Saskeahmember
43 posts

Posted:
Hi.

Okay, I started doing poi about a year and a half ago, and (without meaning to play my own horn) I found myself learning things a lot faster than most people. Problematic, in this city, because I've cleared what most people can do. I know most basic tricks, I spin some fire, and now I've kinda hit a wall and I'm looking for somewhere to go.

So I started playing just the tiniest little bit with wraps, but it seems like opening a can of worms. I'm wondering if there's anything that might be helpful to start off learning, anything like that. Right now I've just kind of toyed with wrapping the poi around my wrists to add extra rotations, pretty simple stuff, and I haven't really mastered it. Help?

ubbrollsmile

LazyAngelGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
2,895 posts

Posted:
smilereadme

Because ActiveAngel sounds like a feminine deodorant

Like sex, I'm much more interesting in real life than online.

'Be the change you want to see in the world around you' - Ghandi

Saskeahmember
43 posts

Posted:
...right. Searching. I'm good at this adhering to rules thing.
.../embarassed
Thanks.

UCOFSILVER Member
15,417 posts

Posted:
Theres an icon for that.
It goes like: redface

biggrin

hug

Saskeahmember
43 posts

Posted:
Haha. It's pretty exact. I'll remember next time, I swear.

StoutBRONZE Member
Pooh-Bah
1,872 posts

Posted:
I got into wraps by watching glowstringing videos there's lota over at https://www.glowsticking.com/
you need to register for it to download

A guy on this site, Kael got Rice, has a great one called Goodbye to Chicago, I tried searching it for you, but got distracted by ravergirl videos biggrin

Saskeahmember
43 posts

Posted:
Hahaha. Thanks.

StoutBRONZE Member
Pooh-Bah
1,872 posts

Posted:
That'll get you started, and I have to point out the obvious, you don't want to be trying full glowstringer wraps with chains, but you'll get some great examples of where on your body to wrap?bounce, and some great ideas for combos too.

DutSILVER Member
lurker
380 posts

Posted:
Written by: stout

That'll get you started, and I have to point out the obvious, you don't want to be trying full glowstringer wraps with chains, but you'll get some great examples of where on your body to wrap?bounce, and some great ideas for combos too.

i disagree. what you first and foremost don't want to do is ever look at any category of moves as restricted to one prop or unlearnable or too advanced. i can do a good bit of the Tekno Turtles basics with chains, tho most of the UTL, BTB, extended wrap sequences, etc, I never would have tried if I didn't see how easy they made it look. now i have no problems with one handed butterfly double neck wraps on fire. don't forget there are airwraps, thruwraps, and even *gasp* longsleeves and pants if you like to do bounce wraps and happen to be using fire. wink

as for bounce wraps, the "secret" to looking like a kickass stringwrapper is to work as much on your same arm/leg wraps as on your opposite arm/leg wraps. there are even "5-beat" wraps and tangle+wraps, wrap+wraps, etc. i could litterally talk about wraps and wrap sequences for days. PM me anytime.

-- dut

StoutBRONZE Member
Pooh-Bah
1,872 posts

Posted:
Dut, you can do wraps like an opposite arm bicep or forearm wrap where the string fully wraps around the limb...with chains? I've had no luck with this, and I even have to exercise caution when doing a windmill-> kickwrap with chains, because I'm finding that chain tends to dig into whatever limb I wrap it around, whereas string pulls off quite nicely.

Maybe it's the chain I'm using, but at this stage I'm hesitant to suggest that someone new to the idea of wraps is going to be happy with the results their going to get after being inspired by videos shot spinning with string.

Hand wraps? yea, for sure, and all the bouncing in the world, even with fire on bare skin if you want,that is, if you like the smell of burning hair devil

Now,,if only I could get that stupid spiral wrap more reliable with fire, I'd be one happy spinner.

DutSILVER Member
lurker
380 posts

Posted:
Written by: stout

Dut, you can do wraps like an opposite arm bicep or forearm wrap where the string fully wraps around the limb...with chains? I've had no luck with this, and I even have to exercise caution when doing a windmill-> kickwrap with chains, because I'm finding that chain tends to dig into whatever limb I wrap it around, whereas string pulls off quite nicely.

