Forums > Technical Discussion > Pain Pain go away go away - won't you come back...

Login/Join to Participate

FireTomStargazer
6,650 posts

Posted:
YEAH I know I brought it upon myself... getting to bed at midnight got up up at 4am, travelling-time 10 hours, heat, more heat and sweating, not sleeping and going to the beach at night - watching the Drop-In crew spinning with what I consider MONSTER-Staff...

120cm's of almost SOLID wick - the handle is only ~20cm wide.

...and windy conditions... shrug and I just wanted to try double staff - it was just sucking me to do it!!!!!!!!!!! ubbloco

...now it doesn't even slightly scream for repetition (under these circumstances at least! wink ) and my advice to you: DON'T!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Putting up fire to play with it and having the primal fear of getting burnt is like
Getting born and living with the primal fear of dying ---> ridiculous! wink

the best smiles are the ones you lead to wink

TinklePantsGOLD Member
Clique Infiltrator, Cunning Linguist and Master Debator
4,219 posts

Posted:
I still don't understand why you're in pain though, even after reading your post....

Always use "so's your face" and "only on Tuesdays" in as many conversations possible

Suibomaddict
577 posts

Posted:
Heh.. the message was pretty obtuse was it not?

Definition of poi- A Hawaiian food made from the tuber of the taro that is cooked, pounded to a paste, and fermented.

Ahnold discussing poi - "It is naht a toober!"

darkpoetBRONZE Member
Irish
525 posts

Posted:
lol take it apart....hes saying w\a handle of only 20cm he burnt the crap outta himself

good job m8 =P

Jesus saves sinners and redeems them for cash and
prizes

Co-Founder of Keepers of Light

Educate yourself about the Hazards of Fire Breathing STAY SAFE!

FireTomStargazer
6,650 posts

Posted:
wink @tinkle: JUST DOn't DO IT wink please ubbangel

9 (!) severe blisters and burns on hands and chest within 1 evening... ubblol that's my personal record so far! ubblol

I'll add some pictures of the present toy and firetwirling within 24hrs... no worries, they will be self-explanatory... biggrin

My hands recover better than expected, so there will be more twirling 2night.. biggrin devil

*HyperLightBRONZE Member
old hand
1,174 posts

Posted:
I think he's trying to say that he spun a 1.2m firestaff which has ~0.5m of wick on each end... which sounds to me as though it would be pretty heavy and very hot. Bet it looks cool though wink

Cake or Death?

TinklePantsGOLD Member
4,219 posts

Posted:
Ah I see now. blisters. ouch dude.
some advice... DON'T BURN YOURSELF!
lol wink

Always use "so's your face" and "only on Tuesdays" in as many conversations possible

MynciBRONZE Member
Macaque of all trades
8,738 posts

Posted:
Ouchie....hmmm try Kevlar gloves wink or wrist protectors

A couple of balls short of a full cascade... or maybe a few cards short of a deck... we'll see how this all fans out.

Fine_Rabid_DogInternet Hate Machine
10,530 posts

Posted:
Written by: Mynci

Ouchie....hmmm try Kevlar gloves wink or wrist protectors

What're you, a damn dandy? Act like yo' got a pair, ya wuss.

The existance of flamethrowers says that someone, somewhere, at sometime said "I need to set that thing on fire, but it's too far away."

JayKittyGOLD Member
Mission: Ignition
534 posts

Posted:
I used to use kevlar sleeves... but i got tired of shaving, it works out easier.

Don't mind me, just passing through.

FireTomStargazer
6,650 posts

Posted:
hmmmmmmmmmmmmm kevlar gloves.... to me (after 10yrs spinning fire) that'd be like using condoms with my wedded one... ubblol wink

TinklePantsGOLD Member
4,219 posts

Posted:
safety first haha

MynciBRONZE Member
Macaque of all trades
8,738 posts

Posted:
Don't have a go at me...I only suggested them (frodo had wrist guards wink )

I just suggested them coz someone got hurt / complained that fire was hot ubblol

FRD don't start on me twiglet boy tongue wink

A couple of balls short of a full cascade... or maybe a few cards short of a deck... we'll see how this all fans out.

