Forums > Social Chat > How long did you play Poi/Staff before you lit them/it up?

Login/Join to Participate
Page:
HatsuyukiSILVER Member
37 posts

Posted:
I am curious, how long did you play Poi or Staff before your first burn?

I am playing Poi for a few months now (or about a year) and I still feel like a total newb. I absolutely dont' feel comfortable with the idea of lighting up my Poi right now. (Even if I owned Fire Poi). I know that I want to light'em up one day, but that's still in the future.

So I want to know how long did it take you? Did you just start off and played with fire from the beginning? Or did you take your time? How did you feel about it?

Thanks for your insights! hug

I don't suffer from insanity - I enjoy every minute of it.

JerryDSILVER Member
136 posts

Posted:
I spun poi for almost a year before lighting up. And when I lit up, it was during the final night of a workshop that I took. It was a very comfortable environment, as I felt comfortable in my skills and had been trained in fire safety by two professionals with years of experience.

If you don't feel ready, by all means don't light up. There is no rush!

I was touched by His Noodly Appendage

VampyricAcidSILVER Member
veteran
1,286 posts

Posted:
i spun for 3 months before i lit up, but it was 3 months of almost nonstop spinning and i had 2 people there who had been spinning for god knows how long and were totally prepared for the worst. I also bought fire poi half way through the 2nd month so i coul get used to them. like Jerry said Light up when you like, if ever, while fire is great for spectators, i dont find it that appealing anymore, i much prefere spinning with socks or cones

Proudly Owned By The BMVC

Are You Sniffing My Mitten?

PyroMonkeyGOLD Member
b...bal...lence?....
370 posts

Posted:
hmmm.... im gonna sound all stupid and unprepared....
lit my staff up the night i got it.... so spinning for about 9ish hours before lighting....

(although i used that 9 hours practising before it got dark)
twas at byron bay, and i managed to get a btb!!

dont go by my example though. just whenever it feels good to you.

HatsuyukiSILVER Member
37 posts

Posted:
This sounds like a great experience (both of you). (Or should I say three of you now!)

I am in absolutely no hurry to play with fire. I have a very healthy respect for it and don't want to rush. But I am very curious to hear about your experiences.

I think it's a great idea to try it out when you are in the company of experienced fire spinners. And that's the way I want to do it too (in a few years or so ^_~).
EDITED_BY: Hatsuyuki (1149027506)

Mr ChutneySILVER Member
Tosser
1,712 posts

Posted:
Over 2 years- if anyone has the patience I think its the way to go smile

PyroMonkeyGOLD Member
b...bal...lence?....
370 posts

Posted:
Although i did spin it really quickly, i did only stick to tricks that i felt comfortable with.

all it was was just 2beat weave and btb. they were the only things i did all day. but i had a hell of a time doing it.

but still, no rush smile
when eva u like
i was lucky tongue

Neon_ShaolinGOLD Member
hehe, 'Member' huhuh
6,120 posts

Posted:
Probably about 6 months. It was at my first HOP meet in Manchester as well before I actually signed onto HOP.

Yup, same - uncomplicated tricks before becoming more comfortable with every spin...

Honestly it was better than losing my virginity. Definitely less messy and no 'Coyote Ugly' syndrome... biggrin

"I used to want to change the world, now I just wanna leave the room with a little dignity..." - Lotus Weinstock

EveishGOLD Member
*Tickles pretty strangers*
610 posts

Posted:
Maybe three months after I learned the basics? tis hard to remember now...

What if I should fall right through the centre of the Earth and come out the other side where people walk upside-down?!

HatsuyukiSILVER Member
37 posts

Posted:
Wow you're so quick ^_^

I admire you're confidence, but I never was a fast learner and I'm supposed to be a cautious person wink

FyreBRONZE Member
enthusiast
315 posts

Posted:
i lit my staff the first night i got it.. tho that`s probably why i hit my self in the face with it ending up having crispy(no, i couldn`t think of any better adjective) eyelashes and a scald on my cheeck for weeks biggrin

If we can`t live in peace then fu*k it, let`s die.
The owner of Chellybeans right arm!

Peace -Fyre-

alien_oddityCarpal \'Tunnel
7,193 posts

Posted:
i was spinning for about 6 months before i lit up but it's totally up to you, if you feel confident enough, know the risks and have all the safety stuff ( fire blankets, fire extinguisher etc)

just do it in your own time is all i can say biggrin

ApexProjectBRONZE Member
5 posts

Posted:
same day =) I couldnt resist

KieronGOLD Member
232 posts

Posted:
A couple of weeks-ish I think, after tail poi got annoying. Meanwhile the interested friends i'll start teaching at some point aren't touching fire for some time/untill I and they think their ready to. My judgement is far better in relation to other people then myself.