Maybe it's the chain I'm using, but at this stage I'm hesitant to suggest that someone new to the idea of wraps is going to be happy with the results their going to get after being inspired by videos shot spinning with string.

all very true. i guess my point was that you shouldn't think certain moves are completely untryable, whereas you were more saying "don't give up if you do try and it doesn't look like the pictures"? hehe. i don't think we're in disagreement, but just talking in different directions. biggrin

yes, i can "wrap" biceps/legs/etc with chain like that where it fully wraps, and has to be dragged off, and even some of the glowstringing "tracer" moves with chain (tho not at full speed). more likely tho, if i'm doing double bicep (or equivalent) wraps with chains (and especially fire), i'll do a "bounce wrap" instead of what you're describing as a "full wrap". hopefully, if just the wick itself touches my arm (assuming i'm wearing longsleeves) or the last link of chain + wick, there's a wrist flick that will pull it back off quickly. or i'll let the chain hit my arm halfway down the chain (above where it's blisteringly hot) and turn with it as a "through wrap". hmm. i might actually have a picture! imagine that --
https://photobucket.com/albums/a234/ifatree_caught_fire/?action=view¤t=FirePoi015.jpg

^^ double handcuff wraps work the exact same way. i dunno. i've had other people question this, but imagine that there's one safe way to wrap with fire, and that's what I do. you might also see from the pic that i also have kevlar arm guards (and full kevlar gloves) for when i really want to play with new wraps with fire. wink i personally think it's a bit crazy to wrap spirals on fire without gloves! haha..

-- dut

StoutBRONZE Member
Pooh-Bah
1,872 posts

Posted:
See, it comes down to a matter of terminology and interpretation. I don't know where I got that "full string wrap" term from, somewhere online, because any terms that I invent are not printable in a PG website such as this. Good on ya for being able to pull these off with chains. I've "accidentially" tried with less than impressive results, but this usually only happens if I'm going from spinning glowsticks to fire chains.

Then there was that time I tried a handwrap with lit double wicks........oops

I was assuming the OP was wanting to know about wraps as transitions and hopefully she's taken that list of wraps to heart and picked out the ones she's happy with ( I printed that list and carried it for a month ) but I didn't miss the reference to through wraps, but there's some things in there she's going to have trouble with if she's using chains. OP,,, where are you?

Arm guards are probably a good idea, but I've never had any problems using long sleeves when wrapping with fire, it's all a matter of timing, like not wrapping in the first minute of my burn. and not going into a wrap immediatly after swinging a series of pendulums. Bird's handwrap accident photo has been etched into my mind permanently.

I've never burned myself trying a spiral wrap without gloves I've tried more times than I care to admit but for some reason this isn't something I've ever successfully pulled off. Sure,,,it works great in practice unlit, but when it goes funny with fire, I find it's just a simple matter of pointing my hands downwards to let gravity rid me of the whole mess. That's wrapping on the hands though, wrists would be a different story.

KaelGotRiceGOLD Member
Basu gasu bakuhatsu - because sometimes buses explode
1,584 posts

Posted:
... those of us who take our glowstringing seriously don't have complicated names for wraps... they're just wraps!

We have wraps, then the name of the body part wraps are on, thruwraps and duowraps, and some wraps are deeper and others shorter, but that's it. We don't name wraps anything complicated. You try asking any serious glowstringer about wrapping beats and they'd laugh at you.

hahah.

Anything you can do with glowies you can do with fire. Anything. It takes some strength, getting used to, and protective gear.

Is it safe? no. Is it easy? no. But is it possible? Yes.

I've done neck traces with my fire set. I wouldn't recommend it to ANYONE, but it's possible with the right combination of skill and protective gear (and luck) wink I've also messed it up once and seriously burned my neck. Really badly. I thought my face was going to burn off and I was going to die badly. But luckily I was able to throw it off before my safety even had a chance to intervene.

Now if you want a decent video with what is possible with kevlar sleeves and gloves, see my video here.

https://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-6311749117520026988&q=kael+sunsets

I'll be doing a better one soon, but it gives you an idea of what is possible.

PS - Don't even bother thinking about wrapping with anything other than ballchain.

Also, what you'll be wanting is something like these https://store.yahoo.com/botach/hatchks1619.html

Credit goes to NYC for showing me those. Even if you screw up wraps with fire, you'll have a few seconds to untangle. ubbrollsmile

To do: More Firedrums 08 video?

Wildfire/US East coast fire footage

LA/EDC glow/fire footage

Fresno fire

Ange_GSCGOLD Member
HOP's glowstick ambassador!!
128 posts

Posted:
Here is a link to a GSC tutorial that covers most basic wraps if you're interested, it's very helpful.

GSC Wrap 101

missegyptology: "I just remember beingall off balance and unicycling really fast down to campus and the arabic was all blurred on the page"

^When Linz pulls an all nighter before Arabic class^

StoutBRONZE Member
Pooh-Bah
1,872 posts

Posted:
OK, I went out and had a spin with my unlit wicks last night, and managed to pull off several full, deep wraps using link chain. It worked, it just sucked that's all. I'll go out and get some ballchain this morning.

I like the kevlar sleeve idea, I've never seen them before, but I have heard of them, and the picture in my mind......Well,, had them made out of wicking material biggrin

Great video Kael, I've always liked your spinning style and I think that's the first fire video of yours that I've seen.

NYCNYC
9,232 posts

Posted:
Kael rocks. smile

Well, shall we go?
Yes, let's go.
[They do not move.]