FireTomStargazer
6,650 posts

Posted:
Wrist guards? confused How can they help me in this case?... I have zero blisters on my wrists wink smile

But thanks for your advice smile

I just come to the fact, that I will
a) use band-aid for poi spinning (my index fingers get f****ed from buzzsawing every time) and
b) no longer handle staff that don't provide minimal handspace

@hyper: no they cotton - it's really only meant for one night spinning and is fixed with steel wire... the stick is VERY light for the ammount of fire it deploys... eek

They told me back what I have ignorantly stated 3 years ago: MORE FIRE is GOOD... rolleyes now I had to pay for it... shrug it's allright... I should have used correct terms:

"More fire is good - up to a certain point and only if it's not the main objective - attached to a proper staff"

rolleyes

Besides: I feel a little concerned about a) the fire (un)safety that is present on haad rin beach and b) how much kerosene is running down the beach every night (not even thinking of the fumes going off)... but how could I possibly tell them that what they are doing is wrong????

Fine_Rabid_DogInternet Hate Machine
10,530 posts

Posted:

FRD don't start on me twiglet boy tongue wink

Twiglet boy!?

eek

The hell!?

Is being such a wuss making you delirious or sumink?

Erm... I belive there's a saying... possibly from the Marines or somthing... it goes "No pain, no gain, so quit complaing ya damn wuss and put yer miserable back into it". wink

The existance of flamethrowers says that someone, somewhere, at sometime said "I need to set that thing on fire, but it's too far away."

colemanSILVER Member
big and good and broken
7,330 posts

Posted:

yep, all newbies tend to get round to using them for a while at least wink

cole. x

"i see you at 'dis cafe.
i come to 'dis cafe quite a lot myself.
they do porridge."
- tim westwood

FireTomStargazer
6,650 posts

Posted:
bu thow do wrist guards protect your small fingers or edges of your hand + the space between thumb and index?

and if they do... how could you possibly spin nicely with them?

confused

MokaGOLD Member
is a medium/large scary man
420 posts

Posted:
The time I used a staff similar to what you described, we stole a set of Firemans gloves... lol The worked really well and had pretty good movement in them...

Contact juggling was invented by dung beetles.

darkpoetBRONZE Member
Irish
525 posts

Posted:
cant say ive ever used gloves or armlets....but then again ive had my arms burnt so much i think ive lost nerve tissue cause i barely feel it anymore ubbloco

Jesus saves sinners and redeems them for cash and
prizes

Co-Founder of Keepers of Light

Educate yourself about the Hazards of Fire Breathing STAY SAFE!

FrodoBRONZE Member
old hand
1,092 posts

Posted:
Stop being a girl, if you make the prop, use it, and stop crying about it.....

Written by: coleman

cole. x

Lol!!

Im not the only one!! And there good for wraps! Big ones, as of late ive been spinning 7 nights a week in clubs etc, and they would help....

I must add, dunc was the provider of such tools, and strugz, 2bags, dunc and a few others have been seen wearing them.........

Strugz had a set of 1.4 metre doubles with wick wrapped all the way down the handles leaving about 20 centremetres for grip......

If you learnt to spin it, then you wouldnt burn yourself with it!!

passing through, this world still lives.

mechBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
6,207 posts

Posted:
Written by: Frodo

Stop being a girl, if you make the prop, use it, and stop crying about it.....

Written by: coleman

cole. x

Lol!!

Im not the only one!! And there good for wraps! Big ones, as of late ive been spinning 7 nights a week in clubs etc, and they would help....

I must add, dunc was the provider of such tools, and strugz, 2bags, dunc and a few others have been seen wearing them.........

Strugz had a set of 1.4 metre doubles with wick wrapped all the way down the handles leaving about 20 centremetres for grip......

If you learnt to spin it, then you wouldnt burn yourself with it!!

i wear them cole, are you saying im a newbie wink

Step (el-nombrie)

Mr MajestikSILVER Member
coming to a country near you
4,696 posts

Posted:
obviously, he must be wink.

i've havent burnt my arms ever, maybe cause i do a crazy thing..............practice without fire!!!!! ubbloco

mjk, what a madman!

"but have you considered there is more to life than your eyelids?"

jointly owned by Fire_Spinning_Angel and Blu_Valley

FireTomStargazer
6,650 posts

Posted:
and perform with elms-fire tongue wink

FireTomStargazer
6,650 posts

Posted:
Do you also notice there is this difference in the "quality" of pain? Meaning that there is the ordinary "ouch, I scratched myself with this censored brasswire in my Kevlar" to the "Yikes! I ripped a significant patch of skin off my upper arm, doing this wrap! - Hullbrakes - skin-integrity compromised!" :eeks:

But sometimes a (minor) hullbrake occurs and one only notices the next morning - these are the performances that really kicked! devil

And besides: I advocate Butter, or Aloe-Vera as an "afterburn"... and ice! Lots of ICE to take the heat away!