella poisoning symptoms, you'll most likely recover, Stumbo says. "But if you become dehydrated, see your doctor immediately."

For more information about salmonella poisoning, talk to your physician.

So NEVER - I say: NEVER DARE to eat raw eggs - it's a surefire way to get salmonella poisoning.... errm, hang on, have I just ignored my own post? umm wink footinmouth

the best smiles are the ones you lead to wink

pineapple peteSILVER Member
water based
5,125 posts

Posted:
scrambling about.. pure poultry in motion wink

hug

"you know there are no trophys for doing silly things in real life yeah pete?" said ant "you wont get a 'listened to ride of the valkyries all the way to vietnam' trophy"

*proud owner of the very cute fire_spinning_angel, birgit and neon shaolin*

Neon_ShaolinGOLD Member
hehe, 'Member' huhuh
6,120 posts

Posted:
 Written by: pineapple pete

pure poultry in motion wink

Non-Https Image Link

hug

"I used to want to change the world, now I just wanna leave the room with a little dignity..." - Lotus Weinstock

DragosaniGOLD Member
sunset seadragon
679 posts

Posted:
Oh, that's henious wink

“A dreamer is one who can only find his way by moonlight, and his punishment is that he sees the dawn before the rest of the world.” - Oscar Wilde
Jointly owned by FreyaJ, Birgit and Aurinko

Neon_ShaolinGOLD Member
hehe, 'Member' huhuh
6,120 posts

Posted:
Whisked me away from the the monotony of work for a few hours...

"I used to want to change the world, now I just wanna leave the room with a little dignity..." - Lotus Weinstock

DragosaniGOLD Member
sunset seadragon
679 posts

Posted:
Don't beat yourself up over it wink

“A dreamer is one who can only find his way by moonlight, and his punishment is that he sees the dawn before the rest of the world.” - Oscar Wilde

Neon_ShaolinGOLD Member
hehe, 'Member' huhuh
6,120 posts

Posted:
I SOOOOooo read that wrong first time...

UCOFSILVER Member
15,417 posts

Posted:
Im reporting this thread to a mod.

Its an outcry of public decency for the horrendous jokes.

wink

DragosaniGOLD Member
sunset seadragon
679 posts

Posted:
Oh Dave, you are such a chicken...
Strutting around the neighbourhood looking for (insert synonym for chicken feed) and at night looking for a stick to sit on... devil

DragosaniGOLD Member
sunset seadragon
679 posts

Posted:
Ooooh, Oooooh, and I forgot the most obvious one...

Neon_ShaolinGOLD Member
hehe, 'Member' huhuh
6,120 posts

Posted:
And what would that be?

Surely not a poultry-reference-as-euphemism regarding my sexual preferences? If so it's already been done at the top of this page... tongue

Sorry UCOF, making jokes is the only way I can come out of my shell...

UCOFSILVER Member
15,417 posts

Posted:
Can I make a lame joke about wanting a duck?

wink

Neon_ShaolinGOLD Member
hehe, 'Member' huhuh
6,120 posts

Posted:
Ducks lay eggs don't they? (damn tasty eggs they are as well...) Go for it! biggrin

clap for breaking the mould of chicken jokes...

Make all the duck jokes you want, but I have a feeling it's not gonna be pheasant... tongue

UCOFSILVER Member
15,417 posts

Posted:
See I told you it was lame...
You didnt even realise it was a joke wink

DragosaniGOLD Member
sunset seadragon
679 posts

Posted:
What's the difference between Doc Lightning and a mallard with a cold?...

Well, one's a sick duck...

Neon_ShaolinGOLD Member
hehe, 'Member' huhuh
6,120 posts

Posted:
umm

I got it... hence the clap it just got overshadowed by previous ones like 'Cluck Off' and 'Go Pluck Yourself...' biggrin

DurbsBRONZE Member
Classically British
5,689 posts

Posted:
umm
There's so many things wrong with that... (Let alone you mean Mallard, not mallet)

Anyway, I'm very busy at work - must quack on...

Burner of Toast
Spinner of poi
Slacker of enormous magnitude

DragosaniGOLD Member
sunset seadragon
679 posts

Posted:
that's it Durbs, start picking on the non-english speaking people. Bigot wink

FireTomStargazer
6,650 posts

Posted:
You guys make me smirk...

puuuut put put put bunny bunny bunny

Non-Https Image Link

so wrong! And all that til easter... rolleyes ubbloco
EDITED_BY: FireTom (1161269993)

the best smiles are the ones you lead to wink

DragosaniGOLD Member
sunset seadragon
679 posts

Posted:
Oh and by the way Durbsie.
The pun I was intending was about a sick duck and the other being a doc.. duck <-> doc... get it?
Oh and I'm not a mean mallard ! ubbangel

Tao StarPooh-Bah
1,662 posts

Posted:
 Written by: Juxtaposeur

Chicks are an easy lay... That's why I prefer a bit of cock

i think you'll find it's the other way round.

I had a dream that my friend had a
strong-bad pop up book,
it was the book of my dreams.

Page: