Forums > Social Discussion > Male vs Female fire spinners...

Login/Join to Participate

havocangelmember
53 posts

Posted:
Okay, I've been having a running discussion with my partner for about a week or so now all concerning a story we herd from another performer. He's pulling out all the stops on my set doing anything that I can think of that's techinaclly difficult.
Afterwards A friend of his comes up to me and says: "You know your burn was flawless and extreamly difficult techincally but I can't help but to watch her rather than you." I look over and see a girl with glowsticks doing butterflys.

My question is this: In you're opinion do males need to do more technically difficlut and more dangerous tricks than females when their are both male and female performers working at the same time?

Bubbles_SILVER Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,384 posts

Posted:
just a short quick idea, in my experience of watching others perform, for me although i appreciate the technicality of moves etc, its the performance itself that gets me.

how someone uses thier space and movement etc grabs my attention more than the moves they do.

its not so much a male vs female, or tech vs non tech, but more how aestheticallypleaseing it is..... for me anyways

Disclaimer:im not responsible for what i say or do whether it be before,during and after drinking alcoholic substances (owned by BMVC).
Creater of Jenisms(TM)
Virginity like bubble,one prick all gone.

MynciBRONZE Member
Macaque of all trades
8,738 posts

Posted:
i agree with jen. my staff stuff is a bit techy so I'm practicing some whole body movement stuff biggrin like my namesake.

also overly complicaed stuff can be a bit overwhelming. when I do a show I try to keep it relatively simple and tidy

A couple of balls short of a full cascade... or maybe a few cards short of a deck... we'll see how this all fans out.

ZeroGSILVER Member
Friendly Fire Fiddler
103 posts

Posted:
 Written by:

its the performance itself that gets me

Agree. It's about a dance rather than tricks.

Lots of guys, myself no exception, struggle a bit in the grace department and dont exactly float like angels while spinning, that doesnt look cool which 7 bt weaves can hardly compensate.

But generally men can move gracefully too -watch Tai Chi Masters, Matadors or Tango dancers- just footwork needs practise like the handstuff ... and sadly the fact of being female isnt a guarantee for grace either, there quite a few girlie hippos around too ...

So what do you do ? Strengthen the strength and iron out the weaknesses I suppose ...

NYCNYC
9,232 posts

Posted:
 Written by: havocangel

My question is this: In you're opinion do males need to do more technically difficlut and more dangerous tricks than females when their are both male and female performers working at the same time?

Absolutely, otherwise they won't get enough points to qualify for later rounds of the competition.

Wait, what competition?

wink

Certainly "Tech vs. Dance" has been a topic that has been discussed to death in millions of previous threads.

I prefer the "Sit back with your arms crossed and point out flaws in whomever is spinning"... as that beats Techy AND Dancey.

ubblol

Well, shall we go?
Yes, let's go.
[They do not move.]

havocangelmember
53 posts

Posted:
Well it's not really from a comptetive standpoint rather than just thorycraft on many situations. I approach fire spinning from more of a martial artist standpoint. Footwork to me is every bit as important as the technically difficult moves.

Maybe it's the crouds we perform for rather than the tech vs dance argument. I never really considered gender bias as a possability. Now thinking about it though, it does make a bit of sence. The majority of the crowds I've performed for in the area are mostly made up of guys. I just never see that because I'm pretty much a solo act right now sence my partner isn't ready for fire yet and just acts as safety right now.

Maybe in the next week or so I'll be able to put this to the test, hopefully she'll do her first burn tonight then I can get her to perform along side me.

mcpPLATINUM Member
Flying Water Muppet
5,276 posts

Posted:
 Written by: NYC

I prefer the "Sit back with your arms crossed and point out flaws in whomever is spinning"... as that beats Techy AND Dancey.

+1

"the now legendary" - Kaskade
"the still legendary" - Kaskade

I spunked in my friend's aquarium and the fish ate it. I love all fish. Especially the pink ones. They are my bitches. - Anon.

glowstickninja07newbie
2 posts

Posted:
i belive its all about the performance too. i am one of the lucky ones who can pull of 5 beat btb weaves and make them all look very gracefull. zeroG is right u really do have to work on the footwork as well as the handwork.

NYCNYC
9,232 posts

Posted:
 Written by: mcp

Written by: NYC

+1

Yeah, I was prettymuch thinking of you when I wrote that. wink

See you in two weeks. biggrin

Well, shall we go?
Yes, let's go.
[They do not move.]

jo_rhymesSILVER Member
Momma Bear
4,525 posts

Posted:
I agree with Jen smile

Hoppers are angels who lift us to our feet when our wings have trouble remembering how to fly.

alien_oddityCarpal \'Tunnel
7,193 posts

Posted:
people that just tech it, are trying too hard.............most people i learned off just did it...........looked like little or no effort, but my god could they spin!

Mint SauceBRONZE Member
veteran
1,453 posts

Posted:
im a tech head i love to wach a tecnical spinner and if they are good it is kind of like a dance as the more advanced moves incopret a whole range of boddy movements.

before i met those lot i thought they'd be a bunch of dreadlocked hippies that smoked, set things on fire ,and drank a lot of tea but then when i met them....oh wait (PyroWill)

StoneGOLD Member
Stream Entrant
2,829 posts

Posted:
How many times have we done this one ?????

Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr.

Guys learn to dance

If we as members of the human race practice meditation, we can transcend our fear, despair, and forgetfulness. Meditation is not an escape. It is the courage to look at reality with mindfulness and concentration. Thich Nhat Hanh

StoneGOLD Member
Stream Entrant
2,829 posts

Posted:
Post deleted by Stone

If we as members of the human race practice meditation, we can transcend our fear, despair, and forgetfulness. Meditation is not an escape. It is the courage to look at reality with mindfulness and concentration. Thich Nhat Hanh

IgirisujinSILVER Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
2,666 posts

Posted:
omg...ive just lost the use of my left hand...seriously....

anyway with one hand ill say - I have never 'noticed' the difference between ...oh my left hand is getting its use back now, it was pins and needles ive never had it in my wrist before...

erm i'll start again (wow that really was scary) ive never really noticed if a performer is a guy or a girl. On one hand ive seen the likes of Yuta thanks to hop videos, and on the other hand the tallented Glass. Neither has stood out because one haqs a vagina or not. Which is odd I would think ide be more into guys (hehe) performing but sex has never facterd into it.

Chief adviser to the Pharaoh, in one very snazzy mutli-coloured coat

'Time goes by so slowly for those who wait...' - Whatever Happend To Baby Madonna?

Bender_the_OffenderGOLD Member
still can't believe it's not butter
6,978 posts

Posted:
technicality and elegance are not mutually exclusive.
the convergence is the central focus of my twirling/dance/martial arts.
challenge yourself.

Laugh Often, Smile Much, Post lolcats Always

NYCNYC
9,232 posts

Posted:
 Written by: bender

technicality and elegance are not mutually exclusive.
the convergence is the central focus of my twirling/dance/martial arts.
challenge yourself.

It's unnatural to marry tech and dance together.

I'm pretty sure it's in the bible somewhere.

wink

Well, shall we go?
Yes, let's go.
[They do not move.]

GeoffonTour04SILVER Member
enthusiast
360 posts

Posted:
I'd say it probably depends on the audience.

I don't really see that much point spinning without music, I can't do anything I'd call technical so I'd be pretty boring to watch if I didn't fit the spinning into a beat.