Also my spare wicks are mega cathedrals and my main pair are monkeyfist ropes so I haven't got any that produce smaller amounts of fire for them to try.
EDITED_BY: Kieron (1149140844)

"I'm quite good at darts, though i often miss" - Kylie

"I'm not a bad driver, I just panic when theres other cars around" - Sarah

DenGadGOLD Member
45 posts

Posted:
With staff I practiced for 2 years before adding fire, with poi 3 months (started poi 3 years later than staff).
Main difference between fire and non-fire is without fire I experiment a lot; with fire I stick to moves that I am 100% comfortable with.
Especially the first burn; stick to the most basic to get used to having flame circling around you.

poibabyBRONZE Member
9 posts

Posted:
i was spinning staff a bout a week before i lit up and poi three days . . . but both in a comfortable enviornment with people i trusted and who knew what they were doing. . .

like everyone else says, just do what you're comfortable with and when you're comfortable . . . it's like popping your cherry, you know when the moment is right . . . and when it comes . . . so do you! weavesmiley
EDITED_BY: poibaby (1149151310)

pitmanSILVER Member
addict
544 posts

Posted:
i was spining poi for about 3 weeks then took some kids to ireland (im a youth worker not a nonce) and there was this guy in the hostel who spand staff and didi rope dart and he made me my first set of fire poi and i lit them as soon as he gave them to me. i found that i new a few basic moves and were confitable with them and as soon as i used fire poi i found they were easyer and i would pick up moves faster because i concentrate harder with fire. i dont have respect for it i am just kinda fond of my eyebrows. lol

DONT DO DRUGS THERE BAD FOR YOU.
SO GIVE THEM ALL TO ME AND I WILL GET RID OF THEM FOR YOU!

HatsuyukiSILVER Member
37 posts

Posted:
wow I really like the diversity in your experiences smile

keep'em coming PurrEase ^_^

clap bounce2 clap wow

MynciBRONZE Member
Macaque of all trades
8,738 posts

Posted:
Mines a bit weird...

I learnt to juggle clubs when I was 12 at a circus tent at a local show.

then when I found out about the spinners in bournemouth I went down and met everyone. I then went and bought 3 normal clubs and 3 fire clubs.

had an hour practicing felt very smooth with my actions so did fire that night.

once i had experienced the utter panic that is juggling fire clubs when I took up staff I lit up the same night too.

and the rest...is history.

(I will point out that I can be a VERY quick learner and had some contact moves learnt the 1st hour of learning staff)

A couple of balls short of a full cascade... or maybe a few cards short of a deck... we'll see how this all fans out.

HatsuyukiSILVER Member
37 posts

Posted:
that's awesome mynci smile

I'd like to have some talent ^_^

MynciBRONZE Member
Macaque of all trades
8,738 posts

Posted:
not awsome so much as strange. once you have had your first go at juggling fire clubs the rest seems pretty moot.
you keep hold of a staff and I only did simple stuff I knew I could do... besides...it was a bit chilly wink

A couple of balls short of a full cascade... or maybe a few cards short of a deck... we'll see how this all fans out.

blu_valleySILVER Member
fluffy mess
197 posts

Posted:
Ummm, I was spinning poi for over a year before I lit up. But I wasnt spinning very regularly and I only knew three moves and how to turn with them, but I was very comfortable in those moves and turns...

"I want to know if you can see beauty even when it's not pretty, every day,and if you can source your own life from its presence.." - Oriah Mountain Dreamer

muddnewbie
9 posts

Posted:
first time i ever tried poi was fired up... thats the first time id seen em.
the fire gives it all that edge and inspiration i recon best of gettin stuck in and burnt straight away then your scared and never look back.

strugzBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,964 posts

Posted:
4.5 years ago i bought a set of poi from this site.

about 10mins after getting them i lit them biggrin

I was stupid back then and thought i knew lots about spinning, luckily some things change, but some things stay the same.

IE - i now know lots about spinning, but im still stupid biggrin

ubbloco

"...We don't stop playing because we get old, we get old because we stop playing......."

HatsuyukiSILVER Member
37 posts

Posted:
wow I'm already afraid of my LED lighted glow balls...

(because they HURRRRRT #-/)

pitmanSILVER Member
addict
544 posts

Posted:
 Written by: Hatsuyuki

wow I'm already afraid of my LED lighted glow balls...

(because they HURRRRRT #-/)

lol god man be very afraid. they if there the ones that change colour they trip me out hard when im mashed spining poi and they scare [censored] out of me lol

DONT DO DRUGS THERE BAD FOR YOU.
SO GIVE THEM ALL TO ME AND I WILL GET RID OF THEM FOR YOU!

HatsuyukiSILVER Member
37 posts

Posted:
Well they don't change colors, but they still should be the same ones. (I bought the white ones) I absolutely love them as they look gorgeous in the dark.

But... don't bring them into contact with the southern region... excl mad2 ooooops meditate

SunnySammySILVER Member
Watching the Sky
453 posts

Posted:
been almost a year and i havent lit-up yet.

i started on my bday and hope to do it this year on my bday too. the thing is im a lonesom learner! so i cant exactly lite-up there and then! i havnt got a clue! i need to find someone at home to give me a hand because im looking forward to it if it does happen.

sunny
I jumped into the river, what did i see?
Black-eyed angels swam with me. wink

Pogo69SILVER Member
there's no charge for awesomeness... or attractiveness
3,764 posts

Posted:
 Written by: strugz

about 10mins after getting them i lit them biggrin

I'd spun, lit up, about 10 mins after trying it the 1st time, too... was handed a lit stick, so I figured if someone's handing me a lit stick, I must be ok to give it a go??? eek

that was about 6-7 weeks ago... I spin less fire now than I did in the 1st couple of weeks, cause I now know enough to see the need to learn stuff more thoroughly before trying it with burning firesol on the ends of the staff...

--pogo (pat) [forever and always]

alien_oddityCarpal \'Tunnel
7,193 posts

Posted:
i lit up my fire staff the day i got it ubblol and singed my hair......................it got better though, first time i did a burn off................same thing ubblol but if you look in my inro thread you can see i managed to nail some nice moves

HatsuyukiSILVER Member
37 posts

Posted:
I think I start to see a few tendencies here... ^_^

Page: