DentrassiGOLD Member
ZORT!
3,045 posts

Posted:
does anyone have a good Laksa recipe they can recommend? I can find about ten million versions on google, but was after more personal experience.... i was after anyone on here who had a tried and true recipe at least for the laksa paste?

thanx,
E ubbrollsmile

"Here kitty kitty...." - Schroedinger.

Mr MajestikSILVER Member
coming to a country near you
4,696 posts

Posted:
CHICKUNNN!!!!!!!!!!!!! ;D

"but have you considered there is more to life than your eyelids?"

jointly owned by Fire_Spinning_Angel and Blu_Valley

The Tea FairySILVER Member
old hand
853 posts

Posted:
Umm...

What is a laksa? redface

Idolized by Aurinoko

Take me disappearing through the smoke rings of my mind....

Bob Dylan

Skater_Rock_Chicmember
32 posts

Posted:
isn't alaska a place tongue ???

i am the bearer of one A* GCSE, 8 A's, 4 B's and one C!! biggrin YAY!!

X X x LoVe YOu aLL x X X

The Tea FairySILVER Member
old hand
853 posts

Posted:
ubblol

Idolized by Aurinoko

Take me disappearing through the smoke rings of my mind....

Bob Dylan

mausBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
4,191 posts

Posted:
Only made laksa a couple of times but my friend gave me this recipe:

1 lb Raw prawns

1 lb Mackerel

4 oz Crab meat

1 lb Fresh bean sprouts

1 lg Cucumber;peeled and coarsely

-grated
8 Spring onions

1/2 cup Fresh mint leaves

2 md Onions; quartered; finely sliced

2 cl Garlic; finely chopped

2 ts Grated lemon rind; finely chopped

6 Dried chillies; seeds removed

2 ts Dried shrimp paste, or standard fish paste

2 ts Ground turmeric

4 ts Ground coriander

8 c Coconut milk

2 ts Sugar

2 1/2 ts Salt; or to taste

Rice Vermicelli or extra fine egg noodles

Shell and devein prawns, reserving shells and heads. Drain these thoroughly. Remove any bones and skin from fish fillets and using a chopper, chop very finely. Mix in the salt and pepper and shape into small balls, or into a sausage-shaped roll and divide into finger-width slices. Pick over crab meat and discard any bony tissue.

Heat 2 tablespoons oil in a saucepan and when very hot throw in the prawn heads and shells and fry until they turn bright red. Add 8 cups water and 2 teaspoons salt, cover and simmer 20-30 minutes, then strain. Discard shells and heads. Return the stock to the heat, drop in the fish balls or slices and the prawns, cut into pieces if large. Return to the boil, then lower heat and simmer for 3-4 minutes. Set aside and keep warm.

Scald the rice vermicelli by pouring boiling water over it, then allow it to drain in a colander, or if you are using noodles, gently place in boiling water until just cooked,
Or soak it in warm water for 5-10 minutes, drain well. Scald the bean sprouts by pouring boiling water over. Rinse in cold water, washing off any loose skins. Pinch off straggly brown "tails." Slice spring onions finely, roughly chop mint leaves. Set aside each ingredient separately] until serving time.

TO MAKE THE SOUP: Heat remaining 3 tablespoons oil and fry the onions, garlic, and lemon rind until onions are golden. Stir in the laos powder, candlenuts, chillies, fish paste, turmeric and coriander. Add the prawn stock and when the soup comes to the boil add the coconut milk, sugar, and salt. Reduce heat and simmer, uncovered, for 10-15 minutes, stirring to prevent coconut milk curdling.

In each bowl, arrange a ladle of the vermicelli or noodles, enough to two-thirds fill the bowl. Add a handful of bean sprouts, a tablespoon each of cucumber, and sliced spring onions. Add also a large pinch of mint. Pour the boiling soup over and serve immediately. A hot sambal can be served along with this for individuals to add to their portion if desired. Serves 8-10.

FireTomStargazer
6,650 posts

Posted:
I remember eating the yummiest Laksa on the planet in some central subway station in Sydney... 6 years ago, this place might not exist anymore... guess it was the "Malaysian House" downstairs at Town Hall Station... or something like that

Due to this I went for an original malayan Laksa in Kuala Lumpur... bluargh, this was one of my nightmare food experiences, tell ya... eek

Will try the above recipe you provided, Maus - let ya know the outcome... smile

the best smiles are the ones you lead to wink

mausBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
4,191 posts

Posted:
I loved it...don't forget the crab though!mmmmm....

I preferred it with red crab, but I'm sure white will work just aswell! smile

DentrassiGOLD Member
ZORT!
3,045 posts

Posted:
cool - yes i could buy some paste easily from a supermarket - but am not particularly impressed with any of the pastes - so was looking for good recipes to make my own.

thanks for the recipe maus!

E ubbrollsmile

"Here kitty kitty...." - Schroedinger.